Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Verdafolio posted:

i've heard that smoking weed can trigger latent schizophrenia and now i've read it in person

i'm pretty sure this is what happened to forums poster Fedex cause he was a super cool roommate and then went crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyways if u got the lcd working then the parallel-to-serial will be cake. i forget if those chips have built in pull-up resistors for the inputs or not. if not, you'll need to add those yourself. here is a helpful schematic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my crippling autism precludes me from relying exclusively on internal pullups

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my goon project is to electrify this wooden baseball pinball game i got for xmas a few years ago, it has 12 holes for switches so that's why i need a 4x4 input matrix

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
if the internal pull-ups are good enough for I2C then they're good enough for me.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

been messing around with high bit adcs for some work and personal projects. been using arduinos for some basic stuff (with an ads1115) but have for awhile been wanting something that I could program and use for more controls (analog out is really nice). wanted to work on using SPI to talk to a 24 bit adc (i know this is easily done on arduino but i wanted a more complete package)

picked up one of these a few days ago and it is awesome http://www.cypress.com/psoc5lp/?source=CY-ENG-HEADER - you can find them for $75-100 depending

im not a programmer by any means but its still been pretty easy to use. did a tutorial to make an led blink and had it communicating over usb with custom drivers to labview a few hours later. it uses a schematic ui that lets you throw down/connect op amps, adcs, pgas, muxs, DIOs, etc then switch over to the programming side to set up how it actually works while assigning all the stuff to custom pins

also has a nice 20 bit delta sigma adc, can do a poo poo load of DIO and analog out as well with a bunch of premade package stuff for spi, i2c, usb, etc

def recommend for people looking for more control/stuff to play with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo the crap i could do with something like that

wow

that sounds really fun to play with

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
hey sagebrush saw this and thought of you

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
so when are we going to be able to do that with the colour of the car itself?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

AlsoD posted:

so when are we going to be able to do that with the colour of the car itself?

as soon as you tile a car with a zillion tiny LEDs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

coffeetable posted:

:swoon:

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

the boyz will love that one at the weekly taco bell parking lot meetup

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hook it up to a bluetooth mood ring

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so what's the verdict on this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1597902824/agic-print-printing-circuit-boards-with-home-print

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

$600 and it's basically a prototype? nahhh...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that is incredibly stupid. you can buy a $49 brother laser printer and some $0.50 transparency sheets and a $5 clothes iron and do the same loving thing already

e: also the laser will do hundreds of sheets at the very least and you aren't printing SILVER on possibly bad designs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tbh i didn't read it at all, just looked at the pretty pictures. lol @ this:

SUPPORTER CARD: Thank you for your support! You will get one sheet (12pcs) of usb-powered supporter cards. You can plug a card into USB and turn a LED on.

"you can plug it into usb and turn a LED on" basically sums up the maker movement

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

almost as funny as that price tag :pwn:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Werthog 95 posted:

"you can plug it into usb and turn a LED on" basically sums up the maker movement

yeah :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coffeetable posted:

that's illegal

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

that's illegal

not if you only do it when the car's parked and the engine's off, right? :downs:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

coffeetable posted:

i want headlights with a setting for black

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Glorgnole posted:

dark emitting diode

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just plug the bulb in backwards

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I want to make a box that says "Press button" and when you do it plays an ear-splittingly-loud dubstep drop.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Glorgnole posted:

i'm no physics buff, but could it be possible one day to fire a beam of highly charged particles that can knock photons out of the way and make a beam of dark?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

no

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Stealth Like posted:

been messing around with high bit adcs for some work and personal projects. been using arduinos for some basic stuff (with an ads1115) but have for awhile been wanting something that I could program and use for more controls (analog out is really nice). wanted to work on using SPI to talk to a 24 bit adc (i know this is easily done on arduino but i wanted a more complete package)

picked up one of these a few days ago and it is awesome http://www.cypress.com/psoc5lp/?source=CY-ENG-HEADER - you can find them for $75-100 depending

im not a programmer by any means but its still been pretty easy to use. did a tutorial to make an led blink and had it communicating over usb with custom drivers to labview a few hours later. it uses a schematic ui that lets you throw down/connect op amps, adcs, pgas, muxs, DIOs, etc then switch over to the programming side to set up how it actually works while assigning all the stuff to custom pins

also has a nice 20 bit delta sigma adc, can do a poo poo load of DIO and analog out as well with a bunch of premade package stuff for spi, i2c, usb, etc

def recommend for people looking for more control/stuff to play with

dangg

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
welp i was planning to make a MFOS Noise Toaster and i've been placing all kinds of orders on aliexpress.com to get the bits that i need

but i find myself becoming dissatisfied with it, even though i've not built it yet. however due to the way aliexpress works, i'm going to end up with 10-20 of everything that i need. so i'm just going to make something else. something... bigger. i'm trying to scratch my modular synth itch without actually going down that particular rabbit hole, but i'm probably just accelerating my inevitable demise.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

coffeetable posted:

gonna be hard to drive this car

with such a raging erection

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

focal ischemia posted:

i'm no physics buff, but could it be possible one day to fire a beam of highly charged particles that can knock photons out of the way and make a beam of dark?

Deviant posted:

seek. medical. help.

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent

focal ischemia posted:

like a supersoaker filled with black paint

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i thought his name was spelled "jonze"

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

focal ischemia posted:

i was showing my cousin some of my lasers when he was about 10 and he said that his friend had a dark laser that would make a black dot on surfaces that you could move around

i told him it doesn't work that way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

hmm, yes, let me develop my ios game on windows.

NOT
-borat

you still need a mac to develop for ios. lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i was showing my cousin some of my lasers when he was about 10 and he said that his friend had a dark laser that would make a black dot on surfaces that you could move around

i told him it doesn't work that way

when i was about 12 I got a little 5mw laser pointer for my birthday (it was like the most amazing thing ever, they were still rare at the time and cost about $40, i saw it in the edmund scientific catalog which i would read for fun just to give you an idea of what kind of person young sagebrush was). i loved that thing. i took it to school and showed off to my friends and they were all A REAL LASER WHOA. then after school while we were playing with it, one of the kids who was kind of a hypochondriac got it shone on his face for a second. he freaked out and started hyperventilating and ran home and like an hour later his mom phoned my mom and got all up in her business about how DANGEROUS it was to let a CHILD have a LASER and HE MIGHT HAVE HURT MY BOY'S VISION FOR LIFE WE'LL NEVER KNOW!! and then i had a big sit down talking to all night and they said i could never take it to school again.

dumb kid. he also broke my radio controlled car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also regarding radio controlled stuff, c idiot spare time project s: fixed my transmitter which i foolishly exploded by plugging the battery in backwards. two 7805s and one capacitor later it seems to be working again :woop:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

also regarding radio controlled stuff, c idiot spare time project s: fixed my transmitter which i foolishly exploded by plugging the battery in backwards. two 7805s and one capacitor later it seems to be working again :woop:

i hooked up my ham radio backwards via an unfused line to a gel cell once

who would think that a device that could emit so much smoke and fire could be repaired via cutting out the now-welded-together reverse polarity diode

(still got it, still works)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

always install reverse polarity diodes