Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Awesome, thanks for that, exactly what I needed to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I just got my GW1 today. I'm thrilled to capture some crazy driving to post soon.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kill-9 posted:

My wife is also a 'spirited' driver in her R on occasion so we're always both paying pretty good attention to our surroundings. Especially on this fun and winding road. That intersection always seems to be an issue so we both kind of expected it. We really weren't going too fast. Limit there is 35, I was doing under 40. The wide angle always makes things look faster than they are. Kinda why they use wide angles for extreme sports. Gives a feeling of speed.

I was gaining on the slow car in front so I assume the BMW thought I was going the same speed and misjudged. Also, the Fiat is a small car. He could have just misjudged how far away we were by going off our size out of the corner of his eye. About half the cars turn up that street so he might have thought we were. My lack of expletives kind of supports that I believe it was an honest mistake. I always slow down for the hundred yards through there for this very reason. No harm, no foul.

Edit: here's the cam for $52 on Amazon. Free two day shipping with Prime. Its a more recent chipseted G1W. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just received one of these yesterday, and it does record, but the LCD screen never displays anything. Is there a trick that I'm missing for turning it on to access the setup menu and stuff, or did I just get a bad one?

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I've had my G1W for a while now but because I'm having trouble getting some A pillar trim pieces for my car I haven't used it more than a few times because otherwise I'd just have cables hanging down in front of me. I should really get my hands on the trim piece, people (trucks, mostly) have a habit of trying to merge with my car.

I was expecting to have some trouble with getting power to it but I got lucky and it plugged into the cigarette lighter of my car which was built in the late 70s. The only real issue I had with it when I had it plugged in was that I couldn't get the display to turn off, went through all the menus and pressed all the buttons but nothing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

anonumos posted:

I just got my GW1 today. I'm thrilled to capture some crazy driving to post soon.

Everyone will be a model driver for the next 2-3 weeks.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Alright so I bought a cam, what's the best way to route power?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

subx posted:

Alright so I bought a cam, what's the best way to route power?

if yours is like mine and runs on USB, you can get an adapter for your cigarette lighter/power outlet like what I've done. I also snaked a 10 foot usb cable around my dash and windshield to keep it out of sight and mind.

Do yourself a favor and buy the USB adapter in person from a local store. I tried getting a cheap one form amazon and got burned with a counterfeit, so I nabbed a new one from CVS: a Duracell with 2 usb ports. You can find long enough cables online, or at the goodwill if you're lucky. I picked up this for myself: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00112BA78/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

The Locator posted:

I just received one of these yesterday, and it does record, but the LCD screen never displays anything. Is there a trick that I'm missing for turning it on to access the setup menu and stuff, or did I just get a bad one?

Wish I could help. I don't know. I could try walking through my menus and give you the exact button sequence to get to 'reset to defaults'. I don't think there's a 'screen always off' option though. Mine has always started up with a green(?) welcome screen. My guess is you got a bad one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kill-9 posted:

My guess is you got a bad one.

That was what I figured, typical of my luck.

It turns on, the screen backlight comes on, but there is no text. Pushing the buttons makes beeps, and hitting the record button records stuff to the SD card, so I'm sure it actually works fine, except for the minor fact that I can't see the menu to set it up.

I'll just ask for an exchange.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ansith posted:

I was expecting to have some trouble with getting power to it but I got lucky and it plugged into the cigarette lighter of my car which was built in the late 70s. The only real issue I had with it when I had it plugged in was that I couldn't get the display to turn off, went through all the menus and pressed all the buttons but nothing.

If it's staying on even when the car is off, your lighter socket isn't switched. You'll need to tap into a switched circuit (such as the radio circuit) with either a power supply, or another socket.

It normally stays on when the car is on, though there's a setting to force it to turn off after 3 minutes (screen saver, I think?) of driving. For now, just unplug it when you're not driving; it'll stay on for 15-30 seconds before powering off.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Everyone will be a model driver for the next 2-3 weeks.

And the one time someone is truly reckless in the cameras field of view you'll find out you didn't turn the camera on :(.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Just bought a G1W and 64gb card, can't wait to have 2-3 weeks of people being good drivers around me.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Caught a little one today. Early morning drive out to the range to do an IDPA match. As I was passing this Camry I was watching him in his mirror expecting him to do something stupid. Right as I reached his blind spot, he did. A no-look lane change right into the space I was also trying to occupy. I know he could have seen me, if he'd looked, as I was looking at him in his mirror. Luckily, the truck in the left lane had cleared it so I had somewhere to go. No profanities, just a crappy song on SiriusXM. I'm losing my touch, I blame the early hour and lack of caffeine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n19AxGvLGsk

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Kill-9 posted:

A no-look lane change right into the space I was also trying to occupy.

And THAT'S the exact reason to have a dashcam. What proof would there have been otherwise if he had said you pulled in to his lane?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

All of that said... I turned off the audio on mine.

The dashcam taught me that I'm constantly talking, cussing, shouting, screaming at other drivers. Glancing through videos from it made me realize just how much I babble while driving. And how much I'm cussing out other drivers. I really consider myself a pretty calm driver (to the point that people honk at me for slowing down for a red light more than 15 ft away), but my constant :words: makes it seem otherwise.

It honestly seems kind of like cheap insurance to keep the audio off, at least for me, in case I shout out something like "YOU loving IDIOT WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU CROSSING 3 LANES IN 10 FEET WITH A F-350 PULLING 2 HORSE TRAILERS WITH 30 HORSES YOU loving IDIOT WHY DIDN'T YOUR MOM DO A COAT HANGER ABORTION" (it kind of seems like I might get myself a talking to by homeland security if I kept audio on).

Outside of that, from the few video clips I've uploaded with sound, it makes me too self-conscious of my broken teeth (and thus, lisp).

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

All of that said... I turned off the audio on mine.

I can always remove the sound in post-prod if I want to. I can't put it back in.

I want to be able to have the sound if it comes to a claim. I know the following video makes an airtight case in this one but the audio of him saying "I'm sorry. It's my fault" is the final nail in the coffin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILUlAGgZcg

I wished I'd had audio a few years ago while on the way to a Scout camp with a bunch of boys in my beat up Range Rover. I crested a hill at around 55MPH in the dead of night. There were about 4-6 deer standing right in the middle of the road. I had enough time to say "This is going to suck" before plowing into the middle of the group. Somehow every single one of those deer jumped to the side or straight up and I missed them all by inches. That incident is legend in my kid's Scout troop now, 5 or 6 years later. The "This is going to suck" story is repeated at every campout and passed on to new Scouts. Of course, now it was a dozen 10-point bucks, 8 mooose, and an elephant that I dodged but the story remains.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

It honestly seems kind of like cheap insurance to keep the audio off, at least for me, in case I shout out something like "YOU loving IDIOT WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU CROSSING 3 LANES IN 10 FEET WITH A F-350 PULLING 2 HORSE TRAILERS WITH 30 HORSES YOU loving IDIOT WHY DIDN'T YOUR MOM DO A COAT HANGER ABORTION" (it kind of seems like I might get myself a talking to by homeland security if I kept audio on).

I can just see one of these videos go to court.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I leave the audio on because the camera won't get license plates but I can always read them out loud.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

oxbrain posted:

I leave the audio on because the camera won't get license plates but I can always read them out loud.

drat, that's a good loving idea.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Kill-9 posted:

I wished I'd had audio a few years ago while on the way to a Scout camp with a bunch of boys in my beat up Range Rover. I crested a hill at around 55MPH in the dead of night. There were about 4-6 deer standing right in the middle of the road. I had enough time to say "This is going to suck" before plowing into the middle of the group. Somehow every single one of those deer jumped to the side or straight up and I missed them all by inches. That incident is legend in my kid's Scout troop now, 5 or 6 years later. The "This is going to suck" story is repeated at every campout and passed on to new Scouts. Of course, now it was a dozen 10-point bucks, 8 mooose, and an elephant that I dodged but the story remains.

I think I would have shouted something different, so props to you for good word selection there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any kind of solution to mount an external rear-view camera and have it on a high quality display where a rear view mirror would be?

I'm getting a smart car convertible but it has a very bad blind spot looking backwards because of how high the seats are.

If there were a way to say, mount a 7 inch tablet as a mirror, but separate it's camera and solder on a long cable so it could be roof mounted, something like that. I think I've seen a car that had it as an OEM, but I'd love something aftermarket.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can connect a usb webcam to an android tablet. Not sure if the resolution or update rate would be good enough to act as a mirror though.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any kind of solution to mount an external rear-view camera and have it on a high quality display where a rear view mirror would be?

There are quite a few backup cameras like this one on Amazon. Most mount on your license plate frame and start around $15. There are other styles that you could mount higher up.

For the display this doesn't look bad for $30. The "mirror" is just the reflective plastic, but if your view is that horrible anyway that shouldn't be be a major issue. There are others that replace your rearview mirror but just have a small screen embedded into one side or the other.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I caught some fairly standard idiocy, but this is more fun.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

oxbrain posted:

You can connect a usb webcam to an android tablet. Not sure if the resolution or update rate would be good enough to act as a mirror though.

I spent all day researching, but it looks like the answer is no, the update rate for webcam-to-android is pretty awful.

What I might do since I'm pretty handy with electronics, is to see if I can pop the rear camera out of a smartphone and use some shielded wiring to extend it all the way to the inside of the rear window. Then I can just clip the smartphone alongside the actual rearview mirror.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It's been a bit over a week full of people driving surprisingly well in intermittently snowy conditions, but yesterday my G1W proved its value. A coworker and I had taken his car out to do a site survey at the other end of the state, and since he had been contemplating a dashcam himself I brought mine along. On the return trip we got up behind a truck that was in the middle of a double pass and then this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F5vkYSaibk

Our destination was just a few miles away, so I made note of the plate and we got past as soon as the truck moved over, but there was no damage at all. Not even a rubbed off rubber streak, which surprised me after how hard it was to clean my car when I hit a rubber floor mat that was blowing around the highway.

I'm pretty sure my coworker will be buying one soon.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had an idea the other day, perhaps someone with experience with the things could tell me if it would work.

the biggest let down of these cameras is the often poor battery life which rules out leaving them on in the car unattended while its parked.

Could you plug it in to one of those USB based power banks, which is in turn plugged into the 12V accessory port in the car?

That way, the power bank is charging when the car is on, but is providing power to keep the camera running when the car is off. depending on the size you'd presumably get a few good hours of coverage?

I guess it depends on the power bank - it needs to be able to be charged while supplying power. Does anyone have one and can comment on that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The whole point of them is that they record while driving.

If you need one that stays on, tap into a constant 12V source. Many cars have lighters/sockets that are always on - my car has 2 sockets; one is always on, one is only on when the car is running. Worst case, tap the radio backup wire.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You're going to hit a problem with memory.

My 32GB card gives 8 hours of recording: ideal for driving as it gives me 2-3 days stored on the card at any time. If you park your car in the evening and it gets hit, by next morning you'll probably find the accident has been overwritten.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yes, I know you can do that, but I dont have that available in my car and dont really want to risk being unable to start the car.

The reason I got one was for both - my car has been hit and run in the past, and also as a tool in case of an accident.

Id like to be able to run the camera and GPS/phone charger as well as the camera sometimes too, and this would facilitate that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

You're going to hit a problem with memory.

My 32GB card gives 8 hours of recording: ideal for driving as it gives me 2-3 days stored on the card at any time. If you park your car in the evening and it gets hit, by next morning you'll probably find the accident has been overwritten.

I thought some of the models had shock sensors in them that mark recordings as non-over writeable when triggered?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I thought some of the models had shock sensors in them that mark recordings as non-over writeable when triggered?

Correct. The G1W has this feature.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Finally got my G1W hooked up, hated the suction cup thingy so I just ran a bolt through the thing that holds the rear view mirror on, hacked the mount off just above the ball and bolted it on. Stole 12V from the cig lighter, ran it up through the dash and into a horrific self made 5v adaptor/voltage readout/multi cig adapter thing in the glovebox, then ran another cable from there behind the dash, and up round inside the windscreen trim and dropped it out just above the mirror, the only bits you can see are the slight bit of cable and the remnants of the mount.

Pretty happy with the quality, but I'm going to have to wire it onto a different circuit eventually because my cig lighter circuit is always on and I get paranoid about running my battery low. That, and I might add a bit of araldite to firm up the joint, I had to turn off the shock sensor because it was protecting everything.

And of course, since I installed, very little in the way of bad driving. Worth the cost just for that.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 27, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Laserface posted:

I guess it depends on the power bank - it needs to be able to be charged while supplying power. Does anyone have one and can comment on that?

I had similar plans, so first thing I did for a test was to stick the card in, hook up a 5400mAh USB battery and leave it running. Filled the 32GB card before the battery died.

Now, you could use a smaller battery (5400mAh will charge my galaxy S3 twice with some left over), or a larger card (some 64GB cards apparently work on some G1's), or rely on the G sensor to keep stuff you want (I dunno, give the camera a smack if you want to keep a recording) but most of the batteries I have used require you to press something to get it to start giving a charge occasionally, so you would have to have that accessible.

From my tests in the house, it charges during use while still providing power to the camera, then when the main power was off, the camera will keep running happily off the USB battery until that died, then off the camera internal till that goes (theres a menu option for how long but the battery is poo poo and won't last long). Might try and snag the smallest USB battery I can find to test more.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

The whole point of them is that they record while driving.

If you need one that stays on, tap into a constant 12V source. Many cars have lighters/sockets that are always on - my car has 2 sockets; one is always on, one is only on when the car is running. Worst case, tap the radio backup wire.

The problem with that is you leave it parked too long and you come out to a dead battery. Also, some of the camera's I have looked at have parking mode that will tag a video file if it senses a shock. Blackvue makes a box that you can set a few different ways to prevent full battery drain especially for their cameras.

Has anyone bought one of the LUKAS LK-7900 ACE dashcams? Its more expensive than the G1W, but it is much more compact which I would prefer.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I want to pick up the G1W and I have a question about power. My Tacoma has the backup cam display in the rear view mirror. Has anyone picked up power from this type of mirror for their cam?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

bung posted:

I want to pick up the G1W and I have a question about power. My Tacoma has the backup cam display in the rear view mirror. Has anyone picked up power from this type of mirror for their cam?

A lot of rear view cameras get powered on from reverse lights near the camera itself (saves running power all the way back to the dash, provides easy automation), so it comes on when you hit reverse- I would grab a multimeter and start loving around to find out.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I hardwired my G1W to a switched fuse and had to remove it because my ground was bad and the thing wasn't shutting off when the car was. So instead of taking the easy route and finding a better ground, I decided I would solder a rectifier on it and I have yet to test this configuration, wish me luck.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

bung posted:

I used the wiring on one of these to set up an aftermarket rear view cam on one at work with a service body on it. I believe there's a key-on power, ground, and reverse power going to it. I couldn't tell you off hand what wires they are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I haven't had any luck getting my G1W to work properly yet. Ordered off of Amazon about a week ago, sold by E-PRANCE and fulfilled by Amazon. Got a 64gb Sandisk Class 10 card to go with it, formatted to FAT32. It says it is running firmware 20130922 v0.01.mm3 and the files it records are in .MOV format, so I don't think it is a counterfeit one.

I have it mounted up by my rearview mirror, with the USB charging adapter that was included with the camera running up through the dash and a-pillar. It turns on just fine when I start the car, charging icon flashes on the screen to show it is getting power. But it would only record video for a little under 2 minutes then shut off. If I press the power button it will stay on for another 30-60 seconds of recording, then power off again. I went through all of the menus and have tried different settings, made sure auto power off, delayed shutdown, and motion sensor are disabled. I've tried 2min, 3min, and 5min looping. Even turned off the screen protector so the LCD should be on so long as it is recording, this makes it easier to tell when it shuts down.

Read up on the GXW Forums and it seems that it doesn't like class 10 memory cards, and really hates sandisk cards. I tried using an old 16gb class 4 sandisk but it didn't change anything. The longest single video segment it was recorded was 1:57, regardless of settings. I ordered a 32gb transcend class 4 card that should get here this week and I'm hoping that fixes it. If that doesn't work I think the next step will be returning it.

edit: Just tried a 32gb class 4 sandisk, no change. If it isn't the transcend vs sandisk thing it has to be the camera itself.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2014