Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wargigargle
Sep 8, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

People are way too desperate for commendations. People that are the worst on the team demand it every game.

I find that the best way to get commendations is to be a great team player, give people commendations (and mention you are), and never ask people to commend you. Essentially, to generally be the opposite of those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

People are way too desperate for commendations. People that are the worst on the team demand it every game.

I'm really not bothered by most of the trolling that floods your average dota match but for some reason the "commend plz" thing really pisses me off. Feeding couriers or afking in fountain I can take in stride but the dagon/eblade NP on my team demanding positive reinforcement for his KSing skills gets under my skin something terrible.

It just seems so senseless, I'm positive nobody's ever commended because the person requested it and commendations don't do anything anyway. Although I suppose by annoying me they've achieved their only aim. Just call me a noob bitch or something instead you pricks. :argh:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The reason why Bloodstone is a bad item on Skywrath is because he's one of the few heroes that has a scaling nuke, and it scales quite well too! Sheepstick costs only a little more money to give you a cool disable (that also functions as an instant slow!), and to increase the damage on your Q by a decent amount (56 damage when you finish it, which adds up considering how often you can spam it). Sure, the mana regen isn't as sexy as Bloodstone but heck, it sure is a lot more versatile.

It really pays off once the BKBs come out as well because if you're quick enough with the sheep you don't have to worry about your ult doing zero damage. Plus, more disables is never a bad thing.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I report people when they're in the winning team and ask the losers to commend them on allchat :haw:

Otherwise I usually save them to commend particularly chill people or good supports. I don't think I've ever used any commendation other than Friendly. To be honest the commend/report system should just be a simple thumbs up/thumbs down, because that's how I use it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

e: Ugh. my post wasn't showing up for some reason.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Srice posted:

Well, the only consistent factor in all of your games is you. Whining about people whom you'll probably never play with again is pointless! If you want to raise your MMR you gotta HTFU and do everything you can to get better.

Looking at that Jugg game, a few comments:

- First of all, about your Zeus comment: It is actually really good for Zeus to use his ult to kill steal! If he wasn't in range to get money from it then that increases the amount of gold your team gets.

- You could have survived a gank by using the magic immunity from your spin. It was Jakiro, Lina, and Timbersaw, with your poor man's shield and phase boots you definitely would have lived. Instead, you die, and bitch about your team in all chat. Don't blame them for a death that you could have avoided.

-You should have ditched the Battlefury plans once it looked like it would take awhile for you to get it. Your Void was pretty dang good at farming considering he got a 16 minute BF while farming in the hard lane. He didn't have as much last hits as the enemy carries but again, he was stuck in the hard lane. If you were planning on getting that Aghs from the start, a Deso would have been a lot more effective. BF is just not a good item for Jugg most of the time, especially if you can't get it in a timely fashion. It's a "farm more" item, after all. And as Jugg unless you're the only carry on your team you should try to avoid having to farm hard like that. Dude has solid mid game power after all.

-I just don't see Zeus intentionally throwing here. Dude was forced to play support Zeus in the hard lane. That's a hard life.

-Zeus might have been the worst player on your team but it was still a completely winnable game. The main reason he fed early on was entirely due to lane composition; Zeus is so fragile that if Jakiro hits his stun, it's easy for Lina to follow up with her stun and nuke. Void can do nothing to save him. It's just straight up a bad lane for him. On the same note, it's rather impressive that Void could finish a 16 minute BF against a kill lane like that.

-Now you're sitting afk in the fountain, bitching about Zeus trying to kill steal.

-No, really. Spending 3 minutes doing literally nothing just to bitch about your "bad team" really makes me feel like you deserve that loss.

-You complain about Zeus not using his ult often enough but he used it in every team fight when he was able. He didn't use it when people would suicidally charge into the other team by themselves though.

-To be honest I'm just skipping the rest of this replay at this point, you're sitting in base bitching about the Zeus being bad instead of playing the game. I have seen enough.

Anyways, the lane compositions were funky and that is a large part of why Zeus played terribly. Personally, I recommend Captain's Mode or Captain's Draft since that way you can get some normal team compositions and not have to worry about heroes that should be mid having to play support (Pugna and Zeus are both terrible choices for supports, jeez). Also, just resist the urge to go on angry tirades about your team in all chat. Not only is it unproductive because you're standing still doing nothing for minutes at a time while typing a lot, but I guarantee you that the other team just doesn't care.

I appreciate your analysis and will forward all that information to our jugg. I was skywrath. Also that zeus barely ulted unless it suited him rather than winning teamfights. He was at 0 kills for 90 percent of the game and would just pick off ours to look viable at the end.

And as far as bloodstacking vs sheepstick I think being able lay out 4 out of 5 of the enemy team in one go gives my four other players. plenty of room to take out the one or two guys with a bkb.

vvv Not a problem. The jugg I play with is a goon as well and read your stuff. That was probably his worst game as jugg I've ever seen and doesn't play it often and we morally gave up after 10 minutes. I had to persuade him that we may be able to win it. But the build analysis that you gave can carry over into other matches so that is always appreciated.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 29, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My bad, the Jugg was the name I saw in both games on the Dotabuff there and I didn't see a name mentioned for the Dotabuff links so I just assumed the first name I saw in both links was the one! S'what I get for looking it over early in the morning I guess.

I stand by what I said about that Zeus ulting though.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 29, 2014

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
What should the policy be on towers? Suicide to save them? Or let them fall and regroup at the next tower when everyone has spawned? I'm honestly not sure what the better option is, but in every single game I have a bunch of people standing around, watching the enemy take the tower, and THEN engage once it goes down for some reason. The tower didn't just fall to spells and they sure as hell didn't stand there taking tower shots. Why on earth would you engage AFTER the tower is down? That creep wave you waited for will not help you as much as a tower in a teamfight.

Personally, I think you should try and save the tower. You respawn, the tower does not, and even if the damage isn't great that is still permanent map control/awareness that is lost by losing a tower. I'm not saying that you should always suicide but hey, if running in and spamming your ult gets you killed, but it drives the enemy team back and saves the tower, by all means do that.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Philosopher King posted:

Agreed. I have a problem with tunnel vision on that.
Counterpoint - http://dotabuff.com/players/26726129/matches?hero=skywrath-mage&lobby_type=&game_mode=&match_type=real

Being able to lay down 4 1400 damage aoe's instantly in a row is a lot of fun when just 1 can 1 shot most people, and overlapping them will wipe even the hardest carry. I'm really surprised this isn't more of a thing.

Because no sane team would ever want 15k worth of items on a skywrath. Seriously stop. You are the one actively trying to throw games by building dumb poo poo like that.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Philosopher King posted:

Also that zeus barely ulted unless it suited him rather than winning teamfights. He was at 0 kills for 90 percent of the game and would just pick off ours to look viable at the end.

Yes, you were already told "THAT IS A GOOD THING", Do you want us to engrave it into a stone tablet for you?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

Because no sane team would ever want 15k worth of items on a skywrath. Seriously stop. You are the one actively trying to throw games by building dumb poo poo like that.
hit

I would be more than happy to share more of that gold or even let someone take the last if everyone didnt instantly melt under the ion cannon.

Besides, that buikd first started as a way to ensure lc won every single duel possible until he was balling out of control to take on the bkb's

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

hit

I would be more than happy to share more of that gold or even let someone take the last if everyone didnt instantly melt under the ion cannon.

I just clicked on 6 games at random, your team didn't have a Mek on half of them :shobon:

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Philosopher King posted:

Counterpoint - http://dotabuff.com/players/26726129/matches?hero=skywrath-mage&lobby_type=&game_mode=&match_type=real

Being able to lay down 4 1400 damage aoe's instantly in a row is a lot of fun when just 1 can 1 shot most people, and overlapping them will wipe even the hardest carry. I'm really surprised this isn't more of a thing.

I dunno man winning games where you die 14 times and someone else on your team died 18 is kinda low tier play.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

What do the chinese get for those little skeletons that the troll creeps raise out of the ground?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Philosopher King posted:

hit

Besides, that buikd first started as a way to ensure lc won every single duel possible until he was balling out of control to take on the bkb's

Your CS numbers are abysmal. Don't act like the last hits are yours to take or give out as if your mechanics cannot be contested.

edit:
What's your MMR currently and what do you think your TRUE MMR is?

