Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ilkhan posted:

The "T-Mobile" version is the unlocked version.

I mean, what's the difference between this, where there's only two color choices:

and this, during the checkout process of the whole Moto Maker thing:

Also I think switching would save me about $20/mo which means eating the $72 ETF is probably the right call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
full moto maker customization versus simple color choice? Probably nothing.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Either you mistyped or you are crazy. Modesto <-> Portland is a 10 hour drive. Maybe you meant 5 times a year?

Not a typo. We will be doing 5900 miles a week. The data usage (and price) is why I really want T-Mobile to pan out. My experience with it in the past had been if you weren't in a major city it was garbage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadokin posted:

Not a typo. We will be doing 5900 miles a week. The data usage (and price) is why I really want T-Mobile to pan out. My experience with it in the past had been if you weren't in a major city it was garbage.

Hey phones aside and stuff that's a really stupid thing to do.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

Fallom posted:

Hey phones aside and stuff that's a really stupid thing to do.

We drive for a living and get paid well to do it, unless you are saying people who drive period are stupid in which case in my experience that would be a resounding yes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

T-Mobile specific question.

I have a Nexus 5 - so obviously no T-Mobile software on it. It's rooted, with a fairly recent AOKP nightly. I'm on T-Mobile prepaid. The only T-Mobile anything on it is a very buggy Visual Voicemail app.

My boss, my mom, and my stepdad all have T-Mobile. Boss and stepdad both have recent T-Mobile branded handsets (both Samsung; stepdad has a SGS4, boss has whatever their current lower end LTE handset is - completely stock). I've noticed whenever I talk to either of them, the call quality is fantastic. I'm not talking "no drop outs or pops"; it's more like "it sounds like they're speaking through a $100,000 home theater system, while standing next to them as they speak, with the $100,000 system blasting into both of my ears". It honestly doesn't sound anything like a phone call.

Mom has whatever slider version of the SGS3 T-Mobile carried last year; I don't notice such call quality with her, though it does seem like call volume (to my earpiece) with her is painfully loud. She tends to shout into phones though..

I know T-Mobile has HD Voice, but doesn't that typically require a handset with T-Mobile-specific firmware?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 23, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Shadokin posted:

My experience with it in the past had been if you weren't in a major city it was garbage.

Not a whole lot has changed.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Brock Landers posted:

Not a whole lot has changed.

For streaming: this.

Portland to Salem you'll be fine, the coverage is at least hspa if not LTE.

Salem to Albany(my commute daily), you hit edge. As long as your streaming app caches enough before then, you'd never notice.

Albany to Eugene, mostly the same story, maybe some better hits of hspa or LTE from west Albany (my side of the interstate seems like its getting speed improvements lately, but can still be quite slow.)

Eugene on south I can't really say (yet) but it'll probably suck between Eugene and Roseburg, and then roseburg to grants pass or Medford.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

I have a Nexus 5 - so obviously no T-Mobile software on it. It's rooted, with a fairly recent AOKP nightly. I'm on T-Mobile prepaid. The only T-Mobile anything on it is a very buggy Visual Voicemail app.

My boss, my mom, and my stepdad all have T-Mobile. Boss and stepdad both have recent T-Mobile branded handsets (both Samsung; stepdad has a SGS4, boss has whatever their current lower end LTE handset is - completely stock). I've noticed whenever I talk to either of them, the call quality is fantastic. I'm not talking "no drop outs or pops"; it's more like "it sounds like they're speaking through a $100,000 home theater system, while standing next to them as they speak, with the $100,000 system blasting into both of my ears". It honestly doesn't sound anything like a phone call.

Mom has whatever slider version of the SGS3 T-Mobile carried last year; I don't notice such call quality with her, though it does seem like call volume (to my earpiece) with her is painfully loud. She tends to shout into phones though..

I know T-Mobile has HD Voice, but doesn't that typically require a handset with T-Mobile-specific firmware?

From what I understand it's not a carrier specific thing really, when the phone supports it, it works. At least if you're both on the same network. Here's a wiki article I found that may or may not help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Multi-Rate_Wideband

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

On T-mobile to get HD voice you have to have an HD voice capable phone and the person you are talking to has to have it as well. Pretty much all of T-Mobile's LTE phones have HD voice minus the Nexus 5 I believe. Your moms Galaxy S3 is probably the non LTE version and doesn't support HD voice. HD voice does sound awesome though when you talk to someone else who has it. I don't believe it is cross carrier though, just within your own carrier.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
I bit the bullet yesterday and hopped on the postpaid unlimited plan to (hopefully) lock in the $70 price (forever). Bye bye faithful/amazing $30 nerd plan.

I told the rep working with me my Moto X needed a nano SIM but he didn't believe me and grabbed a micro SIM because he thought the only phones that used nano's were iPhone 5s. :rolleyes: Christ dude I know I'm a girl and typically girls != technology not to mention the average consumer is a tard when it comes to this stuff but at least give me the benefit of the doubt, ugh. Anyway he ended up activating the micro SIM and gave me an unactivated nano SIM which I only now figured out after bitching to T-Mo that I couldn't do anything for the past 24 hours. :argh:

Anyway, to post helpful content: Supposedly discounts on T-Mo service thru AAA and that PTA group are going away/not working anymore. However according to some people on Howard Forums there is a 15% discount on monthly service that still works for Corporate Perks members (it is free to sign up for Corporate Perks). A couple of people have reported success getting that discount to work for them. I just applied it to my account and will post back when I get the approval/denial but I thought it might help someone else out in the mean time. v:v:v

Here's the HoFo thread for anyone interested: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1825948-Membership-discounts-are-disappearing-AAA-usafact-org-freelancers-etc

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Shadokin posted:

I'm moving to Modesto, ca this coming week and currently have sprint. My wife and I will be driving from Sacramento up to Portland, OR round trip 5 times a week for work. The whole way will be on the i5. After looking at the coverage map for sprint it appears as though we will need a new carrier.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with T-Mobile in this area? We are heavy streamers, between 14 to 18 hours of streaming radio a day and some Netflix thrown in combined together. We also need to be able to make and receive phone calls without them perpetually dropping.

If anyone is able to help me make a informed decision on this I'd appreciate it.

I live in Sacramento and drive up to Southern Oregon pretty regularly. Tmo usually gives me voice coverage most of the way, but bars dip down low when passing by Lake Shasta, and north of Yreka to Ashland. You'll have areas through there where data will drop down to edge, or be temporarily unavailable. I haven't been up to portland area in a few years, so I can't predict, but I'd guess you'd also have a similar situation between Grants Pass and Roseburg. You'd probably be able to stream Pandora on 95% of the trip, but you'd probably be out of Netflix range for a couple hours of the trip.

South of Stockton (like Modesto), I've had pretty lousy coverage. I guess if you're in the Modesto metro area (heh) most of the time, you'd be fine, but the central valley rural areas are poison for Tmo. You might want to check out Vzw or ATT.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Thanks everyone for the responses, I appreciate them all.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Burden posted:

On T-mobile to get HD voice you have to have an HD voice capable phone and the person you are talking to has to have it as well. Pretty much all of T-Mobile's LTE phones have HD voice minus the Nexus 5 I believe. Your moms Galaxy S3 is probably the non LTE version and doesn't support HD voice. HD voice does sound awesome though when you talk to someone else who has it. I don't believe it is cross carrier though, just within your own carrier.

The N5 does support HD Voice on T-mo, according to both LG and AnandTech.

I was mistaken on mom's phone, it's the Galaxy S Relay 4G. Looks like it's a cross of the SGS2 and SGS3 (closer to SGS3 in specs, closer to SGS2 for camera, display, and "4G"). And yeah, it's not LTE.

Is LTE a requirement for HD Voice? HSPA+ has plenty of bandwidth, but also has higher latency - I regularly pulled 10-25mbit downstream on my Nexus 4 (HSPA+) with ~50-100ms pings; I pull anywhere from 10-55mbit on the N5 on LTE with pings sitting between 10-35ms most of the time.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

The N5 does support HD Voice on T-mo, according to both LG and AnandTech.

I was mistaken on mom's phone, it's the Galaxy S Relay 4G. Looks like it's a cross of the SGS2 and SGS3 (closer to SGS3 in specs, closer to SGS2 for camera, display, and "4G"). And yeah, it's not LTE.

Is LTE a requirement for HD Voice? HSPA+ has plenty of bandwidth, but also has higher latency - I regularly pulled 10-25mbit downstream on my Nexus 4 (HSPA+) with ~50-100ms pings; I pull anywhere from 10-55mbit on the N5 on LTE with pings sitting between 10-35ms most of the time.

Some HSPA+ phones had it. The one I can remember is the HTC One S.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Just a heads up, it appears that tmo adjusted data usage for family plans a bit. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

• (good) $50 per month with 1 GB (was 0.5 GB) of data for first line, all other lines step to 1G.
  • (meh) $10 extra per line for 3 GB of data (was 2.5 GB)
  • (bad) $20 extra per line for 5 GB of data and no tethering (was unlimited with 2.5 gig tethering)
  • (bad) $30 extra per line for unlimited data with 5 gig tethering in fine print

So if you're on the family plans, might have to stick with them for a while to avoid the data cost increases.

More carriers are moving away from 'unlimited data' as well. Even though their costs continue to decrease.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

goninzo posted:

Just a heads up, it appears that tmo adjusted data usage for family plans a bit. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

• (good) $50 per month with 1 GB (was 0.5 GB) of data for first line, all other lines step to 1G.
  • (bad) $20 extra per line for 5 GB of data and no tethering (was unlimited with 2.5 gig tethering)
  • (bad) $30 extra per line for unlimited data with 5 gig tethering in fine print

So if you're on the family plans, might have to stick with them for a while to avoid the data cost increases.

More carriers are moving away from 'unlimited data' as well. Even though their costs continue to decrease.

$10 to go from 5G to unlimited isn't really that unfair. I stream radio to my phone, download apps, and watch short video clips and I've never gone over 2G in a month. If I got forced into a 5G bucket, I'd probably bitch and moan on principle but in the end it wouldn't really have any effect. If you want to stream Netflix every day and use your hotspot as your home internet connection with an app to sidestep the tether limit, I have no issue with them collecting an extra :10bux:, especially with the recent obvious investment in the LTE network and the scarcity of spectrum. At least they're still offering it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Qwijib0 posted:

$10 to go from 5G to unlimited isn't really that unfair. I stream radio to my phone, download apps, and watch short video clips and I've never gone over 2G in a month. If I got forced into a 5G bucket, I'd probably bitch and moan on principle but in the end it wouldn't really have any effect. If you want to stream Netflix every day and use your hotspot as your home internet connection with an app to sidestep the tether limit, I have no issue with them collecting an extra :10bux:, especially with the recent obvious investment in the LTE network and the scarcity of spectrum. At least they're still offering it.

So since I know you're in my neck of the woods, how is t-mobile in Tucson anyway? I remeber like 10 years ago it wasn't so great so I switched to verizon but I'm looking to see what else is out there now since my work isn't going to pay for my phone now.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

So since I know you're in my neck of the woods, how is t-mobile in Tucson anyway? I remeber like 10 years ago it wasn't so great so I switched to verizon but I'm looking to see what else is out there now since my work isn't going to pay for my phone now.

There is one place I don't get service, it's on sunrise at hacienda del sol for about a 1/4 mile. Everywhere else it's great, 10+ megabit down.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 25, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am not sure if there is anyone following this thread that really cares about ETF reimbursement. In case there is though, I submitted my claim on January 30th 2014. Today (March 24th) I received a check card for $390. The fine print on their website (the part about 8 weeks from approval) concerned me because it took like 5 or 6 weeks to approve my claim and never updated to show the card had been shipped. However, true to the call center's word, I received my reimbursement in less than 8 weeks from submission.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

goninzo posted:

If I have the 70 dollar unlimited plan now, I assume I am grandfathered in?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

badjohny posted:

If I have the 70 dollar unlimited plan now, I assume I am grandfathered in?

That's what they're doing for individual lines, so I can't imagine family plans would be any different.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

goninzo posted:

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but the new plans (1, 3, 5 GB) should all include tethering up to the limit out of the same data bucket. The unlimited plan had a separately defined limit.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Naffer posted:

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but the new plans (1, 3, 5 GB) should all include tethering up to the limit out of the same data bucket. The unlimited plan had a separately defined limit.

You are correct.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Kreeblah posted:

That's what they're doing for individual lines, so I can't imagine family plans would be any different.

Are the $70 unlimited individual plans at risk of going away? Would it be worth it for me to upgrade, if I'm at the $60 unlim. phone/unlim text/2.5 GB data plan?

I can financially handle it, so it might be worth it.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Er, the individual unlimited plans are now $80.

It says in the T&C below "No tethering." In somewhat of a random spot too. So I assumed the other plans didn't include tethering either.

e: Note, Tmo's idea of 'unlimited' is 'unlimited high speed'. You can always use a lower speed if you're beyond your limit. That lower speed is 20Kbps, or like 1/2 a normal modem.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What is it about Omaha that makes T-Mobile not sell plans here.

They sell plans in Des Moines which is a city less than half the size.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

What is it about Omaha that makes T-Mobile not sell plans here.

They sell plans in Des Moines which is a city less than half the size.

No towers, you'd be roaming all the time. Tmobile's core network used to be voicestream wireless which was a (large) regional carrier, and through all the acquisitions they never picked up one who had coverage in Omaha.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Qu Appelle posted:

Are the $70 unlimited individual plans at risk of going away? Would it be worth it for me to upgrade, if I'm at the $60 unlim. phone/unlim text/2.5 GB data plan?

I can financially handle it, so it might be worth it.

The $70 unlimited plan is becoming $80 soon (I don't remember the exact date). Once that happens, if you already have it, you'll keep the $70 rate. If not, you'll have to up your plan to $80 for unlimited. The only other difference is the $80 plan will come with 5GB of tethering per month, whereas the grandfathered $70 one will still just have 2.5GB of tethering.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Thanks.

Looks like the True Unlimited Everything plans are already $80.00, with 3GB being $60 and 5 GB being $70. I've never even come close to hitting that 3 GB ceiling (in fact, I've never passed 2 GB), but I'll be going on vacation soon, which will need more data. Plus, I love streaming music sometimes.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Looked into getting the new HTC One M8 for $200 /w contract renewal and apparently I've been living under a rock and there are no contracts anymore.

So now I have to front $600 or start paying monthly installments that will end up equaling that? That kind of blows, I've had tmobile forever and just enjoyed upgrading for $200 every couple years.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Unless you were on one of their super-low-cost grandfathered unicorn plans (most of which have since fallen vicim to The Great Plan Purge), you were already paying monthly installments. It was just all rolled up into a higher monthly service fee.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vulcan posted:

Looked into getting the new HTC One M8 for $200 /w contract renewal and apparently I've been living under a rock and there are no contracts anymore.

So now I have to front $600 or start paying monthly installments that will end up equaling that? That kind of blows, I've had tmobile forever and just enjoyed upgrading for $200 every couple years.
The plans are cheaper and you can provide your own phone and keep the lower monthly bills or get one from them and pay more every month. If you pay more every month the more every month part stops when you finish paying for the phone (unlike on ATT/Verizon/Sprint when you pay for that month's portion of a phone whether you have a new phone to be paying for or not). Its really a better deal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vulcan posted:

Actually it's awesome, what blows is paying the $200 then paying an inflated bill that shanked you for more than the remaining $400 over the next year alone, then never getting a lower bill after your contract runs out.

but what do I know, some people are so bad with money they literally do not know they're paying for something unless they get beaten over the head with the fact, and get mad about paying less in total because they thought they were previously getting something for free despite paying more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Actually it's awesome, what blows is paying the $200 then paying an inflated bill that shanked you for more than the remaining $400 over the next year alone, then never getting a lower bill after your contract runs out.

but what do I know, some people are so bad with money they literally do not know they're paying for something unless they get beaten over the head with the fact, and get mad about paying less in total because they thought they were previously getting something for free despite paying more.

Yeah, explaining this to people is a daily struggle. I will def say that.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I traveled to Omaha last fall and T-Mo worked fine for me. Even tethered a bit to avoid the hotel wifi and it was plenty fast for general use. That's just my experience though.

On another note, I got a Nexus 7 through T-Mo in January and have the free data for life with on demand data that I buy when I travel. For the last two months they have not automatically put the offsetting bill credit of $10 for the 200MB free data. They've fixed it each it time but I hope it's not a monthly recurrence for me to have to contact billing every drat month.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I'm on the nerd plan and just went over my 5 gigs. Data is still working obviously, and my phone is still connecting over LTE. I assumed it would switch to edge, but I guess it makes more sense to throttle me. Any idea what speeds I'm being limited to?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="427484571"]
I'm on the nerd plan and just went over my 5 gigs. Data is still working obviously, and my phone is still connecting over LTE. I assumed it would switch to edge, but I guess it makes more sense to throttle me. Any idea what speeds I'm being limited to?
You tell us.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="427484571"]

From what I've heard, roughly Sprint speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="427484571"]

Reports vary from 200k (edge but still decent) to 2mbps (which would be great). Also many people say it doesn't kick in till a decent bit past 5gb (like 5.5/6gb sometimes).