Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Bloody posted:

gonna grab all the bonus points here and say weed-fuelled computer

more the weed number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

paulaner's good

i'm no beer snob but hefeweizen in my experience has a wheaty kind of flavor, you can definitely taste the grain, and it is light and sort of fruity and not very bitter at all. if you like mega hops you won't like it. people say things like "bananas" and "cloves" about the flavor but w/e i don't know/don't notice. i like it on hot days.

hefeweizen is just unfiltered wheat beer btw. if you filter out the yeast then it's a kristallweizen but it's the same thing to start

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doc Block posted:

never had one

no idea what it's supposed to taste like

a german guy i know said Paulaner was the only non-poo poo imported hefeweizen and i should try some before i go and brew 5 gallons of it.

got a couple hours before i have to go to a family function, maybe i'll pick some up. can anyone c/d Paulaner being a good hefeweizen? or another good one?

Paulaner is a good place to start. i'm also partial to Weihenstephan and Schneider, Maisels.
Franziskaner and Erdinger are more common but not that great, imho.

Sagebrush posted:

paulaner's good

i'm no beer snob but hefeweizen in my experience has a wheaty kind of flavor, you can definitely taste the grain, and it is light and sort of fruity and not very bitter at all. if you like mega hops you won't like it. people say things like "bananas" and "cloves" about the flavor but w/e i don't know/don't notice. i like it on hot days.

hefeweizen is just unfiltered wheat beer btw. if you filter out the yeast then it's a kristallweizen but it's the same thing to start

kristallweizen is kinda lame just make an hefe.

personally i do get the banana and clove notes often from hefeweizen.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
paulaner it is then. my family already thinks i'm a beer snob for not drinking budweiser, coors, miller, etc.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doc Block posted:

paulaner it is then. my family already thinks i'm a beer snob for not drinking budweiser, coors, miller, etc.

it's too bad because american macrobrew lager is absolute dogshit. same goes for heineken

the past 10 years or so have been fantastic for american micro breweries and i've drank lots of great, great beers from the us of a.

and i live about an hour from belgium now, and before i moved here lived 30 minutes from germany (guess which country i live) so there is no shortage of excellent beers here.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, people who say american beer is idiot pisswater for babies have only tried the big macro brews (which are indeed idiot pisswater for babies). i live down the street from a micro brewery and it's good poo poo man.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a lot of it is a real minefield though. you get something that looks like it'll be good and then BAM 1 MILLION IBUS MEGA HOPS

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
i hate that poo poo. one of the reasons i was interested in brewing a hefeweizen in the first place was because somebody told me it has a low bitterness.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

yeah, people who say american beer is idiot pisswater for babies have only tried the big macro brews (which are indeed idiot pisswater for babies). i live down the street from a micro brewery and it's good poo poo man.

i also live down the street from a micro

i have never filled a growler there but they have a pretty cool and varied selection to go with their food

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

filled a growler

i know what this means but it always sounds like a euphemism for taking a poo poo

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

two growlers filling back and forth forever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

i know what this means but it always sounds like a euphemism for taking a poo poo

Lolll

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

c mail s: i received two packages in the mail today. one was from digi-key and one was from aliexpress.

i ordered the digi-key one on wednesday at 11pm
i ordered the aliexpress one on feb. 8

on the plus side, now i have a bunch more attinys, some high power SCRs, and a crapload of little protoboards for next to no money at all.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

c mail s: i received two packages in the mail today. one was from digi-key and one was from aliexpress.

i ordered the digi-key one on wednesday at 11pm
i ordered the aliexpress one on feb. 8

on the plus side, now i have a bunch more attinys, some high power SCRs, and a crapload of little protoboards for next to no money at all.

i don't get scrs its a transistor thats like impossible to turn off or something idk whats up with that

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

everything you bought on aliexpress is guaranteed fake - especially if it was the SCRs

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
drinking a paulaner right now and it's p good, a++ would drink again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

everything you bought on aliexpress is guaranteed fake - especially if it was the SCRs

i bought the protoboards on aliexpress. i dunno how you'd fake a piece of fiberglass w/ some holes in it but i imagine the chinese could find a way

but yeah i buy things on aliexpress expecting at least 1 in 5 to blow up, all of them fake and won't stand up to the official specs, etc. so far i've had pretty good results and most of the stuff works. and the prices are just nuts, like you can buy 10 little sonar rangefinder boards from aliexpress for the price of 1 american-made parallax ping sensor so even if 8 of them are DOA you still come out half price. and last time I bought 5 of them all 5 worked. sooo

peepsalot posted:

i don't get scrs its a transistor thats like impossible to turn off or something idk whats up with that

internally it's two transistors feeding each other so the only way to turn it off is to bring the current down below the point where it conducts, yeah. they can handle a huge current surge though so they're good for rectifying AC in things like welders (they shut off whenever the waveform crosses zero). in my case i'm using them to control the output from a hv capacitor because i want instantaneous turn-on and then once it's conducting i want to dump all the energy in the capacitor, don't need to shut off at all until it's back down to nothing and ready to recharge. perfect for this application.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

peepsalot posted:

scrs fuckin own, it's free PWM off an AC signal with a couple resistors

well thats a triac really but same concept

scr's are for dc pulses yea

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

peepsalot posted:

two growlers filling back and forth forever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sports posted:

i live next to this

That owns. They own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tee hee! i shot a 1/2" screw across my room :science:

not very fast but enough that the coil recoiled on the table and it went about 10 feet. s'cool

time to hook up the rectifiers for computer control and add more capacitors!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are you just using randomly wound coils or did you calculate wire loss/inductance to make it a tuned circuit sorta?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i calculated it enough to ensure that the resistance + inductance of the coil would be enough that it wouldn't melt in the pulse but haven't really gone beyond that, no. i can never wind coils nicely enough that the calculations would be accurate anyway and i don't have an lcr meter so eh.

this is about all the performance that i wanted out of it anyway so i'm good. just enough to go *poink* and throw things across the room electromagnetically. i'm not into breaking things or killing things, just :science:

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

i calculated it enough to ensure that the resistance + inductance of the coil would be enough that it wouldn't melt in the pulse but haven't really gone beyond that, no. i can never wind coils nicely enough that the calculations would be accurate anyway and i don't have an lcr meter so eh.

this is about all the performance that i wanted out of it anyway so i'm good. just enough to go *poink* and throw things across the room electromagnetically. i'm not into breaking things or killing things, just :science:

You're going to electrocute yourself.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

youll shoot ur eye out

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're going to electrocute yourself.

he died and yospos is his punishment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theadder posted:

he died and yospos is his punishment

yep

but seriously i wear safety glasses and the capacitors are enough to kill if you get blasted with them juuust right but if you keep one hand in your pocket the worst that's going to happen is you get a buzzing hand for a day. it's a lot safer than, say, loading your own ammunition for a rifle

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

yep

but seriously i wear safety glasses and the capacitors are enough to kill if you get blasted with them juuust right but if you keep one hand in your pocket the worst that's going to happen is you get a buzzing hand for a day. it's a lot safer than, say, loading your own ammunition for a rifle

for added safety, the other hand should be making a peace sign or playing the piano

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

J/o w/ one hand, electronic with the other, see which one fills up first

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Trig Discipline posted:

for added safety, the other hand should be making a peace sign or playing the piano

lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

tee hee! i shot a 1/2" screw across my room :science:

not very fast but enough that the coil recoiled on the table and it went about 10 feet. s'cool

time to hook up the rectifiers for computer control and add more capacitors!

post a video and pics. thx.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Elder Postsman posted:

post a video and pics. thx.

For Smythe's sake, make sure the video has you launching a stiletto heel into your balls

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
im getting pretty excited cuz my amp project is gonna happen soon. Got all my parts picked, just gotta get that work certification and my toys are gonna be BOUGHT.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Trig Discipline posted:

:argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doc Block posted:

drinking a paulaner right now and it's p good, a++ would drink again

:cheers:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that my budweiser-drinking family drank more of the paulaner than i did.

edit: to be fair, my dad is starting to expand his horizons beyond budweiser, and my cousin is one of those "Man, I wish I could add more hops to this Double IPA!" type of people.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 30, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i like hoppy ipa's as much as the next guy but there is a limit geez

e: same goes for peaty scotch. i really like peaty and smoky islay whiskies but i tried a bruichladdich octomore a couple of weeks ago and that is just crazy levels of peat

sports
Sep 1, 2012
all of the small craft brew outfits i've swilled from suffer from over-gravity, over-hoppiness, and all their "specialty" beers take a pretty well-known or well-balanced recipe and put tons and tons of blueberries or chocolate or ham hocks or whatever in the beer.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
nothing wrong with a good blueberry chockohamhockenmeister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
but they get really imbalanced. sometimes with those kinds of beer i just mix them with vodka like i would fruit juice