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 29, 2014

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
The easiest way to get a higher MMR is to take all of that energy that's focused on thinking about how your MMR is too low and how the system is unfair is instead to focus it on watching your own replays and realizing mistakes you make

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Went 6-0 in my first dota2 game(against humans) ever, go me.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

You... you DO realize the second bloodstone doesn't actually gain charges, right? That you're spending 5050 again on just its raw numbers without any of the snowball potential the first one does? You could spend a bit over half that for a Eul's for some speed and utility while still getting some the regen you seem to have a giant boner for. Hell, Eul's+Atos, it's 5800 but the buildup is way easier and useful than a loving second bloodstone. The Atos will even help you land those Totally Sick Ults better.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

Your CS numbers are abysmal. Don't act like the last hits are yours to take or give out as if your mechanics cannot be contested.

On a character where I literally build only 1 +10 attack in my character the whoke game, have no flash farming abilities, and gnerate 15000 gold from kills alone I dont think I need to babaysit a creep lane that long. Though my tower damage does suffer for it. And my denies could be better. Creep score does not make a great player. I wouldnt say that 360 creep score tiny was amazing. In fact id say tbat was a mark against him for not ending the game sooner.

And I didnt realize the super carry had mech responsibility. Nor that having a high rate of death while maintaining having a very high rate of kills and assists meant anything other than you being a threatening priority for the other team.

They shoukd rename the thead "dota: give me enough time and I'll prove youre bad"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

As thread mascot it is my duty to inform you that you are really bad at dota.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Did he just call Skywrath a super carry or did I misread something?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Philosopher King posted:

[Skywrath Mage]....

And I didnt realize the super carry had mech responsibility. Nor that having a high rate of death while maintaining having a very high rate of kills and assists meant anything other than you being a threatening priority for the other team.

I made a helpful guide for you

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

FlyinPingu posted:

Did he just call Skywrath a super carry or did I misread something?

To be fair he is completely whack in games where nobody buys bkb, ganks his frail rear end or even supports buy force staff and laugh at his ult. The hero is really fun to play but against anyone half decent falls off so hard after the beginning.

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
smdh if you've 5k luxury gold to spend on skywrath mage and don't buy an ethereal blade.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Any Skywrath build that doesn't include a Rod of Atos and first item Boots of Travels is hot trash. :colbert:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Philosopher King posted:

On a character where I literally build only 1 +10 attack in my character the whoke game, have no flash farming abilities, and gnerate 15000 gold from kills alone I dont think I need to babaysit a creep lane that long. Though my tower damage does suffer for it. And my denies could be better. Creep score does not make a great player. I wouldnt say that 360 creep score tiny was amazing. In fact id say tbat was a mark against him for not ending the game sooner.

They shoukd rename the thead "dota: give me enough time and I'll prove youre bad"

What's your MMR? Also let's play a game dude. e: added you

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 29, 2014

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Katana Gomai posted:

There are obviously more intricacies to the system (team switch after 15 rounds, CT/T bias, etc.) but this isn't the CS thread and my point was just that in that game, it is at least possible to get back to a point where both teams are, gearwise, equally strong due to the nature of the game, and yet it has a concede option where Dota has none. I play both games and for the record, I can do without the option in both CS:GO and Dota, I just found it amusing. Comebacks are certainly possible in both games.

And in Dota it's possible to have a gold disadvantage and still be in the dominant lategame position because your gold is concentrated on a character with better scaling, e.g. the Spectre game linked above against a Chaos Knight, Tidehunter, Silencer, Nature's Prophet, Axe team. Merely getting back to an even footing in CS, while still being down however many rounds, doesn't even come close to the innate comeback potential in a typical Dota game.

Also, the original mention of CS:GO

quote:

It's worked in some games. It works pretty ok in CS:GO, though it does require that someone abandon first. I've had plenty of surrenders called there - sometimes people get pissed, but usually they don't.

Games in Dota where someone has abandoned are already free to leave, so it's effectively the same system just without a formal vote.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having better last hitting skills will always benefit you no matter what role you play. Mid ganker? Hell yeah, it will help out a lot.

Even as a support it doesn't hurt because sometimes nobody else will be around to farm that juicy minion wave, or to score the last hits when pulling waves.

