Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Suzuki Method posted:

Yeah, I just had no idea about Nicole, I only caught the tail end of this episode and haven't seen any other episodes, haha.

You can get most of the seasons uncensored on DVD. Do yourself favor and grab one. This episode might have been nutty, but it's got nothing on past seasons.

Also, two weeks in a row with an ambulance stock shot in the promo. This is shaping up to be an amazing season. (Did anyone even cut a finger last week?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

(Did anyone even cut a finger last week?)
Some dude cut his finger during the tricycle challenge. I think it got like 5 seconds of airtime then it was forgotten after the commercial break.

Sir Lemming posted:

So far, this season legitimately feels like a documentary about retarded people.
I think a kitchen run by special needs people would be more competent than this group.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

Some dude cut his finger during the tricycle challenge. I think it got like 5 seconds of airtime then it was forgotten after the commercial break.

I think a kitchen run by special needs people would be more competent than this group.

There is a cafe in my town that a mental health care building runs right next to it, where many special needs people can get employment and fair pay and dignity. They make delicious food and the kitchen is a well-oiled machine. Very popular.

Yes, these contestants are worse.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

quote is not edit

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not sure if anyone noticed or not. But they used the SAME ambulance footage in the "Next time on hell's kitchen" segment the last 2 episodes. LOL

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm pretty sure that footage has been in use for years, they played it in the flashback thing about Jason leaving in whatever season he was in before, and I know it was the same footage used then.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure if anyone noticed or not. But they used the SAME ambulance footage in the "Next time on hell's kitchen" segment the last 2 episodes. LOL

We started watching season 6 on DVD tonight and its the same footage they used back in episode 2 of that season.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does the crew really gently caress around with the ovens and the burners causing all the undercooked/overcooked food?

I wouldn't be surprised. It would explain why there's always issues with things like scallops. After all, a solid dinner service with no hiccups would be just boring.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Arms_Akimbo posted:

We started watching season 6 on DVD tonight and its the same footage they used back in episode 2 of that season.

I'm pretty sure they re-use the same footage constantly.

I wonder just how few cars overall they've used for the start of service quick cuts.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Chand0X posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. It would explain why there's always issues with things like scallops. After all, a solid dinner service with no hiccups would be just boring.

True. Maybe they do poo poo like that to see who's paying attention in the kitchen (no one, apparently) and how they react (I'M A GOOD CHEF! IT'S SO-AND-SO's FAULT!).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does the crew really gently caress around with the ovens and the burners causing all the undercooked/overcooked food?

I doubt if the crew needs to gently caress with the equipment to get a handful of fuckups during a dinner service.

Honestly, these people are probably good chefs outside of Hells Kitchen. But you put them in an incredibly high stress situation, wake them up at every hour of the night, and have chef Ramsay yelling at them constantly, people are going to say gently caress it and make a mistake.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

Sir Lemming posted:

So far, this season legitimately feels like a documentary about retarded people.

They pretty much pick out the a dozen people which might fail spectacularly and pair them with five decent and three good cooks. Nobody wants to watch normal guys lose weight on The Biggest Loser either, you'll need some freaks to fill out the ranks of nobodies.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Arms_Akimbo posted:

You can get most of the seasons uncensored on DVD. Do yourself favor and grab one. This episode might have been nutty, but it's got nothing on past seasons.

Also, two weeks in a row with an ambulance stock shot in the promo. This is shaping up to be an amazing season. (Did anyone even cut a finger last week?)

I'm gonna sound creepy as hell, but whatever. Several times in past seasons, they've had blurred nudity (sometimes a nip slip you want to see, sometimes Blue Jay's rear end crack, which you don't). Just how uncensored are the DVDs? :fap:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

JoshGuitar posted:

I'm gonna sound creepy as hell, but whatever. Several times in past seasons, they've had blurred nudity (sometimes a nip slip you want to see, sometimes Blue Jay's rear end crack, which you don't). Just how uncensored are the DVDs? :fap:

I believe you are looking for This Ain't Hell's Kitchen with Chef Jordan Rams'em. That said, I think most DVD sets that are uncensored are also unblurred. Happy... happy holidays.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think people just freak out and don't know what to do when something goes wrong. Like their chicken is undercooked, they can see it's undercooked, but the beef has gone to the pass and Ramsey is yelling for the chicken, where is it, why is it not here now?! So they panic and bring it up when they know drat well that it's not going to make it.

