Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateAccount posted:

That old SAN is still worth a non-zero amount of money to someone out there.

Getting someone to give you a non zero amount of money seems difficult sometimes. Hell, most of the time you are paying someone just to come take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlternateAccount posted:

All of our old equipment is worth something to someone. But is it worth having someone go through and DBAN the disks and organize it and list it for sale and then handle the transactions etc.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

Power/heat budget, no space for it, no use for it, it's supermicro, we could use money for the beer fund et c.

Granted you have to do a cost analysis, but generally re-purposing for DR when non is available is cheaper than scaling out for DR ground up.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Bob Morales posted:

I have that problem with my boss when I fire up something that's GPL.

IS IT FREE HOW CAN IT BE FREE

Here's the projects web page and the GPL that I printed out for you

BUT HOW IS IT FREE NOBODY WRITES STUFF FOR FREE

(ask me about "How can it be secure the source code to it is on the internet for anyone to see!")

Oh god.

To get into the opposite of this:

A customer wants redhat EWS.

"It's opensource so it must be free, why are you telling me it costs money you are just being difficult"

:sotw:

Also, I just got this gem:

quote:

Subject: MUST READ: Power Strips

Good afternoon!

Per the Fire Marshall, please do not plug a power strip into another power strip as this creates a fire hazard.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Put it on Ebay and Bob Morales' boss can buy it and run it off a second hand UPS with refurbished batteries he also got of Ebay.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Varkk posted:

Put it on Ebay and Bob Morales' boss can buy it and run it off a second hand UPS with refurbished batteries he also got of Ebay.

It's on Ebay, so it must be a good deal. This sounds like something that could be a good business opportunity for some enterprising souls.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

All of our old equipment is worth something to someone. But is it worth having someone go through and DBAN the disks and organize it and list it for sale and then handle the transactions etc.

Wouldn't you be using DBAN anyway, just so that some slub picking it out of the trash doesn't get all of your company info?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

nitrogen posted:

Oh god.

To get into the opposite of this:

A customer wants redhat EWS.

"It's opensource so it must be free, why are you telling me it costs money you are just being difficult"

:sotw:

Do you mean Red Hat EUS? If so that's even more hilarious.

:downs: We don't want to update to the latest version and want support. Wait: why would that cost money?
The Linux version of refusing to update from XP.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lightning Jim posted:

Do you mean Red Hat EUS? If so that's even more hilarious.
EWS is JBoss. You can always get upstream from jboss.org, but no support and all that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Volmarias posted:

Wouldn't you be using DBAN anyway, just so that some slub picking it out of the trash doesn't get all of your company info?

No, it just piles up in the warehouse

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

evol262 posted:

EWS is JBoss. You can always get upstream from jboss.org, but no support and all that.

Ah. I literally happen to be in a RHEL training class this week and he thought I mean EUS when I asked.
(the training systems have only a special room intranet access so I have no Internet except for my phone)

Content (similar issue): Since I work at a center that has different paid levels of support - I get people who by the cheapest support on a cheap system and are wanting support above and beyond the what the highest paid level of support offers.
"You bought hardware only support. I cannot support your software issues." is an example. Another is expecting us to make our extended trial work on his system, and explaining that we should be giving it for free anyways. And no, he will not go onsite physically to the system since it's too difficult. (We didn't put that server in that data center)
Yes, I it's just that they are trying to milk what they can from us but at least I can push back.

I've also gotten to experience the "Engineering vs Sales" problems. Especially when someone straight up sales something saying "it's supported by us" when it's a third party part.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 25, 2014

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Sans/raid doesn't work like that, you could shuffle the drives around reinitialize them to overwrite anything that was previously there but most sans have utilities to wipe them. I'm not saying not to dban individual drives but dbanning a San is kinda funny in thought.

namol fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 26, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

No, it just piles up in the warehouse

I have seen a desk made out of a plank of wood sitting on top of two stacks of out-dated blade servers, each ~15 servers deep.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

evol262 posted:

Yeah, this, but i only found a 30 day evaluation after looking for about 15 seconds.

It amazes me that a large company paying lots of money for our services would cheap out on jboss.

But apparently, they are.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 26, 2014

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Comedy Relief:

Seen on the Toyota Nation forums. -Someone- has a sense of humor, at least.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Volmarias posted:

This is how all of our old hardware ends up:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sir_Substance posted:

I have seen a desk made out of a plank of wood sitting on top of two stacks of out-dated blade servers, each ~15 servers deep.

I want this desk.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sickening posted:

Getting someone to give you a non zero amount of money seems difficult sometimes. Hell, most of the time you are paying someone just to come take it.

