Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

zedprime posted:

BG2 has like a baseline balance that means it is immediately accessible to play (assuming you can wrap your head around basic AD&D) and min maxing is a bonus. Arcanum needs you to start rooting around in the depths of the mechanics very early on like the aforementioned Black Mountain Mine, which is very early into the storyline.

BG2 uses the AD&D rules so it's kind of inherently broken, sorry dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

WarLocke posted:

And an insanely bizarre, half-implemented, non-intuitive, super cryptic version of those rules, as well.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

But ones that just worked and people who didn't give a poo poo about D&D could just play and not really think about the mechanics and implementations that much.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Until Throne of Bhaal :negative:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

For your consideration, Serpent in the Staglands. Good Darklands feels.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/serpent-in-the-staglands

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I like the Ultima-like metal gauntlet cursor. Will consider backing. By the way, rope kid, I hope the hand-cursor for PoE is shaping up well :colbert:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

rope kid posted:

Heck yes! I loved the idea and setting of Darklands but I couldn't get around the interface.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I wasn't going to back that because I'm usually bad at games like that, but then I go and see "Guy Gavriel Kay" in the inspirations list....

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hannibal Rex posted:

You have in-game stories about how the flower of knighthood got annihilated by a rifle company

Key term. Most knightly gear and training was borderline bespoke, as magic would be. Outfitting pike and rifle lines was, on the other hand, borderline commodity.

Of course one person is better off with the fancy poo poo, because you are not a company on your own and they need to bring one out against you to even the odds. And nothing said the knight had to fight alone.

Also your regularly scheduled 'flower of knighthood nothing warrior nobles fought like filthy assholes' yadda yadda blah blah blah.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 28, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LogicNinja posted:

I wasn't going to back that because I'm usually bad at games like that, but then I go and see "Guy Gavriel Kay" in the inspirations list....

I can show you a whole world of my little pony fanfiction inspired by george rr martin to sean russell, so don't go thinking that inspiration is equal to output.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Drifter posted:

I can show you a whole world of my little pony fanfiction inspired by george rr martin to sean russell

Please don't.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rope Kid scoffs at you grognards

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

WarLocke posted:

To this day, despite having it explained to me half a dozen times, THAC0 remains as intelligible to me as a slab of cuneiform.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Eminently sensible stuff. I am actually very excited by the idea of spending a lot of time reading and playing around with lots of different (and significant!) speech options, because that is the part I have missed the most in many newer RPGs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SurrealityCheck posted:

Eminently sensible stuff. I am actually very excited by the idea of spending a lot of time reading and playing around with lots of different (and significant!) speech options, because that is the part I have missed the most in many newer RPGs.

Same. My favorite part of Alpha Protocol was when you met with Marston in rome to play mindgames outside a cafe.

Plus, well written rear end in a top hat dialogue options are awesome.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

Radio Talmudist posted:

To this day, despite having it explained to me half a dozen times, THAC0 remains as intelligible to me as a slab of cuneiform.

Lower is better.

That's literally all you have to know. If two weapons are equal but one gives you a THACO of 3 instead of 4, go with that. I could go into the full spiel about how THACO stands for 'To Hit Armor Class Zero' and yadda yadda, but you don't need to know any of that to operate in the game.

THACO's actually one of the sorts of rules that I like. All you really need to know can be summed up in one sentence, but if you really want to sperg out and dig into the math and dice rolls to min/max your fight odds, you can. Easily usable for pretty much everyone, but some more depth for those who take it upon themselves to dig. To me that's one of the best ways to design a gameplay mechanic.

The only complaint re: THACO I can really understand is the fact that the term 'THACO' is totally meaningless gibberish at first glance. If they had just called it 'hit probability' or some poo poo that probably would've fixed like 90% of the confusion.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Later editions do it much better. All you need to know about AC is that higher is better. All you need to know about attack rating is higher is better. No counting down to zero then wrapping into negatives. The whole "0 Armor Class is good" and "negative Armor class is even better than zero!" were the dumbest poo poo.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DatonKallandor posted:

Later editions do it much better. All you need to know about AC is that higher is better. All you need to know about attack rating is higher is better. No counting down to zero then wrapping into negatives. The whole "0 Armor Class is good" and "negative Armor class is even better than zero!" were the dumbest poo poo.

When I was playing Icewind Dale as a kid, I understood that lower AC was better and then got a bit confused when I found a magic +1 armor. But but but it's magical, it should be better why does it say plus 1 AC? :shepicide:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah, the most confusing bits of the THACO system where not the attack bonuses but the stats on the defense side.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Sure, but BG2 is incredibly well balanced. It's almost impossible to create a character or party that can't beat the game. Sure, some are clearly better, but none are outright bad awful.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

rope kid posted:

We will probably need to iterate on their base bonuses a little more, but currently all of the weapons are distinguished from each other by minor base effects like this. Sabres cause DoTs, pikes have reach, estocs and stilettos negate a portion of DT, maces do "best of" Pierce or Crush damage, daggers are inherently accurate, etc.

This sounds great.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Reminder for the procrastinating backers who are designing items and NPCs, the deadline's Monday so it's your last weekend to get your stuff in the game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wouldn't grognards be the ones to love reading though?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The grognard bits is not about the reading, it's the "gotcha" moments' part:

quote:

“Combat encounters that can only be completed a certain way or (situations where) you have to have one of these characters, or you have to have these two characters,” said Sawyer, “those ‘gotcha!’ moments that some gamers love, well… God bless you I guess, but we’re not gonna do that.”

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Nb. the GoG version comes pre-patched to 1.0.7.4, so you can install the UAP, hq townmaps, hi res patch etc right off the bat

Nb. that if you're unfortunate enough to be running Windows 8 and the hi res patch, there are a bunch of performance issues that pop up regardless of your hardware and compatability mode shenanigans (issues that don't exist on Win7); not sure if the Win8 issues crop up without the hires patch. If you have a Win7 or WinXP virtual machine you can get it to run silky smooth again though, as a 13 year old game should.

Virtual machine is the way to go. Being able to play in a window at a reasonable resolution is huge.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

The grognard bits is not about the reading, it's the "gotcha" moments' part:

I swear to god it boggles my mind. I can't imagine ANYONE going "Whee! I can't complete the game now, I better start over but this time I'll be sure to collect that candlestick and level up my lockpicking and mace skills! Oh man, they sure got me good with that!"

It's so weird that people like that exist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Agean90 posted:

Same. My favorite part of Alpha Protocol was when you met with Marston in rome to play mindgames outside a cafe.

That is the best "fight" in the game, and probably the high-point of the entire game as far as I am concerned.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

I swear to god it boggles my mind. I can't imagine ANYONE going "Whee! I can't complete the game now, I better start over but this time I'll be sure to collect that candlestick and level up my lockpicking and mace skills! Oh man, they sure got me good with that!"

I would think its more like: "Now we need to go recruit a lockpicking sewer rat, and go get that candlestick and come back" - as opposed to "lets start over".

The people that would start over are the OCD people that punch their screen when they realize there was a pair of boots they didnt collect and their special voices tell them they arent perfect enough.

The only actual trap I remember running into was Ultima V and that loving box.

Radio Talmudist posted:

THAC0 remains as intelligible to me as a slab of cuneiform.
Bonus on anything means: "in your favor". AC goes down, attack bonus goes up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Drifter posted:

No, it's people who like to feel smart lording it over new players.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Apparently one of the $5,000 custom inn/tavern backers hasn't responded to Obsidian so on the off chance anyone here knows one of them...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW the armor class lower = better goes all the way back to the original Chainmail rules and was just continually updated from that basic premise through the end of 2nd Ed. It's really crazy how much staying power early conventions have.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

BTW the armor class lower = better goes all the way back to the original Chainmail rules and was just continually updated from that basic premise through the end of 2nd Ed. It's really crazy how much staying power early conventions have.

Was this a holdover from the wargames they used to play before they decided to make it into warriors and axemen?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Was this a holdover from the wargames they used to play before they decided to make it into warriors and axemen?

Yes. The specific rules they ripped off were from a battleship combat game, because a dude with a sword is basically the same as a boat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tendales posted:

Yes. The specific rules they ripped off were from a battleship combat game, because a dude with a sword is basically the same as a boat.

I read this and immediately thought of Civilization, where they are.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I read this and immediately thought of Civilization, where they are.

UGGGHHH this reminds me of this one game of Civ where my Battleship got sunk by a sole militia.

And a little later, a Musketeer shot down my bomber.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Disappointed that grognard link was to Wiktionary instead of RPG Codex.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

Pledged and ready. Can't give much this time, but at least I snagged a copy.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Tendales posted:

And a mage is basically a trebuchet!

It's really great how many people paint Gygax's (rip) design decisions as being divinely inspired genius when the majority of them were just torn out of wargames or thrown together in five minutes because his gaming buddy wanted to play a vampire or something.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Its so edgy to constantly repeat "lol dnd suxxor gygax is dum" while playing games that exist because of DnD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

Its so edgy to constantly repeat "lol dnd suxxor gygax is dum" while playing games that exist because of DnD.

Our method of communication exists because of the English language but that doesn't mean the English language also isn't a bunch of random poo poo put together by people who needed something convenient.

• Locked thread