Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I went to a Full Service gas station last year unknowingly, and when some guy ran up to my car and asked what he could do for me, I just kind of stared at him for 30 seconds in stunned silence.

Then I was like "nah, I'm good" and he got pissed off and went back inside.

I had no idea Full Service was still a thing post-1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BrainToad posted:

It's so dumb. I just want to give this piece of poo poo back so they don't try to hold me liable for it and I can be truly out of retail.

Send her an email. Make it plain you are quite willing to return the equipment at a time and place she suggests that is mutually convenient, or possibly they could send you a box with some packing material and a return label on it. If you're paranoid about getting sued or something, also send it a copy certified mail on the same day you send the email.

Then do whatever you want with the tablet and stick the promo materials in a closet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EugeneJ posted:

I went to a Full Service gas station last year unknowingly, and when some guy ran up to my car and asked what he could do for me, I just kind of stared at him for 30 seconds in stunned silence.

Then I was like "nah, I'm good" and he got pissed off and went back inside.

I had no idea Full Service was still a thing post-1990.

It's quite the thing in New Jersey, where all gas stations are Full Service by law, and you may not pump your own gas.

It's always a little strange when I go to another state, and it takes me a few second to remember that I need to get out and pump the gas.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volmarias posted:

It's quite the thing in New Jersey, where all gas stations are Full Service by law, and you may not pump your own gas.

What is the point of this law exactly

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

EugeneJ posted:

The town I grew up in in Massachusetts also had this law; I grew up in a bubble where no one pumped their own gas and when it was finally my turn to do so I was pretty much clueless. As to why? It was sold as a safety and insurance issue, mainly that the stations didn't want to pay out if a citizen got run over on their property.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rudager posted:

I couldn't disagree more, I use it everywhere because I'm the ultimate lazy person who would rather just tap a card then spend 10 seconds punching in a pin number.

maybe its just the pinpads at my work. It takes so long for customers to find the exact height and position at which the machine will deign to read their card that I end up just asking them to insert their card in the traditional manner to save time.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

EugeneJ posted:

It's so the Government can say they are job creators.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

EugeneJ posted:

I bet it's hysteria over cell phones causing fires at gas pumps.

Either that, or slightly more justified hysteria over static electricity causing fires.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Send her an email. Make it plain you are quite willing to return the equipment at a time and place she suggests that is mutually convenient, or possibly they could send you a box with some packing material and a return label on it. If you're paranoid about getting sued or something, also send it a copy certified mail on the same day you send the email.

Then do whatever you want with the tablet and stick the promo materials in a closet.

Last email I sent her was basically "seems were having trouble coming to a good meeting time, give me an address and I'll just ship it back." Not even gonna mention the promo stuff to her again unless she physically wants to meet up. A shame, they spent all this money on a popup podium and it is just gonna get recycled.

The company pretty much treated me like poo poo as soon as I said "I want to get into teaching, so I want to cut back hours" and instead they just took my hours, didn't take me up on my offer to train the new employee so I just said gently caress it and left after giving 2 weeks. I barely had any hours to begin with.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pakled posted:

Either that, or slightly more justified hysteria over static electricity causing fires.

This law predates cellphone use.

Meow Cadet posted:

It's so the Government can say they are job creators.

Yeah, basically this.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pakled posted:

Unintentional Fires
Granny getting run over
Gas fumes are known to the State of California to cause cancer
And a slew of social-political issues I won't get into
This has been in place before "cell phone fires", at least in NJ to my knowledge.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

I dunno where you guys are, but here in Newcastle and surrounds it's never failed for me and it's at all the major stations, half the time I don't even get my card out of my wallet, I have it in my wallet as close to the outside as I can and I just use the tap "paywave" thing.
Whaaaat, I'm in Newcastle and they've never worked for me

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
loving hell. I had to cancel an interview because I couldn't get the time off my work. And this morning my car decided not to start. So technically if it's something simple, like a new battery needed (even though I got a new one back in December and a new alternator in September), I could have gone to the interview anyway, since I had to use a sick day today. The major issue, it being working for the state, was the 'if you pass this WPM typing test, come in the next day for another interview.' Always during working hours. Do HR depts just not give a gently caress if you have a job currently and think everyone is at home from 8am till 5pm?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Cowslips Warren posted:

loving hell. I had to cancel an interview because I couldn't get the time off my work. And this morning my car decided not to start. So technically if it's something simple, like a new battery needed (even though I got a new one back in December and a new alternator in September), I could have gone to the interview anyway, since I had to use a sick day today. The major issue, it being working for the state, was the 'if you pass this WPM typing test, come in the next day for another interview.' Always during working hours. Do HR depts just not give a gently caress if you have a job currently and think everyone is at home from 8am till 5pm?

From personal experience when it comes to state jobs its entirely dependent on the agency doing the hiring. All of the jobs I've been called for they had specific days permitted to fit everyone in for their test by the person in charge of that location. State jobs are pretty hard to get though compared to private jobs.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Always during working hours. Do HR depts just not give a gently caress if you have a job currently and think everyone is at home from 8am till 5pm?

Azuth0667 posted:

From personal experience when it comes to state jobs its entirely dependent on the agency doing the hiring. All of the jobs I've been called for they had specific days permitted to fit everyone in for their test by the person in charge of that location. State jobs are pretty hard to get though compared to private jobs.

Also, state and fed jobs are often inundated with candidates and use "can you meet our demands" as a way to weed out candidates. If you have a 100:1 applicant to position rate, you have to do something to cut down the pool or you'll never get through it all. Been there, been rejected for that. (Couldn't make a next-day, short notice interview 1,200 miles away from my home address. Insta-rejected when I asked for a reschedule.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Also, state and fed jobs are often inundated with candidates and use "can you meet our demands" as a way to weed out candidates. If you have a 100:1 applicant to position rate, you have to do something to cut down the pool or you'll never get through it all. Been there, been rejected for that. (Couldn't make a next-day, short notice interview 1,200 miles away from my home address. Insta-rejected when I asked for a reschedule.)

Mine wasn't far, but the main issue, other than the whole 'you need to be here by 12:45 and if you pass, be prepared to come back at the same time during any number of days the next month,' but the fact the HR lady never replied when I confirmed, or cancelled the interview test. So maybe they weren't expecting me anyway.

How good is a state job compared to a retail one? I know there's bullshit everywhere.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

How good is a state job compared to a retail one? I know there's bullshit everywhere.

State jobs are typically unionized so even though there's bullshit, once you're in, you'll never have to put in an honest day's work for the rest of your natural life.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 25, 2014

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got it. Since you work HR, quick q: if I can't make it to an interview because that would leave my current job understaffed, does that imply I'm not so serious looking for a new job, or that I want a new job, but don't want to gently caress over where I am? Or do you read anything beyond "can't come in?"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Got it. Since you work HR, quick q: if I can't make it to an interview because that would leave my current job understaffed, does that imply I'm not so serious looking for a new job, or that I want a new job, but don't want to gently caress over where I am? Or do you read anything beyond "can't come in?"

I'm pretty okay with just unilaterally deciding to not work at a place that won't take my current position/commitments into account, and I would probably just stop responding to a company that was unreasonable about interview time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

People will actively lie to you to prevent you from learning. The people that move up are the people that figure out how to train themselves, how to work the telexon, work the machinery, finesse the system. This is how you get the one person in a store qualified to train for powered lifting equipment that refuses to certify anyone else. Knowledge is advancement and security.

They push the SOPs and routines, and it seems childish or incomplete, but I understand completely why they do it. Corporate wants knowledge to disperse and they try to do it in their own misguided way. The employees often dig in their heels and bog things down in ridiculous local politics.

You'd be surprised what you can find on the wire, or what you can do from the old SMART system 80s looking green screen craziness. When I left, the big thing was feature management data. This required department managers to accurately mark and update their features so the bigwigs could watch sales and analyze item performance. Does your store do feature management?

Yeah, my store does feature management but guess what? My training on it was minimal but I think I have the basics covered.

You're right though. Every day I spend at in this position the more I realize that I can find out a lot more on my own that from any training from my ZMS or fellow associates.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today I was in a store to train the employees on my client's products. In a fit of sleep deprivation I didn't phase on how terribly worded one of the questions on my survey was and played it straight. It was "Ask the associates that you are comfortable with how they feel about the Washer" So I did.

Me: I am comfortable with how you feel about this washer?

Employee: :psyduck:

I'm sure they think I was high at the time. I called my boss to ask what the hell, and if "The employee stared at me with a raised eyebrow" was a valid answer. It isn't but hell if I don't put it on my call report.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
This seems like its indicative of a company that treats its employees terrible. For context, I've never been in HR and all of the non-retail companies I've worked at have despised their HR department. Unless the pay is significantly better than retail why would anyone want to deal with that garbage, they're already in retail and being treated like poo poo as it is?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
This makes no sense. You want to screen for applicants that are either lucky enough to have the day off that you arbitrarily picked as the interview date, or to sabotage their current employer for the mere chance of getting hired by you.

Do you tell them to go gently caress themselves when they give their current employer 2 weeks notice, as well? I just can't imagine you get loyal employees this way.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

All this HR chat reminds me of when I got a call for this position I've worked for almost three years now. I got the call to come for an interview, to call back, and when I did the loving HR had gone on vacation with no alternate number. WHILE THE INTERVIEWS WERE BEING SCHEDULED. Jesus it's a wonder I was able to get through at all.

So basically you want an employee who'll take a sick day off from your work to go to a job interview somewhere else, and gently caress off with no notice? Good to know.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Unless you've been headhunted, I'm with Rhonyn.

The main thing for me is that advertising, sorting through applications, interviewing people and all that bullshit takes a lot of time and money, so if you want to change things around and take up more of the companies HR time, of course they're going to be annoyed because you're costing them even more time and money than other applicants.

It's a bit of a rough explanation, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Chicken Doodle posted:

So basically you want an employee who'll take a sick day off from your work to go to a job interview somewhere else, and gently caress off with no notice? Good to know.