At my old job we wound up giving our old SAN to one of the interns for the price of him coming in on his day off to wipe the drives and carry it off-site himself. His poor VW Golf was really struggling with the weight of the shelves, disks, controllers and PSUs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nitrogen posted:

quote:

Per the Fire Marshall, please do not plug a power strip into another power strip as this creates a fire hazard.
Hah. I visited a "datacenter" (of the ubiquous closet/storage room-turned-datacenter variant) where I found four daisy chained consumer power strips ultimately plugged into a single socket.. The power strip nearest the socket was hot to the touch. :supaburn:

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

frogbert posted:

This is how all of our old hardware ends up:

In my early years when I worked for a PC hardware supplier, we'd pile up dead drives and other 'hardware for disposal' in the warehouse and let tech support take shifts on it with a sledgehammer. Most creative way to bleed off stress I've seen to this day.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Hah. I visited a "datacenter" (of the ubiquous closet/storage room-turned-datacenter variant) where I found four daisy chained consumer power strips ultimately plugged into a single socket.. The power strip nearest the socket was hot to the touch. :supaburn:
[/quote]

Most power strips I have come across are rated at 16A, which is more than your average fuse allows you to draw anyway.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

My favorite stupidity story in regards to powerstrips:

I was doing some theater tech about 20 years ago, and was out one day during implementation of things due to a medical issue.

I came back, and started setting up the lights and the circuit breaker kept tripping. I went to look to see WTF and found out the director plugged in about 25 amps of lights into a 15 amp circuit with a power bar.

"I used the powerbar to spread out the power so it wouldnt trip the breaker!"

In other news, I really loving hate Linux's multipathing.

LVM is smart enough to ignore component devices of multipaths (which is good)
Multipath however is not smart enough to ignore single pathed devices, like local storage. (which is bad, because multipathd will suck in the local storage devices and make a mapper device for them unless you blacklist the storage controller.)

IT'd be nice if our configuration guys allowed us to use the cciss driver for HP local storage, but for some reason or other, they dont want us using it, so that makes things even stupider.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Most power strips I have come across are rated at 16A, which is more than your average fuse allows you to draw anyway.
These were cheap-rear end white power strips made from plastic so thin you could almost see through it, the kind you can buy a three pack of for $5. I doubt they were rated for anything.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My coworker was at one of our remote sites on Monday and while there replaced a desktop UPS that staff had complained "just stopped working!!!" Someone had plugged a space heater into the battery backup side and melted half the plugs on that side. Well gee, there's your problem. :rolleye:

In other powerstrip news, due to new code we are being forced to buy "medical grade" powerstrips for any device that touches a patient. Medical grade powerstrips are just regular powerstrips with a sticker slapped on the side (and an insurance policy attached, presumably) that are 10x as expensive. $100+ for some of these goddamn things and I have no idea how many dozens we are going to need.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

In other news, I really loving hate Linux's multipathing.

LVM is smart enough to ignore component devices of multipaths (which is good)
Multipath however is not smart enough to ignore single pathed devices, like local storage. (which is bad, because multipathd will suck in the local storage devices and make a mapper device for them unless you blacklist the storage controller.)

IT'd be nice if our configuration guys allowed us to use the cciss driver for HP local storage, but for some reason or other, they dont want us using it, so that makes things even stupider.
There are some flash drives which advertise multipathing. We can't really do anything about about it. But this isn't usually problematic. Even livecds use multipathing (the embedded FS is /dev/mapper/live-rw) What are you trying to do that you need to blacklist them?

cciss is dead. All new hardware should be hpsa.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

In other powerstrip news, due to new code we are being forced to buy "medical grade" powerstrips for any device that touches a patient. Medical grade powerstrips are just regular powerstrips with a sticker slapped on the side (and an insurance policy attached, presumably) that are 10x as expensive. $100+ for some of these goddamn things and I have no idea how many dozens we are going to need.

I worked for a canadian company that manufactured medical devices and I'm convinced the entire medical grade electronics industry in the USA is a giant scam that is just a side effect of USA's big insurance scam.

Our device was this flimsy little box with a small circuit board and a bog standard power socket, but we had to sell these giant medical grade power supplies with "medical grade" cables that were twice as heavy as standard cables.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Stupid People. Stupid people piss me off.

Specifically the illiterate jackass who thinks he is going to assign me tags to spin up and configure a stack of VMs when my last day is two days from now.

