Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

The Foo Fighters are a rock band, formed in 1995 by former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl. Since their self-titled debut album was released in 1995, they've gone back and forth (no pun intended) quality-wise, though everyone seems to agree that their latest studio album, Wasting Light, is their best album since 1997.

They're currently working on their eighth album. Their lineup has remained largely the same since 2000: Dave Grohl (frontman; guitar), Chris Shiflett (guitar), Nate Mendel (base), and Taylor Hawkins (drums). Pat Smear, who was originally in the band from 1995-1997, recently rejoined.

So, any fans here? I've fallen in and out of love with them, but Wasting Light dramatically improved my opinion of them to the point where they're now my second-favorite band.

AYC fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Better than Nirvana :smugmrgw:

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Griff Lee posted:

Better than Nirvana :smugmrgw:

[insert "Why not both?" Mexican girl]

I don't get why it has to be either-or. I like them both for different reasons. They're different enough musically that it doesn't make sense to compare the majority of their stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wasting Light was real admirable in that it was recorded in Grohl's garage using analog tape machines and produced by Butch Vig to try to recapture the band's original sound, and I think they succeeded because it feels more raw and more like their early stuff. White Limo is definitely one of my favorite songs they've put out in years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJ2brErERQ

The last album of theirs I really loved before that was One By One. One of my favorite songs from that album has a crazy rear end music video with Jack Black too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySlZdASmGCM

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I am also a huge fan, and Colour And The Shape was the first CD I bought. (I also have that artwork tattooed on my shoulder.) I'm glad someone made a topic for this, as I made the one for the previous album, which has obviously fallen into the archives.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Legendary album. It was one of my first CDs with the 5-disc changer I got Christmas of '95. To this day, I can listen to it front-to-back without skipping anything. So many great tracks, with awesome guitar work. Their 2nd album has a few songs on it that I like, but I don't care for any of the rest of the discography.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IUG posted:

I am also a huge fan, and Colour And The Shape was the first CD I bought. (I also have that artwork tattooed on my shoulder.) I'm glad someone made a topic for this, as I made the one for the previous album, which has obviously fallen into the archives.

Everlong is one of the best songs ever recorded, from any era and in any genre. I will fight anybody who disagrees with this at all.

I mean, the band has spent the last 17 years (yes you read that number correctly) trying to match that album, so maybe it's kind of a double-edged sword? They've had a lot of great singles and Wasting Light is a really good album overall, but The Colour and The Shape is on a whole other level.

Also, anybody reading this thread who hasn't seen "Back and Forth" yet should try and track it down, as it apparently isn't on Netflix anymore.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the first album is one I can listen to endlessly. And I really enjoy the second album too. For a while I thought Nothing Left to Lose is great but now I've started to not enjoy anything that isn't Generator, Learn to Fly, Stacked Actors or Breakout.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also, anybody reading this thread who hasn't seen "Back and Forth" yet should try and track it down, as it apparently isn't on Netflix anymore.

Considering how lame the Pearl Jam documentary is (Uh... so then we skipped through a BUNCH of drummers...) the Foo Fighters one was really great considering how it shows every time Dave was a total rear end in a top hat. But then the end becomes a self aggrandized promotion of their new album so you can stop it there.

Pat Smear is a total Bro tho. I'd love to have a beer with him.

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
Back and Forth was a great documentary. The part about William Goldsmith having to do 80-90 takes for songs, and then the band just taking off and doing it without him made me feel pretty bad for the guy. I can understand that Dave was releasing a major record, had a firm idea of the drums he wanted in his head, and knew he was the best guy to do them though. I think Goldsmith had some time issues too. As a drummer I can relate and can only imagine the blow to the ego.

I still love that the first Foo Fighters record is literally all Dave on every single side of the performance aside from one guitar overdub, recorded in a week in a studio down the street from his house. I still listen to the first two albums quite a bit, and they were a huge part of my teenage years. Dave Grohl was kind of my Ringo Starr.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ofecks posted:

Legendary album. It was one of my first CDs with the 5-disc changer I got Christmas of '95. To this day, I can listen to it front-to-back without skipping anything. So many great tracks, with awesome guitar work. Their 2nd album has a few songs on it that I like, but I don't care for any of the rest of the discography.

Have you tried Wasting Light? White Limo sounds a lot like Weenie Beenie.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Best songs from each album?

My choices:

Debut: Oh, George
C&S: Everlong
Nothing Left to Lose: Stacked Actors
One by One: All My Life
In Your Honor: The Last Song
ESP&G: The Pretender
Wasting Light: Rope

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

_Leviathan_ posted:

Back and Forth was a great documentary. The part about William Goldsmith having to do 80-90 takes for songs, and then the band just taking off and doing it without him made me feel pretty bad for the guy. I can understand that Dave was releasing a major record, had a firm idea of the drums he wanted in his head, and knew he was the best guy to do them though. I think Goldsmith had some time issues too. As a drummer I can relate and can only imagine the blow to the ego.

