Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
I desire learning materials on Exchange. I've learned a lot about Exchange 2010 from on-the-job work, picking things up as I go, so I'm not coming into this blind. I need a book that will teach me the fundamentals and bring me up to a solid, broad working knowledge of Exchange. Bonus points for highlights on new implementations of Exchange, as well as upgrading/migrating existing 2003/2007 implementations up to 2010+.

Cost is not a factor, as I'll be expensing it to my company, but I'd like to keep it reasonable so it's not seen as excessive.

Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Best way: Lab environment

Less than best way: Books - I've always liked the O'Reilly "In a nutshell" series.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Gyshall posted:

Best way: Lab environment

Less than best way: Books - I've always liked the O'Reilly "In a nutshell" series.

I should clarify, I have access to a copy of Server2008R2 and Exchange 2010, and plan on spinning up a VM on my home machine for playing around with these things, but I do want at least something to read on the subject.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

wintermuteCF posted:

Suggestions?

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2010-free-training-videos/

Unfortunately, he hasn't done an Exchange 2013 course yet but I emailed him and he's working on one apparently.

edit: Also, if you don't have one already, look into a subscription here: http://www.cbtnuggets.com/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I posted awhile ago about trying to run my own Exchange server and I think the best option is for me to find a hosted solution; any recommendations? We use Rackspace at work, and that's $10/mo, who else should I look at?

I really just want a service that can do push e-mail via ActiveSync/similar to my iOS devices, so if Google Apps for Business ends up being cheaper, I might just stick with that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

movax posted:

I posted awhile ago about trying to run my own Exchange server and I think the best option is for me to find a hosted solution; any recommendations? We use Rackspace at work, and that's $10/mo, who else should I look at?

I really just want a service that can do push e-mail via ActiveSync/similar to my iOS devices, so if Google Apps for Business ends up being cheaper, I might just stick with that.

How much space do you need? The big webhosts have plans that are $4-6 a month. As long as you don't need an Outlook license or huge mailbox you should be good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you want Exchange, Rackspace is pretty good for a small shop (just 1 email even)

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Maybe one of you PowerShell gurus can help me here. I need to run this command on all my resources:

code:
Set-MailboxFolderPermission -identity "Head Office - Boardroom:\calendar" -User default -AccessRights LimitedDetails
So, I can get my resources by running a command like:

code:
Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails RoomMailbox
and then piping it to the Set-MailboxFolderPermission command, right? But how do I target only the calendar like the first command?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
$test = get-mailbox -recipienttypedetails roommailbox | select-object name
Set-MailboxFolderPermission -identity "'$test':\calendar" -User default -AccessRights LimitedDetails

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 27, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah, pipe it. Not at work right now but something like:

code:
Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails RoomMailbox | Set-MailboxFolderPermission blahh blah blah
That should work. You can also use the -whatif switch to see what the result would be, without actually breaking anything!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

movax posted:

Buy an office365 for small biz plan

Actual exchange rather than googles sorta kinda exchange but not really

Plus one drive pro and all the other stuff. Cheap plan is 60 pp per year and has no desktop office apps but everything else and lync too

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Nitr0 posted:

$test = get-mailbox -recipienttypedetails roommailbox | select-object name
Set-MailboxFolderPermission -identity "'$test':\calendar" -User default -AccessRights LimitedDetails

Any ideas?

code:
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity "${rooms}:\calendar" -User default -AccessRights Reviewer

The specified mailbox "      " doesn't exist.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $rooms

Name
----
Head Office - Boardroom
Head Office - Food Products
Head Office - Trading
Head Office - Fish Bowl
Head Office - Lunch Room
Head Office - Blue Room
Head Office - Computer

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think you need to pipe the command - not use the variable. If you're using the variable you might need a for-each { statement or something.

gently caress powershell sometimes man

code:
Get-mailbox -recipienttypedetails roommailbox | set-mailboxfolderpermission -user default -accessrights limiteddetails

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Speaking of signatures, is there an easy way to attach a users signature to an email sent from an ActiveSync device, other than using a product that attaches the same generic message/disclaimer to every outgoing email?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Exchange can do it with a transport rule- you can include user attributes, no problem. It will likely go plain text though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a couple of clients that need crazy logic for signatures that Exchange just can't do natively (at least 2010) - so we use CodeTwo Exchange Rules for those clients. It works pretty good.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Gyshall posted:

I think you need to pipe the command - not use the variable. If you're using the variable you might need a for-each { statement or something.

gently caress powershell sometimes man

code:
Get-mailbox -recipienttypedetails roommailbox | set-mailboxfolderpermission -user default -accessrights limiteddetails

Yeah I ended up doing a foreach.

code:
$rooms = Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails RoomMailbox | Select-Object name

foreach ($r in $rooms) {
    Set-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity "$($r.name):\calendar" -User Default -AccessRights Reviewer
    Set-CalendarProcessing -Identity "$($r.name)" -AddOrganizerToSubject $true -DeleteComments $false -DeleteSubject $false -BookingWindowInDays 180 -MaximumDurationInMinutes 43200
}

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

Buy an office365 for small biz plan

Actual exchange rather than googles sorta kinda exchange but not really

Plus one drive pro and all the other stuff. Cheap plan is 60 pp per year and has no desktop office apps but everything else and lync too

I've got my calendar eggs in the iCloud basket at the moment, but that actually has halfway competent integration with Outlook compared to Google, so I think I'll just look at e-mail.

Looks like this is what I need? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans-hosted-email-for-business-FX103764022.aspx

Thought about Google Apps for Business, but as you said, it's still pseudo-Exchange at best, IIRC.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Our internal and external domain names are the same (ie blarg.net AD domain name, external DNS is blarg.net as well). Would adding an MX record for blarg.net to our AD DNS gently caress anything up? We have an internal site that needs to resolve our mx records in this manner (for *reasons* I can't change). I don't think it would cause problems but I'm being paranoid.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Anyone know of a service which will let you point your MX record at them and have them redirect mail to two different mail systems depending on the recipient?

We are currently on MDaemon and looking to migrate to Exchange Online but can't run Hybrid mode because we aren't using OnPrem exchange. We can do it through forwarding and connectors but it seems messy. I feel like a service like this should exist but I can't seem to find anything on it in my searches.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

whaam posted:

Anyone know of a service which will let you point your MX record at them and have them redirect mail to two different mail systems depending on the recipient?

We are currently on MDaemon and looking to migrate to Exchange Online but can't run Hybrid mode because we aren't using OnPrem exchange. We can do it through forwarding and connectors but it seems messy. I feel like a service like this should exist but I can't seem to find anything on it in my searches.

AppRiver handles it the other way. You create 'whaam' as a user in their control paenl for your domain, then you set your current mail server to forward any mail it receives for 'whaam' to something like 'whaam.company.com@fwd.appriver.com'

If one of your users that has already been migrated to your AppRiver account, it goes directly to their mailbox. Otherwise it hits your existing mail server and you don't change the MX record until you've moved everyone over.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

movax posted:

I've got my calendar eggs in the iCloud basket at the moment, but that actually has halfway competent integration with Outlook compared to Google, so I think I'll just look at e-mail.

Looks like this is what I need? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans-hosted-email-for-business-FX103764022.aspx

Thought about Google Apps for Business, but as you said, it's still pseudo-Exchange at best, IIRC.

No, unless u just want barebones exchange only. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx

The 5 a month plan is the one I have and it's pretty good plus it can manage the DNS for you.

Even if you ignore calendar support the extra buck gets you a bunch of stuff including share point and one drive pro which is sharepoint storage

Plus access to the office online apps that are significantly less lovely than gapps when it comes to office.

If the exchange plan 2 was $4 a month I'd have taken that

Also if you have an msdn sub you get an e3 account which has most or all the bells and whistles but it's very confusing to set up and tied to your msdn sub so I just bought a new one.

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 7, 2014

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I am having a really weird issue with emails coming from a particular customer. The email is supposed to have an excel document attached. Instead, the attachment turns into text and dumps into the body of the email. It looks like this:

--_000_B66D274DB4507A45B04FD36C41E81AA30124B4FDD7CHAEX01PVKSTG_
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
>
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
p
mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0in;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0in;
font-size:12.0pt;
span.EmailStyle18
{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple">
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
<p><span style=3D"font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"">T=
hank You,</span> <br>
<span style=3D"font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"">KSE<=
/span> <o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_B66D274DB4507A45B04FD36C41E81AA30124B4FDD7CHAEX01PVKSTG_--

--_004_B66D274DB4507A45B04FD36C41E81AA30124B4FDD7CHAEX01PVKSTG_
Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel; name="temp12.xls"
Content-Description: temp12.xls
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="temp12.xls"; size=46080;
creation-date="Tue, 08 Apr 2014 16:26:06 GMT";
modification-date="Tue, 08 Apr 2014 16:26:05 GMT"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
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.

The odd thing is someone receiving this at a Yahoo address is able to forward the message to us no problem. As a workaround I created a gmail account and had it autoforward to relevant parties. The autoforwarded emails look exactly like what is above. If I manually forward the email from the gmail account it comes over just fine.

I already looked at our firewall and Untangle appliance and doubt it is related to either of those, so now I am thinking exchange. We are on 2010 and have all updates applied. I already disabled all of the spam filter stuff within Exchange management console.

Any ideas?

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

AppRiver handles it the other way. You create 'whaam' as a user in their control paenl for your domain, then you set your current mail server to forward any mail it receives for 'whaam' to something like 'whaam.company.com@fwd.appriver.com'

If one of your users that has already been migrated to your AppRiver account, it goes directly to their mailbox. Otherwise it hits your existing mail server and you don't change the MX record until you've moved everyone over.

Thanks, we've figured out a way to do it with forwarding that seems acceptable, but now we have another issue.

Our current POP/IMAP/Activesync mail server (Mdaemon) has never had an auto discover record. But the few accounts we have moved to Exchange Online require an auto discover record to allow outlook to be configured. If we suddenly add autodiscover.ourcompany.com to our DNS, will that break existing outlook/phone profiles that had their server manually entered? Does outlook/other clients poll auto discover during regular operations and update the server info to match it? Because only a few of our accounts would actually be on the server that auto discover would point to (exchange online).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sounds like there is something between your email server doing that filtering. What do you guys use for spam filters?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

No, unless u just want barebones exchange only. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx

The 5 a month plan is the one I have and it's pretty good plus it can manage the DNS for you.

Even if you ignore calendar support the extra buck gets you a bunch of stuff including share point and one drive pro which is sharepoint storage

Plus access to the office online apps that are significantly less lovely than gapps when it comes to office.

If the exchange plan 2 was $4 a month I'd have taken that

Also if you have an msdn sub you get an e3 account which has most or all the bells and whistles but it's very confusing to set up and tied to your msdn sub so I just bought a new one.

Ah yeah that looks pretty solid; can I do email forwarding easily (like aliases and poo poo to one actual mailbox) or it $60/yr per address basically?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

whaam posted:

If we suddenly add autodiscover.ourcompany.com to our DNS, will that break existing outlook/phone profiles that had their server manually entered? Does outlook/other clients poll auto discover during regular operations and update the server info to match it? Because only a few of our accounts would actually be on the server that auto discover would point to (exchange online).

I think they will pull. We setup the first couple accounts without doing the autodiscover thing, a little while after I made the DNS record I got a bunch of calls "WHATS THIS AUTODISCOVER POPUP THING IN OUTLOOK"

It was mainly to ask them to accept the security certificate, as far as I know it didn't actually re-configure anything.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Sounds like there is something between your email server doing that filtering. What do you guys use for spam filters?

We just have a spam assassin box that filters smtp traffic to exchange, pretty basic setup. It tends to quarantine or drop things though, never seen it actually modify how the exchange server interprets the email. Its bizarre though because you would assume it would be doing the same thing from forwarded emails as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

movax posted:

Ah yeah that looks pretty solid; can I do email forwarding easily (like aliases and poo poo to one actual mailbox) or it $60/yr per address basically?

You pay per licensed user - shared mailboxes don't count as users and can be up to 5GB IIRC, distribution lists, aliases etc. are all included.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

platypusmalone posted:

We just have a spam assassin box that filters smtp traffic to exchange, pretty basic setup. It tends to quarantine or drop things though, never seen it actually modify how the exchange server interprets the email. Its bizarre though because you would assume it would be doing the same thing from forwarded emails as well.

can you take spam assassin out of the equation for a test mailbox to see what happens?

also I assume the attachment problem is happening no matter what mail client you're using (outlook vs. owa) right?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm doing a migration from SBS 2003 (lmao) to O365/Exchange Online. Four mailboxes are getting this error in migration batch:

The subscription for the migration user fart@poop.org couldn't be loaded. The following error was encountered: Couldn't find a request that matches the information provided. Reason: No such request exists in the specified index..

Because all other mailboxes worked I assume there's something wrong with the mailboxes, maybe a bad attribute. I'm running a second batch per MS support suggestions but I feel like that won't make a difference.

just kidding I'm not running a second batch because you can only run one at a time

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 9, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

movax posted:

It's per mailbox. I set up a bunch of aliases that resolve to my default box

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

We're about to finalize our Office 365 migration but we have a lot of fragmentation when it comes to servers, software, robots, etc., that were relaying anonymously through our Exchange 2003 SMTP server. I know I'm going to forget about some of our stuff that's setup to email alerts and poo poo so what is the best way to resolve this? Should I retire the Exchange 2003 server and put in an SMTP relay on that IP address to send to an Office 365 smart host and then just monitor the logs to see what is still sending, or should I do something else?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

We're about to finalize our Office 365 migration but we have a lot of fragmentation when it comes to servers, software, robots, etc., that were relaying anonymously through our Exchange 2003 SMTP server. I know I'm going to forget about some of our stuff that's setup to email alerts and poo poo so what is the best way to resolve this? Should I retire the Exchange 2003 server and put in an SMTP relay on that IP address to send to an Office 365 smart host and then just monitor the logs to see what is still sending, or should I do something else?
Rather than watching the logs, set up a transport rule that forwards a copy of every message from that smart host to your mailbox so that you get notified immediately rather than having to manually check logs (if this isn't breaking any compliance rules for your company, of course).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
My google kung-fo failed, trying to figure out why when I run the command...

code:
PS G:\> Get-DistributionGroup

Name                          DisplayName                   GroupType                     PrimarySmtpAddress
----                          -----------                   ---------                     ------------------
Something		      Something		            Universal                     [email]email@domain.com[/email]
If I want to see who's the owner of the distribution, I have to use

code:
PS G:\> Get-DistributionGroup | ft Name, ManagedBy

Name                                                        ManagedBy
----                                                        ---------
Something                                      	            Someone
How come I need to include a pipe to "format-table" to display the Manager of the Distribution-Group? Isn't there a way I could just include all info?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

How come I need to include a pipe to "format-table" to display the Manager of the Distribution-Group? Isn't there a way I could just include all info?

If you want to see "all" the information...

Get-DistributionGroup | fl

But if you're asking if you can change the default results of Get-DistributionGroup to include managed by then I don't think that's possible (sans making an alias that gives a format-table with the style you want)

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
We are currently using Postini for our hosted spam filtering, but now that they are transitioning over to Google Apps, their Postini support is for poo poo and I'm ready to make the change now rather than wait to get "the call" from them to transition our account over to Google Apps.

I've looked at a couple of other companies (that I can't remember off the top of my head), but they were all bent on selling me features that I don't really need (archive, legal discovery, mailbox recovery, etc.). Is there any service that is comparable to Postini, feature and price wise? The other companies I've looked at were coming in 3 to 4 times more expensive than what we're currently paying Postini.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast will sell you just the anti-spam features of their product, and I've heard good things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Caged posted:

Mimecast will sell you just the anti-spam features of their product, and I've heard good things.

Yeah, that's exactly how we are using it. It's a secure email gateway for outbound filtering (data leak prevention) and SPAM/Anti-virus for inbound. It's been working extremely well for us since we moved to it in Sept.

Bonus is, we can use it as a mail routing endpoint as well. So, we can split off certain email addresses in our domain to go to a different SMTP endpoint (regardless of what MX records say) which has been nice in certain instances since our corporate email domain overlaps somewhat with our support emails. We can have the default to send email to our exchange server for that domain, but certain address we can route to our ticketing system directly. It prevents us from having to use POP3/IMAP polling on those systems and removes the load of those messages from our exchange server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

nexxai posted:

Rather than watching the logs, set up a transport rule that forwards a copy of every message from that smart host to your mailbox so that you get notified immediately rather than having to manually check logs (if this isn't breaking any compliance rules for your company, of course).

Ah, yeah that makes more sense.

Next question. I have a company that builds a lot of our custom web applications that wants to be able to send password resets from a @ourdomain.com email address. I've never done this before for external use. Should I just modify our SPF record to allow them as a sender and tell them to use their own SMTP server or should I somehow give them access to send through our Office 365 account?