I recommend trying the Shadowfiend challenge. Make a private game with passive bots, go mid with SF with no items (and never use your skill points), and see how many last hits you can get by the 10 minute mark.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Fish Cake posted:

smdh if you've 5k luxury gold to spend on skywrath mage and don't buy an ethereal blade.

I honestly don't know why I haven't considered this. I really have to try it.

You just gotta compensate for force staff. If the first one doesnt land entirely you can probably pick them off with the 2nd ir 3rd volly.

I considered rod a few times but sky already has a slow and I feel, as a skywrath savant, believe he benefits more from the greater mana pool, heath pool, and regen provided by bloodstone.

I keep forgetting to up to boots of travel but like the armor tranqs provides and usually end up haning into them far too long.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Sudoku posted:

You... you DO realize the second bloodstone doesn't actually gain charges, right? That you're spending 5050 again on just its raw numbers without any of the snowball potential the first one does? You could spend a bit over half that for a Eul's for some speed and utility while still getting some the regen you seem to have a giant boner for. Hell, Eul's+Atos, it's 5800 but the buildup is way easier and useful than a loving second bloodstone. The Atos will even help you land those Totally Sick Ults better.

You make a very compelling point. with atos I could land ion cannon on multiple targets. This sounds like a great idea but what is my overall mana gain or liss going eith one over the other? Another slow us nice but doesnt help if there isnt a follow up second or third volly.

And my cs isnt horrible in lane, I just dont focus on it past laning unless I'm thowing back a wave or pushing. If I'm dominating ill weaken a wave for someone else to flash farm it if they're nearby.

Vvv and I have a 1400 damage nuke that can be casted potentially about 7 times in a row in under 2 seconds. So I'm not sure your point.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 29, 2014

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
You've got a 250 damage (at level 16, with no additional int items!) nuke that costs 70 mana on a 2 second cooldown.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Skywrath does enjoy having a huge mana pool but it is best when said pool is obtained via Int items instead of items that give a flat boost to mana. The scaling on his Q shouldn't be underestimated.

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

The thing is you're kind of doing the same thing to the teammates you view as the reason for your losses, that's why it's usually the thread's knee-jerk response to posts about MMR hell. When you're in the middle of a game you'll always see your team's failures more clearly than their successes. Conversely, when you have a bad game or just do the occasional thing wrong you can brush it off easily because it's balanced against all the good plays you remember well. You don't have that kind of perspective for the random people you're matched with.

I'm only like 3.5k MMR so I won't pretend to be able to dissect your play. But I really recommend watching the replays of all your games several days after you played them and trying to assess what you did with the same critical eye you apply to your teammates. It's much easier to be honest about what you did right and wrong when you watch games a bit after they were played, and if you're systematic about it I'm sure you'll find games where you were the worst out of your team. Those times you were the anchor your teammates probably saw you the same way you saw that Zeus/Tiny.

The bottom line is you're the only common factor in all your games, so if you want to increase your MMR the only thing worth paying any attention to is your own play. That's why everyone wants to prove your bad, because realizing the many ways in which you suck is the only real way to improve. Not praying for perfect teammates who never gently caress up.

DrWhom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 29, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sudoku posted:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/276937637

Noted bad player Dendi seems to disagree with your Bloodstone mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zJwVZoDbZs

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

YouTuber posted:

Are you joking?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Please... please stop. Please don't be that guy.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

YouTuber posted:

Multiple bloodstones don't gain charges. He rotates which one is in the highest priority slot to build up charges on the other ones.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Skyl3lazer posted:

Multiple bloodstones don't gain charges. He rotates which one is in the highest priority slot to build up charges on the other ones.

I never said you would get 3 charges per kill.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

YouTuber posted:

Some times it's great to have 3 bloodstones. Build and max them successively and you have unlimited mana essentially.

...He built 3 bloodstones because the game was a loving joke and it didn't matter at all, not because it's "good". He was playing in normal bracket that game, which means the search range expansion was enormous and/or he was playing with a friend that had 1k MMR. He could have built 6 soul boosters and achieved the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Honestly I feel like that would be more fun on Medusa than Skywrath. I wonder if anyone has done that, tried to become the invincible Medusa.

• Locked thread