Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Levitate posted:

Who has the carry the heavy double hammock?

I will say eno is nice for this, as each part comes with it's own integrated stuff sack, I carry the hammock, you carry the bugnet and the rain fly.

Ropes4u posted:

My wife wants the vertex because it's for two. I am going to email Hennessy and see if they are going to make a double.

Are you happier in the hammock that you were in a tent?

it is vastly more comfortable, but there are tradeoffs, like was mentioned, you need trees or supports, so if you find yourself camping in the desert, or alpine region you may end up having to figure something out.

The only other downside is you need something under you if the temps are going to dip at night. This is easy to do with either a pad (which means a lot of fidgeting to get it right) or an underquilt (can be expensive) It is really nice to be cradled and cocooned in blankets though.

The doublenest is neat for two people, in the backyard. I can't imagine trying to sleep overnight with more than one person though. That $$$$ hammock you linked appears to be two separate hammocks sharing a single rainfly, so maybe it is more comfortable. But like I said, it is hilariously expensive.

ReverendCode fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've never slept in a hammock but won't the shared hammock swing back and forth every time your partner shifts positions?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

I've never slept in a hammock but won't the shared hammock swing back and forth every time your partner shifts positions?

It's less of a swing, and more that you can't shift without shifting your partner around.
As I said, it makes getting up to pee really annoying and you feel guilty doing so, but sometimes a guy gotta pee :shrug:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

alnilam posted:

As I said, it makes getting up to pee really annoying and you feel guilty doing so, but sometimes a guy gotta pee :shrug:

Keep an empty water bottle with you while you sleep

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

Keep an empty water bottle with you while you sleep

Serious answer to a (maybe?) joke response:
In my case, I was on a boat surrounded by other hammocks; the neighboring ones were about a foot away. Peeing into a bottle would have been awkward.
Could work in camping, but peeing in a bottle from laying down = major risk of loving up and getting it all over :(
Also what about ladies?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Wide-mouth bottles. Duh.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

alnilam posted:

Also what about ladies?

http://www.rei.com/product/407267/sani-fem-freshette-feminine-urinary-director

Really though I just happened to read a thread on a backpacking forum the other day where some of the older guys were talking about using bottles when they sleep because of the whole having to pee a lot when you're older and have an enlarged prostate blah blah

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Speleothing posted:

Wide-mouth bottles. Duh.

Piss in your Nalgene bottle.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oxford Comma posted:

Then it doubles as a hot water bottle for your feet at night

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

alnilam posted:

Serious answer to a (maybe?) joke response:
In my case, I was on a boat surrounded by other hammocks; the neighboring ones were about a foot away. Peeing into a bottle would have been awkward.
Could work in camping, but peeing in a bottle from laying down = major risk of loving up and getting it all over :(
Also what about ladies?

Only camp with the closest of friends. That way there's already a good chance they've seen your wiener already and it's no big deal. If they wake up and you make eye contact, smile and finish.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ReverendCode posted:

I will say eno is nice for this, as each part comes with it's own integrated stuff sack, I carry the hammock, you carry the bugnet and the rain fly.

it is vastly more comfortable, but there are tradeoffs, like was mentioned, you need trees or supports, so if you find yourself camping in the desert, or alpine region you may end up having to figure something out.

The only other downside is you need something under you if the temps are going to dip at night. This is easy to do with either a pad (which means a lot of fidgeting to get it right) or an underquilt (can be expensive) It is really nice to be cradled and cocooned in blankets though.

The doublenest is neat for two people, in the backyard. I can't imagine trying to sleep overnight with more than one person though. That $$$$ hammock you linked appears to be two separate hammocks sharing a single rainfly, so maybe it is more comfortable. But like I said, it is hilariously expensive.

First world problems, maybe I will stick with the tent. I figured with a hammock I could skip the sleeping pads which would equalize the cost difference between the tent and hammock.

But it looks so nice..
http://youtu.be/4uv22G9aACA

Edit: Hennessy said - One problem we have found is that two objects with weight will slide towards the center of the hammock so you and the other occupant will be right together in the hammock. This is alright for some couples but a lot of people find it hard to sleep as well this way. For long term use the hammocks are better as a solo shelter.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 25, 2014

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

If it works in the Arctic...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If you piss in a Nalgene and wake up to find it the color of fruit punch, you should probably see a doctor.

