Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
If I throw in a ribeye for 13ish hours at 131°, would it be dramatically different than if it was only in there for a couple of hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It might be unpleasantly mushy.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chemmy posted:

It might be unpleasantly mushy.

Doubt it, the temp is low enough to not do weird stuff to the texture in 13h.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lovely pic, but just finished some 72 hour short ribs, didn't even need a knife. Very good for $4 a pound.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Plinkey posted:

lovely pic, but just finished some 72 hour short ribs, didn't even need a knife. Very good for $4 a pound.

I stress about leaving my setup unattended, so 72h is out... but to satisfy my curiosity anyway: which temp did you use ?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spatule posted:

I stress about leaving my setup unattended, so 72h is out... but to satisfy my curiosity anyway: which temp did you use ?

135 with a few degrees. Pretty much followed this guy:

https://www.cuisinetechnology.com/blog/recipe-sous-vide/sous-vide-beef-short-ribs/

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It's weird that he sears them before vizzling, then again afterwards. Does that get you anything over just after?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anecdotally I have seen some people claim before and after searing is a good thing. I feel like trying it with short ribs soon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BraveUlysses posted:

Anecdotally I have seen some people claim before and after searing is a good thing. I feel like trying it with short ribs soon.
It'll depend on the temp. Cooked at 140 for 48 hours I've found them a little too tender to sear unless you're using enough oil to basically fry them (not a bad thing, just not a traditional pan sear).

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm thinking we should hold a meeting where everyone brings their puddle machine and we all sizzle some ribs at different temperatures and durations, so they all finish together, then we compare.
I loved the 68C - 18h ones I just did because it was just the right balance -to me- of soft but not too soft texture with rendered fat (no knife required) and "short" cooking time, but maybe I' missing out by not doing 24h at 63.5 or whatever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Spatule posted:

I'm thinking we should hold a meeting where everyone brings their puddle machine and we all sizzle some ribs at different temperatures and durations, so they all finish together, then we compare.
I loved the 68C - 18h ones I just did because it was just the right balance -to me- of soft but not too soft texture with rendered fat (no knife required) and "short" cooking time, but maybe I' missing out by not doing 24h at 63.5 or whatever.

You can do this yourself by cook-chilling them, just do them in batches for each temperature. So for 135F bag a bunch into separate bags and pull them at 12, 24, 36, 48 and 72h, chilling each in an ice bath, then repeat for 131F and 140F and whatever other temperatures you want, then reheat them all in a 120F bath to get them all to the same temp for testing.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I just made the tastiest easiest chicken breasts ever. It was so stupid simple:

-Take chicken breasts and thoroughly coat them in Tony's creole seasoning.
-Vac bag and put in water bath at 141 degrees for 3 hours.
-Take out, and sear in pan with olive oil on high heat about 45 seconds each side.

It was the moistest most tastiest chicken ever. I realize I am just enjoying the tip of the iceberg that is sous vide but holy crap was that chicken drat good and so effortless to make.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Made 52 hour brisket the other day. Seared the fat cap, seasoned with smoked sea salt and pepper, and put it in the bath. Juice was reduced with red wine and garlic. That Anova is my new favorite gadget. Mrs Creature went and bought 4 pounds of carrots after I made glazed carrots with butter and tarragon.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Made 38-hour short ribs. Turned out pretty fantastic.

For sauce, I strained the juice, sauteed some shallots and garlic, put some rice wine, soy sauce, a little pear juice, and a little brown sugar to make a galbi-jjim sauce.

Made the creamy mashed potatoes from Modernist Cuisine, topped it off with deep-fried shallots, and put some arugula on the side for some contrast.

It was fantastic.

Today, I'm eating Korean short rib tacos with Kimchi relish on the side.

I love puddlin.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Featured Creature posted:

Made 52 hour brisket the other day. Seared the fat cap, seasoned with smoked sea salt and pepper, and put it in the bath. Juice was reduced with red wine and garlic. That Anova is my new favorite gadget. Mrs Creature went and bought 4 pounds of carrots after I made glazed carrots with butter and tarragon.

So you pre-seared the brisket? Do you have any after pictures to show? I am very interested in doing a brisket soon...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sous vide butter mystery solved

Looks like butter's back on the menu, boys!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 26, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Out of curiosity - what's the point of putting butter in the bag? Seems like it would make the sear awkward.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Random Hero posted:

So you pre-seared the brisket? Do you have any after pictures to show? I am very interested in doing a brisket soon...

No pics but yes I seared the fat cap. It was glorious

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

Out of curiosity - what's the point of putting butter in the bag? Seems like it would make the sear awkward.

Mainly for seafood, but people sear plenty of steaks in butter, no?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 26, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

You sear in oil and finish in butter, butter has to much water in it to sear properly

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

No... clarified maybe, but you're going to towel the meat so it won't be used to sear

(I was asking 'cause you were talking about 3 hour cooks that don't apply to seafood)

You're right that plopping a pat of butter in with the meat is one of those things people do with SV, but it makes sense more often than not for red meat to avoid it unless you're going for something so tender that it's unsearable

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 26, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Random Hero posted:

I have a 48 hour brisket going (167 degrees... I tried 133 and 140 and didn't really like it) that I pre-seared that will be done tomorrow. I can take pics if you want.

In a related note, I put ghee in the bags with the brisket; never had trouble with fats in long cooks, and brisket isn't very fatty. However, I did notice this morning that the fat seems to float to a top corner of the bag once some of the meat juices fill the bag, so who knows if it does any good.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I made last page's scrambled eggs for breakfast, only, I was running late, so I grabbed the baggie and took it to work. When I got there, I made this:

Hot drat it was tasty. Maybe next time I'll use pepper too (didn't have any at the office).

It's a shame my SO is weird about eggs.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Safety Dance posted:

It's a shame my SO is weird about eggs.

Sever

But seriously, I thought that getting my Anova would be all about meats (and fishes), but eggs are right up there. I think this weekend is going to be puddled steak and eggs breakfasts back to back.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Are you kidding me? When I make hard boiled eggs, guess who gets all the hard boiled eggs!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

No... clarified maybe, but you're going to towel the meat so it won't be used to sear

(I was asking 'cause you were talking about 3 hour cooks that don't apply to seafood)

You're right that plopping a pat of butter in with the meat is one of those things people do with SV, but it makes sense more often than not for red meat to avoid it unless you're going for something so tender that it's unsearable

Back about 20 pages or so someone asked if it was okay to sous vide in butter because they'd read on Polyscience's website that it was dangerous if cooking more than 4 hours. I emailed them to ask about it, but come to think of it I don't know if anyone was planning to cook for four hours with butter in the first place, I think they were just asking out of curiosity

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
My replacement Sansaire should arrive today, and they've just emailed me that handling international returns is too tricky at this time, and that I should just keep the faulty one.

So I guess I need to try and figure out to fix the noise on the pump, because for a free second unit, I can deal with a faulty display - it's possible to read it, just not instantly.

I can see the possibilities already ...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

-Take chicken breasts and thoroughly coat them in Tony's creole seasoning.
-Vac bag and put in water bath at 141 degrees for 3 hours.
-Take out, and sear in pan with olive oil on high heat about 45 seconds each side.
Not a big loving deal, but you're probably better off either with a neutral oil (like canola) or using chicken or duck fat. The cool volatile compounds that give olive oil its unique flavour break down at fairly low temperatures, and you'll end up with either a bland oil (in which case you're better off using a cheaper neutral oil to start out with) or, worse, a bitter mess (this is something that's more likely to happen with a high quality extra virgin olive oil, but can happen even with refined olive oils, if they're real olive oil and not a flavoured generic vegetable oil).

I generally prefer using an animal fat, just because a comparatively mild poultry like chicken can use it, but I dunno if you're eating chicken breasts because of some diet thing or what.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

Not a big loving deal, but you're probably better off either with a neutral oil (like canola) or using chicken or duck fat. The cool volatile compounds that give olive oil its unique flavour break down at fairly low temperatures, and you'll end up with either a bland oil (in which case you're better off using a cheaper neutral oil to start out with) or, worse, a bitter mess (this is something that's more likely to happen with a high quality extra virgin olive oil, but can happen even with refined olive oils, if they're real olive oil and not a flavoured generic vegetable oil).

I generally prefer using an animal fat, just because a comparatively mild poultry like chicken can use it, but I dunno if you're eating chicken breasts because of some diet thing or what.
I think one of the total oddities of food as long as I can remember is that I can walk into a grocery store and find fifty varieties of vegetable, milk, and fakey fats and zero animal fats. So bizarre. When did it not become immediately obvious to cook beef in beef fat and chicken in chicken fat?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

I think one of the total oddities of food as long as I can remember is that I can walk into a grocery store and find fifty varieties of vegetable, milk, and fakey fats and zero animal fats. So bizarre. When did it not become immediately obvious to cook beef in beef fat and chicken in chicken fat?

Mexican groceries! Mine has enough massive bricks of lard and tallow that you could make a small fort

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

Mexican groceries! Mine has enough massive bricks of lard and tallow that you could make a small fort

Scandinavia desperately needs a massive immigration of mexicans, koreans and chinese. So much good stuff that's just not available.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

bought a new spatula.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Yeah I'm not even sure where to buy animal fat to cook with, I've never seen it...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've seen duck fat in fancy grocery stores, look in the refrigerated areas near butter and cheese. You can make bacon fat pretty easily by cooking a pack.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

My grocery store has lard at the meat counter - try asking one of the butchers if they have any?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm cooking for my friends next weekend. The idea is to debone/butterfly a leg of lamb, wrap it up with garlic and spices, drop it in a 60C/140F puddle Friday morning before work and serve dinner in the evening (with ratatouille and potato/celeriac mash).

Does anyone have experience with roast style lamb? I might try to make it into a square shape instead of a round one to make it easier to sear afterwards. There can be a bit of connective tissue in the leg, but 10-12 hours should sort it out right? Or do I need 24 hours? Higher temp?

And should I sautée the garlic first? I seem to recall reading that raw garlic at sous vide temps just overpowers everything.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Ola posted:

And should I sautée the garlic first? I seem to recall reading that raw garlic at sous vide temps just overpowers everything.
Yeah the garlic stays basically raw at meat-cooking temps, which also leads to concerns about botulism for longer cooks. So pre-cook, or use garlic powder.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ola posted:

I'm cooking for my friends next weekend. The idea is to debone/butterfly a leg of lamb, wrap it up with garlic and spices, drop it in a 60C/140F puddle Friday morning before work and serve dinner in the evening (with ratatouille and potato/celeriac mash).

Does anyone have experience with roast style lamb? I might try to make it into a square shape instead of a round one to make it easier to sear afterwards. There can be a bit of connective tissue in the leg, but 10-12 hours should sort it out right? Or do I need 24 hours? Higher temp?

Honestly just rubbing with oil, seasoning, and cooking low in the oven at 215 (or lower, preferably convection) or so for 2-4 hours (pulling at 140, then searing in-oven or in-pan) will probably give you an equal or better outcome. I don't know if it's technically FDA approved but I've done it a lot... And you can just buy it boneless, I only prefer getting bone-in if I'm doing lamb at higher temps (in which case, you would want to hold it - you'll get lamb that can be shredded). This is my go-to low-effort food. In this case, you can use raw garlic - poke holes in the meat and tuck them in.

You'll want to confit your garlic and smear it on as a paste if you want to puddle it.

Leg of lamb is tender enough that you don't have to hold it for an extended duration - just getting it up to temp will be good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 27, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I will definitely mind the garlic, thanks. As for doing it in the oven, well that does work fine, it's a traditional spring/easter meal here and it's delicious. But it's the boring normal way, so in addition to the dinner being only a few hours after work I thought I'd give it a try. I'll see if I can get some leg cuts from the butcher so I can do a mini roast on my own. Never hurts to prototype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

lousy hat posted:

Yeah the garlic stays basically raw at meat-cooking temps, which also leads to concerns about botulism for longer cooks. So pre-cook, or use garlic powder.

Whether the garlic stays "raw" or not is irrelevant. Bacteria die (or growth is inhibited) based on the temperature (and time at temperature). Clostridium Botulinum doesn't grow under 50 degrees F. or over 122 degrees F. Other bacteria have similar ranges, plus or minus a few degrees. So long as you're through the danger zone and into the 132+ degree range in a reasonable time, there should be nothing to worry about. (Bacillus Cereus survives to 131 and is the most common culprit in "food poisoning.") The FDA is a little conservative and recommends 135.

I am not an expert, do your own research before performing any actions that may be construed as "eating." Illness and death by "eating" are solely the reader's responsibility.