Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If they know who you are they know all your friends/familly/co-workers and maybe even the random guy you waved to on camera while buying stuff down at the 7/11 and can ransack their personal accounts/info/whatever just as easily. They have way more control over the IT infrastructure then you could ever hope to so you're not going to beat them at their own game. Especially when they seem to be able and willing to bend the law into a parody of itself almost with impunity.

As the articles that were posted over the last couple of pages noted its on the human or 'analog' level where all their high tech snooping falls down flat on its face. Approaching protesting/demonstrating from that angle is your best bet to protect yourself, your privacy, and the privacy of your friends/family/co-workers while standing up for your rights.

Seriously guys just mentally filter out the word 'cellphone' and replace it with the phrase 'portable device that automagically constantly sends the NSA/FBI/police agency my location, personal info, pics, etc' and this will all make a lot more sense. There are all sorts of good reasons why that sort of thinking is unpleasant to say the least but that is the reality of the situation today.

Anyways if you still disagree I'll just drop it since there isn't anymore I can think to add that is useful on this tangent.

People were arguing for the phones as tools for exposing police abuses at protests, not secrecy. If your phone automatically uploads a video that is then shared online, no amount of NSA tomfoollery is going to suppress that. And really, even without a phone how are you going to hide the fact that you were at a protest short of a balaclava (that will promptly get you detained/pepper sprayed anyway)?

And if you want to maintain at least a layer of privacy, buy a burner with cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

People were arguing for the phones as tools for exposing police abuses at protests, not secrecy. If your phone automatically uploads a video that is then shared online, no amount of NSA tomfoollery is going to suppress that. And really, even without a phone how are you going to hide the fact that you were at a protest short of a balaclava (that will promptly get you detained/pepper sprayed anyway)?

And if you want to maintain at least a layer of privacy, buy a burner with cash.

If you want privacy at a protest, wear a ski mask, pad your clothes, vary your gait, and pay someone to carry your cell phone through your "normal" routine so that it doesn't suddenly stop moving while you're away.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kobayashi posted:

If you want privacy at a protest, wear a ski mask, pad your clothes, vary your gait, and pay someone to carry your cell phone through your "normal" routine so that it doesn't suddenly stop moving while you're away.

Sounds like a great way to get shot for being a terrorist, if you ask me.

At some point it becomes completely unreasonable to take personal measures to protect your own privacy. They're already too good at violating it for the vast majority of uninformed people, and they're only going to get better. Defense isn't going to work for much longer.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

Also wear contacts, and false retinas.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

pay someone to carry your cell phone through your "normal" routine so that it doesn't suddenly stop moving while you're away.

I knew my habits would pay off some day. *leaves phone in front of computer for 20 hours, goes to protest*

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
A potential NSA TAO break-in to Huawei was observed in progress by Errata Security, for those interested in this stuff:

http://blog.erratasec.com/2014/03/we-may-have-witnessed-nsa-shotgiant-tao.html?m=1

Looks like they have compromised Huawei's tech support.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was really just responding to the blanket statement "leave your cellphones at home when you go to protest your government" because depending what country you're in, that may not always be the case. I don't disagree at all about what you are saying in regards to Ukraine and Russia. If people were to protest against the NSA in the United States, any footage of police brutality or footage that shows who specifically incites violence, could be helpful in supporting the protesters' cause. It's not like the NSA won't already know who's spoke out against them on the internet...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a much simpler solution - just take a loving camera to document everything. There's potentially something that could be done with the noise patterns to ID the camera but that's still much better than broadcasting stuff from a phone.

posting smiling
Jun 22, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

There's a much simpler solution - just take a loving camera to document everything. There's potentially something that could be done with the noise patterns to ID the camera but that's still much better than broadcasting stuff from a phone.

simpler solution? take it easy at home :rznv: not anyone every changed the world by protesting something.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

mobby_6kl posted:

Cameras can't upload stuff to the internet before the police confiscate and destroy it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also completely ignoring the level of coordination that cell phones can achieve in a large or spread out group.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

ShadowHawk posted:

Cameras can't upload stuff to the internet before the police confiscate and destroy it.

I believe if you stream live via ustream they maintain a copy online.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

j3rkstore posted:

I believe if you stream live via ustream they maintain a copy online.

And regular cameras cant stream live via ustream.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The security culture stuff about phones probably won't make a difference unless you're doing some sort of covert direct action, rather than a protest or symbolic arrest. In the meantime, in my experience, it promotes a weird paranoid militarism that's usually pretty toxic to any attempt to organize anything since everyone's paranoid about cops or whatever.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

I knew my habits would pay off some day. *leaves phone in front of computer for 20 hours, goes to protest*

Aha.

Have to find some sense of humour about all of this :)

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The security culture stuff about phones probably won't make a difference unless you're doing some sort of covert direct action, rather than a protest or symbolic arrest. In the meantime, in my experience, it promotes a weird paranoid militarism that's usually pretty toxic to any attempt to organize anything since everyone's paranoid about cops or whatever.

You know, unless you want the cops harassing everyone in your phonebook.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mike Rogers announced that he's quitting Congress to go back into broadcasting. Thank god.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Pucker up dudes here it comes!

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/27/nsa_reform_bill_to_take_concerning_route/

I doubt they could actually get this to pass in the house right? Even if they rush this POS out, the house surely wouldn't vote on this over the USA Freedom Act or Amash's amendment right? :/.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

On the bright side I believe today is General Alexander's last day on the job. Good riddance and rot in hell.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Classicist posted:

simpler solution? take it easy at home :rznv: not anyone every changed the world by protesting something.

That's what the bastards want!

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Sancho posted:

On the bright side I believe today is General Alexander's last day on the job. Good riddance and rot in hell.

Seconded, though that lying piece of poo poo Clapper is still in.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
The revelations that the NSA is finding it harder to track Russian plans makes me wonder: is it that foreign information security has improved, or was it basically nonexistent in a lot of places until recently? Maybe they're just complaining about the growing threat of widespread technological literacy, like "oh no foreign governments stopped using unpatched windows 2000, how will we hack them now?"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

crusader_complex posted:

The revelations that the NSA is finding it harder to track Russian plans makes me wonder: is it that foreign information security has improved, or was it basically nonexistent in a lot of places until recently? Maybe they're just complaining about the growing threat of widespread technological literacy, like "oh no foreign governments stopped using unpatched windows 2000, how will we hack them now?"

Funny thing about that, turns out those Windows patches are probably NSA backdoors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Funny thing about that, turns out those Windows patches are probably NSA backdoors.

Probably the Linux updates too, actually.

There was a rather interesting find recently. Basically there's fake accounts designed to look like the real developers in the Web Of Trust that is used to sign packages, isolated in their own little trust-bubbles from the rest of the trust graph.

quote:

"In recent months fake PGP keys have been found for at least two developers on well known crypto projects: Erinn Clark, a Tor developer and Gavin Andresen, the maintainer of Bitcoin. In both cases, these PGP keys are used to sign the downloads for popular pieces of crypto software. PGP keys are supposed to be verified through the web of trust, but in practice it's very hard to find a trust path between two strangers on the internet: one reply to Erinn's mail stated that despite there being 30 signatures [attached to] her key, [the respondent] couldn't find any trust paths to her. It's also very unclear whether anyone would notice a key substitution attack like this. This leaves three questions: who is doing this, why, and what can be done about it? An obvious candidate would be intelligence agencies, who may be trying to serve certain people with backdoored binaries via their QUANTUMTHEORY man-in-the-middle system."
http://it.slashdot.org/story/14/03/22/1738258/fake-pgp-keys-for-crypto-developers-found

The author goes on to recommend X-509, which is even more vulnerable than the PGP WoT.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 31, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

crusader_complex posted:

It's on a country-by-country basis, I'm sure. Russia has been trying to avoid US SIGINT and cyberwarfare basically since computers were invented. North Korea's IT infrastructure is obviously strictly controlled and probably rather scant. Iran has no doubt been furiously hardening their computer systems since the day Stuxnet was found.

internaut
Mar 2, 2007

I don't stop for nothin', kid.
April fools! The NSA has been warrantlessly searching through the content of American's communications after all!

The Guardian posted:

US intelligence chiefs have confirmed that the National Security Agency has used a "back door" in surveillance law to perform warrantless searches on Americans’ communications.

The NSA's collection programs are ostensibly targeted at foreigners, but in August the Guardian revealed a secret rule change allowing NSA analysts to search for Americans' details within the databases.

Now, in a letter to Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat on the intelligence committee, the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, has confirmed for the first time the use of this legal authority to search for data related to “US persons”.

“There have been queries, using US person identifiers, of communications lawfully acquired to obtain foreign intelligence targeting non-US persons reasonably believed to be located outside the United States,” Clapper wrote in the letter, which has been obtained by the Guardian.

“These queries were performed pursuant to minimization procedures approved by the Fisa court and consistent with the statute and the fourth amendment.”

The legal authority to perform the searches, revealed in top-secret NSA documents provided to the Guardian by Edward Snowden, was denounced by Wyden as a “backdoor search loophole.”

Many of the NSA's most controversial programs collect information under the law affected by the so-called loophole. These include Prism, which allows the agency to collect data from Google, Apple, Facebook, Yahoo and other tech companies, and the agency's Upstream program – a huge network of internet cable taps.

Clapper did not disclose how many warrantless searches had been performed by the NSA.

Confirmation that the NSA has searched for Americans’ communications in its phone call and email databases complicates President Barack Obama’s initial defenses of the broad surveillance in June.

“When it comes to telephone calls, nobody is listening to your telephone calls. That’s not what this program’s about,” Obama said. “As was indicated, what the intelligence community is doing is looking at phone numbers and durations of calls. They are not looking at people’s names, and they’re not looking at content.”

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

internaut posted:

“There have been queries, using US person identifiers, of communications lawfully acquired to obtain foreign intelligence targeting non-US persons reasonably believed to be located outside the United States,” Clapper wrote in the letter, which has been obtained by the Guardian.
That is some artful comma placement. (In case you're not catching it, the purpose of the acquisition is to obtain foreign intelligence targeting non-US yada yada yada. We already know that. But the queries? Well, those can be for whatever the gently caress we want.)

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Elotana posted:

That is some artful comma placement. (In case you're not catching it, the purpose of the acquisition is to obtain foreign intelligence targeting non-US yada yada yada. We already know that. But the queries? Well, those can be for whatever the gently caress we want.)

The exact problem is the one posters in this thread identified immediately and has been danced around by the press ever sense. If they have access to it, they are going to use it. Period. End of story. Exactly why Obama's weak "reform" will basically just outsource the job of storing tons of data collected without a warrant to the telecom companies. They are still going to get what they want out of it and they consider the collection of it completely legal.

More interesting yet is the whole possibility of releasing Jonathan Pollard, who was convicted of trying to sell stolen American military secrets to other countries, in order to kickstart the peace process. I believe we're going to have to find a stronger term than "baldfaced hypocrisy" if that happens yet Snowden still gets pursued.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 2, 2014

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City
I'm still reading the article, but apparently when we're not harvesting metadata from our social networks we're building them for countries without them:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/03/us-cuban-twitter-zunzuneo-stir-unrest

USAid created ZunZuneo, a play on Twitter with how a Cuban would say a hummingbird's call, was deployed possibly illegally and with plausible deniability on the part of the White House to hook users and then feed them anti-Cuban government propaganda.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Attempting to thwart the most repressive censorship in the western hemisphere seems like a good goal to me.

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

JeffersonClay posted:

Attempting to thwart the most repressive censorship in the western hemisphere seems like a good goal to me.

I think the bigger story is that "Social Media as a means of maintaining hegemony" is in the playbook of a group alleged with being a CIA front (edit:by the author of Killing Hope).

I'm still reading up on the confluence of subjects here, but with the reputation USAid seemingly has in most of South America, ending censorship would be a collateral good caused by furthering US foreign policy.

Pygmy Pyrosaur fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 3, 2014

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Pygmy Pyrosaur posted:

I think the bigger story is that "Social Media as a means of maintaining hegemony" is in the playbook of a group alleged with being a CIA front (edit:by the author of Killing Hope).

I'm still reading up on the confluence of subjects here, but with the reputation USAid seemingly has in most of South America, ending censorship would be a collateral good caused by furthering US foreign policy.

The internet is a means of maintaining western hegemony. Accept it and enjoy the ride.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't know - the CIA attempting to bypass regime censorship with twitter seems pretty benign if not even laudable to me.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
I agree. The CIA has a history of benign, nay, laudable activity in Cuba and this is surely no different.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
We all know colonising the political opposition works out well for domestic stability and democracy

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

So the Senate Intelligence Committee has voted to declassify the executive summary and conclusions of the report they were doing on the CIA's torture programs. The same one that caused the huge fight between them and the CIA about a month ago. Word is that may take a month for the White House and CIA to go over it, who knows how much will be redacted, but a hopeful sign regardless. Obama has said that he wants to see this declassified, for what that's worth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/04/us/politics/senate-panel-approves-release-of-cia-interrogation-report.html?ref=us

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rockopete posted:

So the Senate Intelligence Committee has voted to declassify the executive summary and conclusions of the report they were doing on the CIA's torture programs. The same one that caused the huge fight between them and the CIA about a month ago. Word is that may take a month for the White House and CIA to go over it, who knows how much will be redacted, but a hopeful sign regardless. Obama has said that he wants to see this declassified, for what that's worth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/04/us/politics/senate-panel-approves-release-of-cia-interrogation-report.html?ref=us

He keeps saying this, but doesn't he have the power to unilaterally declassify it? Or was that the report done by the CIA itself?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

He keeps saying this, but doesn't he have the power to unilaterally declassify it? Or was that the report done by the CIA itself?

This is the Senate report. I believe he does have that power and I hope he's just being courteous by inviting the CIA to look it over and take their redactions under advisement. Ideally he just declassifies the whole thing, maybe with key place and person names redacted, but "agency morale" blah blah blah. The CIA would deserve every bit of it IMO, but more importantly it would make an agency very reluctant to do anything like this again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rockopete posted:

The CIA would deserve every bit of it IMO, but more importantly it would make an agency very reluctant to do anything like this again.
I agree. The CIA will be very reluctant to leave an internal report concluding that its actions were illegal lying around to be leaked or accidentally turned over to a congressional investigation in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

mystes posted:

I agree. The CIA will be very reluctant to leave an internal report concluding that its actions were illegal lying around to be leaked or accidentally turned over to a congressional investigation in future.

I'm going off of the neocon line that "if we hold our agents accountable for this stuff they won't be willing to follow orders to torture in the future :qq:."

• Locked thread