REI dividend chat: they don't sell wool dress socks do they? That's what I really need to keep buying since I keep wearing through them :(
edit: these http://www.smartwool.com/socks/dress.html?gender=9914 or any other brand's, i have some minus33s that work just as well

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So my fiance and I are gearing up to hike the AT. She has done a couple of months on the trail and this will be my first time on the AT. We are planning on getting married on the trail, which we are both excited for, but since this is my first time on the AT I could use some advice. She is a great source of information, I would just like to hear other peoples stories. I have a Kelty Coyote 80 as my pack, and got some great boots from REI. Besides the essentials, what else would you guys recommend to bring along?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I haven't done the AT but I hear you should wear a kilt

Not joking either, when it gets ridiculously humid and hot during the summer and you're hiking through the mid-atlantic region apparently they are much more comfortable and prevent chafing versus shorts

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I did the AT with my then girlfriend/now wife in 2011. It was a fantastic experience that we both want to repeat with our son one day. That being said, it is mostly a mental challenge after the first few weeks. If you are NOBOing, GA is where you meet all your fellow thru friends, then by VA you are super hikers, then a month after that you start to wish you were done with VA. PA to NY was pretty bland and I missed mountains, but by MA you are back in mountain mode with a lot fewer fellow hikers. The last few states get pretty challenging, but really pretty. The whites will bleed you financially and maybe other ways, and ME is just awesome, but more so after you finish and realize it. My GF and I had a few epic fights, cause the trail will test you some days. I proposed on Mt Greylock in MA near her university after an 18 mile day ending at the top.

Listen to your body, and fix issues asap. A rubbing sock in the morning can be a debilitating blister in the afternoon. Also, a minor injury is worth dealing with by taking a day or three in town hanging out. If you push it, you WILL be at home on your couch for three weeks or more healing and all your friends will be 2 states ahead of you. It is tough to stop for an injury, but usually worth it.

Have a budget of some $$ to spend on replacing/upgrading gear in the first few weeks. Stuff you brought will end up not used or breaking.

A USPS prepaid box mailed ahead a few weeks at a time is a nice portable storage unit for food and other consumables.

Also have a summer sleeping bag by VA or so, your 20F bag will suck in July to carry around. Swap back around NH or VT.

Read whiteblaze.net There is lots of good info on there.

Doing it with a partner helps in my opinion, you always have a friend to share the good and bad with. It is unlikely you will both want to quit on the same day so you will motivate as needed.

Have fun and take your time, but aim to be done by the beginning of Sept as the weather goes to poo poo fast in N Maine.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 26, 2014

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The whites will bleed you financially and maybe other ways,

Can you expand on what this, as far as finances go?

Thanks

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

beefnoodle posted:

Can you expand on what this, as far as finances go?

Thanks

The Hut system is a bit of a pain to negotiate. To be legit you have to either be one of the first 2 thru hikers to get work for stay, (you get leftovers and can sleep on the floor), or you have to have a reservation and pay around $100 per person/night. They can take more than 2 thru hikers for work for stay, but they do not have to. The alternatives are stealth camping in some sort-of-secret spots that the rangers are aware of, or hiking way off the trail to campgrounds. The huts are spaced as such that you have to do some real planning or big miles to avoid a stay.

The whites are also pretty exposed, so you need to keep a close watch on the weather, and white blazes are non existent, so you will want a map, not just the guide book like most thru hikers use.

In addition, budgeting about 2/3-3/4 of your total thru hike budget for north of the Mason Dixon is a safe bet.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
Just discovered this thread from the travel gear thread! I just started getting back in backpacking after about a 5 year hiatus. I'm out in Tucson, AZ and don't mind being added to the hike with a goon list! I have PMs.

But anyway, hello everyone! Glad to have found this thread! :wave:

EDIT: To contribute, here's me on top of Wasson Peak, the highest point in the Tucson Mountains.

Marxist Glue fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 27, 2014

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I did the AT with my then girlfriend/now wife in 2011. It was a fantastic experience that we both want to repeat with our son one day. That being said, it is mostly a mental challenge after the first few weeks.

A colleague of mine and I have talked from time to time about potentially doing the AT, not all in one go but in sections over a period of a few years (squeezing it in over vacation days). One of the things I've been a little worried about, though, is ticks/Lyme disease. I'm probably just being neurotic, but did you have any issues along these lines, especially in Pennsylvania and further north? If not, were there precautions you took (e.g., the timing for that part of the trail) or was it just something that didn't come up?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Folderol posted:

A colleague of mine and I have talked from time to time about potentially doing the AT, not all in one go but in sections over a period of a few years (squeezing it in over vacation days). One of the things I've been a little worried about, though, is ticks/Lyme disease. I'm probably just being neurotic, but did you have any issues along these lines, especially in Pennsylvania and further north? If not, were there precautions you took (e.g., the timing for that part of the trail) or was it just something that didn't come up?

Ticks are around all summer in PA (I've lived here my whole life), and most of them do not carry Lyme disease. But the risk is there. I've known a few people who have gotten it, but not many.

Wear thin, high wool socks and thin/light pants.
Check your ankles, legs, and groin every night or two at camp, or better yet, if you're not afraid of getting up on each others' bodies, check each other. I've always done fine just checking myself after any day out, but I haven't been in a "I'm out every day for multiple weeks" situation yet in this part of the country. If I did, I'd want a friend to help me check for bugs, and I wouldn't be shy about it.

edit: also, the CDC page on Lyme is a worthwhile read, though like most health + wilderness things it's overly cautious (rightfully so, they're trying to do their best to condense best practices to a very broad audience).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 27, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
2011 was bad for deer ticks. About a quarter of the hikers I new got Lymes and were treated. In some ways you are better off, in that you are aware and looking for exposure, and the treatment is doxy for 10 days. Wife and I got giardia instead. Fun times.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

2011 was bad for deer ticks. About a quarter of the hikers I new got Lymes and were treated. In some ways you are better off, in that you are aware and looking for exposure, and the treatment is doxy for 10 days. Wife and I got giardia instead. Fun times.

25% is a big number. Any sense of how they knew they were infected? Was it the rash or did other symptoms tip them off? Also, did they take a break from the AT to recover (I'm guessing yes) or did they get treatment afterward?

Sorry to hear about the giardia, that's another one I've been fortunate enough to miss out on (so far).

alnilam posted:

Ticks are around all summer in PA (I've lived here my whole life), and most of them do not carry Lyme disease. But the risk is there. I've known a few people who have gotten it, but not many.

Wear thin, high wool socks and thin/light pants.
Check your ankles, legs, and groin every night or two at camp, or better yet, if you're not afraid of getting up on each others' bodies, check each other. I've always done fine just checking myself after any day out, but I haven't been in a "I'm out every day for multiple weeks" situation yet in this part of the country. If I did, I'd want a friend to help me check for bugs, and I wouldn't be shy about it.

edit: also, the CDC page on Lyme is a worthwhile read, though like most health + wilderness things it's overly cautious (rightfully so, they're trying to do their best to condense best practices to a very broad audience).

Many thanks for the information / suggestions! The CDC page is pretty comprehensive, and links to an NIH page that's good as well. I hadn't realized symptoms could persist even with early treatment :smith: We'll probably wind up doing the section hikes in any event (or if we don't it won't be because of Lyme), but I do wish the information were more comforting.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 27, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
All the hikers I knew got the rash, and the fever knocked them out. Since everyone was already tipped off and expecting to get it, people assumed it was lymes and went to the nearest doc who would just toss them the 10 day doxy treatment. After about a week of little to no hiking they were back on the trail. Worse case you get no rash and no symptoms, but I hear that is rare. Of course a thru hiker friend of mine got lymes in Lincoln Park in Washington DC, so you can get it living in a city too.

Having a partner is also good as they can look at the areas you cannot.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Quick question for goons:

I was at REI yesterday and tried on a variety of packs. My wife has some backpacking experience, having done a few 3-5 day trips in college. We were thinking to start doing some weekend trips this spring, and so were looking in the 60-Liter range. The Osprey packs I tried on were my favorite, the Atmos and the Aether, and they were about in my price range.

The big plus for the Atmos appears to be the Airspeed suspension-- we live in Ohio and it can be fairly hot and humid around here. That all by itself is making me lean towards the Atmos 65. Is there a reason I should lean toward the Aether 60 or even 70? They are a bit more expensive, though they do seem to have more features. Not really sure if I would value those features or not, and I don't really have a feel for the difference in their suspension systems.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I was at REI yesterday and tried on a variety of packs. My wife has some backpacking experience, having done a few 3-5 day trips in college. We were thinking to start doing some weekend trips this spring, and so were looking in the 60-Liter range. The Osprey packs I tried on were my favorite, the Atmos and the Aether, and they were about in my price range.

The big plus for the Atmos appears to be the Airspeed suspension-- we live in Ohio and it can be fairly hot and humid around here. That all by itself is making me lean towards the Atmos 65. Is there a reason I should lean toward the Aether 60 or even 70? They are a bit more expensive, though they do seem to have more features. Not really sure if I would value those features or not, and I don't really have a feel for the difference in their suspension systems.

Dunno about those particular models, but for weekend trips, even 60-65 L is a smidge big IMO, so there's certainly no need to get the 70. I'm not saying don't get a 65L - you may want the extra space on a longer trip in the future someday, who knows. Just try not to succumb to the "I have extra room in my pack, I should pack more stuff" mind trick... I always do :doh: so I like having a smaller pack.

What kind of "features" does the Aether have over the Atmos? If you like the way the Atmos feels, that's the most important thing.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Get your sleeping bag, tent, and essentials first (first aid, cookware, etc) before buying a bag. That way you know roughly how much weight you will be carrying and how much space it takes up. This might allow you to get away with a smaller 50 liter (or less) pack.

Second piece of advice is if your torn between the two packs, get the one thats most comfortable. Not just on your back, but in use. Can you pack it without difficulty? Does it give you adequate organization? Is it something you can see yourself using for a long time, or will you be wishing you bought the other pack because of a particular feature you see being useful?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Did you try the bags on with weight in them to simulate a load? Usually REI has bean and sand bags to add weight and distribute it as if it were a real weighted pack.

Also consider longer trips. If all you do is weekenders then a 60L should be more than fine. If you do anything nearing a week then you might want something bigger.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Not that it should be a make or break point, but hip belt pockets are the bees knees, the bigger the better for candy bars and cameras and the like.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alright y'all, you've convinced me to go the "non-waterproof, quick drying trail runners for backpacking" route, or at least try it.

Tried some shoes on today and I'm leaning towards Salamon XA Pro 3d. Gonna sleep on it though.

Any last advice?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

alnilam posted:

Alright y'all, you've convinced me to go the "non-waterproof, quick drying trail runners for backpacking" route, or at least try it.

Tried some shoes on today and I'm leaning towards Salamon XA Pro 3d. Gonna sleep on it though.

Any last advice?

Good socks.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

All else being equal, go with the most comfortable, lightest, and smallest pack that you can fit your stuff into (in that order). What really helps when buying a pack is to just bring all your gear (including water/food) with you, and then loading it up and seeing what pack it fits best in, and which one is more comfortable. The beanbags that most stores have for weighing packs isn't that helpful since your gear is bulkier than them, and won't tell you if you enough or have too much room. 60L is a lot, so you may be surprised at which pack you end up with, maybe you can grab a 40 or 50 and still be okay.

alnilam posted:

Any last advice?
Light, quality merino wool socks, no liners. It will feel glorious. You'll still probably have to take a thicker pair for sleeping in though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Not that it should be a make or break point, but hip belt pockets are the bees knees, the bigger the better for candy bars and cameras and the like.

Belt pockets are the only thing I wish my twenty year old external frame (130L) pack had. I'm so jealous of them.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sew some on yourself

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Saint Fu posted:

Sew some on yourself

Hell, I should have thought of that. This guy seems to make cool affordable ones, also ones for shoulder straps http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/hip-belt-pockets.html

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

mastershakeman posted:

Hell, I should have thought of that. This guy seems to make cool affordable ones, also ones for shoulder straps http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/hip-belt-pockets.html

I have two of these that I bought but never use: http://gossamergear.com/hip-belt-pockets.html. If you want them, they're yours, just PM me your address and I'll send them your way.

For Bud Manstrong: Yes, I just enabled someone to keep a 130L pack. Goodbye ultralight street cred.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I can't even imagine a 130L pack

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I'm in the same boat and have been leaning towards the Atmos as well...the Aether 60 come in at about one lb heavier than the Atmos 65 without a whole lot of extra to justify it. The only real advantages I've found with the Aether is the external hydration pack sleeve and a reinforced hipbelt. The size of the Atmos gives some flexibility towards use for both overnights and multi-day trips while still having a weight (3 lbs ~9 oz) comparable to a lot of ~50L.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now you guys have me nervous. Will a 65L pack be big enough for 5 days in Yosemite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Internet Explorer posted:

Now you guys have me nervous. Will a 65L pack be big enough for 5 days in Yosemite?

Yes. Some people get by with much less for longer trips. If five days of gear won't fit into a 65L pack, then you're packing too much crap.