Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

god drat it i killed another shift register somehow what the gently caress i'm doing it like the diagram says to do

it got too hot to touch and i yanked the cord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MR is supposed to be the register clear pin right? are you sure you're connecting it right? on official data sheets that pin will be called SRCLR and if it's your bog standard 74hc595 it's pin 10. do you have the thing plugged into the breadboard in a stupid way? post a photo of the actual physical circuit you have built

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, shift registers are hella easy so something is hosed up.

Do you maybe have one meant for 3.3V and you're hooking it up to 5V?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
is it a cmos chip? theres a weird thing with some cmos families where if you dont wire all the inputs to hard +v or ground they draw shittons of current and burn up. try wiring all the inputs to some sane stable state and see what happens

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

7.4 Termination of unused inputs To prevent any possibility of linear operation of the input circuitry of an LSTTL device, it is good practice to terminate all unused LSTTL inputs to VCC via a 1.2 kOhm resistor. Inputs should not be connected directly to GND or VCC , and they should not be left floating. Unlike LSTTL inputs, the impedance of 74HC and 74HCT inputs is very high and unused inputs must be terminated to prevent the input circuitry floating into the linear mode of operation which would increase the power dissipation and could cause oscillation. Unused 74HC and 74HCT inputs should be connected to VCC or GND, either directly (a distinct advantage over LSTTL), or via resistors of between 1 kOhm and 1 MOhm. Since the resistors used to terminate the inputs of LSTTL devices are usually between 220 Ohm and 1.2 kOhm, it is often possible to directly replace LSTTL circuits with their 74HCT counterparts. Some of the bidirectional (transceiver) logic devices in the HCMOS family have common I/O pins. These pins cannot be connected directly to VCC or GND. Instead, when defined as inputs, they should be connected via a 10 kOhm resistor to VCC or GND.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here is a helpful schematic

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Werthog 95 posted:

here is a helpful schematic

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

honked again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

when i was about 12 I got a little 5mw laser pointer for my birthday (it was like the most amazing thing ever, they were still rare at the time and cost about $40, i saw it in the edmund scientific catalog which i would read for fun just to give you an idea of what kind of person young sagebrush was). i loved that thing. i took it to school and showed off to my friends and they were all A REAL LASER WHOA. then after school while we were playing with it, one of the kids who was kind of a hypochondriac got it shone on his face for a second. he freaked out and started hyperventilating and ran home and like an hour later his mom phoned my mom and got all up in her business about how DANGEROUS it was to let a CHILD have a LASER and HE MIGHT HAVE HURT MY BOY'S VISION FOR LIFE WE'LL NEVER KNOW!! and then i had a big sit down talking to all night and they said i could never take it to school again.

dumb kid. he also broke my radio controlled car.

Edmund scientific was rad as hell

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Edmund scientific was rad as hell

http://www.sciplus.com

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dec 26, 2012

seems like a good plan, will get on that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just hook up your 74HC595 like this says to and it should work. Also, datasheet.

edit: AFAIK, you only have to worry about unconnected pins blowing poo poo up with CMOS stuff (aka 3.3V chips). TTL-level chips might not function correctly with floating inputs, but they shouldn't be damaged by them (unless that specific part's datasheet says otherwise).

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 28, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bildr

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

MR is supposed to be the register clear pin right? are you sure you're connecting it right? on official data sheets that pin will be called SRCLR and if it's your bog standard 74hc595 it's pin 10. do you have the thing plugged into the breadboard in a stupid way? post a photo of the actual physical circuit you have built

i had it wired up wrong cause i'm a moran

did you know that if you hook the ground wire up to QB your chip blows up? you have to hook it up to GND

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ya ok i figured you had it hooked up wrong but i admit hadn't even anticipated that one cause it's on the level of "oh, the plug has to go IN the wall". glad you figured it out tho. don't do anything involving more than 12 volts please.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I like software you can't blow up software

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

honestly im surprised that it's been 25 years and that's still considered the worst software bug

would've thought at least a few refineries would've blown up by now. or something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfMbGPf4r9g

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
there have probably been worse accidents since which were blamed on faulty machinery that were actually faulty software

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

aha, see that software controls hardware :smuggo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's a great story i can never find when i want to about the usa deliberately leaking bad code to the soviets in the cold war. some kind of code for a controller used to run oil pipelines but the cia inserted a logic bomb that would trigger at a randomly determined time and close off valves in a way that would make the pipeline build up pressure. about 3 years after the controlled leak, a natural gas pipeline in siberia blew itself up for no obvious reason and the cia figured that was the result. but the spoopy part of it is that the cia had no idea where their code would be installed, no real information on the russian gas network, and no way to predict when the logic bomb would trigger, so it could easily have detonated right in the middle of st. petersburg or something

e: oh heh here it is, linked from te wikipedia page on logic bomb http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_pipeline_sabotage

Luigi Thirty posted:

aha, see that software controls hardware :smuggo:

tell me more about this software you have that doesn't use hardware

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

my dilz

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

c'mon man my schematic was very clear

sports
Sep 1, 2012

i live next to this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

got a whole pile more photo flash capacitors for cheap, and now i have enough that fully charged they roughly equal the energy in a .22 springer air gun

hoping to build this into a little baby coil gun tank to drive around and pop balloons :hellyeah:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

got a whole pile more photo flash capacitors for cheap, and now i have enough that fully charged they roughly equal the energy in a .22 springer air gun

hoping to build this into a little baby coil gun tank to drive around and pop balloons :hellyeah:

mount them all on your cat and train it to use them to daze birds for easy hunting

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk what this app does but i want it

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i was showing my cousin some of my lasers when he was about 10 and he said that his friend had a dark laser that would make a black dot on surfaces that you could move around

i told him it doesn't work that way

lrn2interference patterns my friend

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
speaking of which, i've been playing mandelbrot lately and making cool poo poo

open in new tab for high res, they're shrunk to not break tables

bonus points if u can figure out wtf is going on in these functs, double bonus points if you can guess how it relates to crypto

mega bonus points if you can figure out the compsci application

hint: you wont find the answer on google

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

bonus points if u can figure out wtf is going on in these functs, double bonus points if you can guess how it relates to crypto

bitcoins

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

something something elliptic curve

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

didn't read the poster's name, immediately realized it at this point

get help

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

gonna grab all the bonus points here and say weed-fuelled computer

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
non-computer idiot spare time project: acquired a second carboy. now i can do two-stage fermentation for beers that need longer fermentation times.

gonna brew a batch of hefeweizen tomorrow. hope it turns out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hefeweizen owns it's one of my favourite styles of beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
never had one

no idea what it's supposed to taste like

a german guy i know said Paulaner was the only non-poo poo imported hefeweizen and i should try some before i go and brew 5 gallons of it.

got a couple hours before i have to go to a family function, maybe i'll pick some up. can anyone c/d Paulaner being a good hefeweizen? or another good one?