I still love that the first Foo Fighters record is literally all Dave on every single side of the performance aside from one guitar overdub, recorded in a week in a studio down the street from his house. I still listen to the first two albums quite a bit, and they were a huge part of my teenage years. Dave Grohl was kind of my Ringo Starr.

That bummed me out too. William Goldsmith is a loving great drummer in Sunny Day Real Estate, but I can see how he didn't fit with the band.

Foo Fighters are probably my favorite "mainstream" modern rock band besides the Black Keys (who were better before they got big). Their performance at Lollapalooza 2011 was transcendent. I think Wasting Light might be their best album period (although TCatS is right up there). Just a solid band.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AYC posted:

One by One: All My Life

For me it's "Times Like These" which I would also say is one of their best tracks period.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Everlong is one of the best songs ever recorded, from any era and in any genre. I will fight anybody who disagrees with this at all.

I thought from some of your other posts that we have the exact same musical taste and then you post this and prove me absolutely right

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Plank Walker posted:

I thought from some of your other posts that we have the exact same musical taste and then you post this and prove me absolutely right

Musically, I think Everlong is probably their best song. I still prefer Stacked Actors as my #1, though. I came to the Foos from Nirvana, though, so I prefer the heavier stuff.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Inspector_666 posted:

Sometime in the next 5 years some lovely no name band is going to become a one hit wonder with a cover of this (a la Orgy/Alien Ant Farm)

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I've always really liked There is Nothing Left to Lose. It's got a good range of songs from the rockier stuff (Stacked Actors, Breakout, MIA), some fantastic pop songs (Generator, Learn to Fly) and then some of my favourite tracks from them full stop (Live-In Skin, Aurora, Gimme Stitches).

They've always had one or two really good B-Sides per release too, from that really great cover of Baker Street to Normal (which is just a wonderful song).

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

spamman posted:

They've always had one or two really good B-Sides per release too, from that really great cover of Baker Street to Normal (which is just a wonderful song).

One of their first b-sides is one of my favourite tracks of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmY12FE8X_s

Their cover of 'Down in the Park' is great too.

Inspector_666 posted:

Been meaning to watch that, time to get around to it.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

agreed

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv1sgWxMPC4

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
I always loved My Hero, especially now that I know the story behind it. In Back and Forth, Dave said he didn't have any songs that you could do the wave to in stadiums. So he wrote a song that people could do that to in the chorus, rehearsed the hell out of it for 4 days, and then played in live for the first time in front of a stadium front of people. I love the drums and guitar and that catchy chorus.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wasting Light was real admirable in that it was recorded in Grohl's garage using analog tape machines and produced by Butch Vig to try to recapture the band's original sound, and I think they succeeded because it feels more raw and more like their early stuff. White Limo is definitely one of my favorite songs they've put out in years:
The last album of theirs I really loved before that was One By One. One of my favorite songs from that album has a crazy rear end music video with Jack Black too:
I feel the same way.

In Your Honor and Echos, Silence, Patience and Grace felt like a Foo Fighters cover band trying to re-create The Colour And The Shape and There Is Nothing Left To Lose. I would have appreciated In Your Honor if they just stuck to an acoustic album.

I'd pretty much written the band off until they released the video for White Limo.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

_Leviathan_ posted:

I always loved My Hero, especially now that I know the story behind it. In Back and Forth, Dave said he didn't have any songs that you could do the wave to in stadiums. So he wrote a song that people could do that to in the chorus, rehearsed the hell out of it for 4 days, and then played in live for the first time in front of a stadium front of people. I love the drums and guitar and that catchy chorus.

Isn't that the development story for "Enough Space"?

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008

AYC posted:

Isn't that the development story for "Enough Space"?

I think that's a separate story. "Enough Space" was born from the desire to write a song that British concert-goers would do their 'bouncing'/'dancing' thing to. Those might be the same story, though. I haven't watched that in a while.

Seriously, Back and Forth is a great doc. Dave is a pretty entertaining storyteller.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/foo-fighters-new-album-halfway-done-says-butch-vig-20140417

As of last week, the new album is halfway done. :allears:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
no love for Exhausted? It's my favorite song by them because its so fuzzy, shoegazy and yet depressive

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Skilleddk posted:

no love for Exhausted? It's my favorite song by them because its so fuzzy, shoegazy and yet depressive

I love it too. It's my go-to relaxation song. Anytime I bomb a test and feel terrible, I turn it on and everything is alright.

"What if a day I stayed in bed..."