Of course also some of them are idiots who never actually taste the food they're making and it tastes awful.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
Wouldn't you just ask for a minute more of time before you serve someone pink chicken? Except if you're a plant and just to gently caress things up - because probably everyone who ever cooked chicken knows it shouldn't be pink.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Well yes, logically. But I honestly believe in the moment some of them believe that's not an option.

That guy has gone up, you have to go up now too no matter what state your food is in.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

13stitches posted:

Wouldn't you just ask for a minute more of time before you serve someone pink chicken? Except if you're a plant and just to gently caress things up - because probably everyone who ever cooked chicken knows it shouldn't be pink.

I've always wondered this too. Why would they send something out if it's completely 100% obvious that Ramsey is probably going to throw down his jacket and come beat them up? Especially when it comes to raw meat.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Didn't someone get evicted in a previous season for serving rancid crab meat? How did that even happen?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If he's all "where's the chicken???" and you say "two more minutes, chef," he also loses his poo poo. You haven't seen that?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

If he's all "where's the chicken???" and you say "two more minutes, chef," he also loses his poo poo. You haven't seen that?

I would think that would be preferable as you're just getting poo poo for needing to work on your time management skills and not giving people food that could make them very sick. Or at least turn them off scallops I guess.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

JoshGuitar posted:

The Raw and Uncensored DVD sets are completely bleep and blur free. It feels like you're watching it on Showtime.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
You'll get poo poo for taking too long with the food, but like I said before, he would much prefer proper food that took longer than raw food given to him quickly. Too many chefs do the latter and it hurts them. You'll get chewed out either way, but "I took a little long on the chicken" sounds a lot better than "I'm sorry I served you raw chicken."

And sometimes chefs just lose their heads entirely. Remember when Josh kept making more and more spaghetti without being told?

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, it's a no-win situation. Ramsay knows exactly what he's doing.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

raditts posted:

Where did you learn about this, is there an article about it or something? I'd heard about the messing with the stove thing somewhere, but never this one.

This is a reply from awhile back, but I just watched the most recent episode and was avoiding spoilers.

Okay, so I work with actors, although I am not one myself. Take this information with a grain of salt.

There was a controversy not too long ago, in that details from one of the top competitors of some reality show's contract (can't remember if it was a singy or a cooky or whatever) leaked out, and in it was a guarantee that they wouldn't be eliminated before the top six or something. The topic came up while I was talking with some actors and they verified a few things. Now while I can't say for 100% certain Hell's Kitchen does these things, I wouldn't be surprised. They do use the "producer's rights" disclaimer in the credits, after all. So yes, the goofy fuckups in elimination shows ARE often actors, and in the case of a show like HK, they'd be actors who have some knowledge of cooking, but not enough to realistically make it past the first few rounds or be a threat to the contestants who ARE real chefs. They often audition actors using casting calls with fake titles. To audition, you apparently have to sign an NDA, but I guess I know a few people who broke theirs. In fact, apparently, at no point is an actor supposed to reveal that they ARE actors to the public, any other contestant, even the other actors, or they face potential lawsuits. This is usually why a guarantee is included into some of the more talented chefs or those with at least high ratings potential contracts. It keeps them from being bumped off over a silly mistake early on. It's also why people who are obviously not great in the kitchen but have that ability to keep causing huge drama somehow manage to avoid getting eliminated until closer to the end. In fact, after watching this week's episode, I would not be in the least surprised if the four up for elimination had guarantees, and Nicole didn't. Probably not; she really did suck.

It's like what someone else pointed out. If it were just an hour each week of competent chefs preparing food competently, nobody would watch. For those of you who follow pro wrestling, it's easiest to just think of it as reality tv's version of kayfabe.

