Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Zero One posted:

:stare: Spy-craft isn't all glamorous

We heard every millisecond of that man crappin'.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That Mossad guy is an interesting character. I love this interaction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Language, Adult Situations, Graphic Pooping

Viewer Discretion Is Advised

e: So this episode is an extra half hour? Or whole hour?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

precision posted:

e: So this episode is an extra half hour? Or whole hour?

Extra fifteen minutes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh hey, new Fargo preview. drat that show is looking good as hell. Gotta remember to make the OP next week.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
ARPANET

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
gently caress this is brutal. Philip's gonna let him go, isn't he?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

precision posted:

Access to the ARPANET is pretty tempting.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

This Oleg is a player

precision posted:

Tonight on a very special The Americans. . . *plop*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:tviv:

Well now Stan knows Nina is playing him... this is going to get intense.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No, he doesn't. He thinks that Oleg knows that Nina is an agent. Stan still doesn't know that she is a double.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zero One posted:

No, he doesn't. He thinks that Oleg knows that Nina is an agent. Stan still doesn't know that she is a double.

Oh, duh, I forgot the specifics of the later part of last season. Never mind.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Oh, duh, I forgot the specifics of the later part of last season. Never mind.

That guy is probably going to get killed by Stan to protect Nina, who will then use that to forcibly turn him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You could just sense when Phil and Mossad Guy were having that chat about homelands that during the writer's meeting for that episode, the head writer said "now, before we get started, whoever suggests that one of them should say 'we're not so different, you and I' gets transferred to George Lopez's new sitcom."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
For a moment at the end there I thought Leonid was going to try to throw himself overboard the ship or hang himself. Sucks for him.

Why was the episode longer? Why can't all episodes be ~50 minutes and be HBO length?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

drunkill posted:

Why can't all episodes be ~50 minutes and be HBO length?

Because FX has to have commercials.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I thought Beeman might kill Oleg right at the port, but of course that would've been a risky move with his lack of information.

The radio news Arkady was listening to at the end was sad. My dad was also punished for leaving his country the "ballsy" way while others who just hid and waited it out were officially forgiven.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I thought it was heartbreaking, too :smith:

It served as a good reminder that Philip and Elizabeth are still monsters under that nice suburban exterior

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Twee as gently caress posted:

I thought it was heartbreaking, too :smith:

It served as a good reminder that Philip and Elizabeth are still monsters under that nice suburban exterior

At least telling the Mossad agent that he would make it home for Passover during the hand-off helped Phillip show the professor that he got sold by his own people, that everyone is a loving monster. :unsmith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've always wanted to see Baal take a poo poo.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh good, you managed to find a way to make that scene more disturbing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Yeah, that scene in the car was pretty intense. You could tell it was getting to Phillip.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah, that scene in the car was pretty intense. You could tell it was getting to Phillip.

It was only getting to him because he wondered if he'd be the same way if he were ever caught and faced with the reality of Paige and Henry growing up disgraced. At least the scientist's family would just think he was dead.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
I was really hoping at the end that the scientist would look out the port hole and see some palm trees in Israel. But I guess it's actually just :smith:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

lol was that really him

also, that meeting at the docks was amazing

hahaha.

"Clark has some explaining to do"
"*sighs* I'll let him know"

that made me laugh pretty hard

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

hey history people, what would Anton the scientists' life be like back in the Soviet Union?

Are we talking torture, house arrest, or just a "go work in the goddamn fields"? Or would they coerce him into building the same technology for them?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Dr_Strangelove posted:

This Oleg is a player

I love his character, he's so cocky in ignoring Arkady's anger and simply doing whatever the gently caress he wants. And he's actually smart and competent, unlike the normal useless twat put into a cushy job with family connections. He probably underestimates Nina quite badly and he may end up in Siberia or with a bullet in the head by the end of the season if he thinks he's got her under control.

His Citroen DS is also a great character touch.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Narcissus1916 posted:

hey history people, what would Anton the scientists' life be like back in the Soviet Union?

Are we talking torture, house arrest, or just a "go work in the goddamn fields"? Or would they coerce him into building the same technology for them?

Prison laboratory. At least until Gorbachev started freeing political prisoners as part of Glasnost.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 28, 2014

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
Is anyone else wondering what Paige wanted to tell Elizabeth, or do you think it was typical teenage stuff? I was thinking for a minute that she's figured something out about her parents.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hoopy Frood posted:

Is anyone else wondering what Paige wanted to tell Elizabeth, or do you think it was typical teenage stuff? I was thinking for a minute that she's figured something out about her parents.

Typical teenage stuff for sure. Paige was trying to talk about a hole in her life that she thinks religion can fill, and Elizabeth just didn't have a clue what she was trying to say. That's really all there was to the scene.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

CeeJee posted:

His Citroen DS is also a great character touch.

That is a sweet ride.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Can anyone possibly briefly explain what was going on in the carnival scene when Phillip was pulled in by the other directorate S agents to do a handoff? Who were the people that were following and what was the general premise? Is that something I should have figured out from the context, or was the ambiguity intentional? Thanks

Really did not understand what happened in that scene, and feeling a bit lost about understanding what went down afterwards

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

thehacker0 posted:

Can anyone possibly briefly explain what was going on in the carnival scene when Phillip was pulled in by the other directorate S agents to do a handoff? Who were the people that were following and what was the general premise? Is that something I should have figured out from the context, or was the ambiguity intentional? Thanks

Really did not understand what happened in that scene, and feeling a bit lost about understanding what went down afterwards

It hasn't been revealed yet who was following and who killed the other directorate S family. There's definitely some ambiguity about different facets of the whole situation: were the other couple trying to deflect the heat onto Phil & Liz? was it a U.S. organization that killed them, Russians, or an unknown third party?

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Narcissus1916 posted:

imo, Best case scenario would be house arrest + working on Soviet projects under duress, or death, vs. prison, working as a janitor or being arrested for being unemployed because he was fired for being a dissident. :ussr: Even after the collapse some Jewish scientists, and scientists that worked in sensitive Soviet fields (space industry in particular), had trouble emigrating.

For people interested in the topic here are some articles from the era:

A article from 1981: Refusenik; MARK AZBEL: A SOVIET CITIZEN'S FIGHT FOR FREEDOM

"It is almost impossible for refuseniks to find work in their fields, and even menial jobs as doormen are in jeopardy if it is discovered that they are really laid-off Jewish physicists, chemists, or computer scientists. For applying to emigrate, they are fired; for not having a job, they are arrested."

1990: "Many scientists once denied emigration have now left the USSR, but others are still unable to obtain exit visas. Yuri Magarshack is doing science again. Today, he is an assistant researcher in the chemistry department at New York University. Yet for an 11-year period that ended last spring, the theoretical physicist was struggling to endure life as a refusenik - a Soviet citizen, usually Jewish, who is denied permission to emigrate. Dismissed from his job as head of a laboratory in Leningrad."

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

savinhill posted:

It hasn't been revealed yet who was following and who killed the other directorate S family. There's definitely some ambiguity about different facets of the whole situation: were the other couple trying to deflect the heat onto Phil & Liz? was it a U.S. organization that killed them, Russians, or an unknown third party?

Is it clear what the point of that little operation in the carnival was? To me it seemed that the guy they picked up the package off (who was being followed) was going to come meet them, but since he had a tail, they needed to do a brush pass?

Finding out who killed that family seems to be a major plot point, and i am kinda suspicious of Igor or whatever his name is (the new hot shot residentura). Fascinating character actually.

Anyone else think that this week's episode was one of the better ones this season?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought it was clear that Elizabeth's recon was leading in a positive direction. It just would have made things too muddled to deal with it this week beyond her getting the file.

Her reprise as Clark's sister was glorious. The only potential fallout is for her to demand kinkier poo poo in the bedroom. I'm also glad to see Martha humanized somewhat, even if she's probably toast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Suddenly I'm no longer laughing at how funny the word "refusenik" is. :smith:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lol i thought that word was hilarious too dont worry.

i love this show btw.

last night I was thinking how its pretty cool how half the time I forget that the embassy guys are even on the same side as Elizabeth and Philip (btw, are they named after british monarchs intentionally?)

really liked the scene at the docks a lot, that was just so awesome and so well done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

He'd most likely be taken (provided he calmed down and played ball) to a 'closed' town like Arzamas-16 (today known as Sarov), which even to this day is their Los Alamos and remains closed. They'd want to get the best value out of him, and making him work in a lovely room in a prison doesn't work as well as placing him with other scientists in his field and telling them to ingratiate themselves and persuade him to teach them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_city

These are towns/cities that are literally surrounded by nothing. Escape or ex-filtration is nigh-impossible, but unlike Siberia, if you do your job, you get to be bored and well-fed as opposed to being bored, freezing, and starving. You were also able to leave the perimeter, not that you had many places to go.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When you read about some of these decisions that Russia thought were actually good ideas in the goddamn late 1900s you wonder how they were ever considered a real actual threat, and/or how they ever got anything done at all.

I mean Jesus Christ you don't fire your super-scientists because they believe in some harmless funny thing this is like Civilization 101 people. It would be like America firing every scientist that's an atheist.

• Locked thread