Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
gentoo: literally compile everything from scratch

arch: who fucken cares here's the most common poo poo and you can compile just the small stuff

ubuntu: fartz

linux mint: you might as well just run windows vista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
All Linux distributions suck right now.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

im rolling crunchbang bc i like my distros to fall in the fourthmeal food quadrants

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

oval office AND PASTE posted:

use arch you idiot
no

what i really want is an install so loving bare that you have to type every file in /etc by hand

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gentoo: literally compile everything from scratch

arch: who fucken cares here's the most common poo poo and you can compile just the small stuff

ubuntu: fartz

linux mint: you might as well just run windows vista

i reject the false equivalence that makes ubuntu respectable

arch, gentoo, and mint are all non-enterprise shitsack distributions, but they dont deserve to be grouped with ubuntu.

broken out of the box, for three years at a time. LONG TERM SUPPORT

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

u kno min t is a n ubunut

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i want to see a distribution where "stage one" consists of basically mkfs.ext4, and busybox trimmed of everything that is there for convenience's sake, from that point you have to download other stuff in shell extractor format via wget

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 26, 2014

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

so arch

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I will also say that we're probably going to revamp notifications again in 3.14. There's lots of issues we want to fix, and a redesign has been going on for at least a year.

hi, add win+# shortcuts to launch favorited activities, its the only thing in unity that scores a victory over gnome

there was an addon which did this but it broke like a year ago due to your apparently unstable api and nobody has bothered fixing it

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 26, 2014

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

you have gnome 3.4, notifications got a complete rehaul in 3.6

never knew lucy was a guy's name

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I will also say that we're probably going to revamp notifications again in 3.14. There's lots of issues we want to fix, and a redesign has been going on for at least a year.

also why does getting the bottom bar to display require slamming my cursor against the bottom of the screen 4 times

and why does right clicking a systray icon cause the bottom bar to hide again. while im obv the only person in the world who actually uses linux steam or linux dropbox it still seems kinda shortsighted???

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

steam and dropbox are the bane of my existence

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

whats wrong with dropbox

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i like openSUSE

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"*.pkg.tar.xz" wtf is this fancy poo poo, arch is nothing like what i'm describing stfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4kBRC2co7Y&t=160s

drat kids think running tar at the command line is as primitive as it gets, there's a whole world beyond that i tell you

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 26, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
looking over linux from scratch it's kind of what i'm after but with less building from source and more hand-configuring, i wanna recapture that thrill of installing mcc interim back in the day and earn my beard properly

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

looking over linux from scratch it's kind of what i'm after but with less building from source and more hand-configuring, i wanna recapture that thrill of installing mcc interim back in the day and earn my beard properly

THE THRILL OF RAW LINUX

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

also why does getting the bottom bar to display require slamming my cursor against the bottom of the screen 4 times

You push against the bottom of your screen with pressure. You can also use <Super>M. Some people have been having issues with the pressure system, and that's something we're going to rework.

Progressive JPEG posted:

and why does right clicking a systray icon cause the bottom bar to hide again. while im obv the only person in the world who actually uses linux steam or linux dropbox it still seems kinda shortsighted???

Yeah, this is a really sore point. Basically, because of how X11 works, whenever something pops up a menu, it has to basically take a global mutex known as a "grab" so that it's delivered all keyboard / mouse input. When you open the message tray, we take the grab, so if we don't drop it beforehand it will try to take a grab and fail. We've seen dumb apps crash as a result of this.

We also have no idea whether the tray icon will take a grab or not: clicking on it could also do dumb unspecified things. And if we drop the grab but leave you in the "message tray mode", then we lose all keyboard / mouse input, so you're left with a mode you can't get out of.

So we drop the grab always and bounce you back out of message tray mode.

Tray icons are bad and pretty much everybody is looking forward to getting rid of them.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

hi, add win+# shortcuts to launch favorited activities, its the only thing in unity that scores a victory over gnome

Yeah, this is a simple win that we should add. It's not too difficult.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Can you not move around the windows on a panel in gnome3, or is that just me? It'd be great if I could just drag whatever app and move it left or right of whatever else is open. I can do that fine in gnome2.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i keep meaning to just like, boot up a fedora livecd and just compile an entire linux system from scratch with all the latest legacy-free poo poo just for grins

i figure systemd takes care of a lot of the boring poo poo these days so you wouldn't spend ages writing your own artisanal rc system and just use the standardised toolkit as Poettering intended

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

Can you not move around the windows on a panel in gnome3, or is that just me? It'd be great if I could just drag whatever app and move it left or right of whatever else is open. I can do that fine in gnome2.

Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts tab -> Windows section -> "Move Window", defaults to Alt+F7 here

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts tab -> Windows section -> "Move Window", defaults to Alt+F7 here

All that does is focus the window so you can drag the window around on the screen.

Suppose you open a terminal, and that's now tabbed to a panel. Then you open a browser, also tabbed to the panel. On gnome 2, I can left click and hold, then drag one of those tabs. So the terminal tab would now be on the right.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't know what "tabbed to a panel" means.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know what "tabbed to a panel" means.

Whatever you want to call it. When you open up an application, and it's now shown on your panel, and you can click into it.

Contact List, Tiger, and Link Contacts can each be selected / focused. You can move their positions in gnome 2 but not gnome 3.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can I see a screenshot of your desktop then? The panel doesn't exist anymore in GNOME3.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can I see a screenshot of your desktop then? The panel doesn't exist anymore in GNOME3.

If the panel no longer exists in gnome 3, then when you open an application, whatever you call the thing the application sits on. I want to be able to move their positions around on that thing.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the desktop?
click and drag them?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Awia posted:

the desktop?
click and drag them?

You can't. That's the point. :bang:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Post a screenshot.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Post a screenshot.

I don't understand what you want a screenshot of. A vanilla gnome 3 install with two or three apps open? You can't visualize that?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

have you tried alt + clicking and dragging?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

I don't understand what you want a screenshot of. A vanilla gnome 3 install with two or three apps open? You can't visualize that?

I can, but I don't see what apps sit on.

What are apps sitting on here?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I can, but I don't see what apps sit on.

What are apps sitting on here?

Ah, okay, I see the confusion here. The only thing I did is set the .xinitrc to
exec gnome-session --session=gnome-classic

What that does differently on the backend I don't know. I just want to be able enjoy the same functionality as before. Speaking of which, the weather app is a big step back. Otherwise gnome 3 is alright, thanks for asking for input on it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ah, so you're talking about the panel in classic mode. OK then.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, we had a weather app before?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, we had a weather app before?

Yes, it's just called Weather Report 2.32.1.1 . It fetches METAR, and you can read it just like going to NWS. It'll also show you a radar image from the weather channel and update it every few minutes. The icon shows if it's cloudy / dark and what the temp is. It really works quite well.

e: version number

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
you didn't censor out the most shameful part of image?

you listen to Mötorhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
screenshots are the primary use for a linux desktop

also the primary use of linux productivity apps. gotta screenshot the fact that you are able to open an office document / pdf