Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The most surprising thing about that, for me, is the discovery that Crowbar is still a band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure every New Orleans band is comprised of the same rotating group of about 15 dudes who take turns releasing stuff under different names.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

That's a surprisingly good lineup, at least after first spotting Machine Head and Red Fang...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another track from the Dio tribute album's been put up for streaming, this time Corey Taylor and friends doing Rainbow in the Dark.

Ithaqua posted:

I'm hoping they still do the GWAR-B-Q this summer as a Dave Brockie memorial festival. Assuming my personal and professional life align with the dates, I'll be there.
Jack Flanagan has confirmed almost exactly this during a statement about Brockie's death. GWAR-B-Q will go ahead on August 16th at Hadad's Lake, with a public memorial to Brockie taking place the day beforehand at the same place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrBling posted:

The most surprising thing about that, for me, is the discovery that Crowbar is still a band.

They have a new album coming out this year and they released a solid one in 2011.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Exhumed in the tiny font...

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

The Kins posted:

Another track from the Dio tribute album's been put up for streaming, this time Corey Taylor and friends doing Rainbow in the Dark.

Well this replaces my go-to Rainbow minus keyboard e.g. the fixed version

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I must be getting old, completely missed that there is a new Countess album coming.

http://youtu.be/Wyy7xdK2k8Y

Seems like Orlok still really likes 80s heavy metal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Kins posted:

Whoever produced this album deserves a goddamn medal.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't get it. Why would someone listen to a song called "Rainbow in the Dark" but not want it to put a goofy smile on their face?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 27, 2014

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DeusExMachinima posted:

That's dumb as hell and also you mean i.e. not e.g.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Pretty sure every New Orleans band is comprised of the same rotating group of about 15 dudes who take turns releasing stuff under different names.

That's not that far from the truth. A lot of dudes in the New Orleans music scene know each other, go to each others shows or have played in each others bands so it happens a lot.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Mustaine wine rolls out of the vineyard next month, I'd buy a case if they shipped to Europe.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.387469231396253.1073741829.381693075307202&type=1

http://mustainevineyards.com/

autistic cum slut
Jun 3, 2011
I heard it has a pretty bitter metallic aftertaste

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

autistic cum slut posted:

Oh snap. Well played!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

autistic cum slut posted:

:golfclap:

Bravo, sir.

edit: ...and quoting a poster called 'autistic cum slut' makes me grateful I never had to explain SA to my family

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Here's a new Autopsy track http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/autopsy-new-song-the-howling-dead-available-for-streaming/

It somehow manages to sound just as random and aimless as the new Metallica song. At least it's got a few good riffs

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, I like Autopsy and all, but that's just kind of boring.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Man, I like Autopsy and all, but that's just kind of boring.

I can dig it, but I've always liked their doom/classic death mix.

Speaking of doom influences, I wanted to give a shout out to a local NC blackened crust band YAITW (Young And In The Way). I came across this video clip of a recent NC gig where they did a Candlemass cover. Who would have thought. I'm expecting a lot of piss and hate from their new album that drops in May.

YAITW cover "Solitude" by Candlemass

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy crap. My band is going to work with Jens Borgen to release a 3 song EP.

Not intending to plug my band (Hence I haven't mentioned the name), but whenever I've mentioned Jens to somebody I get a blank look. I figure somebody in here would know who he is and understand why I'm pretty drat excited.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Holy crap. My band is going to work with Jens Borgen to release a 3 song EP.

Not intending to plug my band (Hence I haven't mentioned the name), but whenever I've mentioned Jens to somebody I get a blank look. I figure somebody in here would know who he is and understand why I'm pretty drat excited.

Whaaaaaa that is pretty awesome.

what is your band's name

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Speaking of doom influences, I wanted to give a shout out to a local NC blackened crust band YAITW (Young And In The Way). I came across this video clip of a recent NC gig where they did a Candlemass cover. Who would have thought. I'm expecting a lot of piss and hate from their new album that drops in May.

YAITW cover "Solitude" by Candlemass

YAITW is so fantastic. I've been friends with those guys for a while, and even so, I get so excited when I get to see them live. So much hate and anger.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, this Dio tribute album is actually really good. Even the whacky flute solo in Last in Line by Tenacious D.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I was really stoked when they hit it out of the park with the comeback EP but the following releases have been just.. serviceable

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That Rainbow in the Dark cover is great, but I noticed that the Holy Diver cover is Killswitch Engage, which they did 4 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7dG_m3MsI

It's actually pretty good for most of the song but the chorus in that goddamn metalcore scream just ruins it for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah the Holy Diver could have been done better and I was disappointed to see the KSE version on it.

The Halford version of Man on the Silver Mountain owns though.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Man, this Dio tribute album is actually really good. Even the whacky flute solo in Last in Line by Tenacious D.

Outside of the Anthrax cover, the first portion of that tribute album was just bad, I think. I almost think they frontloaded it for some reason because of deals, because Halestorm toward the beginning making a great riff sound completely boring and robotic?

But once you get past a certain point, the tribute just rules.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah the Holy Diver could have been done better and I was disappointed to see the KSE version on it.

The Halford version of Man on the Silver Mountain owns though.
Might have been better if it was rerecorded with Jesse Leach, even with the metalcore scream chorus. Something about Howard Jones's vocals always just sounded off-puttingly smug to me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If I like Decapitated, Blotted Science, Aborted, and Necrophagist, what else do you guys recommend?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Theory in Practice, (later) Death, and Nile seem like good bets.

You should also check out Ron Jarszombek's other projects if you like Blotted Science, especially Watchtower.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

caiman posted:

If I like Decapitated, Blotted Science, Aborted, and Necrophagist, what else do you guys recommend?

Anata
Decrepit Birth
Cryptopsy's earlier albums
Gorod
Spawn of Possession

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Some impressions of the new as-yet-untitled Opeth album. Depending on your point of view, you will either be disappointed or excited that it's apparently the love child of Ghost Reveries and Damnation (and also that there's no growling on this album either).

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite work of theirs is the first half of Ghost Reveries, so I have to say I'm pretty stoked.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

caiman posted:

Try Destroy the Opposition by Dying Fetus.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Whaaaaaa that is pretty awesome.

what is your band's name

HOORAY! I DIDN'T GET A BLANK LOOK!

I'm psyched. Most of the time, if I'm listening to a metal album and I think it sounds awesome, Jens has had something to do with it.

I'll post a youtube link once Jens has done everything and do a blatant plug then ;)

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Skyrim themed instrumental death metal: http://ophidius.bandcamp.com/

It's actually not bad. Nothing special, but it's not nearly as campy as I would have expected it to be.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Another album with no growls what the gently caress Opeth goddamn you assholes

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

caiman posted:

Maybe Immolation, Suffocation, Vader, old Morbid Angel, Origin

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

caiman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGmjzbImFU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

caiman posted:

Demilich, Nocturnus, and Cattle Decapitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This should keep me busy for a while.