Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I honestly wouldn't mind getting not feature complete beta through GOG in second part of the year. I'd reserve second playthrough for "extended director's cut" version after couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

alex314 posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind getting not feature complete beta through GOG in second part of the year. I'd reserve second playthrough for "extended director's cut" version after couple months.

Please no. Let's not make early access an acceptable part of AAA game releases.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I see no downsides: you get title with flaws to fix, and a person that gets it at official release has mature patched and balanced product.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

alex314 posted:

I see no downsides: you get title with flaws to fix, and a person that gets it at official release has mature patched and balanced product.

That is exactly the legacy the devs are trying to escape now. Twice they've released a buggy and unfinished product that had to be fixed up later. It's a testament to them that they have done the extra work but let's not pretend it should ever be an acceptable business model.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 681 days!)

yeah that's pretty much a fantasy but it would take the edge off. that's not their goal though, their goal is to release the best game they can.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Releasing a buggy version of the game does more harm than good. A vast majority of the population will not play the game from start to finish, it would be incredibly dumb to release a buggy product and let people base the entire game off of that (because they will). Then you just end up with players defending it against all the judgements made from that early release, provided it does improve later. People will easily be swayed away from purchasing it and it will become another "will pickup for $5 on a Steam sale".

This is hardly a game that would benefit from a beta anyways. There is no balance to create for multiplayer and no infrastructure to test. There is only story which would get ruined from those that aren't completely impatient and riding the developer's dicks for the next taste of The Witcher.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

Are you seriously not able to wait few months for a good product? The only effect of "early access alpha / beta / omega whatever" (which s just a marketing term for we're not ready but you suckers will give us money anyway) is that it harms the reputation of the game, decreases incentives to fix issues on a timely schedule, and overall causes the suckers to have a miserable experience while deterring the general populace from buying on launch.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Something like early access makes sense for indie games still under development. Most AAA franchise games are at least partially funded from pre-order money, something that's not available to most smaller projects.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The bugs with early access games are usually pretty severe. Feedback is never "increase sword damage by 10%, ok now game is perfect", and always "half my quests are bugged in Chapter 1. Now I'm stuck after 5 hours of play why do I have to restart?? gently caress this game"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm definitely against early access. In a multiplayer game sure, but in a story-driven game like the Witcher, I want it to be right.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
So I got a question about The Witcher (the first game). I bought it today and played it for a couple hours for the first time ever. So far the writing and story have been reaaaally loving bad and sloppy. My question is, at what point does this game get good?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Story starts to show improvement once you get out of the village and into the city. It's eventually gets pretty good sometime during the city chapters, I think. Everyone agrees the first game starts out rough.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Also make sure you have the enhanced edition, because the localization before the EE patch was really much much worse.

I can't read it in the original polish, but I think that the big part of the bad writing in Witcher 1 is a combination of bad localization and that the writing team was writing for a fan-audience, so a bunch of the events of the first chapter only even make any sense if you read the books. Which is bad. W2 does a lot of crazy name-dropping but it's much easier to push past it because the localization is so much better and also because the game *does* eventually get around to explaining things for the player.

W1 not so much.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I must be in the outer because Chapter 1 immediately grabbed me and from then I was hooked. The story and atmosphere was really solid

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Witcher 1 was updated on Gog. Either the game itself or some extras, but I can't tell. Anybode know?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

dud root posted:

I must be in the outer because Chapter 1 immediately grabbed me and from then I was hooked. The story and atmosphere was really solid

Wow you must really like some lovely storytelling.

