Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Krakkles posted:

I agree completely. He should've just passed her, rather than pulling alongside and flipping her off, but other than that, most of the wrong is squarely in the video taker's lap.

Yeah, even the most basic of idiots know you gotta hold the phone sideways so the video will fill the youtube player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That video feels so good, man. Its not a three lane highway. If its two lanes Im not going to assume left lane = faster, Im going to assume left lane = has a turn coming up. Ive gotten stuck behind plenty of people keeping pace with each other, its not worth sticking your middle finger out. Back off the gas and relax.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Crankit posted:

Yeah, even the most basic of idiots know you gotta hold the phone sideways so the video will fill the youtube player.

In her defense, it is more comfortable to hold the phone vertically if you're shooting blindly behind you and to the side with one hand while the other is on the steering wheel. It's still a stupid fad or oversight, though.

That's why I have a dash cam so I can record people doing stupid poo poo while I have both hands on the wheel like a safe and responsible driver. Still, no one around here in central New Jersey does nearly as stupid poo poo like that behind me that would warrant getting a rear camera.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Kilersquirrel posted:

In that vein, some sweet karmic bro-truck justice here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqZoaWKv2k

I am prefectly OK with the lady was driving. Yeah she could have been going faster, but it did appear she was at least maintaining a consistent speed and was passing two trucks in the right hand lane. Also, according to the youtube description, she was going to be turning left soon. She's not driver of the year material but the bro-truck driver is just plain being an rear end in a top hat throughout the entire video. I'm quite impressed he didn't hit the white pickup or sideswipe her car during his overzealous maneuvers.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I saw somebody swerve into those water barrels at a freeway exit yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out what situation in life would make that preferable to just taking the wrong exit?

Also, thanks to this thread, I've now started to notice just how many people are trying to kill me on my daily commute. So thanks for lowering my monthly Starbucks bill.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am prefectly OK with the lady was driving. Yeah she could have been going faster, but it did appear she was at least maintaining a consistent speed and was passing two trucks in the right hand lane. Also, according to the youtube description, she was going to be turning left soon.

I agree, and after brotruck does it's brospin across four lanes into a treebro, you can see she pulls into a left turn lane, presumably to make the left she was planning on. This also doesn't appear to be a highway. It's something closer to a county road. I'm not sure if keep right except to pass applies to county roads or in my state, I presume it's different everywhere. I always keep right for the most part regardless, but if I've got a left coming up I'm keeping my lane because lord knows by the time I've got to make a move, some assbro will be blocking my lane change.

Also, I really don't have too much a problem with someone holding a phone while driving. It's not really what you're holding so much as where your attention is when driving, and given her performance at keeping the subject centered in frame, I'm gonna say she was giving it little attention.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 28, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I agree, and after brotruck does it's brospin across four lanes into a treebro, you can see she pulls into a left turn lane, presumably to make the left she was planning on. This also doesn't appear to be a highway. It's something closer to a county road. I'm not sure if keep right except to pass applies to county roads or in my state, I presume it's different everywhere. I always keep right for the most part regardless, but if I've got a left coming up I'm keeping my lane because lord knows by the time I've got to make a move, some assbro will be blocking my lane change.

Also, I really don't have too much a problem with someone holding a phone while driving. It's not really what you're holding so much as where your attention is when driving, and given her performance at keeping the subject centered in frame, I'm gonna say she was giving it little attention.

According to the description, she had a left turn in about half a mile, and wasn't even looking at the guy when he was beside her. She says she didn't even see the finger until she played the video.

Brotruck was in the wrong, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Someone get this woman a proper dashcam, she's served her time in hell.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
She travelled for about a minute in the far left lane while not moving over to let him pass when she had the opportunity, and it's not like the traffic would prevent her from getting back in the lane when she needed to. She trolled the poo poo out of the bro-douche just to piss him off, gently caress that ho.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Why is it her responsibility to drive the way he wants? She's (assumedly) doing the speed limit, she's moving fast enough to pass trucks in the right hand lane. Unless she's purposefully speeding up whenever he tries to pass, (Which it doesn't appear so, since she didn't when he passed her) she's doing all that she needs to. If you want to go faster than the person in front of you, the onus is on you to get around them. Doubly so if you wanna break the law to do so.

That being said, if this happened in Georgia, with that loving braindead law they just passed, she would be in the wrong, but gently caress him anyway. :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Horse Divorce posted:

According to the description, she had a left turn in about half a mile, and wasn't even looking at the guy when he was beside her. She says she didn't even see the finger until she played the video.

Brotruck was in the wrong, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Someone get this woman a proper dashcam, she's served her time in hell.
Description is from her point of view and necessarily biased.

