Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am starting to hate craigslist. The sellers are all scammers and the buyers are dumber then dog turds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toymachine posted:

Almost as annoying as the mythical Manuel transmission.

Being a lying deceptive shitheel is way more annoying than being bad at spelling. And coming from me, that's saying a lot.

Also a lot of salvage-title vehicles get listed with no mention at all of the salvage title. Probably a few sellers legitimately don't realize that it's an issue, but most of them do and are just hoping the buyer won't understand what it means.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What a fuckin deal! 3200 AND it has a wtf fender and non-running engine?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4389233751.html

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Wonder how long it took him to push it into that perfect, photogenic spot.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Tai-Pan posted:

What happened to the gorgeous "Titan" wheels? Are they just rolling on steelies now?
Meh, auto.

good luck finding a manual T-5R :)

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

good luck finding a manual T-5R :)

What? They exist.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

BraveUlysses posted:

What a fuckin deal! 3200 AND it has a wtf fender and non-running engine?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4389233751.html

Ah, yes, the German flag striped fender. I wonder why anyone would do something like that in paint when vinyl is so readily available these days?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Hansolio posted:

Ah, yes, the German flag striped fender. I wonder why anyone would do something like that in paint when vinyl is so readily available these days?

* Custom 3M 1080 vinyl wrapped front left finder (German flag colors)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hansolio posted:

If it's properly done, paint will look WAY better, and last longer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If anyone comes across a clean E30 2dr non-vert or a Protege5 somewhere west of Texas for <$4k let me know... I'm having issues finding anything and am now in a time crunch.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

I don't know how they get those, but that sellers lists all kinds of them. A few months ago he had a V10 viper setup.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

If anyone comes across a clean E30 2dr non-vert or a Protege5 somewhere west of Texas for <$4k let me know... I'm having issues finding anything and am now in a time crunch.

Spend a little more and buy my 240 :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd say try r3v, but suddenly they all think e30s are worth 6-8k despite the same car being 3k a few years ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I spent $8k for my 2003 Protege5 two years ago (with 50k miles). I remember when I was shopping I found another one for $5k that had 120k miles on it and also reeked of dog.

They're rare and/or desirable enough that in the bay area, $4k seems like it'd only buy one with quite a lot of miles on it or with some significant problem (or both).

poordna
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbot

I can't see anyone ever paying $800 for this heap.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

I'd say try r3v, but suddenly they all think e30s are worth 6-8k despite the same car being 3k a few years ago.

I think the reason for this is because of

BlackMK4 posted:

Clean decent E30s are getting harder to find, unfortunately.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coredump posted:

Spend a little more and buy my 240 :v:

Details? I've had two of them and wouldn't mind another. I'm half tempted to settle for this car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300624

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Details? I've had two of them and wouldn't mind another. I'm half tempted to settle for this car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300624

It this thing:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Coredump posted:

It this thing:

You magnificent bastard! I would sell eye teeth/a kidney to buy that off you but I just threw all my money into a 4wd SUV so I am not stuck in my driveway when my stupid Midwest town doesn't plow my street. I have been looking for a new 240sx ever since my vert was stolen. If you want any pics passed around to ppl on the east coast lmk.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

Because that's what people are paying for E30s now, the prices have gone way up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I paid 7k last summer for my 90 325iS with 200k on it :colbert: no regrets yolooooo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

From BringATrailer - not unique for what it is, but where it is:

We've got some Danes in here, right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

From BringATrailer - not unique for what it is, but where it is:

We've got some Danes in here, right?

Somebody called?

That's a nice 'burban, but between the gas prices around here (equivalent to ~$8/gallon right now) and the ~$24K price before tax/registration, that is one pricy ride.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

I paid 7k last summer for my 90 325iS with 200k on it :colbert: no regrets yolooooo

I cannot tell if you are kidding.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Tai-Pan posted:

E30 prices: Poe's Law for cars

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

My 1990 325iS with 135k was $4800 in 2008. My 1991 318i with 120k was $1800 in 2011. Both were rust free. Everyone wants to buy them from me. It's hard to find rust free E30s for less than $2000 that aren't basketcases or pieces of poo poo, unless you're in a place where rust doesn't exist, and even then basketcases and pieces of poo poo are abound.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

Yes, 100% serious. I bought it from my friend's dad who owned it for 7 years. It's in great shape, tastefully modified and fun to drive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Citycop posted:

Trip to the hospital: Make Offer

As a side note I would like to point out that the nearest "sand" to Temple,TX is in New Mexico, 7 hours away.

I'm pretty sure I should just search craigslist for "runs excellent" and post every result here.

That phrase says more about the seller than it does about the car. And it doesn't say anything nice.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes, 100% serious. I bought it from my friend's dad who owned it for 7 years. It's in great shape, tastefully modified and fun to drive.

I guess I just lack perspective. My friend had one in college and we beat it into the ground. It never struck me as interesting or fun enough to save.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coredump posted:

It this thing:

I suspect a kouki is out of my pricerange ;) Nice looking car though... I miss my S14.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

I guess I just lack perspective. My friend had one in college and we beat it into the ground. It never struck me as interesting or fun enough to save.

Fair enough. I don't think they are the greatest cars or anything but I've owned a few and just like them despite the shortcomings.

How much are you selling that car for coredump? Looks great

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4375640562.html

Beautiful wagon:

quote:

This car was originally a 530iT with a 3.0L V8 and automatic transmission. It came loaded from the factory as the top of the line (and most expensive) BMW Touring at $50,490 in it's last year of production (11/95 prod. date). Factory equipment includes full Parchment leather interior with power/heated front seats, dual front airbags, split/fold down rear seats with rear pet net that separates the cargo area from the passenger compartment, cargo mat and retractable cargo cover, dual zone climate control, 6 disc changer, 10 speaker stereo (now 12) with 8 channel amplifier, factory alarm with remote entry, double pano sunroof, power/heated mirrors, ellipsoid head lights, fog lights, heated door locks and washer nozzles, radio antenna integrated into the rear side glass, etc... everything works.

All work to create this vehicle has been performed by a BMW Master Technician at the largest BMW dealership in the region using BMW documentation, OEM parts, special tools, and equipment to factory standards to create a vehicle exactly as it would have been built by BMW if they had ever offered this car. No special fabrication was required to perform this conversion so all parts used are available off the shelf directly from any BMW dealership should any service be required in the future. Fault memory can be read out normally. All parts used are 100% compatible. No corners have been cut and attention has been paid to BMW heritage in the planning of this project in order to create something very special but also in keeping with BMW tradition.

Professionally refinished in Imola Red (e39 M5, e46 M3/ZHP, e53 4.6/4.8iS, Z3 M coupe/roadster, e85/86 M coupe/roadster), with staggered 18" M parallel wheels as fitted to the e34 M5 in later production. Winter tires are available in 245/40R18-F, 275/35R18-R Blizzak LM-60 and Summer tires available are Continental ExtremeContact DWS non-runflats in 225/40R18, 255/R35R18 and Potenza REO50A rft in the same size. The engine chosen was originally installed in an e38 740i and mated to an automatic transmission making it less likely to have been abused in it's previous life. It was disassembled for a complete inspection and reseal before being installed in it's new home, about 3k mi ago. It had covered a very easy 40k mi before the donor vehicle was totalled in a rear end collision. The engine was very clean inside with original cross-hatching visible on all 8 cylinder walls and absolutely no oil sludge present in any part of the block or heads. It's only down 29 hp on an e34 M5 but is up on torque by 68 lb-ft. In addition it has a 6 spd instead of a 5. The suspension is the only system where aftermarket components were used. Dampers are Bilstein Sport and springs are H&R. Every other part of the suspension is tight or new. Anything that was not perfect was replaced. There is still room for improvement and personalization with more great factory and aftermarket upgrades available. Before the extensive reconditioning this vehicle underwent the chassis had approx. 160K mi on it. It now has about 2k more but I am driving it some as I just can't resist. All reciepts are included showing over $5,000 in parts and a reciept for the paint totalling $9,700. Total labor involved is well over 60 hrs @ $130/hr. ($7800+) not including paint and body labor. This totals almost $24,000.

All parts used in the conversion of this vehicle from an automatic to a 6spd manual are brand new with the exception of the transmission itself which was a very low mileage unit from a 540i (same transmission found in an e39 M5). From the pedal pads to the pilot bearing all clutch components, hydraulic and mechanical, are new. The shifter is a B&M short throw and like the clutch system everything is new. The shift knob is exactly the same as used in the 1 series M coupe, current production M5/M6, and E46 3 series ZHP.

All engine and trans mounts, exhaust hangers, gaskets, spark plugs, filters, fluids, and hardware are brand new. The windshield is new Pilkington glass as used on new BMWs. All other glass is original and professionally tinted by the dealer. It isn't super dark but gives the car a more modern look, some practicality, and is very high quality. Even the winshield wipers are new and the washer pump itself has been replaced. The final touch is all new emblems and badges. I also added the 4.4i badges to the front fenders were they are found on the e53 X5 that carries the same engine. The mass air flow sensor and all 4 oxygen sensors are also brand new.

The only aftermarket components on this vehicle are the aforementioned dampers and springs, a very high quality custom fabricated cat back exhaust using a magnaflow muffler (stock cats are still in place and all factory mounting points are retained), Sony audio head unit, and 2-12" MB Quart (German) carbon fiber subwoofers w/ a MATTS Pro Audio amp making the audio system 12 speakers with all channels indepenently amplified by either the factory amp or the added sub amp. These subs and the amp are extremely high quality and were extremely expensive.

All original tools, jack, spare, etc... are still in place, I have all the original owner's manuals, service book, the leather case that all the manuals came in, all keys that came with the vehicle including walet and valet keys. The flashlight in the master key still works. Complete warranty repair history is available.

This is a very unique, reliable, versatile, and powerful vehicle. It is a great alternative to anything new if you love wagons, BMW performance and classic styling. The fuel economy is quite good especially considering the power that this car offers. I average 20-25+ miles per gallon. Obviously it's easy (and fun) to bring that down a lot but even with some pretty regular "spirited driving" I get around 25mpg. While this car does not offer prius fuel efficiency, it's far a better choice from an environmental standpoint. If one considers the massive resources used to build any new car I think it's easy to justify restoring and driving a car like this rather than letting it end up in a junkyard like the disposable vehicles built today inevitably will. I am selling this car because, as fun and unique as it is I really want to do something with a V12 : )

Update! I have added undercarriage shots (I was not able to clean the underside of the car but it should be clear that there is no rust and there are no leaks), and also took the car for a fresh emissions test yesterday. The car passed with flying colors. Emissions are the best indicator of the state of health of an engine.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Good god. That is essentially my perfect car.
I hate buying something like that sight unseen. But drat.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Good god. That is essentially my perfect car.
I hate buying something like that sight unseen. But drat.

If I only had the space for one car and price/maintenance weren't an issue this is pretty much what I would pick.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jesus Christ, I'm in love. If I had another garage spot, I'd be on the phone.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

rscott posted:

If I only had the space for one car and price/maintenance weren't an issue this is pretty much what I would pick.

Aside from the bmw nikasil issues, are their any other weak points in these components (aside from general 90's maintenance)? I don't know a lot about e38s.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tai-Pan posted:

Aside from the bmw nikasil issues, are their any other weak points in these components (aside from general 90's maintenance)? I don't know a lot about e38s.

The nickasil issue is long dead as if what ever engines are left are fine, or have been replaced, or are dead.

Thats an E34, an E38 is a 1996-01 7 series. The E38 is regarded as the last "best looking" 7 series, and most of the issues are well documented. An E34 is regarded as one of the best 5 series, only to be argued with the E39 as the best 5 series.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thats an E34, an E38 is a 1996-01 7 series. The E38 is regarded as the last "best looking" 7 series, and most of the issues are well documented.

The engine is out of an e38, that is what I was interested in.
I just don't know a ton about BMWs. I have more experience with MBs.
Beyond my friends ongoing, and costly, attempts to keep his e39 m5 on the road, I don't k now much about thier overall longevity.

If I could be reasonably sure this thing wasn't a nightmare (beyond obviously being a Frankenstein and all that goes with that) I would be legitimately interested.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4390721893.html

Cliffs: almost rust free AMC Eagle Wagon in NH (!) that just needs a few basic repairs (!!) and comes with a 93 XJ with a manual transmission (!!!) as parts for an EFI 4.0 mantrans drivetrain swap (!!!!) all for... $1200 (!!!!!)

I'm not kidding when I say I will assist in any way necessary on a custom wiring harness to do that swap for goons who purchase this vehicle. Goddamn I wish I could pick that thing up right the hell now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kastein posted:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4390721893.html

Cliffs: almost rust free AMC Eagle Wagon in NH (!) that just needs a few basic repairs (!!) and comes with a 93 XJ with a manual transmission (!!!) as parts for an EFI 4.0 mantrans drivetrain swap (!!!!) all for... $1200 (!!!!!)

I'm not kidding when I say I will assist in any way necessary on a custom wiring harness to do that swap for goons who purchase this vehicle. Goddamn I wish I could pick that thing up right the hell now.
I dont think that picture is of the car, though. I searched for it on google and found someone using it as their avatar on some forum.