Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

FAUXTON posted:

E2: Hangouts chat messages (not SMS) are failing to send. Mother Fucker.

This actually might have been an issue with Google Hangouts. Hangouts is the primary form of communication for my entirely remote company and there were all sorts of issues today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Niyqor posted:

This actually might have been an issue with Google Hangouts. Hangouts is the primary form of communication for my entirely remote company and there were all sorts of issues today.

OK, that helps a little bit, but I was also having trouble loading pages and search results.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

OK, that helps a little bit, but I was also having trouble loading pages and search results.

All of Google pretty much broke today. :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/17/its-not-just-you-google-hangouts-has-gone-down-hard/

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TLG James posted:

Just port to google voice and never deal with that poo poo again.

The google voice SMS app, and Google Voice in general, is so loving terrible and unsupported by Google that after, I dunno, 3 years of Google Voice use I officially abandoned it this month.

I don't know how anyone can seriously recommend using it anymore.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

The google voice SMS app, and Google Voice in general, is so loving terrible and unsupported by Google that after, I dunno, 3 years of Google Voice use I officially abandoned it this month.

It'll be merged into Hangouts in a few months (probably around Google I/O) so there IS support but it's not to better that app but to merge it.

It's better than playing the porting game with lovely carriers like Straight Talk/Net10. :v:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ShaneB posted:

I'd agree with you in some regards. For me I rarely use SMS or MMS so that doesn't bother me. Google voice integrates nicely with android phones and it allows me to switch carriers whenever I feel like. It also allows me to have a legit phone number where people can leave me a voicemail when I go overseas.

That said, it sucks if you have an iPhone and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone but my most nerdy friends.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just switched to AIO from Tmobile since I'm barely using 1GB of data and their unlimited plan is going up to $80 a month. AT&T's LTE network is still much better than Tmobile's in Las Vegas. Just got back from a 30 min. drive and streaming music didn't drop once while I can get multiple drops from Tmo as it switches back and forth from LTE to 3G or just loses the connection for a moment. Very happy for $45 a month.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If I order a sim card from AIO, and port my TMo number to it online, does the port process automatically start? Or does it not begin until I get the SIM card in the mail?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

If I order a sim card from AIO, and port my TMo number to it online, does the port process automatically start? Or does it not begin until I get the SIM card in the mail?

The port won't go through until you actually activate the SIM.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SB35 posted:

The port won't go through until you actually activate the SIM.

I am in the process of transferring to AIO from GoPhone but have one more month left of credit so I wouldn't be activating until the first week of May. If I order the Basic ($40) plan and the Nano sim now will there be any issue with waiting over 30 days to activate it? Also, can I get a confirmation that the Basic plan works with Smartphones such as my Moto X and my wifes iPhone 5? I was originally going to get the 2.5GB but it seems I use around 500-700mb a month, I doubt I'd notice the 2000Mbps speed. Will Pandora still work at that speed?

Thanks in advance!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I am in the process of transferring to AIO from GoPhone but have one more month left of credit so I wouldn't be activating until the first week of May. If I order the Basic ($40) plan and the Nano sim now will there be any issue with waiting over 30 days to activate it? Also, can I get a confirmation that the Basic plan works with Smartphones such as my Moto X and my wifes iPhone 5? I was originally going to get the 2.5GB but it seems I use around 500-700mb a month, I doubt I'd notice the 2000Mbps speed. Will Pandora still work at that speed?

Thanks in advance!

They send their SIMs 2-day shipping, so you probably don't need to order them so early. Girlfriend is currently on the 500mb basic plan with her iPhone 5 and has had zero issues so far.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I use basic with my moto x just fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was in the middle of Iowa (driving down I-80 from IL to Des Moines) and was on roaming with no data. I notice an Android setting allowing me to use data while roaming. What are the consequences of doing this on the TMobile nerd plan?

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
Nothing. You won't get any data at all. If you try to web browse you'll be redirected to a T-Mobile upsell page.

Any apps that require internet connection won't load.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

What are the consequences of doing this on the TMobile nerd plan?

According to the T-Mobile prepaid website...

T-Mobile prepaid fine print posted:

Data roaming only available for the $50, $60, $70 & $80 monthly plans.

...you shouldn't be able to data roam at all on the dork plan.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Has anyone used H2O wireless? I'm genuinely curious as their $40/mo plan seems like it'd be perfect for me data-wise and only $36/mo with the autorefill. I recently moved from ST to AIO, are there any downsides to h2o?

edit:
I'm seeing no LTE on h2o, and data is cut off after your limit rather than throttled. Anyone confirm/deny?

SB35 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 27, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

SB35 posted:

Has anyone used H2O wireless? I'm genuinely curious as their $40/mo plan seems like it'd be perfect for me data-wise and only $36/mo with the autorefill. I recently moved from ST to AIO, are there any downsides to h2o?

edit:
I'm seeing no LTE on h2o, and data is cut off after your limit rather than throttled. Anyone confirm/deny?

Hofo forum people say h2o is about on the same level as straight talk, maybe worse. ie non existent customer service but if it "just works" for you, great. There is no LTE either.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
I think I'm going to have to lose my number switching from Net10 to AIO. No combination of account numbers/PINs on AIO's online port form is working. I tried so many times they blocked my payment info. And AIO's customer service has been useless so far. I'm going to try calling the customer service once more in the morning in the hopes of getting somebody helpful and after that I'm giving up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

I think I'm going to have to lose my number switching from Net10 to AIO. No combination of account numbers/PINs on AIO's online port form is working. I tried so many times they blocked my payment info. And AIO's customer service has been useless so far. I'm going to try calling the customer service once more in the morning in the hopes of getting somebody helpful and after that I'm giving up.

Why not just port it to Google Voice, take whatever number AIO gives you, and just point the new GV number at the AIO number?

I mean I like AIO and all, but if you're having THAT much trouble, I would just do the alternative. Yeah, you'd be dealing with Voice and it's shortcomings (until they're hopefully fixed or somewhat made less painful by merging into Hangouts in about 2 months) but at least you'd get to keep your number.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

You can go back a page or two and see my account of ST to AIO porting. Rumor is though that a few dollars for a gophone or tmo sim, port out to there, and then porting into aio should be quick and easy. Don't give up just yet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speaking of Aio, do they allow tethering? At some point I may need more than 100 minutes a month and Aio looks to be a decent option.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of Aio, do they allow tethering? At some point I may need more than 100 minutes a month and Aio looks to be a decent option.

Tethering a tablet? They probably can't even tell. Tethering a PC? They probably would let light use slide but if you're, I don't know, on the road a lot (and want to stream your animes and jpop library or whatever the gently caress) then you probably ought to just cough up the money for a proper tethering plan with a carrier that sells it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Officially? No.

But they can't actually tell unless your device has Android 4.4.x or above. This is because the OS itself will alert your carrier if you're tethering.

With AIO merging into Cricket, we may get an option to officially add tethering to your plan as Cricket has had one for a while now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is it just me or does cricket mandate all users to have speakerphone on at all times?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Is it just me or does cricket mandate all users to have speakerphone on at all times?

I haven't run into anyone on Cricket in a while...where are you at where Cricket is prevalent. hah

Most people around Omaha I know are on Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, or Boost Mobile. No one seems to use Straight Talk or AIO. Cricket might be in there somewhere, but I see Sprint and Verizon more than prepaid around here.

Also, why the name change? :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't run into anyone on Cricket in a while...where are you at where Cricket is prevalent. hah

Most people around Omaha I know are on Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, or Boost Mobile. No one seems to use Straight Talk or AIO. Cricket might be in there somewhere, but I see Sprint and Verizon more than prepaid around here.

Also, why the name change? :v:

There used to be a half-decent Chinese restaurant over by the cricket store at like 85th/Dodge. Might still be but I haven't really been over in that area in a while because to be honest there isn't much in the way of meaningful civilization along Dodge West of 72nd or so. Dead mall, strip malls, live mall, beluga sprawl. Anyway, I'd occasionally be going to eat there or pick up some takeout and there was pretty reliably some random rear end in a top hat putting around outside the Cricket store there sharing his conversation, the reek of his cheap cigarettes, and the stench of his even cheaper cologne (When I am dry-heaving after catching a whiff of Curve or Gio or whatever other bottled catpiss from 20+ feet away you laid that poo poo on too drat heavy) to anyone within range. If I had to make a hard guess I'd say salesperson but it was always different individuals playing the same role.

The name change happened because I grew tired the old one. It was pretty cool but all cool things must be shelved.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 27, 2014

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Why not just port it to Google Voice, take whatever number AIO gives you, and just point the new GV number at the AIO number?

I mean I like AIO and all, but if you're having THAT much trouble, I would just do the alternative. Yeah, you'd be dealing with Voice and it's shortcomings (until they're hopefully fixed or somewhat made less painful by merging into Hangouts in about 2 months) but at least you'd get to keep your number.

Because Google Voice doesn't support my area code or something.

SB35 posted:

You can go back a page or two and see my account of ST to AIO porting. Rumor is though that a few dollars for a gophone or tmo sim, port out to there, and then porting into aio should be quick and easy. Don't give up just yet.

Yeah I read all I can on Net10/ST to AIO porting, thanks for posting the info. Didn't work for me though. If I were to get a TMO sim, does that mean I'd have to be on TMO for a month's bill, then switch to AIO? Or do I just activate on TMO and switch to AIO immediately? That actually sounds reasonable, since TMO sims are only 99 cents.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

There used to be a half-decent Chinese restaurant over by the cricket store at like 85th/Dodge. Might still be but I haven't really been over in that area in a while because to be honest there isn't much in the way of meaningful civilization along Dodge West of 72nd or so. Dead mall, strip malls, live mall, beluga sprawl. Anyway, I'd occasionally be going to eat there or pick up some takeout and there was pretty reliably some random rear end in a top hat putting around outside the Cricket store there sharing his conversation, the reek of his cheap cigarettes, and the stench of his even cheaper cologne (When I am dry-heaving after catching a whiff of Curve or Gio or whatever other bottled catpiss from 20+ feet away you laid that poo poo on too drat heavy) to anyone within range. If I had to make a hard guess I'd say salesperson but it was always different individuals playing the same role.

The name change happened because I grew tired the old one. It was pretty cool but all cool things must be shelved.

Oh! Ok, I think I know that place. You mean the Cricket HQ store around there? I think the Chinese place is still there, never been though.

Hey, Crossroads might be dying but there's loving Five Guys, Smashburger, Noodles & Company, Gamers, and Barnes & Noble. I'm ok with this. :v: Also, Crossroads is supposed to get a redo later this year...but they've said that EVERY year so..yeah.

FAUXTON isn't as cool as being The Entire Universe, but I get the need for something new.

Anyway, I looked into H2O Wireless. It's sad that they're as crappy as ST is, but they do have a clear policy on no tethering. So...yeah.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Officially? No.

But they can't actually tell unless your device has Android 4.4.x or above. This is because the OS itself will alert your carrier if you're tethering.

With AIO merging into Cricket, we may get an option to officially add tethering to your plan as Cricket has had one for a while now.
N5, so yes it is 4.4.2. Also, drat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh! Ok, I think I know that place. You mean the Cricket HQ store around there? I think the Chinese place is still there, never been though.

Hey, Crossroads might be dying but there's loving Five Guys, Smashburger, Noodles & Company, Gamers, and Barnes & Noble. I'm ok with this. :v: Also, Crossroads is supposed to get a redo later this year...but they've said that EVERY year so..yeah.

FAUXTON isn't as cool as being The Entire Universe, but I get the need for something new.

Anyway, I looked into H2O Wireless. It's sad that they're as crappy as ST is, but they do have a clear policy on no tethering. So...yeah.

Sorry to burst your five guys and smashburger bubble, but there's Dinkers down in South O and their burgers loving own bones.

There's also Crave in Midtown Crossing and their burgers are incredible but I wouldn't compare them to straight burger joints. I wish Blanc was still open... :smith:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Sorry to burst your five guys and smashburger bubble, but there's Dinkers down in South O and their burgers loving own bones.

There's also Crave in Midtown Crossing and their burgers are incredible but I wouldn't compare them to straight burger joints. I wish Blanc was still open... :smith:

Dinkers, huh? Will have to check them out. Any recommendations?

Speaking of Midtown, that's what they want to turn Crossroads into...another Midtown. Target, B&N, and Sears will stick around though.

Poking around the AIO Facebook, it looks like things will really start changing for Cricket customers in March of 2015. According to their page, all Cricket CDMA phones (read: all of them) will cease to work after that date.

AIO is, hilariously and not unlike any other carrier, answering any real questions right now, preferably sending people to links rather than just straight up answering.

Some of these questions bring even MORE questions and realizations. Cricket has broadband that customers can buy for their laptops, desktops, whatever. I hope AIO keeps this. I don't use it, but it would suck if people were forced to go to a lovely ISP like Cox or Century Link just because AT&T decided to cut their internet.

As it stands, Cricket has MORE services than AIO has. It has broadband capability, tethering, a music service... While AIO users won't have changes, a GSM version of Cricket with BYOP, AT&T coverage + Cricket coverage, and all of those services would really be loving nice.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Because Google Voice doesn't support my area code or something.

Yeah I read all I can on Net10/ST to AIO porting, thanks for posting the info. Didn't work for me though. If I were to get a TMO sim, does that mean I'd have to be on TMO for a month's bill, then switch to AIO? Or do I just activate on TMO and switch to AIO immediately? That actually sounds reasonable, since TMO sims are only 99 cents.

