Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

animeliker posted:

Indycar failed to capitalize on it's 80s and early 90s potential. A shame, really.

I think it was great until the split.

Slow, continuous improvement (such as what they're doing) is the way to go; hopefully the TV numbers will follow.

One of the things I noticed about F1 and Indycar TV coverage in the States (I moved here from England) was the parachute nature of it - no padding, very quick, in and out, apart from perhaps the month of May. Having an hour's pre-show really gets you in the mood for the races and qualifying, and I do miss it.

So imagine my surprise that NASCAR has all of that. Just pure numbers, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

With the lovely leadership and the attitude of the team owners, CART was destined to fail eventually even if the split never happened. It seems like everyone has learned their lesson these days (or maybe they just got old), so I'm still hopeful.

Honestly as long as IndyCar keeps breaking even, it can stay as popular as it is right now. My tickets to Fontana were $20 and I could move anywhere I wanted. I mean hell yeah!

Ok maybe a little more popular, we could use some more big name sponsors.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The tobacco ban is bullshit, this goes for every motorsport.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

When you look at the history of the sport of Indy Car Racing, it's always been about a power struggle.

The vacuum was created when Tony Hulman past away, and pushed into overdrive when most of the USAC board members died in a plane crash.

so CART was very much a thing that needed to be created. USAC was incompetent, and the CART owners knew what the gently caress they were doing. Unfortunately, the Hulman family wasn't too thrilled with the idea,and you "technically" had a split going on as far back as 1979.

It's taken this long to get one series under one roof to get everyone to agree to everything.

You look at the history of NASCAR? They've been able to keep everything very much under control and "unified". There have been talks of starting rival series, and of running "outlaw races" (bruton smith) but nothing has ever come of it.

I'll argue this though. One of the major strengths ICS has is they have people in their two most important positions that actually listen to criticism and "get it". As dumb as it sounds, Mark Miles having dinner with Robin Miller is pretty symbolic of that.

NASCAR seems unwilling to admit there's problems with the series until someone like FORD jumps up and says something. Even then it's not really fixed all that much. Keselowski was forced to clam up for example.

In terms of ovals? They'll come in due time. I really believe that. It takes money to get that to work though, on all three fronts (Track, Sponsors, and Series). But I think if you were to build up Indy back up, and continue to build on the "Triple Crown" races? They'll start to come back.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/345-latest-stories/102169-earnhardt-rahal-car-swap-unlikely
Nutshell: "Dale Earnhardt Jr. believes that conflicting engine manufacturers would be the biggest barrier to his proposed ride swap with IndyCar driver Graham Rahal."

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Bentai posted:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/345-latest-stories/102169-earnhardt-rahal-car-swap-unlikely
Nutshell: "Dale Earnhardt Jr. believes that conflicting engine manufacturers would be the biggest barrier to his proposed ride swap with IndyCar driver Graham Rahal."

NASCAR.com's translation: "Dale Jr thinks IndyCar is stupid."

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Bhester posted:

NASCAR.com's translation: "Dale Jr thinks IndyCar is stupid."

Then why was he the one to suggest it in the first place?

I stand corrected Graham was the first but how Jr keeps poking at doing it, I don't see how he thinks it's stupid. Any driver would screw around with another driver's completely different car for a goof.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 27, 2014

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

BMB5150 posted:

Then why was he the one to suggest it in the first place?

I stand corrected Graham was the first but how Jr keeps poking at doing it, I don't see how he thinks it's stupid. Any driver would screw around with another driver's completely different car for a goof.

I wasn't saying that's what Jr actually thinks. That's how NASCAR.com chose to paint the picture.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Bhester posted:

I wasn't saying that's what Jr actually thinks. That's how NASCAR.com chose to paint the picture.

It's quite a big deal, in boardroom terms; even sponsors can fuss over this sort of bullshit. A shame, because I'd like to see it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It really points to the ineptitude of Panther that they had the same engine+sponsor as Jr for years and apparently never... you know... asked.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

I don't know.

It seems like Chevy and Honda appear to get along well enough FWIW. I mean they didn't seem to raise much of an objection to KuBu running Honda in the 500.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kubu probably doesn't have a personal services contract with Chevy. Dale does. Dale can't drive any racecar that isn't a Chevy without Chevy's sign off, and they pay a lot of money for that privilege.

Hopefully Honda and Chevy can turn it into positive publicity for both of them by showing how amicable they could be for letting this happen. Make sure both drivers talk about how great the other is, put paragraphs in the press releases, etc. The problem is that Honda gains a lot more than Chevy does from all of it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'll come right out and say it, having a Triple Crown again is really loving cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Kubu probably doesn't have a personal services contract with Chevy. Dale does. Dale can't drive any racecar that isn't a Chevy without Chevy's sign off, and they pay a lot of money for that privilege.

Hopefully Honda and Chevy can turn it into positive publicity for both of them by showing how amicable they could be for letting this happen. Make sure both drivers talk about how great the other is, put paragraphs in the press releases, etc. The problem is that Honda gains a lot more than Chevy does from all of it.

Chevy looks like the no-fun league if they don't sign off, and it's smart marketing for IndyCar (which helps Chevy's presence in that series). I get having to be protective, but poo poo like that always ends up looking petty. That's one thing I wish and dream I could be in the position of changing. Ah well.

The problems with ovals right now are kind of chicken and egg. They'd help drive interest in the series (because the racing on ovals of all shapes and sizes is really awesome now) buuuuut it's hard to add more ovals without that interest, and it's not coming without...seeing how well it works. And they'll get more races (even at ISC tracks) when they can put butts in seats, but they won't put butts in seats until they spark that interest and show that the racing's good.

It just takes time to keep doing what the series is doing well now to build back trust and interest.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-sport/threat-of-lawsuit-and-shift-to-indycar-over-quieter-f1-cars/story-fnibbz73-1226866713277

quote:

Mr Walker said he expected promoters around the world to drop F1 in favour of IndyCar and similar categories to keep fans, unless the trademark squeal returned.

“We may as well go and buy an IndyCar race for $3.5m. It would be hugely louder,” he told London’s The Independent.

``It would be a drastic change to switch to IndyCar, but we cannot go on like this.”

Mr Walker this week revealed he would stand down as Australian Grand Prix boss after next year’s race, the final event on the current Victorian contract.

The State Government is currently considering a contract extension for the Melbourne Grand Prix, negotiated by Mr Walker at the request of Premier Denis Napthine.

IndyCar racing has bigger and louder engines than those now used in F1. One of its drivers is Queenslander Will Power.

uh....Holy poo poo.

Derrick, Mark. Get on the phone, and get this to happen..

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean the current IndyCar engines don't sound THAT good, haha. They don't sing like the Cossies or anything. It's just posturing.

But I would love a swing through Australia/NZ, they support IndyCar great down there and Dixon/Briscoe/Power are great draws.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

I mean the current IndyCar engines don't sound THAT good, haha. They don't sing like the Cossies or anything. It's just posturing.

But I would love a swing through Australia/NZ, they support IndyCar great down there and Dixon/Briscoe/Power are great draws.

I'd say the Indycar V6s sounds a little better than the F1 V6s but you're not going to get the screaming V8/V10s of yesteryear F1 cars from these. Maybe cheaper to hold an Indycar race rather than F1, but I don't see anything other than just yelling because they didn't think that oh smaller engine, less cylinders, oh these engines will still sound the same. :downs:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
even in my most down on the sport moments I take solace in the fact that Indycar isn't F1

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Indycar really needs to step up the promotions, especially on the internet. Having them damned to the 'others' section of sport news websites means only fans who go looking for it will find it. The racing was pretty drat good last year but the last few races scored the worst ratings of any indycar race ever. Seriously at this point I'd welcome some fraud rear end piece writers coming up with dumb narratives just to drive casual fans to watch some of the races.

This won't ever happen for a long time because Indycar seems married to the TV conglomerates but having accessible on-demand of the races after the weekend would be incredible. If something interesting happened in a race people would watch the OD vid and get prepped for next weekend.

In other news I got offered hospitality and pit pass for Long Beach but I can't be in California that weekend :negative:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

I'd say the Indycar V6s sounds a little better than the F1 V6s but you're not going to get the screaming V8/V10s of yesteryear F1 cars from these. Maybe cheaper to hold an Indycar race rather than F1, but I don't see anything other than just yelling because they didn't think that oh smaller engine, less cylinders, oh these engines will still sound the same. :downs:

I think it's also the price, too. Yes F1 has a bigger global footprint but is it extra-zero-on-the-contract big?

Even if it's the annual Australian GP Pissing Contest, at least having IndyCar brought in as the proxy is a good sign. I doubt they would've pointed in that direction five years ago, or even three.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
If F1 reduce the ERS a bit, and let the cars actually rev to 15,000 people will calm down a bit.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
This is, uh, interesting.

http://andrettitv.com/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hinch currently fastest in practice 1. :getin:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Taku 3rd fastest. Please God let him finally stop resorting to stupid heroics on the track so he can win more than 1 race this year.

And have no more Houston incidents. :smith:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://andrettitv.com/gallery/?vss=acbf5aaa-0443-4ddb-980d-15beddd64d93

You got Allen Bestwick, Leigh Diffey and Bob Varsha on TV this year.

Then you got Paul Page on the radio.

drat. :unsmith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is a pro-click.

Also, Munoz down to the low 1:03s now in P2. Hope he can keep it out of the walls because goddamn he is fun to watch.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
SurfersParadiseSurfersParadiseSURFERSPARADISE *begins convulsing on floor*

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

One car teams 1st and 2nd.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suck it, Panther.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I don't see Montoya on the top of the timesheets. Must be a timing and scoring error.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

gret posted:

I don't see Montoya on the top of the timesheets. Must be a timing and scoring error.

He old and fat.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Visor cam, gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJ5nHSwZrc

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

He old and fat.

Some eedio broke his fookin head.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I'm watching last year's St. Pete race and super mega :laffo: at JR Hildebrand running over Will Power under caution

Absolutely incredible. If I ever meet Derrick Walker I will petition for mandatory visor cams for all drivers all the time...

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 28, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mega owns

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm psyched, y'all :black101:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm psyched, y'all :black101:

Hell yeah. Qualifying is at least streamed audio on racecontrol, right?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Looks like there are reports of severe weather in the area. "Severe" in this case means, a tornado.

There was a bit of chatter online as to why the SST trucks weren't racing in their time slot (before ICS quals) so that's a good reason, although it'd be :black101: to see those guys in the rain and/or a trucknado.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSadjD0ars

Small little appetizer before the race tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Quals are gonna be at 5pm EST. Good on them for sticking it out so the fans get to watch.

• Locked thread