Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just realized the thread title change and it should be Buzz's Atrial Clobbering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

swickles posted:

I just realized the thread title change and it should be Buzz's Atrial Clobbering.

Aortal is also a word... they refer to different parts of the heart.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

thexerox123 posted:

Aortal is also a word... they refer to different parts of the heart.

The aorta is one of the great vessels, the largest artery leaving the heart, and technically not part of the heart proper. The atria are actually a part of the heart and in the case of a heart punch, the left atrium would take the brunt of it (along woth the left ventricle) due to the orientation of the heart.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I reckon more people immediately understand what aortal is referring to than atrial.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Angry Walrus posted:

I reckon more people immediately understand what aortal is referring to than atrial.

And that's what Community's all about.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Dan Harmon and his friends do that DnD podcast thing, Last year i was asked to develop characters for a possible animated series about that.

They never did anything with my designs, but I thought you guys would appreciate them.

Its Dan, Erin, a guy from workaholics and Jeff Davis.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
D&D is a bad and boring game, the only role-playing game that looks any fun at all is the fake "True American" game from New Girl that is a mix of American trivia plus the floor is lava thing from this season of Community plus excessive beer drinking.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Typical posted:

Its Dan, Erin, a guy from workaholics and Jeff Davis.

That is super tight butthole!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

1st AD posted:

D&D is a bad and boring game, the only role-playing game that looks any fun at all is the fake "True American" game from New Girl that is a mix of American trivia plus the floor is lava thing from this season of Community plus excessive beer drinking.

True American isn't really a role-playing game anyway.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I rather play Pile of Bullets.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Error 404 posted:

Uh...

This goes triple for Pathfinder.

But anyway, anyone interested in rpgs should check out the D&D (Dice & Drama) subforum of Games, we talk about all kinds of games and you're sure to find something that looks cool if you want to try something out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I enjoy Dungeons and Dragons, these days, although I could never take it seriously when I was younger. Now I realize you don't have to take it THAT seriously to do it (although it helps to have a great DM who let's you roll your own dice and is very adaptive to player decisions), but just more seriously than "and then I fart!"

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
D&D is as fun as the DM and players make it. This varies.

This episode was good but it seemed to really fly by. I do think I'll use the "you'd better think to not use fire on this old bridge" trap in my next D&D session this week.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

superjew posted:

Exactly.
If you have a good DM and some fun people to play with, D&D can be a blast. A decent campaign helps too. If I still had the free time I used to, I'd probably still play.

I need to rewatch this episode. I wasn't feeling it like the original D&D episode, but I was also trying to do some work at the same time so I may have not been paying enough attention.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I loved the first D&D episode and this one just felt like an unnecessary rehash.

The emotional stakes felt a lot more high-stakes in the first D&D episode. They were literally trying to keep a kid from committing suicide. It really mattered that Pierce was loving with the game, because Neal's emotional stability and maybe, life was at stake. In this episode, who cares about Hickey's run-of-the-mill family drama?

In addition, the "in-game" gags were mostly just second-rate rehashes of the first episode, and the D&D in-jokes (if they matter, which they don't) were way worse. Nothing beats Pierce cheating by reading the sourcebook, I'm sure that came directly from Harmon's experience with the game. In this episode we got... ragging on Hobgoblins? Yeah, you tell them Jeff.

Everything the Dean did was funny, although I wish they would have just left the "I rub the hilt while you rub the blade" joke alone instead of running it into the ground.

gently caress it, I'm watching the original episode tonight.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My only issue with the episode (as well as the Meowmeowbeans and ACB episodes) is how abruptly they end. It felt like they needed just a little more time to wrap the episode up. I really hope they release "extended episodes" for the DVDs.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

superjew posted:

This episode was good but it seemed to really fly by. I do think I'll use the "you'd better think to not use fire on this old bridge" trap in my next D&D session this week.

Please make Crouton the name of an NPC.

I've been in RPG campaigns that were a blast, because the Game Master (we were playing Shadowrun at the time) allowed for the players to be as surreal and silly as they wanted to be. Hence, I played Govan, the Ninja Librarian.

I've also had Game Masters take it so seriously that he treated it like a method acting course. Which made it extremely dull extremely quickly.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Watched the finale. It pretty much encapsulated season 4 in that it was fine. Not bad, not great, but fine. There were some decent jokes, and the core story about Jeff being afraid of both becoming a better person and of reverting to his old self made sense to me. Bringing back paintball was dumb, but I thought the Darkest Timeline worked as a metaphor for Jeff's concerns so as long as they never bring it up again, I'm cool with it. Also I liked Jeff's graduation speech.

Ultimately I feel kind of conflicted about season 5, or at least the Repilot, now that I've seen that season 4 wasn't nearly as bad as I was led to believe. I remember hearing once that the original plan was that the show would continue beyond graduation, and we'd get to see the characters out in the world, I think would have been interesting (though admittedly potentially disastrous) and considering the optimistic note season 4 left on, the Repilot seems kind of cynical and almost spiteful to its predecessor by sticking everyone back in the school and telling them all that they failed life and need to start over.

Anyway, the rest of season five is great and they hardly spend any time at the school anyway, so there's not much to complain about, but I just kind of like the Repilot less now.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 25, 2014

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I feel like half the people in this thread watched a different season 4 than I did, because I found most of the episodes so painful to watch that I spent most of the air nights after the show drinking heavily to try to remove the plots from my brain. That's not an exaggeration, and I don't want to start (or continue) a fight, mostly because I just realized, I think, why there's never going to be any reconciliation on the topic. For me, Community is the best showcase of the humor of Dan Harmon (Rick & Morty is rapidly rising, but it's really only half-Harmon), now my favorite TV comedy writer, and I suppose more broadly one of my favorite modern comic minds. His grasp of good story structure, his reflexive questioning of social mores and obligations, and his loving insane insistence on actual character development in a sitcom while still swinging for the fences conceptually all compelled me to seek out more of his stuff - Harmontown, Laser Fart, etc. etc. For those of us who know his work, Community is Dan Harmon, from each of his characters to his (as I see it) beautiful overarching theme of attempting, and often failing, to become a more complete, less selfish human being. For me, his absence could be felt palpably in every episode, and I'll go out on a limb and guess that many of those who share similar feelings as myself about S4 share a similar affinity (whether they realize it or not) for the Harmonness of the show.

So, all this is to say that it's OK to be a Community fan without being a Dan Harmon fan, but I think the last several pages of mystified back-and-forth are probably the result of everyone focusing on the symptoms of their hatred or acceptance of S4, rather than the cause, which I posit boils down to either love of or ambivalence to Harmon's unique style.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lord Of Texas posted:

I loved the first D&D episode and this one just felt like an unnecessary rehash.

The emotional stakes felt a lot more high-stakes in the first D&D episode. They were literally trying to keep a kid from committing suicide. It really mattered that Pierce was loving with the game, because Neal's emotional stability and maybe, life was at stake. In this episode, who cares about Hickey's run-of-the-mill family drama?

I prefer the first D&D episode too, but simply because I think it was funnier (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was very good though). However, while realistically, there was more at stake in the first D&D episode, it didn't really have any impact on me as a viewer because Neil was (and still basically is) a non-character (Jeff even has a line in reference to his status as a background character in Adv. D&D, while Neil is literally in the background doing something). Hickey has had more development in one season than Neil has had in all seasons combined, which is natural because he's in the main cast. I'm more invested in even very minor concerns of Hickey than I am in anything concerning a Neil tier character.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 26, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JesusFists posted:

So, all this is to say that it's OK to be a Community fan without being a Dan Harmon fan, but I think the last several pages of mystified back-and-forth are probably the result of everyone focusing on the symptoms of their hatred or acceptance of S4, rather than the cause, which I posit boils down to either love of or ambivalence to Harmon's unique style.

Maybe this is just me projecting, but I also feel like you can really tell that the cast isn't having as much fun during season 4. They're just not into it in the same way, and the things that they were saying/tweeting after Dan Harmon returned sounded like sighs of relief all around.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Nichael posted:

I prefer the first D&D episode too, but simply because I think it was funnier (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was very good though). However, while realistically, there was more at stake in the first D&D episode, it didn't really have any impact on me as a viewer because Neil was (and still basically is) a non-character (Jeff even has a line in reference to his status as a background character in Adv. D&D, while Neil is literally in the background doing something). Hickey has had more development in one season than Neil has had in all seasons combined, which is natural because he's in the main cast. I'm more invested in even very minor concerns of Hickey than I am in anything concerning a Neil tier character.

See, for me, I don't think it matters that Neil had been a non-character up to that point. That cold open puts us with him, emotionally. We understand immediately what's at play.

