Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

What happens if you use a hemalurgic spike as a metalmind? What if it's a spike of the ferruchemic power you're using it for, maybe another kind of compounding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Xemloth posted:

What happens if you use a hemalurgic spike as a metalmind? What if it's a spike of the ferruchemic power you're using it for, maybe another kind of compounding?

Dream bigger.

What happens if you allomantically burn a hemalurgic spike that you've invested with feruchemical energy? :getin:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Dream bigger.

What happens if you allomantically burn a hemalurgic spike that you've invested with feruchemical energy? :getin:

Harmony smacks you down for being stupid.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

I still want to know how the mechanical Allomancy from the southern continent works.

Batteries are basically just two types of metal sharing electrons with each other. Perhaps having a coppermind instead of regular copper results in some sort of super battery.

Or maybe it's even simpler, like using a misting's super powers to pedal-power a machine or generator or something. "The allomantical revolution triggered rapid growth and prosperity, until it all came crashing down when we reached peak pewter."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What if the secret to putting Adonalsium back together is like what Shai had to do with the Emperor's soul? I'm betting that if you just threw the shards together that the shards with the strongest emotions would win, so you have to be careful with the process or else you just end up with a hateful god who only cares about dominating everything.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

What if the secret to putting Adonalsium back together is like what Shai had to do with the Emperor's soul? I'm betting that if you just threw the shards together that the shards with the strongest emotions would win, so you have to be careful with the process or else you just end up with a hateful god who only cares about dominating everything.

Probably - Harmony was nearly destroyed by the conflicting intents until he managed to carefully balance them, which wasn't a guaranteed thing. This may explain why more shards/odium haven't made a power grab either and just destroy the other shard. I have a feeling that Honor + Odium wouldn't balance out anywhere near as well as Preservation and Ruin.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xemloth posted:

Steel inquisitors actually use their spikes as metalminds!

It works quite well.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

JagGator posted:

Batteries are basically just two types of metal sharing electrons with each other. Perhaps having a coppermind instead of regular copper results in some sort of super battery.

Or maybe it's even simpler, like using a misting's super powers to pedal-power a machine or generator or something. "The allomantical revolution triggered rapid growth and prosperity, until it all came crashing down when we reached peak pewter."

Forget pewter, have any combination of 2 Steelshots/Lurchers pushing/pulling a big magnet through some coiled wires. Suddenly, electricity!
Could also be done with a iron feruchemist increasing/decreasing weight. (get heavy- push down piston. get light - piston goes up).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Lobsterpillar posted:

Forget pewter, have any combination of 2 Steelshots/Lurchers pushing/pulling a big magnet through some coiled wires. Suddenly, electricity!
Could also be done with a iron feruchemist increasing/decreasing weight. (get heavy- push down piston. get light - piston goes up).

Hell, the iron feruchemist would even be more efficient, since you wouldn't need to spend metal to get the effect. You just have a dude sitting there, probably reading or playing a game or something, getting heavy and light, back and forth. Forever. ))<>((

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kruller posted:

Hell, the iron feruchemist would even be more efficient, since you wouldn't need to spend metal to get the effect. You just have a dude sitting there, probably reading or playing a game or something, getting heavy and light, back and forth. Forever. ))<>((

Or just have a... whatever metal is heat. Brass? Whatever. Use him as one side of a thermocouple.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Or just have a... whatever metal is heat. Brass? Whatever. Use him as one side of a thermocouple.

Also, the feruchemists who can store breath and food are natures astronauts.

The iron would be pretty efficient, but I get the feeling they'd 'use' more stored weight than they gained as the piston goes up. But you know, in shifts it would be fine.

And also, as astronauts iron feruchemists would have some pretty weird/useful zero gravity interactions. Especially if they could also pull on metal to stop them flying away from the space station/ship.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just turn on weight absorption so your ship becomes truly weightless, and it'd be super easy to launch.

Then, when in space, you can do almost zero energy launches because you can render your ship's weight nothing at any point in time, such as during initial speed gains. Also, if you have a big enough feruchemical battery, or some other weightless process, you could go the speed of light with 'realistic' (haha) attainable energy usage.

edit: It could also create some amazing weapons, if you temporarily removed the weight, got it moving to like 99% the speed of light, then put the weight back and have it slam into something.

It could also be used to create unlimited energy, since you need substantially less energy to get it moving than it puts out when it hits.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nucleicmaxid posted:

Just turn on weight absorption so your ship becomes truly weightless, and it'd be super easy to launch.

Then, when in space, you can do almost zero energy launches because you can render your ship's weight nothing at any point in time, such as during initial speed gains. Also, if you have a big enough feruchemical battery, or some other weightless process, you could go the speed of light with 'realistic' (haha) attainable energy usage.

edit: It could also create some amazing weapons, if you temporarily removed the weight, got it moving to like 99% the speed of light, then put the weight back and have it slam into something.

It could also be used to create unlimited energy, since you need substantially less energy to get it moving than it puts out when it hits.

Mistborn Effect?

If I remember right that's basically exactly what Element Zero did in Mass Effect.

Also, just started Words of Radiance, and it took a bit to get going but I really like it so far. This might be the first "Gigantic endless fantasy series" that I finish since the Dark Tower.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure iron ferrings can only store/draw on their own weight, not that of other objects. Maybe if you created an alloy of iron and atium, since an alloy of gold and atium produces the same effect as gold but on external objects instead of yourself. Though that would imply that 'atium' is actually an alloy of electrum and the real, pure god-metal, so who knows.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, atium/malatium 'externalise' the allomantic effects of electrum/gold, while producing totally new ferruchemical effects, and most other allomantic powers already work on external objects anyway, so who knows what other atium alloys might do.

Mygna fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 27, 2014

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Lobsterpillar posted:

Also, the feruchemists who can store breath and food are natures astronauts.

The iron would be pretty efficient, but I get the feeling they'd 'use' more stored weight than they gained as the piston goes up. But you know, in shifts it would be fine.

And also, as astronauts iron feruchemists would have some pretty weird/useful zero gravity interactions. Especially if they could also pull on metal to stop them flying away from the space station/ship.

The piston could be designed to fall at his normal weight, making the actual "use" of the energy unnecessary. Breaking physics is fun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mygna posted:

I'm pretty sure iron ferrings can only store/draw on their own weight, not that of other objects. Maybe if you created an alloy of iron and atium, since an alloy of gold and atium produces the same effect as gold but on external objects instead of yourself. Though that would imply that 'atium' is actually an alloy of electrum and the real, pure god-metal, so who knows.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, atium/malatium 'externalise' the allomantic effects of electrum/gold, while producing totally new ferruchemical effects, and most other allomantic powers already work on external objects anyway, so who knows what other atium alloys might do.

Atium alloys produce 'various expanded mental and temporal effects'. Lerasium alloys include 'various expanded physical and enhancement effects, including the creation of mistings'.

I think the idea for the ship is to make it all into one magitek hemalurgic fabrial thing.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Creating a misting with Lerasium sounds like such a huge waste - I wonder if you get some exceptionally potent misting, like an instant Savant. Probably. Would also give interesting reasons to use Lerasium for more than just 'more mistborn' and allow more interesting uses of powers (Mistings have to be more clever with their one ability than mistborn ever do). I admit I'm curious what the other 'physical and enhancement effects' that aren't Misting creation could be.

Please, Sazed, make a ton of lerasium and atium for the main characters of Trilogy 2/3 for the sake of of dumb fantasy science :science:.

I also think I saw a Q&A somewhere that a lerasium/atium alloy would probably cause something along the nature of a nuclear explosion. :v:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Clearly the obvious long-term solution for mistborn in space is for genetic engineering to take hold, and they breed a biological mistborn spaceship.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

rafikki posted:

Clearly the obvious long-term solution for mistborn in space is for genetic engineering to take hold, and they breed a biological mistborn spaceship.

Mistborn Zerg :zerg:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
A regular person is able to burn Lerasium to become a Mistborn. Supposedly a Mistborn burning Lerasium produces an entirely different result. I'm curious if a regular person would be capable of burning Atium to become something other than a Mistborn?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think they burn the Lerasium, or if they do it's because metal burning is Leras' magic. I think Atium is just poisonous to someone without the ability to burn it.

Maybe they can eventually create synthetic Lerasium and make it like a retro-virus.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think a normal person burning atium won't have anything special happen, atium used in hemalurgy is apparently very potent though.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Lift needs to get feruchemy so she can fuel her awesomeness beyond what her body could naturally store.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Screw that, Lift needs Breath. At LEAST enough for her to actually belch rainbows.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lift needs to go away and never be heard from again. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lift needs to end up in the urban fantasy mistborn series.

Because she's so '80s.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

Lift needs to go away and never be heard from again. :colbert:

hate to break it to you but iirc she's a confirmed major POV for the second half of the Stormlight Archive

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I know. :smith:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Isn't there also a gap of a few years between book 5 and 6? If her character voice stays at 13 while the character is 18-20ish, then we'll really have hit anime territory.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Isn't there also a gap of a few years between book 5 and 6? If her character voice stays at 13 while the character is 18-20ish, then we'll really have hit anime territory.

in all honesty I'm expecting her to turn into a legitimately cool character (she is already imo) as she gets a little more serious

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

She's actually like 11-12, right? 1.1 Roshar years to 1 Earthyear?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Tunicate posted:

She's actually like 11-12, right? 1.1 Roshar years to 1 Earthyear?

I thought it was 1 roshan year = 1.1 earthyear actually.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Lift is basically early Vin, did anyone else notice? It's not like Vin didn't turn out cool a book or two later.

I quite liked her.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Maybe? I can never keep that straight.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I googled it, apparantly there were already some fans who calculated everything, see think link: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/5662-list-ages-of-stormlight-characters/ .

For reference, it claims Lift is 14 in earth years.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Walh Hara posted:

500 / 365 = 1.3698630137 Earth-years in a Roshar-year.

Edit: I hadn't heard the part about hours-per-day and minutes-per-hour. That puts you closer to right, actually: (500*20*58) / (365*24*60) = 1.10350076104

Jorenko fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 28, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Lift is basically early Vin, did anyone else notice? It's not like Vin didn't turn out cool a book or two later.

I quite liked her.

Except she's not like Vin at all. Vin didn't sound like an after school. Cartoon character. :colbert:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lift is going to be awful as a main character, because Sanderson will try to write her as funny and/or witty, which is a terrible thing because Sanderson is not funny and/or witty. Like, someone really needs to be explain to him that he just isn't funny. He just doesn't seem to get it, since he keeps trying in every book. It's like he's under the impression that he's funny and continues trying to be so in his writing, but it's always so detrimental to its quality. The quality of his work would improve drastically if an editor would just explain to him and make sure he understands that his "dad humor" just isn't funny. Not "not funny in an ironic way", just straight up not remotely funny in any remotely interesting way and that he should stop trying to be something that he isn't.

Has he ever been asked in an interview if he understands that no-one finds his humourous characters humourous, or thinks his witty characters are witty?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I like Lift so you're wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Shakugan posted:

Has he ever been asked in an interview if he understands that no-one finds his humourous characters humourous, or thinks his witty characters are witty?

Wit's witty shut up :mad: