Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Choadmaster posted:

Whether the garlic stays "raw" or not is irrelevant. Bacteria die (or growth is inhibited) based on the temperature (and time at temperature). Clostridium Botulinum doesn't grow under 50 degrees F. or over 122 degrees F. Other bacteria have similar ranges, plus or minus a few degrees. So long as you're through the danger zone and into the 132+ degree range in a reasonable time, there should be nothing to worry about. (Bacillus Cereus survives to 131 and is the most common culprit in "food poisoning.") The FDA is a little conservative and recommends 135.

I am not an expert, do your own research before performing any actions that may be construed as "eating." Illness and death by "eating" are solely the reader's responsibility.

Yeah the "raw" bit was really more about flavor, responding to the initial flavor comment, and I could have phrased that more clearly.

At the same time, knowing that killing the bacteria doesn't destroy the Botulinum toxin always makes me cautious when dealing with raw garlic and any significant time in the danger zone, so I tend to be pretty conservative on that front. But yeah I don't want to spread bad info so I'll keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, I had a bag somehow get a hole in it in my puddle this morning. I think the vac seal failed.

Goodbye Corned Beef Brisket, you had so much potential.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not gonna lie, I would probably eat wet corned beef. It was traditionally made by simmering/boiling in open water anyway. Or was there a contaminant?

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Made kenji's carrot recipe (carrots, butter, sugar, s+p one hour at 183, the into hot pan). They tasted like carrots. Idiot proof, but probably not worth the hassle.

Anyone have any veggie recs?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

Not gonna lie, I would probably eat wet corned beef. It was traditionally made by simmering/boiling in open water anyway. Or was there a contaminant?

Not sure, it basically turned into a gray mushy mess in the bag floating in something that looked like milk but smelled like beef.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Never mind then, sorry! That sounds awful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Plinkey posted:

Ugh, I had a bag somehow get a hole in it in my puddle this morning. I think the vac seal failed.

Goodbye Corned Beef Brisket, you had so much potential.
Double-bagging for long cook times should be in the OP - I double bag for all extended cooks. I've always puddled for either less than two hours or more than 12 hours so the distinction is usually pretty clear. I am truly sorry for your lots.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I pasteurize avocado, can I refrigerate them after and use them the next day? I have a vague fear that heating them will accelerate the ripening/rotting process and I'll have a mess on my hands.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If I pasteurize avocado, can I refrigerate them after and use them the next day? I have a vague fear that heating them will accelerate the ripening/rotting process and I'll have a mess on my hands.

It's oxidation that ruins your avocado not bacteria but seriously just try it, the worst thing that can happen is you have an avocadoweight of botutoxin.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

If I pasteurize avocado

:raise:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

No Wave posted:

Double-bagging for long cook times should be in the OP - I double bag for all extended cooks. I've always puddled for either less than two hours or more than 12 hours so the distinction is usually pretty clear. I am truly sorry for your lots.

I've seen reference to really needing a vac sealer for long cooks, as opposed to ziploc'ing. True fact or malicious marketing ploy on the part of Big Vacuum?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

I've seen reference to really needing a vac sealer for long cooks, as opposed to ziploc'ing. True fact or malicious marketing ploy on the part of Big Vacuum?

I use bread/freezer bags without ziploc for everything. Submerge most of it, then tie a knot. They are very thin so at high temps (like doing carrots at 83C, which I think is worth the effort) or long cooks, I guess some of the contents go through the bag by osmosis. Can't really see it in the water but I can smell it. I double bagged a 48 hour round once, it was completely tight.

One thing I like about these type of bags is that I can cut away the knot, drain the juices to make gravy and then put the meat back in to keep warm. I use a rice cooker so I just leave the now opened bag hanging by the lid.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

I thought the point of heating them was to stop that process from happening. If that is not the case - why are you pasteurizing your avocados?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Ola posted:

I use bread/freezer bags without ziploc for everything. Submerge most of it, then tie a knot. They are very thin so at high temps (like doing carrots at 83C, which I think is worth the effort) or long cooks, I guess some of the contents go through the bag by osmosis. Can't really see it in the water but I can smell it. I double bagged a 48 hour round once, it was completely tight.

One thing I like about these type of bags is that I can cut away the knot, drain the juices to make gravy and then put the meat back in to keep warm. I use a rice cooker so I just leave the now opened bag hanging by the lid.

I am slightly concerned those bags are not intended to be heated. Good on you if you've already researched it, if not, heads up goon buddy.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

No Wave posted:

I thought the point of heating them was to stop that process from happening. If that is not the case - why are you pasteurizing your avocados?

It stops or at least slows down the browning that happens when you expose them to air. I thought that was a different process than ripening. My knowledge of the chemistry of this stuff is pretty much limited to what I've read in GWS.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

geetee posted:

I am slightly concerned those bags are not intended to be heated. Good on you if you've already researched it, if not, heads up goon buddy.

I can't say I've researched it, but so far so good. Have hardly ever used anything else, have not died. It could be that the higher temp of 83C is what causes some volatiles from the carrots to pass through while all the beef juices stay in at 58C. You would need go well above boiling temp to do any actual damage to the plastic.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ola posted:

I can't say I've researched it, but so far so good. Have hardly ever used anything else, have not died. It could be that the higher temp of 83C is what causes some volatiles from the carrots to pass through while all the beef juices stay in at 58C. You would need go well above boiling temp to do any actual damage to the plastic.

When I did 72 hour short ribs they were double bagged in commercial style bags (by my butcher) and I could still smell the beef in the water and through the cambro even.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

geetee posted:

perhaps you should do research yourself instead of going DURR MOLTEN PLASTIC BAD

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/03/is-it-safe-cook-plastic/
(^third result for 'are ziploc bags safe for sous vide cooking' in google)

lousy hat posted:

Yeah the "raw" bit was really more about flavor, responding to the initial flavor comment, and I could have phrased that more clearly.

At the same time, knowing that killing the bacteria doesn't destroy the Botulinum toxin always makes me cautious when dealing with raw garlic and any significant time in the danger zone, so I tend to be pretty conservative on that front. But yeah I don't want to spread bad info so I'll keep that in mind.
using fresh garlic in sous vide cooking isn't recommended as it gains a metallic flavour when cooked under vacuum. dried garlic would be preferable for this application.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
My concern re: ziplocs vs vac sealing is more about durability during a long cook, rather than plastic safety. Though sounds like double-bagging may be a nice stopgap before I pick up a vacuum sealer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MasterFugu posted:

perhaps you should do research yourself instead of going DURR MOLTEN PLASTIC BAD

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/03/is-it-safe-cook-plastic/
(^third result for 'are ziploc bags safe for sous vide cooking' in google)
He's not using ziplocs, he's using the bags you buy bread in, tied in a knot. They're a different, thinner kind of plastic (which is why he likes them). Bread bags aren't rated microwave safe as far as I know, because that's not a normal application. It at least seems worth asking.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

MasterFugu posted:

Sucks when you go for that slam dunk but end up looking like an rear end in a top hat.

Anne Whateley posted:

He's not using ziplocs, he's using the bags you buy bread in, tied in a knot. They're a different, thinner kind of plastic (which is why he likes them). Bread bags aren't rated microwave safe as far as I know, because that's not a normal application. It at least seems worth asking.

Thank you for reading the context of my reply :) This is exactly why I felt it was worthy of raising the potential issue.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

geetee posted:

Sucks when you go for that slam dunk but end up looking like an rear end in a top hat.
not so much, as long as the bag involved is polyethylene or polypropylene(like ziploc bags, bread bags and most foodsafe plastics), that link is accurate.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

I probably should have but I've done 3 briskets in single bags...this was my first time using no-name generic FoodSaver bags though. The thickness seems to be the same as the name brand ones but the little ridges pattern is 'lighter', not as deep, dunno how to really describe it. So that may have been it. I'm going to start double sealing each end for longer cooks + double bag.

e: Using a V3460 + http://www.amazon.com/Roll-Commerci...r+vacuum+sealer

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2014

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

MasterFugu posted:

not so much, as long as the bag involved is polyethylene or polypropylene(like ziploc bags, bread bags and most foodsafe plastics), that link is accurate.

You could have made your point above without looking like a giant douchebag too ya know.

I just bought a vac-sealer and vac bags, poo poo is really cheap these days... :shrug:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Bread bags aren't rated microwave safe as far as I know, because that's not a normal application. It at least seems worth asking.
except he's not microwaving them :???:

ScienceAndMusic posted:

You could have made your point above without looking like a giant douchebag too ya know.
and geetee could have googled a few words to educate themselves about plastic safety. oh the road not taken.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MasterFugu posted:

except he's not microwaving them :???:
and geetee could have googled a few words to educate themselves about plastic safety. oh the road not taken.
From your link, dude:

quote:

An easy way to spot the difference [between safe and unsafe types of plastic] is to check that your cling wraps or plastic bags are rated microwave-safe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf_XpLOYfog

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

From your link, dude:
interesting, though you could just as easily use the plastic identifier number I suppose

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Not to derail this conversation but in case anyone is curious, my Anova had a faulty board so they fixed it and are sending it back. They were very apologetic and said that it must've slipped by quality control - so I'm still pretty confident about Anova's manufacturing quality.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Boneless short ribs at 145 for 24 hr was a bad idea. They are good, but really dry for some reason.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
I just made the glazed carrots from SeriousEats and if you have not made them, then you absolutely should. They are so drat tasty. My only problem with them was that I cut the carrots 'faux-tourne' per the recipe, which left a lot of air in the bag so I had to weight it down. Next time I'll keep the carrots mostly whole.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TATPants posted:

I just made the glazed carrots from SeriousEats and if you have not made them, then you absolutely should. They are so drat tasty. My only problem with them was that I cut the carrots 'faux-tourne' per the recipe, which left a lot of air in the bag so I had to weight it down. Next time I'll keep the carrots mostly whole.

I found I had to do this with all veggies. They float, it's their nature. I don't have a submersible rack or anything similar for my rice cooker. When I pressed "post reply" I wanted to ask for tips, but I've just had an idea. Bag the carrots with a piece of stainless steel or a clean rock!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Makin' a beef shank osso bucco. The red wine sauce is simmering away, I'll sous vide the seared shanks overnight when it's done. :)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Turns out it's totally fine. About 3 hours at 44C and my guacamole didn't even start to turn brown for about six hours after I set it out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Turns out it's totally fine. About 3 hours at 44C and my guacamole didn't even start to turn brown for about six hours after I set it out.

Why did you need to heat them in the first place?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The notion is that it slows down the browning/oxidization process. I haven't run comparison timings but I know that the last time I used this trick, I wasn't the only one who brought some guacamole to the party, and the other person's guac turned more considerably more rapidly. I know the browning is harmless but it's not appetizing.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Maybe your guac was tastier than the other guy's so your top layer had more turnover. This calls for a controlled experiment (which I am far too lazy to do myself).

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

cooter64 posted:

Made kenji's carrot recipe (carrots, butter, sugar, s+p one hour at 183, the into hot pan). They tasted like carrots. Idiot proof, but probably not worth the hassle.

Anyone have any veggie recs?

Trim down a kg or so of small carrots.
Melt a couple TB of butter in a pan, throw in around a tsp each of coriander and caraway seeds and cook til it smells tasty.
Add both to a bag, seal and vizzle at 85c for 45-60m

Drain the juices into a saucepan, throw in a splash of madeira (or sherry, if it's all you have) and a tb or so of butter, cook it down a little, then throw in your carrots and reduce to a glaze.

Delicious - and I hate carrots.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Did lamb shoulder, rubbed with garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper for mother's day (UK), along with the glazed carrots mentioned above (with thyme). Served with some polenta dusted roast potatoes and kale. The lamb was pretty amazing, and super tender/flavourful. It's coming up to lambing season, so I suggest everyone should get on that. I'm probably in the minority, but I maintain that lamb is easily the equal of beef. The carrots were similarly great (though buttery carrots weren't going to go far wrong, to be fair).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I got some boneless short ribs going right now. Probably going to do 48h with those but I also have a piece of eye of round that I want to turn into a deli style roast beef type thing.

I'm thinking 24h at 132F then chilling, seasoning heavily, searing, then chilling again and slicing on the hobart? Anyone done something like that?