Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Evil Canadian posted:

Those Trophies say "get rank number 1" in xyz, but they are not actually tied to the leaderboards are they? If so they would be ridiculous and unachievable in quick order.

Luckily they don't use the online leaderboards. Just got the bronze trophy for getting 1st place in Rampage. Got 1507 with Guan Yu, but that only put me in 14th online. The wording on the trophy descriptions is what threw me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Evil Canadian posted:

I was kinda surprised at the lack of "benevolence" in the shu campaign considering how much talk of Chaos and Ambition there is in the Wei campaign, right up until Zhuge Liang first appears and I have just hit a benevolent brick wall.

I thought that the Shu story in DW7 was weird. Liu Bei, for being the face of the faction was a almost a supporting character in terms of agency until Zhuge Liang appeared, then he actually became a supporting character and it became Zhuge Liang's show.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought that the Shu story in DW7 was weird. Liu Bei, for being the face of the faction was a almost a supporting character in terms of agency until Zhuge Liang appeared, then he actually became a supporting character and it became Zhuge Liang's show.

I'm at about episode 39 of Three Kingdoms 2010, and this has happened there also. Actual history probably vindicates this too.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

ChaosReaper posted:

Anyone played the Complete Edition on Vita? I was thinking about picking it up because DW is pretty fun and a nice game for mobile play. My only worry is that the game will run like garbage. If the 360 couldn't run DW8 what chance does the Vita have.

Allegedly we don't have the most recent version (The US version is 1.01 and Japan has 1.02) so the framerate is supposed to get better whenever the patch comes out. The PS4 version is also a patch behind, but it may be a few weeks before the patch and DLC come out.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Glad to hear there's a patch that will help with the Vita dw8c framerate. I'm happy with what I'm getting so far but better is better. About the only issue I have is periodically with firing off musous and having the facing be away from the direction I set the thing off in, often to the detriment of my body count.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

5er posted:

Glad to hear there's a patch that will help with the Vita dw8c framerate. I'm happy with what I'm getting so far but better is better. About the only issue I have is periodically with firing off musous and having the facing be away from the direction I set the thing off in, often to the detriment of my body count.

I've had that issue some having come from SW:C, the fix for me was to let go to the stick when I triggered the attacks. If you're holding forward, once the camera spins around it'll cause your character to go flying in the wrong direction entirely.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah 8 vita is great but the framerate is giving me PS2 era DW flashbacks so anything to boost that would be phenomenal

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Elliotw2 posted:

I've had that issue some having come from SW:C, the fix for me was to let go to the stick when I triggered the attacks. If you're holding forward, once the camera spins around it'll cause your character to go flying in the wrong direction entirely.

I've been mindful of this too, and while I do acknowledge that this helps, it's not the complete solution unfortunately.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Calax posted:

I'm looking for the slow version of LuBu's theme that plays over the intro of the first cutscene (the prep part)

Is this it?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I feel like I'm missing something about Zhu Ran's weapon. Is there some trick to using it that I haven't chipped to yet, or is it just completely underwhelming and kind of crap?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Yes it is *drools*

for some reason, playing DW8 again has made me want to find a Kessen 2 Let's Play... but I'm not sure there is one.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Are any of the dw8 dlc costumes coming to the ps4 version(or perhaps already on there and I cannot find them)? A lot of them are pretty badass.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Are any of the dw8 dlc costumes coming to the ps4 version(or perhaps already on there and I cannot find them)? A lot of them are pretty badass.

They've said they're going to be converting a lot of the DLC to Vita/PS4 versions after release, costumes are surely going to be one of them.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Elliotw2 posted:

They've said they're going to be converting a lot of the DLC to Vita/PS4 versions after release, costumes are surely going to be one of them.

Any word if they will be cross buy. My gamestop preorder code gave me downloads for ps3/4/vita costumes all at the same time so I hope this will continue to be the case.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think they've said yet, or they have I haven't seen it.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I wonder how long it will take them to roll out the patches for the Vita and PS4. You would think they would easily be able to have that up at launch day since it's been out for the Japanese versions already

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

5er posted:

I'm at about episode 39 of Three Kingdoms 2010, and this has happened there also. Actual history probably vindicates this too.
I can't speak for actual history (or the Sanguozhi), but your evaluations of both DW7 and the 2010 show aren't that off from the novel; for the most part in the latter Liu Bei's just there to be the one that everyone else acts on behalf of or against... oh, and to weep. A lot.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Ugh. So I've gotten a few of the 6 star weapons and it looks like they gave them all Heaven as the affinity just like the regular 5 stars. Which means we still have like four or five characters with only Heaven special weapons.

On a more positive note, they seem to have followed the tradition of adding a few really good tracks like they have done for the last few XL games. Basically every new song in the Lu Bu campaign is really awesome.

Also, I noticed something funny earlier today:

The beard so beautiful that even the Wei forces couldn't resist.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

How do you use rage on the Vita?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosReaper posted:

How do you use rage on the Vita?

Touch the meter, likewise Horse is the KO counter (or select.)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jibo posted:

Ugh. So I've gotten a few of the 6 star weapons and it looks like they gave them all Heaven as the affinity just like the regular 5 stars. Which means we still have like four or five characters with only Heaven special weapons.

