Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Twitter's lighting up with pics and vids of Russian MBTs and heavy equipment moving under their own power, some of it supposedly right at the Russia / Ukraine / Belarus border, not far from Kiev. Previously the heavy stuff was being moved around by train. Not sure how big a deal this is just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Twitter's lighting up with pics and vids of Russian MBTs and heavy equipment moving under their own power, some of it supposedly right at the Russia / Ukraine / Belarus border, not far from Kiev. Previously the heavy stuff was being moved around by train. Not sure how big a deal this is just yet.

If Putin decides to invade Western Ukraine in spite of the fact that the US/EU response will be to collapse Russia's economy and steal all of his friends' money, I have to wonder how secure his place at the top really is.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71TwvJAJTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxyEmEQmWBg

Whole lotta petrol-burning for something

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Courthouse posted:

BTW, does the Budapest Memorandum actually have any guarantees? People keep waving it around, but I don't actually see it saying anyone has to actually do something about any non-nuclear breaches. Is there something I'm missing, or is this just a nice piece of paper to wave at the Russians?

nope, but apparently ukraine thought it did and demolished their military cause they thought the us/uk would totally bail them out if they got invaded

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Putin decides to invade Western Ukraine in spite of the fact that the US/EU response will be to collapse Russia's economy and steal all of his friends' money, I have to wonder how secure his place at the top really is.

I'm highly skeptical of the deterrent value of sanctions given how well they've worked elsewhere.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mortabis posted:

I'm highly skeptical of the deterrent value of sanctions given how well they've worked elsewhere.

So am I, but I could also see how sanctioning a first-world (second?) country could be more effective than sanctioning say, North Korea. You can't effectively sanction nothing, after all, whereas, if they have the proper motivation, the west could still do significant economic damage to Russia.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

nope, but apparently ukraine thought it did and demolished their military cause they thought the us/uk would totally bail them out if they got invaded

You really think a few more helicopters or tanks would have done anything to stop Putin?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I could also see how sanctioning a first-world (second?) country could be more effective

Second, and I think that's part of the problem, to be trite they've been conditioned to find solidarity in misery, and to wholeheartedly blame the West for problems in no small part due to their own leaders.

I'm sure that article in Pravda on crushing sanctions will look lovely next to the cover story of taking back the birthplace of Rus from Fascist homosexuals

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

One thing I'm wondering about is the demographics of Ukraine's military. The rate of defections from the Navy seems to indicate that possibly most of their soldiers* come from Russian areas. Ukraine could have a situation going on where the westerners go to the EU to work and the easterners stay and some join the military.

*CORRECTION:

Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen! Proper Nouns for Proper Heroes!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Second, and I think that's part of the problem, to be trite they've been conditioned to find solidarity in misery, and to wholeheartedly blame the West for problems in no small part due to their own leaders.

Not the rich people who run Russia though. Just like how blocking Hennessy to North Korea probably matters more than blocking food.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 26, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Best Friends posted:

One thing I'm wondering about is the demographics of Ukraine's military. The rate of defections from the Navy seems to indicate that possibly most of their soldiers* come from Russian areas.

Sailors and their families live near the Navy bases they're assigned to, and now those areas are Russia. So their choice was 'defecting', or being dumped on a Zodiac, dropped ashore, and then getting directly loaded on a truck and 'evacuated' out of Crimea, potentially never seeing their homes or families again. That doesn't mean the 'defectors' see themselves as Russian. When I get home I'll see if I can find some of the interviews, it's pretty sad.

I also wouldn't assume there's going to be much any civilian traffic between the 'Ukrainian' and 'Russian' parts, at least in the short term.

quote:

Not the rich people who run Russia though. Just like how blocking Hennessy to North Korea probably matters more than blocking food.

Just like all the high-up Norks, all the high-up Rus likely have a dozen different passports from a dozen different countries with a dozen unlinked names. I'm sure Jong Un is inconvenienced heavily by the Hennessey embargo when he's clubbing in Tokyo. Whether This Is The Time The World Really Means It with the sanctions remains to be seen.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
On a lighter note, someone called this the other day

http://beregrus.ru/?p=2282

quote:

The editor of Beregus.ru, a portal that has promoted attention to the Russian Far East and highlighted the opportunities and dangers Russia faces there and along the Pacific littoral, notes today that all talk about "the returning of Alaska to Russia"began "as a simple means of information war," but "now people are talking about this as a real [possibility]."

"Russia needs Alaska," the editor says, and it also needs "the part of North America settled by Russians," an area that extends down to the middle of what is today the US state of California. But it is not just Russia which needs these areas, he adds; so too does the indigenous population of this enormous area.

"What have the Anglo-Saxons done for the native population?" the editor asks rhetorically. They have 'barbarously destroyed" it in order to steal the wealth of these people and enrich themselves. Despite that, the Americans "even today shout about the rights of numerically small indigenous peoples!"

"Russians today live in Alaska and in California,"he continues. And these are "not emigrants of a new wave but the descendants of their glorious ancestors" who came and developed this coast. These people are trying to preserve their Orthodox faith and their Russian culture."

Better brush up your skills blasting invisible ninjas with laser pistols, because war, war never changes

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 26, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
That sound you heard was ALCOM and 11th AF popping the world's biggest boner.

Time to dust off those OPLANs last updated in 1989!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Heh. Dude should probably stop washing down his borscht with sterno.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
Barroso has announced the US and EU are hatching plans for reducing European dependence on Russian fossil fuels, G7 energy ministers to meet next week.

So... drill baby drill? Presuming they aren't talking more solar panels I take it we are looking at more fraking? Just how long term would reducing reliance on Russian gas be, taking into account the EU economic situation?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Better brush up your skills blasting invisible ninjas with laser pistols, because war, war never changes

:what: this is some of the dumbest "and then the people will rise up" kind of poo poo ive ever read

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

That sound you heard was ALCOM and 11th AF popping the world's biggest boner.

Time to dust off those OPLANs last updated in 1989!

I know your joking about this, but the brain drain after the Soviet Union collapsed was significant. Not to mention most "Soviet Experts" are probably now dead or senile. The US is also historically and remarkably terrible at understanding a countrys culture and language. Its hard for the United States to think how someone else does. During the cold war our intelligence community was tasked with a two part question. "What does Russia want, and how far will they go to get it?" We failed to answer this question in any, way, shape or form, and this is with the specter of nuclear war unifying the military and intelligence community toward a common, existential threat. We now have to answer that question again, and given our lack of forewarning of Russian troop movements and all of the implications of that , I'm not exactly reassured. I'm almost certain given our historical track record we have zero humint on this, and if the Russians have figured out a way to circumvent parts of our sigint/masint/cybint aparati (apparatuses?) due to Snowden, we're probably throwin darts in the dark, or waiting for satellite flyovers. Cause we can't deploy drones against a near-peer.

I'm pretty sure all of our analysts and policy makers are sitting around a table going:

"I don't loving know man, I have no idea, call up Joe."

"Joes dead/senile (or we gave him a pink slip and took his career out back and shot it in the early 90's)"

"Well, lets grab all the files from '88/'89 maybe we'll find something"

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 27, 2014

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I know your joking about this, but the brain drain after the Soviet Union collapsed was significant.

Half the old soviet block is in NATO these days. Surely at least the Baltic states has some level of humint there? Can't we ask them?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Snowdens Secret posted:

Tell me more, I'm so close. :awesome:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSQAZEp3PA

This is relevant to what is going to be happening all over the world if poo poo ever got real.

It's also good that random blogger #23862 doesn't write Russia's foreign policy, because an invasion of the US would have no endgame other than the total nuclear annihilation of 90% of the planet, followed by the swift freezing of the remaining 10%.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 27, 2014

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSQAZEp3PA

This is relevant to what is going to be happening all over the world if poo poo ever got real.

It's also good that random blogger #23862 doesn't write Russia's foreign policy, because an invasion of the US would have no endgame other than the total nuclear annihilation of 90% of the planet, followed by the swift freezing of the remaining 10%.
Riding a nuke into the ground like Slim Pickens is my beautiful death. That's going out with a bang.

I think at most we would see Ukraine vs Russia and the Russians squashing them in a few weeks like the Russo-Georgian war. NATO sure as gently caress won't start WW3 with Russia over a country that's not in their little club.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im personally waiting for the crimean tatar uprising :munch:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We should be inciting a Czarist uprising. Bring back the White Army to stomp the proles under the silk shoe of the monarchy.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
look man, im ready for a new round of conscript beheading videos, this time in glorious hd. all the grainy vids from chechnya are old hat now

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i'm too densensitized to that, bring out the a-game rape of nanking extreme european edition: the rapening poo poo and you got a deal

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

You really think a few more helicopters or tanks would have done anything to stop Putin?

what? ukraine let their military decay into basically nothing from a pretty sizeable one because they interpreted the budapest memorandum to mean that the us/uk would step in and help them fight off an invasion if it happened

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Barroso has announced the US and EU are hatching plans for reducing European dependence on Russian fossil fuels, G7 energy ministers to meet next week.

So... drill baby drill? Presuming they aren't talking more solar panels I take it we are looking at more fraking? Just how long term would reducing reliance on Russian gas be, taking into account the EU economic situation?

Right now it looks like at most it's an agreement to potentially purchase North American LNG, which would be years out. It wouldn't surprise me it follows the more normal Euro tack of attacking demand instead of supply, perhaps with California-style rolling brownouts when gas gets low. I will be pleasantly surprised if an energy policy comes out of EU that breaks the trend of being complete loving nonsense.

Also it looks like with the takeover of Crimea, Russia has siezed some of Ukraine's most elite and unique special forces.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So when do we get to see badass Cossacks with awesome hats and staches riding into battle against tanks?

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Godholio posted:

So when do we get to see badass Cossacks with awesome hats and staches riding into battle against tanks?

It seems they are primarily deployed against pastel punk bands.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/feb/19/pussy-riot-attacked-whips-cossack-milita-sochi-winter-olympics

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Cossacks are Putin's bully-boys. I remember he deployed them to Voronezh after some bombs went off. Big assholes with clubs and dogs smacking down anything bearded or brown.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cossacks are Putin's bully-boys. I remember he deployed them to Voronezh after some bombs went off. Big assholes with clubs and dogs smacking down anything bearded or brown.

So wait, you're tellin me we need Cossacks in Austin and San Francisco?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

what? ukraine let their military decay into basically nothing from a pretty sizeable one because they interpreted the budapest memorandum to mean that the us/uk would step in and help them fight off an invasion if it happened

Or maybe instead of it being because Ukraine is foolish and naive it is because they are poor as poo poo with weak civil institutions? Thus, they don't have enough money for a large military and all the kickbacks.

Besides, even if they somehow kept their Soviet Union era force sizes, do you think they would have been able to stop what the Russians did (which remember, occurred right after revolution in Ukraine)? Or is your argument that Yanukovych would have been able to maintain power with a larger military more reliant on Russia (since building your own stuff costs a lot more than buying Russian made goods)?

Booblord Zagats posted:

So wait, you're tellin me we need Cossacks in Austin and San Francisco?

Obviously.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 27, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Or maybe instead of it being because Ukraine is foolish and naive it is because they are poor as poo poo with weak civil institutions? Thus, they don't have enough money for a large military and all the kickbacks.

Besides, even if they somehow kept their Soviet Union era force sizes, do you think they would have been able to stop what the Russians did (which remember, occurred right after revolution in Ukraine)? Or is your argument that Yanukovych would have been able to maintain power with a larger military more reliant on Russia (since building your own stuff costs a lot more than buying Russian made goods)?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but Russia's military is also a pale shadow of its Cold War prime. And Ukraine got a disproportionate share of Soviet armor and shipbuilding industry, and a good chunk of aerospace.

There's natural resource money there, but it was going to opiates for the populace and opulence for government high-ups instead of actual long-term improvements - but that's a problem hardly unique to Ukraine. At least all over EU people are waking up to what it means when paying people to be unproductive eats up all the funding for defense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but Russia's military is also a pale shadow of its Cold War prime. And Ukraine got a disproportionate share of Soviet armor and shipbuilding industry, and a good chunk of aerospace.

There's natural resource money there, but it was going to opiates for the populace and opulence for government high-ups instead of actual long-term improvements - but that's a problem hardly unique to Ukraine. At least all over EU people are waking up to what it means when paying people to be unproductive eats up all the funding for defense.

I agree completely that this is a wake up call across Europe, I just think Ukraine probably has a few more legitimate excuses than EU nations that can afford a military. Which is a larger part of the problem as the EU tries to act jointly as a superpower but individually nations don't want the costs associated with the title.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/26/u-s-intel-assessement-greater-likelihood-russia-will-enter-eastern-ukraine/

quote:

A new classified intelligence assessment concludes it is more likely than previously thought that Russian forces will enter eastern Ukraine, CNN has learned.
“This has shifted our thinking that the likelihood of a further Russian incursion is more probable than it was previously thought to be,” one official said.
U.S. military and intelligence officials have briefed Congress on the assessment.

As a result, Republican members of the House Armed Services Committee late Wednesday sent a classified letter to the White House expressing concern about unfolding developments.

An unclassified version obtained by CNN said committee members feel “urgency and alarm, based on new information in the committee’s possession.”

The committee said there was “deep apprehension that Moscow may invade eastern and southern Ukraine, pressing west to Transdniestria and also seek land grabs in the Baltics.”

As usual, the who, what and why of this getting sent to the press is as interesting as the content itself

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Snowdens Secret posted:

seek[ing] land grabs in the Baltics.

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k225_q1L9l4

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/roland-flamini/putins-landgrab-alarms-baltics

quote:

The English-language Baltic Timesreported that the Lithuanian intelligence service, the VSD, has warned that its Russian counterpart and other Russian security services “were acting most aggressively against Lithuania.”

In Latvia, the daily paper Neatkariga quotes the country’s security police chief as saying Russia has intensified its “soft power” efforts “through information campaigns, as well as through cultural, educational, and other similar instruments,” the paper said.

Estonia’s defense minister, Urmas Reinsalu, has called on more Estonian citizens to join the Estonian Defense League (Estonia’s version of the US National Guard). He told Estonian Public Broadcasting, “The Ukrainian crisis shows that the idea that defending the state is the problem of professional military only is outdated.”

Estonia’s national defense plan calls for membership of the Defense League to be expanded to 30,000 by 2022, more than double the current 14,000. An informal online poll conducted by the daily Postimees last weekend yielded more than 8,000 responses, with 32 percent saying they would seriously consider joining, 14 percent saying they might do so in the future, and 36 percent saying they would not. Twelve percent said they were already members. 

There is no shortage of advice on what the West should do next. In an editorial, the Baltic Times urged the Atlantic Alliance to “step up and offer Ukraine accelerated NATO membership,” which—it said—the Ukrainian prime minister had already requested in private meetings with NATO officials. “Ukraine is a worthy and willing candidate for NATO,” the paper said. “The NATO community needs to stand and rectify the wrongs of Yalta and Bucharest.” The latter reference is to the 2008 NATO summit in the Romanian capital in which France and Germany blocked an attempt by the Bush administration to offer fast-track membership to Georgia and Ukraine because of Putin’s objections. “Ask the Poles, the Czechs, the Hungarians, the Baltic nations, and other East European recently admitted NATO members,” the editorial continued. “They’re willing to defend Ukraine if only to experience freedom from fear themselves.”

Estonia’s president, Toomas Hendrik Ilves, called on the European Union to take a tougher stand against Moscow in defending shared values. Speaking in Brussels, Ilves said the EU should join the US in a united stand, and praised the Americans for showing more spine.

“This border change means a major loss of trust in Europe as a player and NATO ‘being back in business’ discussing Article 5. We can no longer think that there are unthinkables of a certain type—countries do get invaded,” Ilves said.

He did not, however, put forward any concrete steps for hardening the European position.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Half the old soviet block is in NATO these days. Surely at least the Baltic states has some level of humint there? Can't we ask them?

Im phone posting at work, so this is going to be quick, but speaking from a historical perspective and taking in what was just posted above me, I would be more worried about what the Russians know about us than what we know about the Russians through our ties to former Soviet satellites.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Trabisnikof posted:

I agree completely that this is a wake up call across Europe, I just think Ukraine probably has a few more legitimate excuses than EU nations that can afford a military. Which is a larger part of the problem as the EU tries to act jointly as a superpower but individually nations don't want the costs associated with the title.

Can EU nations actually afford more military spending? Many of them are even more broke than we are for a lot of the same reasons. They already have insanely high taxes (40%+ of GDP, compared to our ~25%) and are still running deficits because of generous entitlements.

I'd love to see, for instance, France raise its retirement age and put the balance into defense but last time it tried something like that people set cars on fire.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The French have long since given up needing an excuse to set cars on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mortabis posted:

Can EU nations actually afford more military spending? Many of them are even more broke than we are for a lot of the same reasons. They already have insanely high taxes (40%+ of GDP, compared to our ~25%) and are still running deficits because of generous entitlements.

I'd love to see, for instance, France raise its retirement age and put the balance into defense but last time it tried something like that people set cars on fire.

Compared to Ukraine? Definitely. Realize that combined France, UK, Germany and Italy together spend 2x as much on military spending as Russia does. But as we know well in the US, there's a difference between spending a bunch of money on a military and spending it well.

People in the old thread discussed the EU is no where near a unified military command and thus countries replicate functions and spend money redundantly. But they want the ability to act collectively as a superpower, yet they can't back up their diplomacy collectively. So I tend to give Ukraine some slack for being a poor country with weak institutions but the EU doesn't get that excuse.

• Locked thread