She traveled approximately two miles in that lane, as far as we can see in the video, I'm sure it started before that, and she was willfully trying to screw with him.

Basically, this:

EightBit posted:

She travelled for about a minute in the far left lane while not moving over to let him pass when she had the opportunity, and it's not like the traffic would prevent her from getting back in the lane when she needed to. She trolled the poo poo out of the bro-douche just to piss him off, gently caress that ho.

Edit:

Captain Bravo posted:

Why is it her responsibility to drive the way he wants? She's (assumedly) doing the speed limit, she's moving fast enough to pass trucks in the right hand lane. Unless she's purposefully speeding up whenever he tries to pass, (Which it doesn't appear so, since she didn't when he passed her) she's doing all that she needs to. If you want to go faster than the person in front of you, the onus is on you to get around them. Doubly so if you wanna break the law to do so.

That being said, if this happened in Georgia, with that loving braindead law they just passed, she would be in the wrong, but gently caress him anyway. :v:
If she had moved over, that accident would not have happened, and nothing bad would have happened to her. Except less internet cred.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 28, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Captain Bravo posted:

There are laws for "left for passing only" in many states, and it's considered a common loving courtesy regardless.

The description mentioned that she was afraid to spin out, but you aren't going to do that just changing lanes.

Bro-douche shouldn't tailgate and should learn his vehicle's limits, but she shouldn't drive with a stick up her rear end.

Edit: of course she disabled comments :allears:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Seriously.

Jesus, when did AI get so ... not AI?

If you're in the left lane and you're not immediately turning, move over and let people pass. Let bro trucks get tickets for you.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

If she had moved over, that accident would not have happened, and nothing bad would have happened to her. Except less internet cred.
The accident happened because the dude was being an aggressive rear end, cut her off and lost control while doing so.

Krakkles posted:

If you're in the left lane and you're not immediately turning, move over and let people pass. Let bro trucks get tickets for you.
This is nonsense, driving the speed limit in the left lane in a 2 lane street isn't going to get anyone a ticket. What world do you live in that you expect everyone to only occupy the right lane all the time unless theyre going to turn immediately?

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 28, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

EightBit posted:

There are laws for "left for passing only" in many states, and it's considered a common loving courtesy regardless.

The description mentioned that she was afraid to spin out, but you aren't going to do that just changing lanes.

Bro-douche shouldn't tailgate and should learn his vehicle's limits, but she shouldn't drive with a stick up her rear end.

Edit: of course she disabled comments :allears:

In addition to this, most states have laws against being an impediment to traffic flow. These are generally what prohibit your 30mpg top speed moped from being allowed on a 60mph freeway, since the slow moped will be an impediment to others on the freeway. These laws also imply that if someone is crawling up your rear end, you should pull over to let them by, since they are now defining the flow of traffic.

I forget exactly where, but somewhere out on or near the East coast, there was a huge traffic pileup recently, and as a result, it became state law that you must pull over if someone comes up behind you traveling faster than you are, even if you are doing the speed limit. The maximum fine for violating this was something insane like $1000 and/or a year in jail.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

The accident happened because the dude was being an aggressive rear end, cut her off and lost control while doing so.
Oh, I agree, but if she had've driven with what most people (and indeed, even some states laws) consider common courtesy, it wouldn't have happened. It's far from consistent across states, but here's a decent sampling (warning: I did not check his/her sources) of what the laws look like.

When I drive, if I'm blocking someone from passing on the left, I move over. A lot of people consider that common courtesy, and I'm certainly not the one to enforce speed limits. Nor is she, nor are you.

Cage posted:

This is nonsense, driving the speed limit in the left lane in a 2 lane street isn't going to get anyone a ticket. What world do you live in that you expect everyone to only occupy the right lane all the time unless theyre going to turn immediately?
That's not at all what I said.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Both people in the video are loving idiots, news at 11, don't make me hand out a stack of probations in here.

I've discovered that if I leave home too early in the morning, I get all of the crazies. The real fun part is you never know if it's someone who isn't going to see you or yield when you should... or if it's going to be a high school driver who thinks she's doing the right thing by stopping in her lane of traffic (when she has right of way) to let me merge in front of her. Took me longer to figure out why the gently caress she was stopping than it would have to merge behind her like I intended to do.

:sigh: My daughter's sweet 16 is gonna be at Bondurant.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
God drat, I know exactly how to spark an AI argument in the future now.

And of course they're both idiots, it happened in Tampa for chrissakes. Go look at all the dumbass and insane news stories that come out of Florida - 70% of them are going to be from Tampa/Tampa metro area. It's like a hellmouth except it pours out dumbfucks instead of demons.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

IOwnCalculus posted:

:sigh: My daughter's sweet 16 is gonna be at Bondurant.

Father of the year?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, no poo poo. Wanna adopt me?

I can't wait until I've got some vacation time and cash saved up so I can go to a couple performance driving schools. Seems like something I should probably do before I buy a nice sports car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Here in CT we have cars for hire, or basically private limos. They can range from your typical Buick sedan to a full fledged fuckin' limo. All of these vehicles have license plates that start, and end, with "L."

For some reason, ALL of the cars I've encountered with these types of plates feel it is socially acceptable to sit in the left lane going 60, completely oblivious to the rest of humanity. gently caress all those guys. This exact scenario played out about 10 minutes ago on my way to work. Quit being a oval office and get the gently caress over.

Sincerely,
The mile long line of cars you held up this morning.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

GramCracker posted:

Here in CT we have cars for hire, or basically private limos. They can range from your typical Buick sedan to a full fledged fuckin' limo. All of these vehicles have license plates that start, and end, with "L."

For some reason, ALL of the cars I've encountered with these types of plates feel it is socially acceptable to sit in the left lane going 60, completely oblivious to the rest of humanity. gently caress all those guys. This exact scenario played out about 10 minutes ago on my way to work. Quit being a oval office and get the gently caress over.

Sincerely,
The mile long line of cars you held up this morning.

Livery car drivers. Don't get me started. I thought it was just me that hated these guys.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've discovered that if I leave home too early in the morning, I get all of the crazies. The real fun part is you never know if it's someone who isn't going to see you or yield when you should... or if it's going to be a high school driver who thinks she's doing the right thing by stopping in her lane of traffic (when she has right of way) to let me merge in front of her. Took me longer to figure out why the gently caress she was stopping than it would have to merge behind her like I intended to do.
This is really the worst kind of driver, because while it completely cocks up the traffic flow and leads to confusion among everyone else.. At the same time you can't really be angry with them because most of the time they're just inexperienced drivers trying to be nice.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Collateral Damage posted:

This is really the worst kind of driver, because while it completely cocks up the traffic flow and leads to confusion among everyone else.. At the same time you can't really be angry with them because most of the time they're just inexperienced drivers trying to be nice.

Road to hell, paved with good intentions

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The city I live in has a ton of turning lanes. Tons of them. The entire point of them is to provide a perfect area to place your vehicle as you wait for oncoming traffic to pass so you can make your turn safely, without impeding traffic behind you. They are a luxury and I am thankful for them.

Why, then, do so many cars put on their left blinker (while still in the travel lane), slow, slow, slow, slow down until they're nearly stopped and at their turn, THEN lurch over into the turning lane? It defeats the entire purpose of them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

The Midniter posted:

The city I live in has a ton of turning lanes. Tons of them. The entire point of them is to provide a perfect area to place your vehicle as you wait for oncoming traffic to pass so you can make your turn safely, without impeding traffic behind you. They are a luxury and I am thankful for them.

Why, then, do so many cars put on their left blinker (while still in the travel lane), slow, slow, slow, slow down until they're nearly stopped and at their turn, THEN lurch over into the turning lane? It defeats the entire purpose of them.

This right here is the number one thing I despise while driving. My city decided to put in a half mile long dual (er, both directions) left turn lane, stretching literally from one intersection to the next and people constantly abuse this loving thing. Some people choose to make their left turn from the straight through lane, some pull all the way over into the oncoming left-turn lane, many drivers pull into the turn lane and just drive straight through the entire loving lane.

As an added bonus, south of the intersection the same lovely dual turn lane continues (but it's unmarked, so NOBODY uses it) there is a special intersection. At 32nd and Rock Road, It's not a 4 way, when exiting the subway to the west of the intersection, there is no signal. . . That means everyone who is trying to follow the rules gets the added fun of watching someone tear out of the subway parking lot as soon as your light turns green.

Of course, there is one last reason why this part of town sucks balls, look at the east bound exit from K-96, it features the most confusing traffic scheme ever, dual right turn lanes. Is it legal to make a right turn on red from the second right turn lane? Nobody knows! Most drivers (including myself) make the turn from the middle lane but there is still plenty of road rage at that intersection.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

trouser chili posted:

Seconding this, I used to be of the opinion "sure, hit me rear end in a top hat and we'll let the police sort it out." Until I got hit twice in the summer of 2011 (minor fender benders, one guy tried to pass me on a shoulder and ran out of room, the other changed lanes into me without signaling or checking his mirror) and in both cases the responding officer said there wasn't enough evidence to rule who was at fault and called both no-fault accidents - which is the same as an at-fault accident for insurance purposes.

