Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
3D printed turbos and over 1000nm torque from 3000 to 7800. Holy gently caress.

He just seems so humble in every video I've seen of him, it seems like he cares less for out doing other manufacturers, but rather more than making batshit crazy cars and actually experimenting with components.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I loved seeing the guy beat the hood shut, hehe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Viggen in the news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUXS1FyF9ls

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A far more interesting thing on the Drive channel would be Chris Harris in a Jaguar F-Type Coupe R :swoon:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

:sweden:

I need to buy a saab, I've only had a volvo. I'm a bad swede.

or we could all chip in and get me a koenigsegg? Right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Being slightly deranged is probably mandatory at Koenigsegg.

Carbon. Fiber. Springs.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KozmoNaut posted:

Carbon. Fiber. Springs.

Well the guy practically invented the stuff so hes pretty good at using it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Carbon. Fiber. Springs.

Yeah, my eyes got a bit wide at that point. Also 3D printed turbos.

And if I'm not mistaken, with what he's saying about the increased weight savings he's expecting on the actual production models, this thing will have a better than 1:1 power to weight ratio.

With a stereo.

loving madness.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
Imagine the industry in 20 years when we have guys like him trying the stuff out now.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Boat posted:

this thing will have a better than 1:1 power to weight ratio.
I understand how this works with aircraft, the engines push on the air this hard i.e. pounds of thrust, meaning if pounds of thrust > weight of aircraft then it can theoretically fly straight up. But I never hear of cars producing x pounds of thrust, it's always horsepower, or some moonspeak number like PS or whatever, so how does this work with cars?

edit: Oh god I can smell the math coming :ohdear: loving numbers

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

I understand how this works with aircraft, the engines push on the air this hard i.e. pounds of thrust, meaning if pounds of thrust > weight of aircraft then it can theoretically fly straight up. But I never hear of cars producing x pounds of thrust, it's always horsepower, or some moonspeak number like PS or whatever, so how does this work with cars?

In this case, it's Horsepower:Kilograms. Basically cherry picking imperial/metric units to make the numbers work.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
What would you do with a 1360kg car with 1360kW anyway?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cherry picking or not it's a crazy number for a "production" car. If you can call a Koenigsegg prototype production that is.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

Clear cut a forest presumably. Pretty sure you only get one chance so you gotta make it count.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Measly Twerp posted:

As many donuts as possible in 6th gear before the tires shred.

So about 3.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The only stat like that that actually matters is one horsepower per cubic inch.

:911::colbert::911:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Measly Twerp posted:

Pucker your butthole and try to keep it straight.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

So de-tuning every GM V8 after the LS1, then? :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VikingSkull posted:

So 5.0L V-8 = 305 cubic inches and it makes 1360hp.

That's 4.459 hp per cubic inch. :stare:

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

moonspeak number like PS

Here is some first grade math for you :science:

1 hp ≈ 1 ps = 1 cv = 1 hk etc.

Edit:
Since I am so much of a scientist I have retrofitted my condecending utterances to fit the facts at hand.

Fattig fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 30, 2014

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Fattig posted:

Here is some first grade math for you :science:

1 hp = 1 ps = 1 cv = 1 hk etc.

Imperial horsepower "hp": 745.6 W
Metric horsepower "cv", "ps", "hk"...: 735.5 W

hp = 1.0137 ps

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Metric horsepower is the most enraging unit on the planet, at least to a units sperg.

It's like someone saw the metric system and said "it's so perfect and symmetrical" and then thought to themselves "we should emulate the absolute worst stupidity of the imperial system and come up with a half assed backwards unit for something we already have" and thus kilowatts weren't good enough, and an oddball unit of instantaneous power, the metric horsepower, was required as well.

Not even kidding, it's less logical than the imperial one. Imperial horsepower are at least a whole number of watts.

PS/metric horsepower is the turd in the punch bowl.

</:spergin:>

bung
Dec 14, 2004

From the schadenfreude thread. Payoff at 1:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqZoaWKv2k

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Although the dude was driving like a jackass, considering there wasn't any vehicles behind him, I would have just let them pass, then moved back to the overtaking lane. What a jackass, though. Just desserts, anyone?

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Friar Zucchini posted:

Horsepower is based on rotation which is why it is misleading for a linearly translating car.

What you want is
code:
[torque output by the engine]*[drivetrain efficiency]*[transmission gear ratio]*[final drive ratio]
/
[outer radius of the tires]
this should give a linear force along the lines of pounds of thrust for an aircraft.

You can than use work/energy methods to find the change in speed over distance or impulse/momentum methods to find the change in speed over time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

fingerling posted:

Although the dude was driving like a jackass, considering there wasn't any vehicles behind him, I would have just let them pass, then moved back to the overtaking lane. What a jackass, though. Just desserts, anyone?

Driving in the passing lane 10 mph under the limit while filming, that person deserves to be shot.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I had the same itch about left lane camping, but you can see the driver pass two other vehicles before bro passes on the right. If I was guessing, I think she was actually going a little faster than the speed limit.

And whatever, gently caress the bro truck rear end in a top hat.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fucknag posted:

So de-tuning every GM V8 after the LS1, then? :v:

nope, everything over that is extra gooderer

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Measly Twerp posted:

Supermodels in the passenger seat, accelerate, arrive at the Pearly Gates in a huge fireball doing an Archer "WOOHOO!"?

Galler posted:

Clear cut a forest presumably. Pretty sure you only get one chance so you gotta make it count.

And now people in the office are wondering why I spat coffee all over the monitor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That video is a prime example of douchebag on douchebag crime. The idiot lady in the left lane clearly had space to move over... and the dudebro was, well, a dudebro.

The only thing that would have made it better is if she proceeded to drive into a guardrail or something while filming him crashing.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Doesn't look like a freeway to me or a road where keeping right pertains to, especially when a school zone exists. I'm on Team Camera Lady.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Some friends of mine are doing a thing. It's pretty decent so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPg54KnNJI

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Doesn't look like a freeway to me or a road where keeping right pertains to, especially when a school zone exists. I'm on Team Camera Lady.

In most states the law doesn't specify, you're supposed to keep right except to pass on any multi lane road. Fair point, though, it's definitely a lot more justifiable if there are lights and left turn lanes and stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Whether one is legally required to move over on any particular road is a different matter from whether someone is a douchebag for dawdling in the left lane.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Mr. Overcompensation is wrong for tailgating and did get his instant karma, but Ms. Self Righteous behind the camera is wrong for not just moving over. If someone wants to pass properly, regardless of their speed, and you are choosing to prevent them from doing so you are also in the wrong.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah. Lots of motorsports do the same thing if they don't have a proper window net. I think F1 does for one.

F1 definitely does not use arm tethers. Hell, even ChumpCar banned them iirc.

To add content, here's Dickie Meaden's P1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ojSstEv7-k

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SanitysEdge posted:

Horsepower is based on rotation which is why it is misleading for a linearly translating car.

What you want is
code:
[torque output by the engine]*[drivetrain efficiency]*[transmission gear ratio]*[final drive ratio]
/
[outer radius of the tires]
this should give a linear force along the lines of pounds of thrust for an aircraft.

You can than use work/energy methods to find the change in speed over distance or impulse/momentum methods to find the change in speed over time.

You just gave a whole boatload of numbers to come up with something even less relevant than horsepower by itself. You can game that one by gearing, too, but it still doesn't mean much compared to the car's ability to get traction / ability to maintain that acceleration / mass that must be accelerated.

At which point we're back to just bench racing 0-60, 1/4 mile, and Ring laptimes, so who the gently caress cares? Stop worrying about the numbers, does the car give you a smile and/or erection when you get in it?

Or, make you fear for your life?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I wish. I don't have that kind of space.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why does this exist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7yG2Iwyk0g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
America owns.