Neil is going to commit suicide unless the group can intervene. Stakes don't get any higher than that. Life and death.

The second episode has high stakes in as much as a child-parent relationship torn apart and attempted to be resurrected. I think where it runs in to trouble is that there already isn't a relationship there between Hickey and his son, so the negative outcome is that there will continue to not be a relationship, which is a little passive.

Life and death, man. It's what it's all about.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I could never give a poo poo about the stakes of the first one because I cannot buy that playing just one game of D&D with a fat nerd is just going to magically clear up his issues and depression and make him magically not-suicidal. Whereas the second D&D episode's hook was trying to find a starting point for Hickey and his son to start reconnecting, something easier to swallow.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Angry Walrus posted:

I could never give a poo poo about the stakes of the first one because I cannot buy that playing just one game of D&D with a fat nerd is just going to magically clear up his issues and depression and make him magically not-suicidal. Whereas the second D&D episode's hook was trying to find a starting point for Hickey and his son to start reconnecting, something easier to swallow.

Yeah, if you think this episode was better than the first D&D episode you're loving wrong. :colbert: First was better in every way.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Yeah, if you think this episode was better than the first D&D episode you're loving wrong. :colbert: First was better in every way.

He raises a good point though. The first one was unrealistic in its end goal, while this one was plausible. I still prefer the first one, but I this one's main problem, and subsequent solution made more sense, and had more weight for the audience.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Counterpoint : the Dean playing.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Nichael posted:

He raises a good point though. The first one was unrealistic in its end goal, while this one was plausible. I still prefer the first one, but I this one's main problem, and subsequent solution made more sense, and had more weight for the audience.

It's strange, then, that this one's goal was completely arbitrary. In the first one they were simply trying to include an outcast in a social situation by introducing an element to make him feel safe, while in this one they arbitrarily said "if we win DND I get to go to my grandson's birthday". That the outcome of DND somehow had a direct effect in a relationship, as opposed to essentially an ice breaker, was something that immediately made me feel the setup was contrived.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

It's strange, then, that this one's goal was completely arbitrary. In the first one they were simply trying to include an outcast in a social situation by introducing an element to make him feel safe, while in this one they arbitrarily said "if we win DND I get to go to my grandson's birthday". That the outcome of DND somehow had a direct effect in a relationship, as opposed to essentially an ice breaker, was something that immediately made me feel the setup was contrived.

Although that wasn't the original goal, that's just what it eventually turned into after his son hosed up everything.

And at the end they seem to have forgotten about that whole bet at least at the immediate moment.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
According to TV Guide talks have begun about making the movie, and "NBC and Sony insiders say they're optimistic that a final, 13-episode season is in the cards for Community"

The article contains spoilers for the season 5 finale.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Community-Season-Renewal-1079686.aspx?rss=breakingnews

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I am both excited that they're achieving their goal and disappointed that this show is not continuing forever.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I am dumbfounded at the idea of actually getting "six seasons and a movie". Seriously? I remember when it looked like the series might end after season 2 with Pierce leaving the study group after paintball. Community is the most up-and-down relationship I've ever had.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ladyboy pancake posted:

I am both excited that they're achieving their goal and disappointed that this show is not continuing forever.

I'm just glad we are getting another season. I remember hoping we'd get a third.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

What about 6 Harmon seasons and a movie?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ratjaculation posted:

What about 6 Harmon seasons and a movie?

Season 3 is so Harmon it counts as two.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Were they looking at doing another law and order type episode? I thought I'd read a while ago about annie having more forensic science stuff to do and just assumed that meant another L/O spoof.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Kingtheninja posted:

Were they looking at doing another law and order type episode? I thought I'd read a while ago about annie having more forensic science stuff to do and just assumed that meant another L/O spoof.

They kind of redid it with the ACB episode. I bet they'll mock CSI next season though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or maybe they'll stop rehashing tired gimmicks and come up with something new for a change.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

come up with something new for a change.
Seriously? You're saying Community doesn't do original things?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Or maybe they'll stop rehashing tired gimmicks and come up with something new for a change.

You're one to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

Seriously? You're saying Community doesn't do original things?

Do? No. Did? Hell yeah. Its not a coincidence that this season feels more like Community's Greatest Hits than a fresh new start. We already had L&O 2, Paintball 4 and D&D 2. In two weeks we're getting Cartoon 3. It'd be nice to get an episode featuring stuff that wasn't done better in the first three seasons once in awhile.

• Locked thread