So any time I have some rear end clown pulling poo poo like this I get my phone out and start recording so I'll have video evidence in the event they cause an accident. As long as you're not focused on high production values for a video that you're probably just going to end up deleting anyways you can drive safely with only one hand on the wheel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crotch Fruit posted:

As an added bonus, south of the intersection the same lovely dual turn lane continues (but it's unmarked, so NOBODY uses it) there is a special intersection. At 32nd and Rock Road, It's not a 4 way, when exiting the subway to the west of the intersection, there is no signal. . . That means everyone who is trying to follow the rules gets the added fun of watching someone tear out of the subway parking lot as soon as your light turns green.

There's the exact same situation on my commute, a parking lot exit right into a three-way intersection. I've seen more dicey situations there than anywhere else in the entire Copenhagen area.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

This right here is the number one thing I despise while driving. My city decided to put in a half mile long dual (er, both directions) left turn lane, stretching literally from one intersection to the next and people constantly abuse this loving thing. Some people choose to make their left turn from the straight through lane, some pull all the way over into the oncoming left-turn lane, many drivers pull into the turn lane and just drive straight through the entire loving lane.

Of course, there is one last reason why this part of town sucks balls, look at the east bound exit from K-96, it features the most confusing traffic scheme ever, dual right turn lanes. Is it legal to make a right turn on red from the second right turn lane? Nobody knows! Most drivers (including myself) make the turn from the middle lane but there is still plenty of road rage at that intersection.

I'll admit to abusing the gently caress out the turn lanes on Rock road like this because holy loving poo poo everyone on the east side drives like an old grandma. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat passing you on the far right in the turn lane at Kellogg and Rock :sigh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Black88GTA posted:

Livery car drivers. Don't get me started. I thought it was just me that hated these guys.

Nope, those mother fuckers do the same thing up here. Livery cars cruising around at 5 under the limit in the left lane thinking they look pimp as gently caress, or something, I dunno. Move the hell over or speed the hell up I don't care which.

It's gotten to the point where I can be cruising down i90 and crest a hill... look down the road to the next hilltop and see:
50% of traffic is in the left lane, bumper to bumper, playing human caterpillar
45% is in the middle lane, somewhat busy
5% in the right lane.

You better loving bet I'm passing on the right.

This morning I high beamed someone in a Honda crossover of some sort on i95 because they were pacing the guy in the middle lane for like five miles. They took forever to move over and then flashed me a thumbs up while glaring at me as I passed them because apparently this was all my fault. So I gave them a thumbs down and kept on going... they decided to tailgate me and flash their lights at me repeatedly.

Fortunately they couldn't drive for poo poo so I lost them and continued on my way. The hell is wrong with people?

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 28, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Father of the year?

Galler posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. Wanna adopt me?

I've got 14+ years to save up for that!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kastein posted:

They decided to tailgate me and flash their lights at me repeatedly.

Fortunately they couldn't drive for poo poo so I lost them and continued on my way. The hell is wrong with people?

I've got auto-dimming mirrors :toot: I love when people flash brights behind me. Does jack poo poo and you look like a moron.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GramCracker posted:

I've got auto-dimming mirrors :toot: I love when people flash brights behind me. Does jack poo poo and you look like a moron.
I have limo tint, and most high-beams look like dimmed low beams. If they actually have decent lights, I don't have an auto dimmer, but a dimmer switch ain't exactly difficult to reach, at least. ...and the backup lights that are going in are bright as gently caress, too

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 28, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I've never been asked to do this during a stop, which is good since I can't even do it sober.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
I've always imagined it was more of a chance for the officer to get a read on your speech patterns than a real memory test. If you're concentrating on getting the letters right, you'll probably forget to control your slurring :v:

Also gently caress that guy forever.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

blk posted:

I've never been asked to do this during a stop, which is good since I can't even do it sober.

The correct answer is "Officer, I can't. Only drunk people try."

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Those tests are designed to make you fail. Refuse them if you can.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here's a secret (not really): a lot of those tests are designed to see if you follow instructions.
For example: take three steps on the white line, turn around, and take three more steps.
Sober person: Takes three steps, turns around, takes three more steps.
Drunk person: Focus entirely on keeping feet on the white line (and maybe be okay at it) but keep walking and forget the turn around instruction.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
BC is chock full of loving lovely drivers. The local news is featuring some of the great dashcam compilations that are from that region.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=314968

This guy does the compilations: https://www.youtube.com/user/xSupaD

Here's a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzx5PpZAyl0

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I despise driving in the Vancouver area overall. Not that I'm an expert, but every time I go up there driving kind of sucks. I guess you have to balance that trademark Canadian friendliness with rear end in a top hat driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The truck driver in the last clip swears like a true Canadian...in both official languages. :canada: