Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I was thinking about season 4, and I remembered that at one point, they do a Jeff is complaining about the Dean stalking him, then there's a silence and the dean runs in with a cup to his ear and asks Jeff to repeat what he said because he didn't hear him. That... That actually happened right? I didn't imagine that scene in some drunken haze? Because if so, holy loving poo poo.

As far as season 5 goes, I'm really liking it, it's trying a little hard to try and convince everyone that Community is good again though.

E: Also nothing in last episode was as good as Pierces "Fat, FAT!" and this episode really made me miss Chevy, when he was on point, he was terrific.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MikeJF posted:

You know who I'd have liked to play D&D with them this episode? Real Neal. No big, just as part of their D&D playing group.

The background gag was pretty funny though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

LividLiquid posted:

Ah. I don't follow Basketball and didn't realize it was that hard.

You have to guess correctly in 63 games in a row. That's a 1/2^63 probability of occurring or 1 in 9 quintillion. For reference, a light year is 6 trillion miles long. Now imagine one million light years. That's 2/3 of 9 quintillion.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Austrian mook posted:

I was thinking about season 4, and I remembered that at one point, they do a Jeff is complaining about the Dean stalking him, then there's a silence and the dean runs in with a cup to his ear and asks Jeff to repeat what he said because he didn't hear him. That... That actually happened right? I didn't imagine that scene in some drunken haze? Because if so, holy loving poo poo.

As far as season 5 goes, I'm really liking it, it's trying a little hard to try and convince everyone that Community is good again though.

E: Also nothing in last episode was as good as Pierces "Fat, FAT!" and this episode really made me miss Chevy, when he was on point, he was terrific.

The broken ice cream machine and him trying to fix Annie's electricity are two of the finest bits of physical humor ever to be shown on a tv show.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, same with Troy. :smith:

Jonathan Banks is picking up the slack, but it's no racist grandpa who we all know has a heart of gold. I never thought watching Seasons 1-3 that I'd actually miss Pierce as a character, but he did honestly give some of the show it's heart and soul (along with everybody else though).

Meanwhile without Troy, Abed been getting a little annoying now that most of his interactions have been adversarial since Donald's departure. It would be nice if there was just an episode where Abed and Annie have a 'Troy and Abed'-style misadventure instead of everybody else dealing with his temper tantrums. On the other hand it could be a sign that Abed it getting some much needed, but painful, character development into a much more stable person. :unsmith:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

umalt posted:

Jonathan Banks is picking up the slack, but it's no racist grandpa who we all know has a heart of gold. I never thought watching Seasons 1-3 that I'd actually miss Pierce as a character, but he did honestly give some of the show it's heart and soul (along with everybody else though).

Meanwhile without Troy, Abed been getting a little annoying now that most of his interactions have been adversarial since Donald's departure. It would be nice if there was just an episode where Abed and Annie have a 'Troy and Abed'-style misadventure instead of everybody else dealing with his temper tantrums. On the other hand it could be a sign that Abed it getting some much needed, but painful, character development into a much more stable person. :unsmith:

I just miss him calling Abed "A-bed" and saying unintentionally offensive things every once in a while

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

umalt posted:

One of my favourite Pierce episodes was the one with the boat in the parking lot, in Season 1 - At the end, when he's constructing a tiny boat himself and the speech he gave Jeff. That was a great moment.

Edit: To emphasise, he was just stereo-typically a normal old cranky racist man. But in this episode, it's a rare moment of clarity and was refreshing to see.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 30, 2014

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
One of mine was his rivalry with Vaughn. Season 1 Pierce best Pierce.

In other news, it seems like the upcoming episode broke Rob Shcrab :ohdear:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"Let's discuss your Tardyness, Jeff"

"Don't say that, A-bed can hear you!" -:ohdear:

Yeah, I miss Pierce sometime.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is still one of my favorite Pierce moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgNcE8mRM0

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pierce was an amazing character until Dan Harmon's dislike of the actor infected the role and made him horrific. Honestly I complete understand why Chevy Chase thought the material he was being given was poo poo.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
That's bullshit. They had to write every scene Chevy was in around the fact that he wouldn't read the scripts or even learn his lines. He'd turn up and walk off set whenever he felt like it. And it's worth mentioning that Pierce only became horrific after Dan Harmon was kicked out. Pierce was a great character in season 1-2, I agree that he took a nosedive in season 3, but so did every single character on the show. And none of the other actors felt a need to be extremely unproffesional about it, or refuse to do certain scenes and badmouth the show publicly.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I find it odd though that Dan Harmon claims on his podcast that apparently him and Chevy have a good relationship, and that Dan admires him as a comedian.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

umalt posted:

I find it odd though that Dan Harmon claims on his podcast that apparently him and Chevy have a good relationship, and that Dan admires him as a comedian.

I think its more a matter of Dan understanding Chevy in ways normal, well-adjusted people can't.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They seem to respect each other. I don't really understand it either given all that's happened.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's possible to like somebody personally and be unable to work with them professionally. I know I've had coworkers over the years that were great to hang out with outside of work, while being a giant pain when in the office.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

MrAristocrates posted:

They seem to respect each other. I don't really understand it either given all that's happened.

They are both equally insane. This is the only logical answer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sakarja posted:

That's bullshit. They had to write every scene Chevy was in around the fact that he wouldn't read the scripts or even learn his lines. He'd turn up and walk off set whenever he felt like it. And it's worth mentioning that Pierce only became horrific after Dan Harmon was kicked out. Pierce was a great character in season 1-2, I agree that he took a nosedive in season 3, but so did every single character on the show. And none of the other actors felt a need to be extremely unproffesional about it, or refuse to do certain scenes and badmouth the show publicly.

Dan was kicked out in Season Four, so Season Three is all on him.

Pierce in Season Four was mainly a none issue, he was kind of forgotten about due to the damage having already been done, something I'm shocked they didn't also do with Chang; who really could've used some down time.

When Chevy was given things to do he was fine at them, like the aforementioned boating episode in Season One. I don't give a poo poo about the behind the scenes drama if the episodes themselves are fine, and it was the writing for the character which took a nosedive before the performance, so from what I can tell it's Dan's fault foremost.

Is Dan a genius? Yes. Is he a big baby also? Yes.

Is Chevy a great performer? Yes. Is he a big baby also too? Yes.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Dan was kicked out in Season Four, so Season Three is all on him.

Pierce in Season Four was mainly a none issue, he was kind of forgotten about due to the damage having already been done, something I'm shocked they didn't also do with Chang; who really could've used some down time.

When Chevy was given things to do he was fine at them, like the aforementioned boating episode in Season One. I don't give a poo poo about the behind the scenes drama if the episodes themselves are fine, and it was the writing for the character which took a nosedive before the performance, so from what I can tell it's Dan's fault foremost.

Is Dan a genius? Yes. Is he a big baby also? Yes.

Is Chevy a great performer? Yes. Is he a big baby also too? Yes.

I do agree that season 4 was about the chickens coming home to roost. They reaped what season 3 sowed. I've mentioned this several times in this thread. But that goes for every character. Pierce wasn't treated worse than any other member of the study group. Season 3 was a disaster for everyone involved.

The difference is that Pierce was overtly and maliciously racist in season 4 in a way that wasn't true of even the worst moments of season 3.

And Chevy was given plenty to do. As it turns out, his character had the most important story in season 2. It's fine if you don't care about the behind the scenes drama; we can't all be obsessive, obnoxious assholes who aspire to encyclopedic knowledge of NBC's lowest rated Thursday night sitcom ever. But if you don't care about that, how can you tell that the writing was the problem? How would you know that Chevy was fine with whatever they gave him, and that including him in a scene with the rest of the study group wouldn't add several hours of shooting because he simply didn't give a poo poo about learning his lines? Serious question: How exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that the writing took a nosedive before Chevy's performance did?

They're both big babies, yes. Congratulations to the both of us for being so much better.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

You guys hear about that turtle in China? Two packs a day!

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

For reference, a light year is 6 trillion miles long. Now imagine one million light years. That's 2/3 of 9 quintillion.
Yeah ok thanks for the reference, I'm gonna go ahead and imagine one million light years now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They actually explained light years and poo poo in last night's Cosmos

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Occupation posted:

You have to guess correctly in 63 games in a row. That's a 1/2^63 probability of occurring or 1 in 9 quintillion. For reference, a light year is 6 trillion miles long. Now imagine one million light years. That's 2/3 of 9 quintillion.

http://youtu.be/nFTRwD85AQ4?t=45s

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Harmon and co. were just writing to be more like the actor's real personalities with every season. Chevy had never really done a sitcom before and was probably tired of the schedule and the monotony after the first season. I have a feeling Chevy Chase wanted to do harsher, more spitefully-racist material because that's what he thinks is funny, instead of the "oh, look at grandpa" stuff. Harmon and Chevy just got into a arms race of spiteful bullshit and exploded into real life (and made Pierce a bad character on TV by the end of season 3.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
We can all agree Duncan is the best character right? I really liked seeing them take a load off and have an episode about him and Jeff, they're great friends, but like many comedies it doesn't feel like that sometimes. Is Duncan gonna be in any more episodes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's in 512 for sure but I'm not sure about 513.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Didn't the actor get his own show or something?

I'm guessing that they will write him out the show and have Britta take his job.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Ratjaculation posted:

Didn't the actor get his own show or something?

I'm guessing that they will write him out the show and have Britta take his job.