From a couple of anecdotal posts, you should be able to port ST>Tmo>AIO within a day, maybe two. So, almost immediately.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SB35 posted:

From a couple of anecdotal posts, you should be able to port ST>Tmo>AIO within a day, maybe two. So, almost immediately.

Yeah, going from net10 to go phone took like an hour for me. Then a couple days to get the aio Sim, and that port took about the same.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Dinkers, huh? Will have to check them out. Any recommendations?

Speaking of Midtown, that's what they want to turn Crossroads into...another Midtown. Target, B&N, and Sears will stick around though.

Poking around the AIO Facebook, it looks like things will really start changing for Cricket customers in March of 2015. According to their page, all Cricket CDMA phones (read: all of them) will cease to work after that date.

AIO is, hilariously and not unlike any other carrier, answering any real questions right now, preferably sending people to links rather than just straight up answering.

Some of these questions bring even MORE questions and realizations. Cricket has broadband that customers can buy for their laptops, desktops, whatever. I hope AIO keeps this. I don't use it, but it would suck if people were forced to go to a lovely ISP like Cox or Century Link just because AT&T decided to cut their internet.

As it stands, Cricket has MORE services than AIO has. It has broadband capability, tethering, a music service... While AIO users won't have changes, a GSM version of Cricket with BYOP, AT&T coverage + Cricket coverage, and all of those services would really be loving nice.

They're good burgers all around, but their Haystack burger is pure fatass American decadence. So is their Bluejay burger, which I prefer, but the Haystack is the one that wins awards. If you give half a drat about eating right, you'll want to kill yourself if you don't die from a burst aorta or something first.

If they turn crossroads into something half as useful as Midtown Crossing I'll be surprised. They're probably not going to put a Wohlner's in there, probably not a Brix or a Grane (imagine Brix but for distilled spirits), probably not The Afternoon, etc. New poo poo to visit is always neat but it's probably moot considering the ambulatory filth we've got for a mayor shitcanned the bond ballot issue that was supposed to get things started. That disgusting hog's lust for all things sprawl is almost as bad as her hatred of sound budgeting and civil rights.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 28, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Crossposting from recommend thread because I hadn't found this one-

Has anyone tried republic wireless, scratch, or other "buy one phone, use wifi mostly" plans? I feel like the phone is a big investment if it sucks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Crossposting from recommend thread because I hadn't found this one-

Has anyone tried republic wireless, scratch, or other "buy one phone, use wifi mostly" plans? I feel like the phone is a big investment if it sucks.

I had the Moto X on Republic for 3 months and loved it. For $10 you really can't go wrong if you don't need internet on the go. Sprint's voice coverage is fine and the handoff from Wifi went just fine. They do run a modified version of android so you're not going to be able to do custom roms and such, and you're missing out on 4.4 still. I had no issues porting over my number and the community is pretty quick to help out on the forums. The only downside imo is that they don't have reactivations yet so my X is just a paperweight until they turn that feature on.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I had Republic for a few months. Calls sounded great on my end but about half the time, people would say there was a thumping noise on their end. Using Sprint for data when I was away from Wi-Fi was painful. I switched to a Nexus 5 on AIO's Basic plan for $10 more a month and the service is well worth the extra cash.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I had Republic also. It was a PITA since it uses Sprints network. Slow as hell and rural coverage was really bad. The only saving grace was I could tether to my work Verizon iPad but in the end I just decided to pay for a proper plan. Its worth the money to me.

One thing to add is Republic offers a 14 day (I believe?) trial. I ended up sending my X back in 10 days and got every penny refunded. The phone has to be in pristine condition though. Take pictures of it and a video of you boxing it up (I'm serious) just in case.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's what I need in a phone:

-Works on AT&T or Verizon (my current location has only those two providers)
-Travels well (I may soon move to Thailand for an extended stay and don't want to buy a new phone again there)
-Android
-Prepaid (I won't do cell contracts)

This means I should get a Galaxy S4 or S5 right? I currently have an assy Motorola of some sort grandfathered on Virgins 25/month plan but don't live in NYC any more so that does me no good.

If I wait until the S5 is officially out (the 11th) can I expect prices to come down much on the S4?

Can I chose my number somehow on Simple Talk or should I just cave and Google Voice it so I can participate more fully in being datamined every which way but loose.

2gb is enough to dick around on awful app and maybe watch YouTube videos sometimes right?

Is buying a used phone dumb?

Is buying an AT&T locked phone ok and will I be able to easily unlock it later?

• Locked thread