Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Astro Nut posted:

That and stock footage issues. Its been a while, so I might be wrong, but I think Gokaiger was one of the 'drat near every fight in tokyo' series.

The NZ crew has done a pretty good job of matching locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Xelkelvos posted:

the first Jason/Tommy match has started and it's Zeo Gold vs. the White Ranger.

MMPR Red beat Zeo Red back in the first round.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Solaris Knight posted:

It's a sad/delusional feeling knowing that the most powerful and dream inducing Ranger of them all is going to be played by some blonde yutz with the charisma of to quote SA user "jivjov" "A cardboard cutout of a wet paper bag"

So basically Troy v. 2.

Well that's unfair I guess, Troy has actually sort of shown emotions the past few episodes. Took him long enough though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dr Tran posted:

The NZ crew has done a pretty good job of matching locations.

I meant more for the mecha fights, sorry. Its basically been a historical issue that sometimes the creators have wanted to use nature fights as either alien worlds or other time periods, only to be screwed over because Tokyo.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
At least Troy's just the red ranger in this state. Orion's supposed to be the guy who changes into the guys every kid wants to be. More than the Red Ranger, everyone wants to be the Sixth Ranger because he's the most powerful and uniquely equipped member, with a story arc all about his recruitment. He won't even be a PR otaku, probably :colbert:. I've dreamed of being something close to Gokai Silver for most of my life, so to see that role given to such a disapointingly average season makes me despair :smith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Holy poo poo, not a single Tommy is going to make it past this round.

They're all losing by ~10% each.

Didn't see that one coming at all. Especially loving Trent beating Green MMPR. That one's way out of left field.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Did my duty for the Tommy Nation. :911:

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Sockser posted:

Holy poo poo, not a single Tommy is going to make it past this round.

They're all losing by ~10% each.

Didn't see that one coming at all. Especially loving Trent beating Green MMPR. That one's way out of left field.

I swear to god I saw a screencap like 24 hours ago where Trent was only getting 28% of the vote :psyduck:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I'm kind of glad the Tommy bandwagon is waning somewhat, just because it's boring if Tommy and the other MMPR rangers win by default.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I'm honestly surprised the Mystic Force White Ranger is still kicking around.

Phantom Ranger and Titanium Ranger are doing better than I thought they were last time I saw their ratings.

Time Force Pink is doing alright as well, so that makes me happy since it looks like only her and Mystic White/MMPR Yellow remain as female representation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm honestly surprised the Mystic Force White Ranger is still kicking around.

Phantom Ranger and Titanium Ranger are doing better than I thought they were last time I saw their ratings.

Time Force Pink is doing alright as well, so that makes me happy since it looks like only her and Mystic White/MMPR Yellow remain as female representation.

I think the brackets were organized like that on purpose to mostly ensure there'd be one female in the final five

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
In what universe do people pick the most boring "evil" ranger ever over goddamn MMPR green. :psyduck:

And I strongly suspect vote-rigging for Super Megaforce red. Can't have their lead man lose a popularity contest in the middle of the show after all.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 26, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the brackets were organized like that on purpose to mostly ensure there'd be one female in the final five

Which is good, there's no reason it should be all dudes.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SpazmasterX posted:

In what universe do people pick the most boring "evil" ranger ever over goddamn MMPR green. :psyduck:

Trent's "evil" dilemma was more interesting than Tommy's "oh no a witch made me evil."
The excuses for working around Sentai footage for Trent were better than "oops, I forgot my communicator at the gym" or "I was literally tied up after losing a fight against the foot soldiers."
The Drago Sword is cooler than the Dragon Dagger
The relationship between Trent and Kira was, like everything in Dino Thunder compared to MMPR, better written than Tommy and Kimberly
The actor was hotter than MMPR era JDF

Suits are an even point because both Dragon Ranger and Abarekiller are boss designs.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Box of Bunnies posted:

"oops, I forgot my communicator at the gym" or "I was literally tied up after losing a fight against the foot soldiers."

As a kid, stuff like this always made me think: "What the gently caress, Zordon? THIS is the guy you're making the leader? The guy who can't remember his communicator from a hole in the ground?"

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

My favorite was when his teacher, Ms. Applebee, confiscated it thinking it was his beeper. So 90's.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

My favorite was when his teacher, Ms. Applebee, confiscated it thinking it was his beeper. So 90's.

That was because he smacked it against a wall I believe.

Great tech, Billy!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

toomanyninjas posted:

As a kid, stuff like this always made me think: "What the gently caress, Zordon? THIS is the guy you're making the leader? The guy who can't remember his communicator from a hole in the ground?"

He was a lot more rational and sensible by the time he became the White Ranger. All that time sulking by the beach and getting zapped by his malfunctioning power coin will do that.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

These are really nice looking figures, does anyone know what they are so I can go buy them?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Sockser posted:

These are really nice looking figures, does anyone know what they are so I can go buy them?

Those are the S.H. Figuart line

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

mateo360 posted:

Those are the S.H. Figuart line

They're all on Amazon for about $40

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Power Rangers Salt Force

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Box of Bunnies posted:

Power Rangers Salt Force

He's not wrong.

Pretty sure Jason couldn't split into three and Trey couldn't use his powers when it happened so :shrug:

Regardless, I'd bet JDF doesn't truly care if he loses. The legacy stuff is all about the green ranger now. He's just driving his fanbase to the product he's a part of.

Box of Bunnies posted:

The Drago Sword is cooler than the Dragon Dagger

i will fight you bro

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I kinda hope all the Tommy rangers lose this round and that whatever this group is decides to make the five rangers that beat the tommy ones into some sort of special team or something. :allears:

EDIT: Checking the morphing madness thing, looks like something around 40K extra votes are going on the Tommy-related polls, so it's 90k-100k on those while the rest are 50k-56k.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 27, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, the Tommy ones are pretty blatantly being fixed just by the massive vote disparities.

However, Tommy-haters be warned...

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Don't get me wrong, Tommy's a awesome character, and a legend for good reason.

That said, having him win every contest is boring, and doesn't make things interesting, he's practically the All American Face as is

Vote for other rangers, guys.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why are people rigging a popularity contest? Who cares if Tommy wins or not? I'm not even a fan, but it just seems like a lot of effort with no actual pay off.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Let me tell you about the internet. Like gamefaqs character battles.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The Internet is nostalgia and effort justification writ large, and as a result, people are extremely stubborn about things because they like those things, and how dare people not like them too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Why are people rigging a popularity contest? Who cares if Tommy wins or not? I'm not even a fan, but it just seems like a lot of effort with no actual pay off.

The payoff is happening right now. JDF getting in a huff about it is a form of payoff.

And fwiw, Andross should win anyways.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

The Internet is nostalgia and effort justification writ large, and as a result, people are extremely stubborn about things because they like those things, and how dare people not like them too.

This seems to be more the opposite. They don't like that thing, and how dare those people like that thing they don't like. The thing in this instance obviously being JDF.

I will admit that Andross is a pretty cool dude and I wouldn't mind him winning. But DT White was always kinda bland/eh to me and I can't for the life of me remember what/who Zeo Black/Gold are.

But if there's one thing nerds on the internet are good at, it's ability to band together in record numbers to achieve ultimately pointless goals.

Also, hell yeah Time Pink and MMPR Yellow. I'm amazed Trini's made it this far. Is the lack of skirt making all the kiddies mistake her for a guy? Some of the profiles don't even name the rangers.

Edit: In retrospect, I suppose MMPR yellow could be that other girl whose name escapes me, but the point remains.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 27, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Zeo Gold was Jason. Also an alien named Trey but mostly Jason.

Also the final rounds are going to be tough for some of these, and really easy for the rest.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Andros was a cool dude, I guess, but "saved the universe"? That's a pretty interesting way to describe murdering Zordon.

And yeah, the MMPR Yellow entry doesn't say who it is. The description sounds like Trini, but the Zords category is mostly Aisha.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Zordon was basically going to die anyway, given how his power was drained. The Z Wave saved the universe from the Alliance, and Zordon knew full well the effects.

So yeah, he did save the universe :colbert:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Solaris Knight posted:

Zordon was basically going to die anyway, given how his power was drained. The Z Wave saved the universe from the Alliance, and Zordon knew full well the effects.

So yeah, he did save the universe :colbert:

Yeah, but without Zordon, all we have left is...Gosei.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Gosei only sucks because he's a pale imitation of Zordon anyway. If he was more distinct, things would be better.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Solaris Knight posted:

Gosei only sucks because he's a pale imitation of Zordon anyway. If he was more distinct, things would be better.

...Actually yes, this is a point, even moreso because Saban ended up highlighting the comparison with the whole 'pupil of Zordon' thing. Even discounting all the continuity question his mere existence raises, we ultimately see nothing about the big easter island head as a character beyond that, or even much in relation to it. Admittedly, Zordon himself didn't actually get too built up until after the movie, where the idea of Zordon being this legendary champion of good known across the cosmos stuck even to regular continuity, rather than being a particular wizard who stuck it to Rita. But, unless I'm misremembering, Gosei seems to get even less than that, even into Super Megaforce which has thus far actually worked to characterise the cast.

Once the earlier phases of experimentation were worked out of Power Rangers' system, Zordon very much took on a mentor role towards the team, and an adviser for when things weren't working out. One of the Rangers acting weird? Ask Zordon, he might know whats up. Monster was too powerful? Consult Zordon, he'll either have a speech to cheer the gang up, or might look into ideas on how to turn the tide. Rita/Zedd/Whoever doing something but its hard to tell what? Check with Zordon, he's got that viewing globe, and he knows the bad guys' MO. The rangers relied on him for guidance, a fact that would be commented on and even turn into character development in early Turbo - when Tommy struggles with getting advice from Dimitria, because he's so used to being to do that with Zordon, rather than having to solve situations as much on his own.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The Pupil of Zordon thing was one line, and other than that, we don't know poo poo about him. Even in MMPR we knew Zordon was a wizard trapped in flux by Rita, and sent to Earth to monitor the powers that may come from there. Gosei's just kind of there, with no reason why, how, or what he exactly is. It really illustrates Neo Saban and old Saban quite well.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The biggest thing, probably, is simply the fact that Zordon was around for like 200 episodes or some other ridiculous number. Of course he'll have more organic character development than someone who is only going to get 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I can confidently say that at least 150 of those 200 episodes has Zordon expositing convenient information for the Rangers than any kind of character development. Honestly, he's not much of character. He's more of a plot device.