Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Died on Danica's birthday. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Personperson14 posted:

goddamnit guys, Reddit beat us to sponsoring something :( step it the gently caress up.

NASCAR and Reddit are both terrible. Not surprising.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we should sponsor a car, but make them paint it like a milk carton and put Caro's face on the hood

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Nah we should donate money to charity instead because gently caress NASCAR.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

we should sponsor a car with doobie dogs

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

We should continue to sit in our moms' basements and complain about NASCAR.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gret posted:

We should continue to sit in our moms' basements and complain about NASCAR.

i'm talking about what we should do, not what we will do

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
We should somehow sponsor a car to promote Tim Richmond to the Hall of Fame.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would contribute to a kickstarter for SRA to do a start and park.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SpitztheGreat posted:

We should somehow sponsor a car to promote Tim Richmond to the Hall of Fame.

Yep

daslog posted:

Yup

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Can someone explain to me what Denny's "medical exemption" means?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

SpitztheGreat posted:

That the NASCAR rulebook continues to not actually exist?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SpitztheGreat posted:

he has both parts :ssh:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

he has both parts :ssh:
ITS HERMAPHRODITE TIME

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NASCAR Drivers with the Mystery AIDS

Tim Richmond
Brian Vickers
Trevor Bayne
Denny Hamlin (??)

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

That the NASCAR rulebook continues to not actually exist?

This is what I'm thinking. Does it mean that he was credited with Hornish's points? I've never heard of this "medical exemption" before and I don't like it. It also makes me think that he's more ill than they're letting on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Isn't there a rule that says you have to attempt every race to make the Chase even if you win? It might be an exemption to that, but who loving knows, the Chase is bad, etc.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Isn't there a rule that says you have to attempt every race to make the Chase even if you win? It might be an exemption to that, but who loving knows, the Chase is bad, etc.

The rule you're referring to says that you need to attempt to qualify for all 26 races, which he did. I just wish they had explained it during the race, but I have a feeling that the broadcast team didn't know what the gently caress it meant either.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It changed this year, IIRC, to go with the new-found concussion protocols.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

SpitztheGreat posted:

Exempted from steroids testing?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Denny said on twitter that there would be an announcement tomorrow. Was supposed to be today but I guess they delayed because of the Petty situation.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Went to Sears Point today for the NASCAR tire test, but it got rained-out. Apparently, they got a few laps in, had to pause the session to corral a goat that ran onto the track, then the rains came. Hoping it holds off tomorrow, but the forecast isn't very good. Saw Tony Stewart walking through the paddock, looks like his leg is getting a lot better.

EDIT:

daslog posted:

SRA, if you're reading this, I apologize in advance for your first LASTCAR article.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 26, 2014

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I'm assuming it's an untrue rumor, but one thing I heard is that Denny refused to take a drug test. While NASCAR isn't above covering something up, refusing a drug test is the same as failing one if I recall correctly.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bhester posted:

I'm assuming it's an untrue rumor, but one thing I heard is that Denny refused to take a drug test. While NASCAR isn't above covering something up, refusing a drug test is the same as failing one if I recall correctly.

Someone was saying in IRC that Denny had a nose candy problem when he started racing in NASCAR and only FedEx blackmailing NASCAR was able to prevent him being thrown out. And he was hospitalized for a 'sinus infection' this past weekend.

Hmm...

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Also a couple years ago he spent the offseason in Phoenix, AZ to "get away from everything." What I'd heard at the time was that he was in rehab.

What I don't understand about the "FedEx blackmailing NASCAR" rumor mentioned in the post above is that it's not like there aren't several other drivers who could win races and lose the championship to Jimmie Johnson in spectacular fashion in that car.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

Someone was saying in IRC that Denny had a nose candy problem when he started racing in NASCAR and only FedEx blackmailing NASCAR was able to prevent him being thrown out. And he was hospitalized for a 'sinus infection' this past weekend.

Hmm...

What kind of candy goes in the nose?! That's gross! XD

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bhester posted:

Also a couple years ago he spent the offseason in Phoenix, AZ to "get away from everything." What I'd heard at the time was that he was in rehab.

What I don't understand about the "FedEx blackmailing NASCAR" rumor mentioned in the post above is that it's not like there aren't several other drivers who could win races and lose the championship to Jimmie Johnson in spectacular fashion in that car.

I think it was mentioned that this was early in his career, where he was really impressive and had not yet shown himself as being an even worse choke artist than Will Power. FedEx probably thought they had the next Jeff Gordon on their hands.

But this is all just rumor anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

What kind of candy goes in the nose?! That's gross! XD

Crushed up smarties, they're the best!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tater_salad posted:

Crushed up smarties, they're the best!

Uh excuse me

Pixie Sticks :colbert:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Hell even Earnhardt is jumping on the wagon of what the gently caress is going on?

quote:

#88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. wants to know why there hasn't been more information about what caused #11-Denny Hamlin to miss Sunday's race at Auto Club Speedway. Hamlin was taken to a local hospital shortly before the race with what Joe Gibbs Racing said was a sinus infection that affected his vision. But Earnhardt wondered aloud why there has been no official NASCAR statement or further explanation from Hamlin on what happened. No further updates were expected from NASCAR or Joe Gibbs Racing on Tuesday and Hamlin has not been officially cleared for this weekend's race at Martinsville Speedway. Earnhardt said there were questions because he'd never heard of a driver being pulled from the race shortly before the start after not being cleared to race by NASCAR. "I'm worried the perception is bad for NASCAR and the perception is bad for Denny," Earnhardt said Tuesday. "... If Denny didn't race because his vision is blurred and he had a sinus infection, NASCAR should put out a release and say, 'This is the timeline of the events and this is why we made this choice and this is the protocol for going forward.' That answers everybody's questions. Don't you have questions? I have questions. We shouldn't have questions. We should all feel pretty comfortable with what happened." Hamlin is expected to see doctors in Charlotte this week. He cannot race until he is cleared by a NASCAR-approved doctor. If he does not qualify Friday at Martinsville or race on Sunday, he would need another medical exemption from NASCAR in order to remain eligible for the Chase for the Sprint Cup

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

BMB5150 posted:

Hell even Earnhardt is jumping on the wagon of what the gently caress is going on?

Yeah, when I read that I got the feeling he really wasn't questioning the aspect of NASCAR's protocol.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Junyer just called you out, Denny Hamlin

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I didn't really read that as calling out Denny per-se... NASCAR gave him a chase exemption and he got pulled right before the race for vague symptoms, I think everyone just wants to know whats going on. Denny supposedly has a statement coming out today, so we shall see.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I was wondering more if Denny just got all Buddy Bretherton about racing at Fontana again after that crash last year. :shrug:

EDIT: Pardon me, Buddy - my Days of Thunder references are slipping.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Hamlin has been cleared to race at Martinsville.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gibbs released the timeline of events and everything too. Apparently it wasnt the sickness that was causing the blurry vision, he actually had a piece of metal in his eye they found at the hospital:

Jayski posted:

Hamlin cleared to return at Martinsville: Joe Gibbs Racing driver #11-Denny Hamlin will race this weekend at Martinsville Speedway after NASCAR received official confirmation from his doctors that he has been medically cleared to return to regular racing activities. Hamlin first visited the infield care center at Auto Club Speedway Saturday night bothered with an irritation in his eye. He returned to the infield care center again on Sunday morning because his condition had worsened. It was at this time that it was determined by the medical team onsite that he would not be allowed to race due to a sinus infection that was impacting his vision. The doctors at the infield care center referred him to the local hospital for further evaluation. During the evaluation at the hospital a small piece of metal was also found to be in Hamlin's eye. Doctors were able to remove the sliver of metal and Hamlin felt immediate improvement to his condition. A CT Scan did not find any other complications and thus it is believed that the metal was actually the source of Hamlin's vision issues. He was released from the hospital Sunday afternoon and was given the doctor's approval to fly home. Hamlin was then evaluated by a doctor in the Charlotte area on Monday and was sent home to rest. He was instructed to return Wednesday for a follow-up examination. Following today's examination, his doctors provided the necessary approval for Hamlin to resume all racing activity without restriction. NASCAR has received official confirmation from his doctors clearing him to resume racing this weekend at Martinsville Speedway.(Joe Gibbs Racing)(3-26-2014)

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Oh man, that's a relief. I remember Junior had a problem like that at Atlanta once, and he had to run the last few laps with vision in just one eye.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Denny's statement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsoAfiqOmdA

(old punk videos are so so great)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Good call on the drugs though, guys :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Facebook is awry with fake gay jeff Gordon news posts lately.

• Locked thread