I don't know where you got "gently caress off with no notice" from but what is wrong with being expected to take sick/personal days to make interviews?

Also :lol: at the guy who was suggesting that somewhere between 9-5 was "unreasonable hours" for an interview.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zo posted:

I don't know where you got "gently caress off with no notice" from but what is wrong with being expected to take sick/personal days to make interviews?

Also :lol: at the guy who was suggesting that somewhere between 9-5 was "unreasonable hours" for an interview.

How many personal days do you get? What happens if you exceed this number? Are your days off paid or unpaid? If you take a sick day, will you still make rent? Do you need to schedule your sick days in advance?

How many jobs do you expect a candidate to interview at before getting hired? How many days off might that take? I'm a pretty smart guy and a good interviewer, and that number is larger than "1" for every time I've started job hunting.

The mismatch between these questions and the consequences therein is why people are rightly making GBS threads on this. You're implicitly biasing yourself against candidates who don't have the flexibility to just pick any arbitrary day for an interview.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.

Volmarias posted:

The mismatch between these questions and the consequences therein is why people are rightly making GBS threads on this. You're implicitly biasing yourself against candidates who don't have the flexibility to just pick any arbitrary day for an interview.

You do understand that businesses, by and large, care about none of the things you just listed, right? They're not sitting around going "Well, I guess we could hire some people if we get around to it." Most companies hire for immediate need, not just because. Consequently, they have a limited window to bring new people on before they lose money one way or another due to lack of staffing. In retail, this generally corresponds to increased shrink due to understaffing or overtime which can add employee burnout on top of the increased labor costs.

When someone in HR gets 15 applications for 1 position, they're simply not going to have the time or inclination to cater to every person's scheduling whims. If you can't make the interview they set, regardless of how valid the reason, you're probably going to get passed over. Does it suck for the people trying to find a new job? Yeah. Will it happen anyway? Absolutely. At best, if you explain your situation you might get someone sympathetic. Or not. That's life.

Again, does it suck for anyone who's legit needing a new job and doesn't want to just no-show at their current job on the chance they might interview well and get hired? Of course it does, but that doesn't make it any less understandable from HR's point of view.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Volmarias posted:

How many personal days do you get? What happens if you exceed this number? Are your days off paid or unpaid? If you take a sick day, will you still make rent? Do you need to schedule your sick days in advance?

Hi and welcome to trying to find a job while you have a job.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Volmarias posted:

Who cares????

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
This.

Since you're here, HR, do you conduct Skype interviews? Would you be willing to? I was hired on the strength of a Skype interview when I applied to a job in New York from Illinois. They'd never have paid for my transportation--it was a midlevel job in a business office, experience necessary but no degree required. And there's no way I could have afforded a 1200-mile round trip for one interview. Now I'm at almost 1 year with the company, received a 6.5% raise and a promotion so far... it was a really good fit in both directions. HR's refusal to interview me based on the distance between us would have meant they would have lost out on a good employee and I would have lost out on a great opportunity.

I'm really glad (and probably amazingly lucky) that my company's HR lady was willing to work with me long-distance. I'm wondering how common this is outside of the upper echelons, of which I am definitely not a part.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Volmarias posted:

How many jobs do you expect a candidate to interview at before getting hired? How many days off might that take? I'm a pretty smart guy and a good interviewer, and that number is larger than "1" for every time I've started job hunting.

Yes why can't the whole world cater to your every need :qq:

If you're that whiny and entitled in real life you're probably actually a terrible interviewer.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
With my current job, I only had to do a phone interview with HR. When they called me to set up the the in person interview, I said "Well, my current job has the days off of Sunday and Monday..." to which they replied "We do interviews on Sunday!" Which lead to me stuffing myself in a suit at 3PM on a Sunday to get my current job.

The HR rep should ask you about your current schedule. And when you're setting up the interview, you should TRY to find a time that doesn't interfere with your current job, or you can call in sick for with no consequence.

One thing that was nice about retail was that it WAS easy to do interviews elsewhere. Because it required nights and weekends, it was easy to say "I can do anytime on Wednesday, Thursday morning, or Monday after 3:30 or so."

Any possibility of finding someone to trade shifts with? You grab their Saturday, and they cover for you on your interview day? A lot of retail people will jump at that, and ask no questions.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why are HR people always so despicable? I don't think I've met a one that wasn't a nasty piece of work all around.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

litany of gulps posted:

Why are HR people always so despicable? I don't think I've met a one that wasn't a nasty piece of work all around.

Because they're professional mommies, and it takes a very special kind of person to want to be a professional mommy for a living.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

litany of gulps posted:

Their job is to gently caress over people and minimize expense to benefit the company.

See also: Why are all lawyers alcoholics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got an email that I have a new manager, this greatly worries me cause I had a good relationship with my last manager and she would always push extra things to me, basically what makes working an otherwise very unsteady job actually viable to live on. I don't know if he'll keep me on my usual route, if he'll decide I cover too wide an area and take me off a few stores.

Guess I should update my resume just in case :smith: