Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Jules Brunet
Special Adviser to the President, Private Military Contractor, Businessman, Actual Commodore, Believer in Bootstraps, Queller of More Fears

LMM will acknowledge its responsibilities under the new Militia Act, and is in fact already in compliance.

More importantly, French Naval Steel has once more shown its true strength. Let all those who would attack Ezo take note!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Thomas Blakiston

I would like to publicly thank the law enforcement agencies of Ezo for the arrest and upcoming prosecution of the shogun, my former brother-in-law, who now stands accused of murdering my wife - and his sister - Masako Blakiston. In the interest of ensuring justice, I will refrain from commenting further on the case until a verdict has been reached. Suffice it to say that the British Empire is grateful, as am I personally.

And yet I must once again bring attention to the inexplicable failure to prosecute Matsudaira Sadaaki for his ever-increasing list of crimes. Why is this man permitted to remain free - let alone keep his cabinet post! - while he engages in the most barbaric forms of villainy? Even if the claims made against his latest victims are true, and they are indeed spies, how can such vigilantism be tolerated from a minister of the government of all people? If Ezo is to be respected on the world stage, behaviour such as this from government officials cannot be tolerated. I once again call upon the government to dismiss Matsudaira Sadaaki from his post and prosecute him for his crimes!

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

I do find my fellow ministers actions to be quite odd recently and ask him to defend his actions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Matsudaira Naritami

I must protest in the strongest possible terms! The young Shogun is but a child and to be taken from his home and accused of the attempted murder of not only one of the most foremost men of the Republic but the murder of my young lords sister? Such is a step too far, and I would ask that any information to please be given to myself, so that I can learn where the truth truly lies. I would also wish to see my Shogun. He is very likely afraid and a friendly face would be of comfort to someone who is still, in many ways, a child.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 27, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro

I would like to express my deepest regret because of latest developments in the Republic. Katsu Kaishu's betrayal, while not really surprising, is a sad continuation of Otori Keisuke's plot. The fact that this man was considered a samurai is a disgrace to anyone who treats their status seriously. I hope this will spark a serious discussion about the serious problem of merchants being able to buy their titles, otherwise we may see even more Kaishus.

The allegations levied on our shogun are truly shocking and I can't believe such a great warrior would plot to murder his own sister. This must be some kind of a misunderstanding and will clear soon enough. We should, however, avoid actions that would cause further chaos in our Republic. I'm pretty sure our shogun will come from this situation unharmed and strengthened, as virtuous people tend to do. Meanwhile, riling crowd against foreigners is a dangerous game that caused this chain of events in first place.

Of course, we should oppose foreign influence, otherwise we will end up like China - humiliated, carved up and poisoned with opium. Using angry mob to hurt foreign diplomats, however, is ultimately pointless and morally repugnant. It is similar to carving up a peasant to spite his lord. I would like to ask Matsudaira Sadaaki-san: how does the broken spine of Iwakura Totomi-san serve Ezo? Was it supposed to get more favorable peace from the Meiji Emperor, or was that a clever plan to somehow stop his fleet from reaching our shores?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The shogun is innocent, a victim of a vile plot by the president to rid this land of it's traditional values and place himself as a dictator for life.

When will the Nationalist party wake up and rid themselves of this cancerous leech perched at the top of them, seeking naught but to claim Ezo as his own dominion.

E: What also alarms me is the increasing amount of control that foreigners have over our nation.
-America and France run our economy for us
-We sold those islands to Russia for a pittance
-Our SHOGUN has been falsely arrested to be handed over to the british as a scapegoat for another man's crimes
-We're likely going to accept (although I for one choose to vote NO based on the fourth clause) a peace treaty that gives more Ezo territory to the Germans.

I ask you, how much more of our nation must we hand over to the gaijin in the name of a divided Japan?

I for one would like for our diplomats to seek peace with the Meiji. Too many lives have been lost in a war that is currently at a complete stalemate, we lack the manpower to press an attack, they currently lack the naval power to break our defences. We are back to square one with this war, and all we have to show for it is dead samurai. We should seek a peace based on mutual benefit, and focus our attention on building Ezo into a great nation, free from foreign control.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 27, 2014

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Ataman Hijikata Toshizō, The Demon of the Shinsengumi

Sadaaki,

why did you barge into a sacred cooking competition and attack the winner? Did you not know that he was now going to be chef of the Shinsengumi and you attacked a member of it? I demand an answer!

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
shogun

an excerpt extracted from a letter given to a guard loyal to Ezo and not to a foolish man, power hungry and mad

.... This man, this president seeks to brand himself the emperor, and in his own delusional mind he sees himself fit as the man to rule. Samurai take heed, already he seeks to discard your titles,and bastardized your heritage. Ainu take heed, already has he sold off your lands given to you by Me as a sign of goodwill. Brave warriors take heed, already has he plotted the assassination that led to the fatal day on the mainland leaving your brothers slain. Ezo take heed, for this man would kill our emperor and leave our nation in ruin for the slightest delusions of power. It is absurd that a boy of 15 would kill his own blood, a boy that has been going bankrupt to provide for our defense, to provide for my vassals, to provide for ezo. Yet, here we are with a man that has done nothing of gravity but propose the corruption of our blood with opium fiends and whores, arresting a boy whom has provided more for ezo and the true emperor, than our so called president...

....I would lend all those who still support the path of virtue and honor to look towards the loyal samurai as the last bastion of sanity and decency in ezo.... restore the shogun, revere the true emperor and expel the barbarians friends, this is what I ask of you as the hand of our president chokes the lands into decay.

..... though it may be just a symbolic gesture to a fool so far corrupted by the meiji, I strip the president of any semblance of samurai status by the powers given to me through fair and just legislation, let it be known our president is no more a samurai than a dog.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 27, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

*Kneels before the Ezo flag*

My loyalty as a samurai is first to my emperor, then to the shogun. I support the shogun's innocence.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Perhaps we should wait for the evidence to come out before deciding on guilt or innocence?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The "evidence" is likely a gaijin forgery, based on an eagerness to weaken ezo as opposed to the facts.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Kasuga Saemon (S)

Letter to Hijikata Toshizo posted:

My friend, I hope to see you again in the dojo soon - that match will be one I remember in my bones for many years! I'm sure the students learned just as much as I.

Anyway, per your request I have included this rosary, as well as my small explanation on how to use it most prayerfully and efficaciously. Our Lady gave this to the Holy Dominic many centuries ago, and it has proven a most powerful weapon in the spiritual war we all fight. It's been blessed by our Bishop Osouf, and I hope that it will provide you the strength and courage it has given me in my own trials.

Your friend, always,
Kasuga Saemon

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino, Chief, Daimyo.

The arrest of the Shogun poses an interesting legal question. Could the Shogun legally strip Enomoto of his position as samurai? That is to say, is being a samurai something that comes from the Shogun or from somewhere else.

If it comes from the Shogun, then the Shogun only stands trial by his own choosing. He could easily strip his opponents of their titles until only his supporters remain in government. Enomoto remained silent while our dear Shogun stripped the rebellious Otori Keisuke, after all.

On the other hand, if the Shogun does not have the power to bestow and remove titles, who does? The legislature? The president? Making samurai merely legal title seems to be at odds with tradition, history, and precedent.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not sure if the current situation with the Shogun is constitutionally sound, he has a right to a fair public trial as well as a right to seek counsel.

I believe we have a constitutional right to know where the Shogun is as well as the right to contact him.

Perhaps the supreme court should rule on this? Might not be necessary, but I would like to see what they think.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I believe Matsudaira Naritami should be allowed to see the young Shogun, as he is the boys guardian.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
陸軍奉行 (Army Minister)

The Strengthen the Republic Bill states, among other things, that the army is permitted to conduct covert operations against targets at war with the republic, and forces that could reasonably pose a danger against the republic, as well as conduct counterintelligence operations of our own. Keep in mind also that it under my authority to command the various militia groups within Ezo.

It is a simple fact that a Meiji Spy sabotaged my raid on the Meiji fleet, and by extension the entire war effort. It is also a simple fact that Totomi is a man with clear ties and allegiance to the corrupt Meiji court. He may be a diplomat, but I believe we all know that it is quite common for diplomats to engage in espionage.

I intend to show no mercy to the scum who wish to weaken our republic, whether it be from within or without. I offer apologies only to Hijikata Toshizō, a man whom I deeply respect. While I am sorry to have caused you inconvenience, I assure you that my actions helped the republic.

I am no barbarian, nor am I some kind of villain. I only wish to serve the republic just as well domestically as I do on the battlefield. And the best way to do that, I believe, is to strike fear into the hearts of Ezo's enemies, no matter where they hide.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

The arrest of the shogun was unfortunate but necessary. I have supported the shogun and his traditional duties, yet perhaps I am somewhat to blame, by placing too much pressure upon a boy so young, his mind had become warped. So far as the evidence was presented to me, it was detailed thusly. First, the Shogun arranged the wedding of his sister with Mr. Blakiston. His goal was never to see the wedding through, but to kill Blakiston at the wedding and thereby gain the Blakiston trade empire through control of his sister. Tragically, his bomb plot killed his sister rather than the initial target. He shed the innocent blood of his own sister, using her as a pawn in a ridiculous game that also endangered the relationship of Ezo with nearly every civilized nation in the world, especially the British. I will allow the Shinsengumi to present the evidence, and the Shogun will receive a proper, legal hearing. His position will remain secret for now out of necessity, however I will allow the Shinsengumi to pass letters to him, and read letters from him, he will not be muzzled in any way, he remains in possession of his constitutional rights to free speech and presumption of innocence. It would not be proper for me to comment on his guilt or innocence, but merely state that with the preponderance of evidence presented, I could no longer delay in agreeing that the Shogun must be placed under arrest. If the allegations are true, then he has shed the blood of the Tokugawa line for mere money like a grubbing merchant, and inadvertently murdered his own sister, along with the attempted murder of Mr. Blakiston. As a society of law, such actions by anyone, even the Shogun, can not be allowed to stand.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Matsudaira Naritami

I ask to be allowed to see the Shogun, he is my responsibility after all and I must request to see where he is being held. I would also ask to see the evidence of the Shinsengumi before anything takes place so that I can (at the very least) seek to see the truth of its accusations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Iwakura Totomi, Meiji Ambassador, Proprietor of "Sushi-tennou", Iron Chef, Job Creator, Small Business Owner, Personal Chef for the Shinsengumi and Hijikata Toshizo, future Augmented Ezochian, Current Cyborg

My friends, I have been beaten near to death in the mad rampage of Matsudaira Sadaaki. I am the second person he has mercilessly beaten in such a manner, and I am blessed to have survived. I personally hold little faith in superstitions or acts of divinity, but even I recognize that my survival was not through our petty machinations here on this island, or even this planet, but from some sort of higher power. If he, she, or they are listening now: you have my gratitude, and may I bear witness to your mercy in the future.

As the old philosophers wrote, "one act of kindness can echo to the thousandth generations."

Matsudaira-san acted with such ferocity and viciousness that I saw, deep in his eyes, a fire, a burning of pure evil. It is my suspicion that Matsudaira-san, normally a tireless public servant for your regime, has become possessed by a demon. The Omi have been known, from time to time, to take control of the bodies of others and have them do their bidding - in this case, violence against an innocent chef.

I speak, of course, metaphorically; the demon that has possessed him is the specter of war. The constant violence, betrayal, and deceit by this fledgling nation has driven him to the point of paranoid madness. He has been pushed beyond the bounds of human decency, and now is no longer a man, but a wild animal.

I do not wish to see him behind bars; he has nearly killed me, and yet, throwing him in a prison cell wouldn't accomplish anything, and likely just cause him even more mental distress. As such, as a gesture of mercy, I am not pressing any criminal charges against Matsu-san. This nation has been torn apart by strife; if it takes a Meiji citizen to begin the healing, then let me be the first to say it: "I forgive you." You who have shattered my bones and torn my spirit: "I forgive you." You who have destroyed my property and threatened my livelihood: "I forgive you." You who have been frightened, angered, and driven to madness by our horrid times:

"I forgive you."

I will be seeking redress in the form of compensation, of course, for both the damage caused and for the emotional turmoil. But his estate will likely be more than capable of absorbing the expense, and this way we can resolve our dispute with dignity and civility rather than with violence begetting yet more violence.

In other news, my generosity is extending to my restaurant: I have decided to open a second venue elsewhere in Hakodate, and, in honor of its grand opening, I offer one free sushi roll to the first one hundred customers. One hundred rolls for the one hundred years I hope to remain shambling on this green earth!

Kanpai!!

*downs an entire carafe of sake before wheeling away*

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Marius Klausen, the Danish Samurai

Marius Klausen gazed longingly at the crude poster on his wall; it showed a shadowed figure with a slim sword raised above his head, as the sun rose behind him. This simple poster, worn and clearly loved, was the center of Klausen's world; it represented all his hopes and dreams for a world long gone, one of honor, prestige, and, most of all, real hanzo steel swords.

But the time for dreams was over, now was the time for action. Smiling to himself, Klausen carefully took the poster down and neatly folded it, adding it to his luggage. Now is the time, he thought, now I become the man I was always meant to be.

Marius Klausen, the man who would be a samurai, finished packing and set off for the boat that would take him to his new life. In stunted Japanese, he said, "Yes, I am Danish. Yes, I am a Samurai. Don't laugh. I'll behead you. I promise to smile back at your fallen head."

He would show them, he'd show them all; he had the skill and bravery, but most of all he had the true honor of a samurai.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Flushed.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 28, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

Usually I'm not a man of grand statements. Economic work is most often all about banal and mundane things, but done with care and toil. But in these tumultuous times, history will skip over some things. And before the mists of time claim it, I want to speak of it.

The merchants that were betrayed and murdered were some of the Ezo Republic's greatest financial minds. I understand that some do not understand how much they did for the Republic, and that only shows their worthiness. Like salt, like soil, like coal, they were the kind of men that don't take the grand stage, they're the ones that made sure the stage got built in the first place.

They were either not samurai, or had only recently been given that honor for their contributions to the war. In this, many followed Katsu Kaishu. Why should they not? A Samurai, an accomplished financial mind, and often a defender of their interests. None can blame them for hearing out what the man had to say.

And he betrayed them. He stabbed them in the back. These men were offered wealth and prosperity, if they would only betray the Ezo Republic. And they died because they refused to. Many of them were not samurai. Many of those who were, would get looked down upon by those from families with longer histories. They never wanted the world. They simply wanted to build something great. And it was taken from them, and they were taken from us.

I mourn them. And I hope God will forgive that treacherous snake Katsu Kaishu and the Meiji masters whose thirty silvers he took. For I will not.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 28, 2014

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Thomas Crusoe

Open letter to Hijikata Toshizô,

I gave you fair warning. No more running. From now on, all members of the Shinsengumi are subject to my vengeance.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
edit: nothing to see here

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 28, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Icecream Jane posted:

Marius Klausen gazed longingly at the crude poster on his wall; it showed a shadowed figure with a slim sword raised above his head, as the sun rose behind him. This simple poster, worn and clearly loved, was the center of Klausen's world; it represented all his hopes and dreams for a world long gone, one of honor, prestige, and, most of all, real hanzo steel swords.

But the time for dreams was over, now was the time for action. Smiling to himself, Klausen carefully took the poster down and neatly folded it, adding it to his luggage. Now is the time, he thought, now I become the man I was always meant to be.

Marius Klausen, the man who would be a samurai, finished packing and set off for the boat that would take him to his new life. In stunted Japanese, he said, "Yes, I am Danish. Yes, I am a Samurai. Don't laugh. I'll behead you. I promise to smile back at your fallen head."

He would show them, he'd show them all; he had the skill and bravery, but most of all he had the true honor of a samurai.

Welcome aboard!

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Akihiro Kurosawa, Foreign Minister currently in Berlin mediating a treaty

"In response to the treaty request by the Meji, I am going to humbly request England be the third party mediator for this treaty. As well, as this concerns Russia. I am going to ask the Czar send a representative. I will confer this to my German associates here."

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

A pamphlet, emblazoned large with the seals of both the Meiji Emperor, and the Tokugawa Bakufu, begins to make its rounds throughout Ezo.

A CALL TO ACTION
On the Restoration of Peaceful National Unity

Restore the Shogun!
(将軍を復元 )
Revere the True Emperor!
(真の皇帝を敬う)
Expel the Barbarians!
(蛮族を追放)

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 28, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Jules Brunet
Special Adviser to the President, Private Military Contractor, Businessman, Actual Commodore, Believer in Bootstraps, Scoffer-at of Scum

Oh look, the traitor merchant turns lapdog to the Samurai class.

quote:

The current proposal which seeks to turn land near Hakodate over to German control in exchange for the continued existence of Ezo. President Enomoto has made the blackest of deals in exchange for European protection from the Emperor’s justice!

Perhaps someone should tell him that his Meiji jailors are the ones who demanded that particular portion of the proviso.

Litos
Feb 2, 2013
Saji Kobei
Leader of the Ezo Peasants' and Workers' Coordination Society

"Transcript of Annual Address Speech Delivered to the Peasants and Workers Society Council posted:

How is it that the peasantry are to advance our positions in the society of Ezo? Some of us would suggest representation and speaking out, but our voice is goal we do not yet have, not a means we can employ for further desires. Some would suggest dissent, but while the peasantry is strong and determinate, it is also level-headed and understands the importance of family. Furthermore, it is a fact in our society that reform will come with allies, not antagonism from above.

One author, a certain "Karl Marx" from Germany claims that "All of history is class struggle", but it is evident that this is a interpretation of Western history more than one of the East. In Asia, it is imperative that the peasantry works to become self-efficate, conscious, and productive. Only then may we earn status through merit.

I highly encourage my colleagues to defend the state through volunteering for armed service through lawful mechanisms and incorporation into the government's larger structure of defensive militias. Furthermore, peasants must work harder and increase production to better the value that we can produce for our country. We are capable and worthy of effective organization, and in order to advance our position, we must show all who doubt us our value to society.

---

それはどのように農民は蝦夷の社会の中で私たちの位置を前進させるためにあるということです?私たちの一部は、表現と発言をお勧めしますが、私たちの声は、我々はまだ我々は更なる欲望のために利用することができる手段ではなく、持っていない目標です。中には、反対意見を示唆するが、農民が強いと確定されるが、それはまた、冷静であり、家族の大切さを理解しています。また、改革は上から拮抗作用、同盟国ではない来ることを私たちの社会では事実である。

一著者、ドイツからの特定の「カール·マルクスは、 「 「歴史はすべて階級闘争である」と主張しているが、それは、これは東アジアの複数の西洋史の解釈であることは明らかである。アジアでは、農民が自己 、意識的、かつ生産的になるために働くことが不可欠です。そうしてこそメリットを通じてステータスを獲得することができます。

私は非常に防御的な民兵の政府のより大きな構造へと合法的なメカニズムや組み込みによって武装サービスのためにボランティア活動を通して状態を守るために私の同僚をお勧めします。さらに、農民は懸命に働く、我々は我々の国のために生成することができます値をより良くするために生産を増加させる必要があります。私たちは、可能かつ効果的な組織の価値がある、と我々の立場を進めるために、私たちは私たちに社会への価値を疑う者すべてを表示する必要があります。

Litos fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 29, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
ooc: lol you wrote all of that and painstakingly translated it and you don't know how to spell transcript

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Fall Sick and Die posted:

ooc: lol you wrote all of that and painstakingly translated it and you don't know how to spell transcript

Trainscript is more modern.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Ataman Hijikata Toshizō, The Demon of the Shinsengumi

quote:

Letter to Kasuga Saemon

Dear friend,
I thank you for the rosary.

Now, on the sparring, I am more concern with the fact after what happened earlier, I should endeavor to push myself. I am planning on setting up a training session for myself and I would be glad if you decide to join.

With Regards,
Hijikata Toshizō

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Action Points for Turn 6

Best post is awarded to Takanago for his efforts in creating a brand new party in Ezo: the Sakura Party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPH_HTVwOoQ

Turn Due Date tentatively scheduled for Friday, April 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM CST (GMT - 6).

If there are any errors, please notify the GMs as necessary.

Maximo Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 30, 2014

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Kasuga Saemon’s academy for commandery continues its progress, bringing in many eager recruits intrigued by the renowned teacher’s literary approach to the modern art of war. The learned sensei provides numerous examples and assigned readings of the great classical tomes on battle. A few weeks later, they recruits are suddenly surprised to put theory into practice with wargames in the grounds of the military school. The wilds of Ezochi provides an able testing ground for applying Saemon’s lessons, and officers and recruits alike are tactically enriched by the process. After the initial few matches, they win the matches against the dummy Meiji invaders handily, applying the lessons of Sun Tzu, Musashi, and Saemon to their battles.

(+better training due to war games, +Ezo military ready to fight the opposing force, +fun times had by all)

[this area reserved for upcoming evidence]

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
OOC: I'd like to join - spoke to maxRob today

Saeki Fumiko

Born into the Saeki clan, Fumiko was trained in swordfighting by her father, a Samurai, though never allowed to fight. The patriarchal Meiji and Ezo governance have led her to despise both systems, yet the patriarchal revolutionaries have led her to despise the recently imported idea of socialism. Born to a Samurai though not one herself, she is treated as a member of the Samurai caste without enjoying its official previleges. A proto-anarchofeminist, she keeps her ideals to herself, knowing that she is not in the position to wage war against the powers that be, at present...

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Enomoto Michiakira

I call upon the culinary world to unite in the name of culinary solidarity and refuse service to Matsudaira Sadaaki and all who participated in his lynch mob. Iron Chef is sacred ground, a place where people go to perfect their gastronomic skills, a place where nationalism has no influence, and an attack on it for the sake of nationalism is to ruin the flavour, the texture of the competition, a deed that should not go unpunished.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ignore me.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 31, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Jules Brunet
Special Adviser to the President, Private Military Contractor, Businessman, Actual Commodore, Believer in Bootstraps, Economic Engineer

quote:

An Announcement from the Greater Ezo Development Corporation

The Board of Directors of the GEDC are pleased to announce the formal unveiling of the organization. Dedicated to rejuvenating the economy of Ezo in light of recent treachery, the GEDC offers the unique combination of Western connections and capital with Ezochian honor and diligence. In addition to direct economic enterprise, the GEDC will offer loans, expertise, and a helping hand to any struggling Ezochian merchant, so that a climate of economic prosperity may speedily be achieved. Any who wish to collaborate on projects for the good of Ezo are encouraged to contact us with all due haste.

Signed,

Jules Brunet
Takaro Takamichi
Thomas Blakiston
Hontaro Sugimura
Horace Capron
Yoshimitsu Renge

quote:

An Announcement from the newly-formed Militaires San Frontiers

It is my pleasure to announce the merging of Monsieur Blakiston's Soldiers Without Borders with my own Les Militaires Mondiaux. The two organizations have a rich martial history, and this newest merger promises to increase our capabilities many times over. As part of the merger, British officers will be given places of honor and distinction, still in command of their men - no second-class soldiers here. When French and British fought seven decades ago, Europe trembled - now they fight together: let our enemies beware!

MSF is always recruiting! Join today!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 31, 2014

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Marius wasn't sure this was the glorious Empire of Nippon, upon which the sun had never set (well, he'd heard that, but he was sure that wasn't actually physically possible; he was still exploring the possibility that the honor of the Japanese had something to do with this); it certainly was very foreign and he'd spotted more than a few katanas as he'd roamed the lands, looking for work.

On the matter of work, he had been having some rather poor luck; it seemed that his translation booklet, The Young Man's Guide to Basic Nipponese: Hundreds of Useful Phrases for the Leisurely Gentleman Visiting the Mysterious Orient by Henry Salisbury, was very lacking in practical things such as "how much is this food" (though it went into great detail asking about houses of ill-repute; Marius was beginning to think that Mr. Salisbury wasn't much of a gentleman, despite the claims his book made to the contrary).

Still things were looking up; in the last town he'd been through (it had, had a very strange, foreign name), a fellow had promised him a chance to train with honest to God, real samurai, all if he'd just spread the word about how great and truly fearsome the samurai were. For the Danish samurai, that was something of a hobby that had led to most of his friends avoiding the subject of the Orient completely.

The only problem was that it wasn't actually going very well; Marius stood in the town center, translation book in hand, yelling at people, trying to tell them about the glories of the samurai. It typically went something like this: "Hey you, uh oh drat how do I say this..., dishonorable son of a dog, have you... why'd you hit me you son of a bitch?"

These Nipponese sure are strange, thought Marius, rubbing his stomach where he'd been hit; having nothing for it, he got back to work. Every bruise he gained, every scar he acquired would be a badge of honor and courage in pursuit of his ultimate goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

The decision of the Attorney General has been to move the case against the shogun to trial. I hereby order that the evidence against the shogun be made public, such that the shogun's defense can begin to make a fair examination of the evidence prior to the trial.

• Locked thread