Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
Dave was awesome and this news loving sucks. Over the years I've had the privilege to see GWAR 23 times, and interview Dave Brockie 4 times for multiple publications. Getting the text this morning about it was devastating.

He was a talented artist and a great guy, I'm glad I had the chance to know him.

Edit: Rough day, I can't spell.

Whargoul fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

There's no way they can go on without Brockie. I mean, they can try, but it just won't be the same. His voice is so unique and is such a big part of their sound that some dude with a generic metal voice would ruin it.

He's also, for lack of a better way of putting it, the creative/artistic director behind it.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Yeah, of course, that too.

He's irreplaceable on several levels.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
RIP Dave, like others have said, 50 is far too young.

On a lighter note, Cormorant's new album is up for preorder with a couple of tracks to preview. If you like prog/black metal you should be all over this. Dwellings was excellent. http://cormorant.bandcamp.com/album/earth-diver

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
This is the new Arch Enemy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRMwptcgAo

I'm not sure how I feel about this, their last album is boring but maybe changing things up will help?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Interested to see what Cormorant does with the new frontman/bassist. I loving loved all of their previous material and Arthur von Nagel is a cool fuckin' dude if my interactions with him via the GameFAQs metal board are anything to go by. I know he's super stoked about the new guy.

deathfalls
Oct 28, 2003
death cult armageddon

Wow, these guys sound a bit different than I remember from In The Halls of Awaiting.

I was so loving bummed today to hear about Brockie dying. Saw Gwar live quite a few times, and got to see The Dave Brockie Experience once, all loving awesome. RIP :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Anarchist Mae posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, their last album is boring but maybe changing things up will help?

The music isn't really anything mindblowing, but it's not awful, and I like Alissa's vocals. It has a kind of sharpness to it that Angela's didn't have (but to be honest I liked her too).

Back onto Japanese metal, I found Galmet and they're pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB54Y4CD8xY

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Arch Enemy have always been competent at their style, good but usually not exceptional. After listening again Alissa sounds like Angela, but as you said sharper, and perhaps able to hit higher notes while growling. I think she'd almost be able to pull of performing with Vektor.

This was my first Arch Enemy song, still pretty drat brutal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1QvajSGuOM

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
David Brockie died? I don't understand. What will Antarctica do without its rightful ruler?

He'll live forever in the hearts of the true believers :smith:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Column of Heaven (ex-The Endless Blockade members) has made all their music available for free on bandcamp. If you like good grind, check them out. https://survivalistdeathcult.bandcamp.com/music

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

deathfalls posted:

I was so loving bummed today to hear about Brockie dying. Saw Gwar live quite a few times, and got to see The Dave Brockie Experience once, all loving awesome. RIP :(

Even though I've seen GWAR probably a dozen times over the past 15 years, I'm sad that I was "too tired" to go to their last show in my area. I even had tickets!

I'm hoping they still do the GWAR-B-Q this summer as a Dave Brockie memorial festival. Assuming my personal and professional life align with the dates, I'll be there.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ithaqua posted:

Even though I've seen GWAR probably a dozen times over the past 15 years, I'm sad that I was "too tired" to go to their last show in my area. I even had tickets!

I'm hoping they still do the GWAR-B-Q this summer as a Dave Brockie memorial festival. Assuming my personal and professional life align with the dates, I'll be there.

Same. When I saw they had announced the date for the next GWAR-B-Q I thought to myself "this is the year I'll get to go." If they still have it I'm gonna go because gently caress you death you suck.

I had so many people come up to me at work today and ask me if it were true, and had a lot of people genuinely worried about how I was taking it. Ever since my first time seeing them years ago I would drag anyone I could to go with me, and every. single. time. the person came out of the show with their minds blown.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Anarchist Mae posted:

I wonder how she feels about wearing anti-capitalist propaganda sponsored by Century Media

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Sorry if it's old news, but Metallica's Dio/Rainbow Tribute "Ronnie Rising" is pretty good (part of the upcoming "This is Your Life" Dio tribute albume):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zHdU08GyQ

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Anarchist Mae posted:

She can't growl like Angela. Sick solo though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Anarchist Mae posted:

I like that track. I also liked Angela, but this new girl isn't bad at all. She has her own style, which is fine by me. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Also, I'd like to point out that Ranger have put their EP up on Bandcamp ages ago, which somehow escaped me. Go get it, it's loving grade A speed metal. http://rangerheavymetal.bandcamp.com/album/knights-of-darkness

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Orgophlax posted:

Sorry if it's old news, but Metallica's Dio/Rainbow Tribute "Ronnie Rising" is pretty good (part of the upcoming "This is Your Life" Dio tribute albume):

I want to know who they got to record this, because Metallica sound loving mighty in this.

Oddly enough, it being a medley gives a similar experience to listening to "Lords Of Summer"

H13 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 26, 2014

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Nordick posted:

I like that track. I also liked Angela, but this new girl isn't bad at all. She has her own style, which is fine by me. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

I don't know about "own style". It felt to me like she was attempting to copy Angela down to the vocal style and "moves" (for want of a better word). She's got a good voice, but until she does something more unique I really couldn't tell the difference by ear alone.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

I don't know about "own style". It felt to me like she was attempting to copy Angela down to the vocal style and "moves" (for want of a better word). She's got a good voice, but until she does something more unique I really couldn't tell the difference by ear alone.

Here's Alissa with the Agonist (apparently now her old band), who happen to be one of my favorites. Not sure if I like their new vocalist now that I've had a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktern47YmPo

As for the new AA, well, I'll probably have to pick it up now. I didn't much like Angela's vocals, she always sounded a bit flat to me, kinda like she was trying too hard to sound like generic growly deathmetal dude. On the other hand, I love Alissa, she's got great range, and can sing clean too, if they want to go in that direction. And as far as wearing anti-capitalist propaganda goes, that's right up her alley...great singer, kinda stupid worldview. Win some, lose some, I guess.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm curious.

Metal to me has always had some of the silliest or most eye-rolling lyrics I've ever heard. It's been a very long time since I cared about how good the lyrics were in a song. If they WERE good, then hell yeah I'd get into it, otherwise I'd ignore it.

I thought this approach was fairly universal. Do people in metal really give a poo poo about the lyrics?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm curious.

Metal to me has always had some of the silliest or most eye-rolling lyrics I've ever heard. It's been a very long time since I cared about how good the lyrics were in a song. If they WERE good, then hell yeah I'd get into it, otherwise I'd ignore it.

I thought this approach was fairly universal. Do people in metal really give a poo poo about the lyrics?

It's pretty universal.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hammer Floyd posted:

I've been a metalhead for over 25 years now and I don't think I've ever disliked a song because of the lyrics, to put it that way. One has to develop a certain amount of tolerance for ridiculous poo poo.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Depends on your tastes I guess. There are a lot of lyrics about gore and death for sure, but then there are quite a number of songs with poignant or angry lyrics that can actually be quite moving, at least to me.

Arch Enemy - Shadows and Dust
The sun sets on our sinking ship of fools
On our journey into oblivion
We ask ourselves again and again
Now will we be remembered

Sepultura - Territory
Years of fighting
Teaching my son
To believe in that man
Racist human being
Racist ground will live
Shame and regret
Of the pride
You've once possessed

Mortal Sin - Lebanon
Sound of bombs runs through the air
In the streets of Lebanon
Hate filled soldiers everywhere
The troops of Babylon

So, how do you define good lyrics?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Tolerating or ignoring stupid lyrics does not mean one cannot appreciate good lyrics.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I always just thought it was shouting and growling noises :shrug:

Actually, it's funny how well I can understand the lyrics of the most uncomprehensible gutteral grunts.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Or you could listen to Immolation and understand everything because Ross Dolan rules

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I always just thought it was shouting and growling noises :shrug:

Actually, it's funny how well I can understand the lyrics of the most uncomprehensible gutteral grunts.

It takes a while to get used to, for sure. My fiance doesn't like metal very much (just sever etc., I know) but after exposing her to it for some four years she's starting to understand what they are growling about. Took me a while to adjust when I started getting into that kind of metal as well. As for lyrical content, if the lyrics are good? Great! If not, I basically just think of the vocals as added percussion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Martout posted:

It takes a while to get used to, for sure. My fiance doesn't like metal very much (just sever etc., I know) but after exposing her to it for some four years she's starting to understand what they are growling about. Took me a while to adjust when I started getting into that kind of metal as well. As for lyrical content, if the lyrics are good? Great! If not, I basically just think of the vocals as added percussion.
Growled vocals basically have to be percussively interesting for me. If some idiot is barking over an awesome riff with this totally uninspired vocal rhythm, they've lost me. Just leave it an instrumental and spare me the pretense. Lyrics themselves don't matter to me per se, but intricate lyrical wordplay often lends itself to some pretty great rhythmic work behind it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Misogynist posted:

Growled vocals basically have to be percussively interesting for me. If some idiot is barking over an awesome riff with this totally uninspired vocal rhythm, they've lost me. Just leave it an instrumental and spare me the pretense. Lyrics themselves don't matter to me per se, but intricate lyrical wordplay often lends itself to some pretty great rhythmic work behind it.

This is why AA works so well in the gym

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Misogynist posted:

Oh totally, no matter how good the lyrics, if the delivery is lacking it all just falls completely flat - especially live.

Was goint to post an example of good lyrics with bad delivery but my at-work, coffee-starved brain is drawing a blank, probably because I don't really care to remember those bands!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Orgophlax posted:

Hey, this is actually surprisingly good. Best poo poo Metallica has done in years, easily. It's funny listening to Hetfield try to work around his limited range though, especially in Stargazer.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Mh, bad choice of words from me. I just mean she still sounds distinctly different to me, despite adopting some mannerisms.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm curious.

Yeah, I don't usually pay much attention to lyrical content unless it's better than usual or excessively lovely (be it in a funny or annoying way). Wuthering Heights comes to mind as a band with lots of lyrics that are actually good enough to outright make the good songs even better. And Alestorm would pretty much be just another band without the hilariously ridiculous pirate schtick.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been in a little bit of a thrash kick over the last week or so, and wanted to share a lesser known band from the german scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yc4nhr739w

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Anarchist Mae posted:

Depends on your tastes I guess. There are a lot of lyrics about gore and death for sure, but then there are quite a number of songs with poignant or angry lyrics that can actually be quite moving, at least to me.

Arch Enemy - Shadows and Dust
The sun sets on our sinking ship of fools
On our journey into oblivion
We ask ourselves again and again
Now will we be remembered

Sepultura - Territory
Years of fighting
Teaching my son
To believe in that man
Racist human being
Racist ground will live
Shame and regret
Of the pride
You've once possessed

I wonder how much of it is because a lot of bands are writing in a non-native language.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

There are some bands, like Discordance Axis or Portal, where the really bizarre abstract lyricism is part of the appeal. Voivod generally have pretty entertaining lyrics too, with some element of political commentary/parody going on.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Hammer Floyd posted:

I want to know who they got to record this, because Metallica sound loving mighty in this.

Oddly enough, it being a medley gives a similar experience to listening to "Lords Of Summer"

Dio's wife Wendy produced the album.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Polegrinder posted:

Dio's wife Wendy produced the album.

I doubt she was sitting at the console, tweaking knobs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martout posted:

As for lyrical content, if the lyrics are good? Great! If not, I basically just think of the vocals as added percussion.

Metal lyrics are often enough incomprehensible within certain genres or are in another language to the point that I think it'd be hard to be really into it if you weren't able to view vocals as another instrument.

That said, can I overlook really really lame lyrics? After Forever's Invisible Circles is a good album in my opinion, so yes times a thousand. That album is downright embarrassingly silly in its lyrical content.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

comes along bort posted:

I doubt she was sitting at the console, tweaking knobs.

Yeah people keep bringing this up as if she was more than an executive producer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

For anyone in SoCal, the Scion Rockfest full line up