Tasteful Bulge fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 26, 2014

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Tasteful Bulge posted:

In fact, apparently, at no point is an actor supposed to reveal that they ARE actors to the public, any other contestant, even the other actors, or they face potential lawsuits.
So for any actor taking up one of these offers, it would be the last gig they ever do?

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

subroc posted:

So for any actor taking up one of these offers, it would be the last gig they ever do?

I should clarify this. I meant that during production and up to a certain amount of time after. These aren't actors from LA or NYC typically. We're talking places like Florida, Maryland and Jersey. You might one day see them in a commercial for the local sports bar, but not in the next Spielberg.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think one thing that's important to realize is that Ramsay doesn't catch every mistake, even every obvious one. On the other hand, sometimes when he blows up over something its just because its time for a blow up, not because what the chef did was really that terrible.

So I think if you're a contestant its easy to think of sending undercooked meat as a gamble. Sure, there's a good chance you'll get chewed out, but if you take extra time you'll also get chewed out, so the only chance you have of completely skating is just putting it up there and hoping you get lucky.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Except that the food that skates by Ramsay still goes to a customer and i have to think that is worse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

Except that the food that skates by Ramsay still goes to a customer and i have to think that is worse.

That's true, if bad meat goes out to a customer, and then that customer complains, Ramsay is guaranteed to explode. That is a much worse situation.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tasteful Bulge posted:

In fact, after watching this week's episode, I would not be in the least surprised if the four up for elimination had guarantees, and Nicole didn't. Probably not; she really did suck.

I find it baffling because I don't understand how someone that deadpan and boring right out the gate made it past the audition/selection process in the first place. It's not like she showed glimmers of personality or real cooking ability at any point.

It'd make more sense if Nicole was kept around for drama, but to have someone that lifeless eliminated right away and in that fashion is really bizarre to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet if you looked back at every season they try to put one person in there who's more introverted and just really has no business being on a reality show. I think they probably hope the bright lights and attention will freak them out, and potentially cause some kind of breakdown.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Well, she did kinda break down, in the closing interview. :allears:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
The Dr. Phil and KN episodes of Amy's Baking Company have been scheduled for 4/9 and 4/11 respectively! :getin:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Suzuki Method posted:

Well, she did kinda break down, in the closing interview. :allears:
It's funny, she showed more passion in that walkout than she did in two dinner services. :allears:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Sighence posted:

Took surf rock's suggestions, some from others, and added a few of my own, then used an online generator:

http://imgur.com/a/8lZjI

Ten cards, should be enough for people.

"Hell's Kitchen Bingo Cards? What's in the middle? Do you yell 'Donkey'?" - my wife on seeing these. Tonight is going to be fun.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Basebf555 posted:

I think one thing that's important to realize is that Ramsay doesn't catch every mistake, even every obvious one. On the other hand, sometimes when he blows up over something its just because its time for a blow up, not because what the chef did was really that terrible.

So I think if you're a contestant its easy to think of sending undercooked meat as a gamble. Sure, there's a good chance you'll get chewed out, but if you take extra time you'll also get chewed out, so the only chance you have of completely skating is just putting it up there and hoping you get lucky.

In relation to all the talk about mistakes / sending up under cooked food, I know we see about 30 minutes of service per week maybe? probably less. The service has to actually last 4-5 hours though right? Like a real restaurant service? Given you have 8-10 hours of service between the two teams, I imagine you get enough mistakes to make the show without having t resort to fiddling with the stoves.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm pretty sure they only do one seating most of the time, which hopefully wouldn't take that long.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

"Hell's Kitchen Bingo Cards? What's in the middle? Do you yell 'Donkey'?" - my wife on seeing these. Tonight is going to be fun.

Those are only for the elimination portion, but hell, I'll whip up some for the main show too once I get to a real computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm pretty sure they only do one seating most of the time, which hopefully wouldn't take that long.

Yea, a single seating would not take long at all. Or.. I should say ... a single seating SHOULD not take long at all.