Anyway, I finished playing the first Witcher last week and just finished Witcher 2. The beginning of the first game was indeed god-awful but I'm glad I sat it through. Witcher 2 had easily the best story of any game I've played so far and that's saying something since I'm a picky gamer. I'm already soiling my pants over the Witcher 3 trailers but I just wish and hope CDProjekt doesn't get bought off by EA or that the storywriting won't suffer from that open world thingy. :ohdear:

edit: Nabbed from Wikipedia - -

quote:

The gameplay is wildly similar to that of the previous installment. The Witcher 3 will introduce "a living open world larger than any other in modern RPG history."[8] The setting is more than "30 times larger" than previous Witcher games,[9][10] requiring players to catch a sailboat to some locations and ride by horseback to others. However, fast travelling around the areas of known locations is also possible.[8] The Witcher 3 has been described as "20% bigger than Skyrim,"[11] Each action the player does will affect the world; every quest has a plethora of options on how to complete it, and every outcome is different each time. Combat, like the second game, revolves around an action RPG system combined with the use of magic, and a recent trailer displayed that dismemberment is present in the game. CD Projekt RED anticipates approximately 100 hours for the completion of the game,[12] 50 of them belonging to side quests, and 50 belonging to the main story line.[13] The game also features a dynamic day and night system, realistic AI, responsive and dynamic environments, and much more.

Alright this is just too good to be true.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 1, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nauta posted:

Anyway, I finished playing the first Witcher last week and just finished Witcher 2. The beginning of the first game was indeed god-awful but I'm glad I sat it through. Witcher 2 had easily the best story of any game I've played so far and that's saying something since I'm a picky gamer. I'm already soiling my pants over the Witcher 3 trailers but I just wish and hope CDProjekt doesn't get bought off by EA or that the storywriting won't suffer from that open world thingy. :ohdear:

They just recently delayed the game by a year to guarantee that it will be true.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
I'm still very sceptical about it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

dud root posted:

Yeah for some reason I was really enamored with the game from playing the demo, which was the prologue + the first part of Act 1. On replaying Witcher 1 I realised that Act 1 was pretty horrible and I just wanted to power through to Act 2 & 3 but for my first playthrough I was really taken in by the lovely village and surrounds.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dud root posted:

Yeah, I actually liked Chapter I the best. It was very... picturesque and atmospheric. Even better than W2, I guess.

I suppose I would appreciate a Witcher game that was just about Geralt roaming around the countryside and solving smaller but well-developed cases more than I do enjoy the grand-plot approach they have taken.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

steinrokkan posted:

I suppose I would appreciate a Witcher game that was just about Geralt roaming around the countryside and solving smaller but well-developed cases more than I do enjoy the grand-plot approach they have taken.

I am actually kind-of surprised that they have not said that they would do a 4th Witcher game where you get to make your own Witcher and it would have the ability to do multiplayer co-op with friends and be able to chose to go into a part of the world where there is PvP. It would also be possible to go purely single player, though. I think it is a great setting for it but the idea has been kinda beaten to death. And it would be hard to balance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I actually liked Chapter I the best. It was very... picturesque and atmospheric. Even better than W2, I guess.

I liked the first bit of W1 too, though it's objectively bad in lots of ways, because it was bad in such different and interesting ways from the bland d&d style fantasy. I was on the edge of my seat up to just before the big fight, at the end of Act 1. Then i had to do that 15 min sequence again and again because of no auto save, which damped my jolly enthusiasm right back.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

sebmojo posted:

I liked the first bit of W1 too, though it's objectively bad in lots of ways, because it was bad in such different and interesting ways from the bland d&d style fantasy. I was on the edge of my seat up to just before the big fight, at the end of Act 1. Then i had to do that 15 min sequence again and again because of no auto save, which damped my jolly enthusiasm right back.

Good. Less games should have auto save. I'm tired of being forced to wait for when the developer says it's okay for me to save and quit playing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PureRok posted:

Good. Less games should have auto save. I'm tired of being forced to wait for when the developer says it's okay for me to save and quit playing.

Right - I misspoke. This is a bit where you literally couldn't save between the end of the fifteen to twenty minute climactic dialogue scene of Act 1 (where you decide the murky and morally grey fate of the whole village) and the totally deadly boss battle that you probably aren't ready for and would have to do multiple times.

If they'd let me quicksave I'd have had no problem with it. As it was all the excellent weight of that decision was squandered because by the third or fourth try I was just hitting 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 to get through the cutscene dialogue faster and take another go at the boss.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 5, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If it's the boss I think it is(orange dog), try using your force push if you're stuck, he's vulnerable to instant kills when stunned.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

If it's the boss I think it is(orange dog), try using your force push if you're stuck, he's vulnerable to instant kills when stunned.
And if it doesn't work, you probably get stunlocked and die.

Not that the fight was particularly awful, but they probably should have put a savepoint at the start of it so you don't have to re-do that whole decision conversation.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I think a PC game should have both autosaves and quicksaves. Sometimes you just forget to hit f5 for 15 minutes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nauta posted:

I'm still very sceptical about it.

If there is one developer that delivers on a promise like this, it's this one. Prolly the only developer I have any faith in at all.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Ravenfood posted:

And if it doesn't work, you probably get stunlocked and die.

Not that the fight was particularly awful, but they probably should have put a savepoint at the start of it so you don't have to re-do that whole decision conversation.

This is a problem that repeats itself in the second game. In the non-enhanced edition of W2 there is no save point before a major boss encounter, and the sequence immediately preceding it is a rather difficult and frustrating combat scene. I actually stopped playing for a few months because it pissed me off so badly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ice Fist posted:

If there is one developer that delivers on a promise like this, it's this one. Prolly the only developer I have any faith in at all.

Ditto. I am holding off on getting a new computer now, so I can have a better one when W3 comes out. I need a new one pretty badly but I will endure this shitheap another ~6 months so I will have more money saved to spend on parts that will be cheaper those 6 months down the road.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nauta posted:

the gently caress does 'wildly similar' mean?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

dud root posted:

I did too, but objectively it was pretty bad. I just loved the atmosphere of that creepy corrupt village. Act 2 was a slog for me though, despite actually having a very innovative and highly reactive act long sidequest that its even possible to gently caress up entirely by the end. The prologue did nothing to hook me either.

Then in Act 3 it suddenly got really interesting.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I did too, but objectively it was pretty bad. I just loved the atmosphere of that creepy corrupt village. Act 2 was a slog for me though, despite actually having a very innovative and highly reactive act long sidequest that its even possible to gently caress up entirely by the end. The prologue did nothing to hook me either.

Then in Act 3 it suddenly got really interesting.

Im kinda the same, I loved the atmosphere of Act 1, kinda makes me wish there was a game where you just play a Witcher traveling from dreary village to dreary village killing monsters solving problems and trying to make just enough money to support yourself.
I never really enjoyed Act 2 and I dont even mind the swamp that much, but man Act 3 and on was pretty awesome.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SpRahl posted:

Im kinda the same, I loved the atmosphere of Act 1, kinda makes me wish there was a game where you just play a Witcher traveling from dreary village to dreary village killing monsters solving problems and trying to make just enough money to support yourself.

I get the impression there should be plenty of that in Wild Hunt.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, simple "walk about and help out the village you come across" quests are a clear way to utilize the open-world playstyle in the Witcher world. So I imagine you'll have a lot of that in parallel with the major storylines.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SpRahl posted:

I never really enjoyed Act 2 and I dont even mind the swamp that much, but man Act 3 and on was pretty awesome.

I liked Act 2 because it was the best fantasy city I'd ever played in. I mean they sheltered from the rain, so cool.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I have the enhanced edition on steam, and it keeps loving crashing to desktop randomly. How do I fix this? I just want to play the game!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

I liked Act 2 because it was the best fantasy city I'd ever played in. I mean they sheltered from the rain, so cool.

I did like how every once in awhile in the bad part of town a loving vampire would appear out of nowhere and try and eat one of the thugs loitering outside the inn.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I have the enhanced edition on steam, and it keeps loving crashing to desktop randomly. How do I fix this? I just want to play the game!

Witcher 2 I assume?

If your game is crashing to desktop during quick saves or when loading cutscenes, it's due to a lack of cached virtual memory. This fix lets programs have 4gb instead of 2: http://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/864975026790425356/

That is for Win7 64bit. If you have 32bit there is a similar fix, just google for it. If you have Win8, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
One of our programmers was talking about our occlusion system at GDC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPm3NXWcEec

EDIT: full thing: http://www.umbrasoftware.com/en/2014/04/10/how-the-umbra-3-visibility-solution-is-helping-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-realize-its-vision/

• Locked thread