This mook is subbing for our real manager while he's on vacation and he's a retard on top of being illiterate. He tells me that my work queue is almost empty so he's assigning me a couple of work tags to complete. I tell him, gently and using small words, that the reason my queue is empty is because my last day is Friday and I'm wrapping up stuff, not starting new projects.

So last night at 7:47pm he is emailing me about the status of a ticket that he dumped in my queue at 5:30 (I was long gone by then, having left the office around 2pm. Because gently caress you I'm short that's why.)

His emails for status updates were full of misspellings and typos and grammatical errors like these little gems:

Retard posted:

are you business, need status on Mobile Connect

Retard posted:

Can you provide on following work orders:

Retard posted:

With said, new work move to other resources due to you known departure.

My response to his work status request emails was a simple:

Agrikk posted:

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

I need to switch jobs more often. This short timer poo poo is really, really fun.

edit: Hah hah hah! He's just put two tags to build 30 VMs into my queue. And there they will stay, my friends. Unanswered and unopened. Lost in time.

edit:

Retard posted:

I ran the meeting this morning and share the that needed to be address.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 26, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So what is the go-to for PC inventory scanning? I have used Spiceworks in the past and am not too fond. I also have scraped together a powershell script that spit out a CSV file.

Anything new/better out there? I got dumped with doing an physical inventory.

I could probably use NMAP and get it done as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Moey posted:

So what is the go-to for PC inventory scanning? I have used Spiceworks in the past and am not too fond. I also have scraped together a powershell script that spit out a CSV file.

What are you inventorying? The physical hardware or the details of the machines?

PDQinventory is great for some of this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Agrikk posted:

edit: Hah hah hah! He's just put two tags to build 30 VMs into my queue. And there they will stay, my friends. Unanswered and unopened. Lost in time.

Not seeing the big deal here? Make a vm and then do virt-clone 30 times? :confused:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Not seeing the big deal here? Make a vm and then do virt-clone 30 times? :confused:

Maybe it was 30 unique configurations, because yeah, spinning up generic vm's is not much work.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ratbert90 posted:

The VM deployment process here follows an exacting script that's mostly manual processes. Each VM takes about 3 hours work and involvement with other teams. And that's if everything is running smoothly, and backups have been preregistered in TMS and their entries appear in DNS, and the network segments exist in the ESX cluster, etc.

I'm pushing back here because I will end up leaving a set of half completed servers for someone else to finish. It is easier to let someone build the servers from beginning to end instead of having to figure out what remains to be done.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Agrikk posted:

The VM deployment process here follows an exacting script that's mostly manual processes.

Wow. They have this great automation toolset that you pay big $$$ for yet they choose to do things manually. loving laughable.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Sickening posted:

Wow. They have this great automation toolset that you pay big $$$ for yet they choose to do things manually. loving laughable.

Dude, you don't even know. That's why I'm splitting this scene for greener pastures and smarter people.

I tried lobbying for some automation and basic deployment tools since they already have access to them, but nope. It's all Yes, Yes, Next, Yes, Next around here.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Like needfuls in the rain.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Today started off pissing me off, but ended up enjoyable.

Time to have a conference call with a third party to figure out what the hell is wrong with the GPG encrypted zip files they are sending us. Oh, what's this? They can't upload new test files for us? Oh, it turns out the SFTP server software the prime installed was never licensed and had been running in trial mode. I contact the project manager for the prime (we're the sub)...

Me: blah blah blah, I don't know if so-and-so (prime employee) forgot to register or never purchased, blah blah blah
PM: Are you a Christian man?
Me: No.
PM: gently caress this! gently caress this place! Jesus loving Christ! I'm sick of all of this poo poo. I keep telling them to just charge things to their loving American Express.

I wonder why he's been looking for another job...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Moey posted:

I like PDQ Inventory for this, depending on what you need.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My comment was supposed to be a joke guys. :smith: Obviously running virt-clone 30 times would create a bunch of havock without configuring each one of them manually after they where cloned, and virt-clone is only good with kvm solutions anyways.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I like PDQ Inventory for this, depending on what you need.

According to the request, I just need to hunt down numbers per department for Desktops, laptops, thin clients, zero clients and printers.

I'll have to play around with PDQ Inventory, heard lots of good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
What's pissing me off? Well...

When is the big important changeover from the old company inventory and scanning system to new company stuff? Monday
When did the only person capable of doing any kind of IT work on site find out about this? Today

And I only found out because it came up sideways in another conversation. There's software to be installed, figuring out how to connect it back to the new company network and scanners to configure. WHY AM I JUST FINDING OUT ABOUT THIS GIANT PLAN NOW?!

I will not be working this weekend.