Or they'll just never show or mention him again. Which Community is apt to do with Greendale professors.

WHERE ARE YOU SLATER?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

El Tortuga posted:

Or they'll just never show or mention him again. Which Community is apt to do with Greendale professors.

WHERE ARE YOU SLATER?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm getting generally sick of lampshading because every goddamn commercial is doing it but Community does it right.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm getting generally sick of lampshading because every goddamn commercial is doing it but Community does it right.

The writers and actors of Community understand something that most modern advertising execs don't: subtlety.

edit: I assume by lampshading in a commercial context you mean the whole non-sequitur "WOAH LOOK AT THIS IT MAKES NO SENSE BUY THIS PRODUCT BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS AD" trend that Old Spice kicked off?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

:siren: EVERYONE CLICK THIS LINK :siren:

Just listen to the first five minutes of this. No spoilers, but it'll get you very excited for this weeks episode and is absolutely incredible in and of itself

http://www.castmate.fm:8080/h/a/r/harmontownpodcast/HARMONTOWN%2097%20MAIN.mp3

:siren:EVERYONE CLICK THIS LINK :siren:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Occupation posted:

Just listen to the first five minutes of this. No spoilers, but it'll get you very excited for this weeks episode and is absolutely incredible in and of itself

Holy poo poo was that loving funny

I just started listening to Harmontown, and while driving back form Long Island I heard the episode where Dan told the story about putting a Sharpie up his butt and Schrab told the story about scorching his butthole with hot water. I swear was laughing so hard it was difficult to drive.

Also, regarding Schrab, if you haven't watched Twigger's Holiday, you should: http://www.channel101.com/show/126

NOTE: If you're one of those babies who demands you know nothing about the upcoming episode, even the barest of plot outlines, don't listen to the clip above. You'd be missing out, though, because it's loving hysterical.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Occupation posted:

Welp, I hope the next episode isn't gonna be all about circlejerk nostalgia bullshit.

Never watched GI Joe as a kid.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Krowley posted:

Never watched GI Joe as a kid.

You and everybody under 35. Its a weird thing to riff on since most of Community's viewers are too young to have watched GI Joe when it was on the air.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Austrian mook posted:

We can all agree Duncan is the best character right? I really liked seeing them take a load off and have an episode about him and Jeff, they're great friends, but like many comedies it doesn't feel like that sometimes. Is Duncan gonna be in any more episodes?

"My shoes are untied by British standardssssssss"

All of his lines are the best.

Edit: "Even though you're an 8. Which is a British 10!"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Irish Joe posted:

You and everybody under 35. Its a weird thing to riff on since most of Community's viewers are too young to have watched GI Joe when it was on the air.

Iterations of G.I.Joe still air, and a number of younger people are familiar with the original series having watched reruns that show on The Hub sometimes (I think) or the parody P.S.A. videos. Hell, having grown up in the 90s, Saturday morning cartoons were full of those P.S.A. commercials, and I never once saw an episode of Joe around them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"My shoes are untied by British standardssssssss"

All of his lines are the best.

Edit: "Even though you're an 8. Which is a British 10!"

BRITISH DENTISTRY IS NOT ON TRIAL HERE :argh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

People really underestimate the cultural and memetic penetration the GI joe cartoon has had. I've never seen an episode and know the theme, the federal council for children's safety, that cobra had his cobra crew or whatever they were called, everyone had a ridiculous code name that was usually based off either their physical appearance or whatever their unique ability was, that knowing is half of the battle, that cobra always had ridiculously convoluted plans to both conquer the world and destroy the joes, and that everyone fought with lasers because you couldn't show guns in a kids cartoon. Also that nobody ever died but they kept on expanding how many joes were in the show and joes would "die" by falling off of cliffs or being sent back in time or whatever so they would have a regular rotation of new toys

I mean how many of you have seen an episode? Not many I would bet and while you were reading my post I best most to all of you were nodding in agreement having already knew all of that

Plus I cannot think of a single episode of Harmon's Community that is inaccessible to viewers that have never seen the source material and especially not a "circlejerk". The two closest are either the chicken fingers or my dinner with abed and I saw goodfellas after the former aired and have never seen my dinner with Andre. Or pulp fiction for that matter

gently caress I've seen four episodes of doctor who in total and think it is the absolute worst bullshit over ever had the displeasure of viewing on a television screen and I loved inspector Spacetime pre season 4. So yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Irish Joe posted:

Probably a little younger than 35. G.I. Joe had new episodes until 1992.

Occupation posted:

gently caress I've seen four episodes of doctor who in total and think it is the absolute worst bullshit over ever had the displeasure of viewing on a television screen and I loved inspector Spacetime pre season 4. So yeah

Did you watch modern Doctor Who episodes or classic Who? (I prefer modern Doctor Who.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 1, 2014

• Locked thread