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
They've been at Rancho de la Luna for the past 9 days.

http://instagram.com/p/nY_vZVReBy/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really wonder why he didn't record the album at his house. Especially after he went through all the work to get that console in his house and the whole Sound City thing. I don't even think he had that setup by the time of the previous album, so he never even broke it in with a Foo album.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Album #8 is still unnamed, but coming out in the Fall. And Dave took the time while recording to make a documentary series for HBO. So I guess that answers my question from a few weeks back up there.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/05/its-official-foo-fighters-to-release-new-album-this-fall/

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Will never stop liking them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-dPJ0dN59g

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw man, they played a secret show here in New Orleans last night and I didn't get to go. It was a private event and only VIPs (Win and Regine from Arcade Fire who are still here after performing at Jazz Fest like 2 weeks ago were in attendance) got in, but so many people stood outside and listened that the street was shut down. They had rented out Preservation Hall for a week and used it as a temporary studio. Butch Vig was here too and they recorded one song for the new album here. And they ended their week here with the secret show last night, where they were joined by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and for the last song (This Is A Call), Trombone Shorty came up and joined them for that one after already playing Hangout Fest and a gala in New Orleans that same day.

Read a bit more here.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've loved FF for years, and the first concert I went to after moving away from a terrible shithole country were no band ever played was theirs and I totally had a fangasm. I'm actually wearing the shirt I bought on that concert right now at work.

My favorite song from them after that show is Walk since hearing it that song from my favorite band, 2 months after I left my old lovely life behind me, gently caress that felt amazing. Yeah I sound like a 15 year old kid that misses the point but hey, it was great.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Glad I found this thread.

fig.1) http://www.foofighters.com/

fig.2) http://t.co/bUnUJHEmQA

I'm extremely excited for this album. Foo's been my favorite band for ages and the story behind this one sounds incredible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw man, they played a secret show here in New Orleans last night and I didn't get to go. It was a private event and only VIPs (Win and Regine from Arcade Fire who are still here after performing at Jazz Fest like 2 weeks ago were in attendance) got in, but so many people stood outside and listened that the street was shut down. They had rented out Preservation Hall for a week and used it as a temporary studio. Butch Vig was here too and they recorded one song for the new album here. And they ended their week here with the secret show last night, where they were joined by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and for the last song (This Is A Call), Trombone Shorty came up and joined them for that one after already playing Hangout Fest and a gala in New Orleans that same day.

Read a bit more here.

I was actually in the French Quarter that night while on a trip to New Orleans, but my family were all fighting with each other and I was like "gently caress it I'm going back to the hotel" so I missed that show. We would have walked right past it, too.

Knowing I would have just stood in the street unable to see anything takes some of the sting out, but still.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

Dudes are in Seattle now!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not sure if it was known, but the Foo Figthers' Twitter account posted that the documentary will start in October.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Apparently they were just recently down in Joshua Tree/Palm Springs recording, according to my buddy who brews at CVBC and saw them in a store in Joshua Tree buying his beer!

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:dance:

I'm pretty excited to hear this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I'm an unapologetic Foos fan and have been since the first album and I've really never stopped, through The Colour and the Shape which just smashed itself into popularity with how amazing it was, through There Is Nothing Left To Lose and onward. "One By One" is a bit of a "lost" album for me for some reason, I was convinced at the time that FF was going to break up, or at least that's what the music press kept trying to say, but I liked All My Life as a single, and love Times Like These. But I bought In Your Honor, Echoes, etc and Wasting Light when they came out, and have attended shows during the last two tours. And I have seen Back and Forth, it was a very good way to fill in the blanks on the band's past. Basically you can say I've always been a Dave Grohl fan from Nirvana, to Foos, to Queens and to Them Crooked Vultures, and I have always enjoyed Foos albums for the most part, even ones mainstream fans considered more weak, etc.

But when I first put Wasting Light on, knowing the band's history to that point and aware that for the first time they had THREE guitar players in the band, I was simply blown away at how amazing an album it was. Just simply blown away. Let's face it, the last few Foos albums had their share of filler tracks on them. I dare you to find the filler tracks on Wasting Light. Miss the Misery? No. Arlandria? No! There's five amazing songs on there (Bridge Burning, Rope, Walk, Dear Rosemary, White Limo), five really, really good songs (I Should Have Known, Miss The Misery, Arlandria, These Days, A Matter Of Time) and one pretty good song (Back & Forth). There are no filler tracks. And Sound City was amazing. So whatever they're doing next, the show? The new album? I'm onboard! That's all there is to it. I'm in awe of what Dave has managed to do with his fame over the last 7-8 years between collaborating on stage and in studio with a who's who of music history, to starting a new supergroup, to putting out the best album of his career and a documentary film right afterwards, and all the stuff I left out. Whatever he's up to, I'm there.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread