Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Cyborg
Dec 29, 2008
I lost interest in Buffy season 9 about halfway through, but Season 10 looks pretty cool. Can I get a quick summary of what happens at the end of Season 9 so I can fully know what's going on in Season 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke of Flies
Jul 2, 2007

I croaked "Get Out"
Then I stood, and croaked "GET OUT"

Or... get in..
Soiled Meat
I hope this is a cool place to ask about tracking down a comic whose title I can't recall. :ohdear:

Basically, it was a one-shot graphic novel about a guy (a writer?) who somehow travels back to his childhood make-believe world and some manner of war has broken out there. All these goofy animal people are in rebellion of some evil tyrant that's appeared and is trying to take over the guy's personal, imaginary Narnia with a lot of violence and bloodshed. In the end, it turns out the tyrant was actually an evil twin of his? A twin he absorbed in utero? It all was kind of demented and the book belonged to my boss at the time, so I read it once and have since lost any memory of what the title or author was and no amount of googling turns out anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sounds a lot like Joe the Barbarian, except that's about a kid who's hallucinating. And I never finished the story, but that ending sounds a bit much for it (though the author did do that twin part in New X-Men).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_the_Barbarian

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 25, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It also sounds like an arc of Sandman (with the Cuckoo) and Stephen King's The Dark Half, but not quite for both.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
With a lot of Return to Oz mixed in.

Duke of Flies
Jul 2, 2007

I croaked "Get Out"

Or... get in..
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I thought of the Cuckoo at first too, wondering if I was just misremembering the storyline, but I also have very vivid memories of a part where the evil twin is proving he's been inside the guy this whole time by spilling nasty secrets about him, like how getting hugged by his aunt turned him on as a kid or how he slept with a girl in college who might have been a little TOO drunk to be having sex. The whole thing was kind of a hosed up affair that left me a little grossed out, but I want to find it again just to know what it was. I also remember it because I read Rice Boy online as a palate cleaner right afterwards.

Maybe I'll ask other coworkers at that job if they read it too (it was a game studio art department, so we had a ton of art books and weird comics floating around for references/inspiration and I guess that was one the boss brought in) so I can make sure it wasn't some fever dream I had at work. :psyduck:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Duke of Flies posted:

I hope this is a cool place to ask about tracking down a comic whose title I can't recall. :ohdear:

Basically, it was a one-shot graphic novel about a guy (a writer?) who somehow travels back to his childhood make-believe world and some manner of war has broken out there. All these goofy animal people are in rebellion of some evil tyrant that's appeared and is trying to take over the guy's personal, imaginary Narnia with a lot of violence and bloodshed. In the end, it turns out the tyrant was actually an evil twin of his? A twin he absorbed in utero? It all was kind of demented and the book belonged to my boss at the time, so I read it once and have since lost any memory of what the title or author was and no amount of googling turns out anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Pretty sure this is 'Kingdom of the Wicked', my old comic store owner was nuts for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Wicked

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 25, 2014

Duke of Flies
Jul 2, 2007

I croaked "Get Out"

Or... get in..
Soiled Meat
HOLY poo poo THAT'S IT! You found it! Jesus, thank you so much. I was increasingly worried I imagined the whole thing. :tinfoil: You are the best, goons are the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone tell me if Geoff Johns's JSA was ever the best-selling overall series during its run?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Metal Loaf posted:

Can anyone tell me if Geoff Johns's JSA was ever the best-selling overall series during its run?
Not sure what you mean, but in almost any possible scenario the answer is no.

JSA #1 came out in June 1999 and was #13 on the sales charts with 69,000 copies sold. That was pre-Johns. Johns came on with JSA #5 which was 26th on the charts with 50,000 copies.

A year later it had dropped to 38th with ~40,000 copies sold (JSA #17 October 2000)
It started picking up ground so that it was 35th with 45,000 copies (JSA #29 October 2001)
October 2002: JSA #41 = 31st, 45,000 copies
October 2003: JSA #53 = 30th, 43,000 copies
October 2004: JSA #66 = 40th, 41,000 copies
Septebmer 2005: JSA #77 = 39th, 53,000 copies (last issue of Johns's run)

It's impressive that the book maintained that sort of audience (and spiked towards the end, but that was probably because it was tying into Infinite Crisis) but it never came anywhere near #1 best selling book, either overall or just for DC.

The closest it probably came was with the relaunch as Justice Society of America #1 in 12/2006, where 103,000 copies was enough to get #6, ahead of every DC book except two issues of Justice League of America.

A year later it was still selling around 90,000 copies, by 2008 it was around 70,000 copies, and bottomed out around the lower 60s until Johns's last issue spiked up to 81,000 and got into the Top 10 one more time.

This is better than any Justice Society book has done in the past twenty five years, but it was never a #1 selling book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ought to have mentioned, I asked because I was checking out the omnibus on Amazon and the product description claims it was number-one when Johns was writing it, and that didn't strike me as being particularly likely.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Metal Loaf posted:

I ought to have mentioned, I asked because I was checking out the omnibus on Amazon and the product description claims it was number-one when Johns was writing it, and that didn't strike me as being particularly likely.
Well, like Edge said, it's the best-selling JSA run in 25 years. Maybe that's what they meant.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Metal Loaf posted:

Amazon posted:

Geoff Johns is an award-winning writer and one of the most popular contemporary comic book writers today. Johns is the author of The New York Times bestselling graphic novels Aquaman: The Trench, Blackest Night, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War, Justice League: Origin, Superman: Brainiac and Batman: Earth One which hit #1 on the bestseller list. He is also known for transforming Green Lantern into one of the most critically and commercially successful franchises in comics.

They do have it up for presale for 53% off, which is a good deal. It is a really good run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I made a mistake; it's the page for volume two on the UK site.

amazon.co.uk posted:

Known for his groundbreaking work on Green Lantern, over a decade ago Geoff Johns brought Justice Society of America characters rooted in the Golden Age of comics back to the forefront of comics. Mixing younger, edgier characters with the elder statesmen of superheroes, Johns brought the JSA back to the forefront of the comics in what became the industry's best-selling comic series. Collected here is the second and concluding volume on Johns' now-legendary run on the original JSA.

Collected here are JSA #26-81.

Looks like they're leaving out the Hawkman crossovers, and probably a bunch of other stuff as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they amended the contents closer to the release date like they did with the first one.

I've actually pre-ordered vol. 1 from SpeedyHen, because it's only £48 there while it's £95 on Amazon.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Volume 2 is up for pre sale before 1 is even released? Strange. I see what you mean about "bestselling" though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How was Johns' JSA run? Is that omnibus going to be a good read?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 27, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

How was his Johns' JSA run? Is that omnibus going to be a good read?

Overall it's pretty good. It suffers from some crap art here and there but for the most part it's enjoyable. The reboot into Justice Society of America is pretty poo poo from the first issue though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Overall it's pretty good. It suffers from some crap art here and there but for the most part it's enjoyable. The reboot into Justice Society of America is pretty poo poo from the first issue though.

You gotta love family massacres. I a trying to think has Bendis ever done a mass slaughter on a John's scale?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 27, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

How was his Johns' JSA run? Is that omnibus going to be a good read?

Relatively good superhero books. If you ever found anything by Johns enjoyable then you'll probably like reading it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

You gotta love family massacres. I a trying to think has Bendis ever done a mass slaughter on a John's scale?

I don't think so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

How was Johns' JSA run? Is that omnibus going to be a good read?

I like it a lot and I'd recommend the omnibus. It was the first DC comic I was really into.

James Robinson wrote the first half dozen or so issues and I understand there's a lot of Starman influence in the series which is retained after he leaves (I've not read much Starman, but that's the comparison I often hear). One thing I've never been quite as sure about is the extent of the contribution David S. Goyer makes. Even when he's credited as co-writer it seems like an all Johns show.

bobkatt013 posted:

I guess there was Alpha Flight, but that happened off-panel.

To be honest, I'm not really sure why Johns has such a predilection for violence for a guy who's so enamoured of the Silver Age.

It seems lke something he only started doing... after Goyer left! I've answered my own question!

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I like it a lot and I'd recommend the omnibus. It was the first DC comic I was really into.

James Robinson wrote the first half dozen or so issues and I understand there's a lot of Starman influence in the series which is retained after he leaves (I've not read much Starman, but that's the comparison I often hear).

You should read Starman.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

sleepingbuddha posted:

You should read Starman.

I've seen Starman mentioned as one of the best comics ever a million times. Which run is that?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Thanks, I'll finally check it out.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 27, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

I've seen Starman mentioned as one of the best comics ever a million times. Which run is that?
The James Robinson run from the 90s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sleepingbuddha posted:

You should read Starman.

Oh, I've certainly been meaning to, but it looks like you can only get the first half of the omniboo in paperbacks and the second half in hardcover, and I'd prefer to read them all in the same format. I'm hoping DC will re-collect it in some form at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later (though I guess there's probably not much demand if they only did the first two in paperback).

It is kind of odd how it always shows on lists of the best superhero comics of all time, but with the exception of The Golden Age, the rest of James Robinson's stuff seems to provoke mixed reactions at best.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh, I've certainly been meaning to, but it looks like you can only get the first half of the omniboo in paperbacks and the second half in hardcover, and I'd prefer to read them all in the same format. I'm hoping DC will re-collect it in some form at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later (though I guess there's probably not much demand if they only did the first two in paperback).

It is kind of odd how it always shows on lists of the best superhero comics of all time, but with the exception of The Golden Age, the rest of James Robinson's stuff seems to provoke mixed reactions at best.

Catch-22 is a classic novel, but Joseph Heller's other books never had even a sliver of that popularity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the popular story is that Heller was challenged by someone who said he'd never written anything as good as Catch-22, and his response was, "Who has?"

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Okay, so a friend of mine recently discovered a Blue Lantern whose internet nickname is 'Hope Corgi' (and like Dex-Starr, might be an actual earth dog selected by a Blue Lantern ring). But I know that in the most recent Green Lantern event Lights Out, the Blue Lantern Corps was wiped out to a man. Can anyone confirm the death or survival of Hope Corgi?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looking at this http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/hope-corgi, it not having any actual panels and not remembering a dog Lantern at all, I'm guessing the internet made it up.

e: Why didn't they name it Dog Walker?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 28, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hope Corgi is not a real thing. It should be a real thing.

(pulled this off tumblr)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I think it says a lot about the current state of comics that I took a made up joke at complete face value without a second thought.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 30, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, superhero comics should be completely ridiculous so I don't see an issue with that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think it says a lot about the current state of comics that I took a make up joke at complete face value without a second thought.

Marvel has introduced two awesome dogs into their comics in the last couple of years, and due to that you should have assumed that DC would not do the same.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Marvel has introduced two awesome dogs into their comics in the last couple of years, and due to that you should have assumed that DC would not do the same.

Pizza Dog would totally be a green lantern. Motherfucker has will to spare.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We've still never gotten Dex-Starr vs Krypto.

EDIT: Wow. This hope corgi thing has a lot of fan art, and it's all pretty adorable. Throw him on the All New Legion of Super Pets with Krypto and Batcow, and we have ourselves a hit.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 28, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is Ultimate Peter coming back or is it just some anniversary issue he's appearing in soon? I keep seeing pictures of him pop up places that look new, but I'm usually too busy to or forget to investigate.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

USM 200 is going to have a tribute to his life or something. There's apparently a SHOCKING ENDING, but if Peter is getting resurrected it's not apparent from what we know about the Ultimate relaunch.
They're going to do a Spider-Men sequel if you'd like to see Miles interact with a Peter Parker.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's also going to introduce a mysterious Scarlet Spider. I doubt it'll be Peter though, possibly a clone but probably someone else entirely

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I hope Peter never comes back. He's on of my favorite characters in comics history, but I've never seen anything like it in comics. They killed the flagship character of an imprint and let a black kid take over. That's amazing.

Also Miles is the best. I love that kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The solicits for the new ongoing make it sound like Norman is coming back again.