One of the options in the new weapons customization is changing the affinity of a weapon... can you do this for 6 star weapons or are the blocked?

And am I reading this right, and XL has added ANOTHER level of super weapons to get? The secret weapons of base DW8 were 5 star, right?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Touch the meter, likewise Horse is the KO counter (or select.)

I would have never thought of that. Thanks a lot.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

abagofcheetos posted:

One of the options in the new weapons customization is changing the affinity of a weapon... can you do this for 6 star weapons or are the blocked?

And am I reading this right, and XL has added ANOTHER level of super weapons to get? The secret weapons of base DW8 were 5 star, right?

I haven't messed with the new Blacksmith options but if that's the case then it will be awesome.

And yeah there's another "level" of weapons. Except they are all on par with the 5 star weapons and out of the six I've unlocked so far only one isn't notably worse than a pre-expansion 5 star weapon of the same type.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nope, you can't do any blacksmith stuff on the weapons with star icons instead of circle icons. What you see is what you get, which in the case of the 5th and 6th weapons is heaven affinity.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's probably a stupid question, but the US PS4 version of DW8 is English language only, right?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's probably a stupid question, but the US PS4 version of DW8 is English language only, right?

Just Checked and A-Yup.

I am getting annoyed that the new characters (minus LuBu's faction) is basically XL missions only, and only show up in one or two of the XL missions for each kingdom.

They show up in normal battle but you can't play them outside of free mode or those 2 missions.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So the Vita version is a serviceable port, but is there anything I'm missing terms of characters or gameplay?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Calax posted:

Just Checked and A-Yup.

I am getting annoyed that the new characters (minus LuBu's faction) is basically XL missions only, and only show up in one or two of the XL missions for each kingdom.

They show up in normal battle but you can't play them outside of free mode or those 2 missions.

Yeah, I feel like they did a better job of focusing on the XL characters in 7XL and I would give up the Lu Bu campaign to get that style of XL game back. There were more new maps and the scenarios seemed more unique since most of the ones you get in this one are just slight variations on existing scenarios. Not to mention the awesome throwback levels.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

So the Vita version is a serviceable port, but is there anything I'm missing terms of characters or gameplay?

Nope, and you can even play with PS3/PS4 players in the barely functional network modes.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Does anyone know if the leveling glitch in Baidi can still be done in the complete versions? I can't find any info on it and I dread leveling up the slow rear end grindy way.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I've been trying to play DW8XL PS4 online but I haven't once been able to find a game. Is it even worth it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I have gotten in exactly one game trying multiple times a day. I suspect it's somewhat broken or it has some really really aggressive ping limits. I suspect it'd work better if people started passing around PSN's and trying to actually put games together.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Man, I thought some people were exaggerating how bad some of the character redesigns were in 6 until I watched this video.

I...I didn't know :negative:

Well, actually I did, I just kind of forgot. While some characters got redesigned for the better in 6 and they stuck with it since(Liu Bei, Sun Quan, Jiang Wei, etc), most are awful looking outliers. I mean, look at Guan Yu's hair...or Pang Tong or Xiahou Yuan in general.

edit: Jesus Christ, that Meng Huo design in 6 :stare:

Selane fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2014

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Selane posted:

While some characters got redesigned for the better in 6 and they stuck with it since(Liu Bei, Sun Quan, Jiang Wei, etc), most are awful looking outliers. I mean, look at Guan Yu's hair...or Pang Tong or Xiahou Yuan in general.

Forget this naïve appeaser - listen to the people, Koei: bring back Liu Bei's Van Dyke!

This message brought to you by the 2014 Benevolent Beard Coalition.

e: Also, reinstate the purple beard of Sun Quan.

Time Serpent fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 1, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

While I'm contented that the odd dixie cup king Liu Bei of 5 and earlier went away, I've never been very happy with the anemic valley-girl-ponytail bishie Liu Bei we've had since.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the topic of redesigns, has any character changed less than Cao Cao? Not complaining at all, but his render seems to have remained essentially static (slight recolors & accessories aside) since DW2.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I don't know, he got a pretty drastic change in Strikeforce! :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The worst change I can say right now is Zhang Liao's English VA in DW8XL. It's wrong.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Selane posted:

Man, I thought some people were exaggerating how bad some of the character redesigns were in 6 until I watched this video.

I...I didn't know :negative:

Well, actually I did, I just kind of forgot. While some characters got redesigned for the better in 6 and they stuck with it since(Liu Bei, Sun Quan, Jiang Wei, etc), most are awful looking outliers. I mean, look at Guan Yu's hair...or Pang Tong or Xiahou Yuan in general.

edit: Jesus Christ, that Meng Huo design in 6 :stare:

Sorry, Pang Tong's moth costume loving rules.

I just noticed that Japan doesn't have any joke weapon or original costume DLC for the new XL characters. :( That makes me feel like there probably won't be any and that is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The scene at the end of Defeat the Rebels in the Jin hypothetical route is pretty excellent. The Sima clan could give Tidus a run for his money.