Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
At The Meet

"Hey you're missing something in that manifest. I need a soviet bloc sniper rifle and some form of shotgun that the berbers would use. It doesn't have to be russian made, at that stage any pump action shotgun would do. At the very least rechamber my Ares Desert Strike so it uses Russian Ammunition. No ones gonna be alive who sees me or my gear so I'm not concerned on that score. Also how about we just mortar the place straight up. Use a rotodrone to spot and adjust fire but otherwise its low tech and random mortar strikes I'm pretty sure are a rebels past time.

Ares Desert Strike in 4th edition does 8P and -3 AP damage in this edition 12P/-4 AP.

Base Stateline for the Desert Strike 5th
Ares Desert Strike 7 13P –4 SA (1) 14 (c) 10F 17,500¥
For comparison 4th edition Arsenal
Ares Desert Strike 8P -3 SA (1) 14(c) 10F 3,350¥

Options for alternate rifles besides home brewing up a soviet bloc rifle is this from core 4th
Walter MA-2100 7P –3 AP SA (1) 10 (m) 10F 5,000¥

Or an anti material rifle adjusted for 5th edition stats. An independent (non ares) company that could probably have its weapons sold on the black market. From Arsenal
Barett Model 121 9P -4 AP SA (2) 14(c) 9,000¥

Speaking of mortars here are some quick stat notes (using 4th edition core/arsenal sourcebook compared to 5th)
AV Rockets (4th): 16P -2/-6* (Against Vehicles) Blast -4/m
AV Rockets (5th): 24P -4/-10 (Vehicles/Barriers) Blast -4/m
AV Mortars (4th): 16P -2/-6* (Against Vehicles Blast -4/m
Frag Rockets (4th): 16p(f) +5 Blast -1/m
Frag Rockets (5th): 23p(f) +5 Blast -1/m
Frag Mortars (4th): 18P(f) +2 Blast -1/m
HE Rockets (4th): 14P -2 Blast -2/m
HE Rockets (5th): 16P -2 Blast -2/m
HE Mortars (4th): 15P -2 Blast -2/m
Inferno Rocket (4th): 6/12P +0/half Blast -/-2/m
White Phosphorus Mortars (4th): 12/6P -half -1/m
M-12 Portable Mortable System Damage: As Mortar Round AP: As Mortar Round Mode: SS RC: - Ammo: 1 Avail: 16F Cost 2,250 4th edition

Please consider converting mortars/inferno rockets/white phosphorus mortars (they have grenades as well at 8P/4P AP -half -1/m Blast)
to 5th edition standard.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer

"I vould suggest, after looking at ze dossier, zat we assault from ze west, using ze rockets to destroy das generator, here. Zen, we burst in, using a ground vehicle, through ze fence, and begin setting ze charges, while covering possible contact points."

Franz twitches a little, his hands jerking a little. "And in ze event of civilian casualties, I highly doubt zat Berber's care very much if some civilians are injured. We want zis authentic, ja?"

He leans back in his chair, and looks serious for a moment. "And I am to assume my arms are off limits for zis? Or do ze Berbers also use cybernetics?"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Nina Walker

"As much as we're trying to make this look like a rebel attack, if there aren't any journalists left, then there won't be a reason to buy the journalists new helicopters. We're trying to make this look like sabotage, not an assault." Nina looks up from her cyberdeck, then back towards the information from the dossier. "We also don't want the journalists to leave. If they leave, then the whole Desert Wars thing turns into real military wargames, where no one cares who wins."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Vance nods curtly, and taps his iComm a few times. It buzzes back at him, and then he says, "I think we can get an SVD available. We'll cover the cost. Unlike Matches' request, this will be relatively inexpensive. I'll make sure a few magazines are included as well. As for your other request, simply put, mortars are out of the scope of the mission: they require immense precision and accurate satellite coverage, which is out of the scope of the Berber rebel infrastructure as we know it. That aside, a full-frontal attack will be more pyrotechnic and garner more coverage, which will make our vehicle donation more popular."

"Cybernetics may also be unusual in poor Saharan immigrants, but they aren't unheard of. You may consider relying on AK-97s for authenticity, however. And in the event of civilian casualties, there will be immense press coverage and mourning. We're trying to incite outrage and coverage, not large-scale political conflicts. Miss Walker is correct: if you kill a dozen soldiers, it garners ratings. If you kill a dozen news reporters, the other twelve dozen will be rethinking their careers."

------------------------------------------
The Assassin's Handbook includes the SVD:
Acc 6 (7) / 12P / –2 AP / SA / 10(c) / 6R / 1100¥
- Imaging Scope

You can bolt your own scope on, though, no trouble. Universal mounts and all.

I will look into grenades and mortars this weekend.

Edit: Modified the SVD Stats.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 31, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 4500 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 23

"Sure, half a loving hour to go score a loving machine gun. Can you at least get me a fuckin pack to hold the charges in? I can prep um on the flight over. I'll be back in a few"

And with that he heads into a strange city to buy a machine gun real quick.

What do I roll for this?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

What is the Assassin's Handbook? Thats a bit weak imo. The Remington 950 which is a hunting rifle hits at 12P AP -4 with a book price of 2,100,I'd be more of a mind to take that instead. It or an equivalent rifle also probably could be found among the berbers as well considering its a simple bolt action rifle. I've no need for the semi auto mode, I just need my shots to hit hard and punch through armor as much as I can. Also APDS is the only type of ammunition I'm willing to use even if I have to front the cost myself. Let me know what it'll cost.

If I'm stuck with the SVD though I'll try to make it work but I don't like my odds. It won't be able to penetrate armored soldiers, I'd have to exclusively call my shots and go for an unprotected area and get away with a ton of poo poo courtesy of you to be viable.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Bell 'Casustic Bell' Underhilde

"Regarding the civilians, are there anyone in the group that are magically active?" Bell pipes up, "So I need to know how subtle I can be."

Or not to be, that is the question!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Vance gives Bell a shrug. "I'm not certain. I haven't asked for dossiers on the reporters present. Try not to make it loud and obvious, I suppose. Then again, a news story about a mage rebel attacking the facility might sell better."

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Birch

"Half an hour? poo poo, it took an hour to get here. Guess I can hit the drone market quick instead."
With that Birch follows the temperamental ork out to the bustling city, intent on buying a (working) Roto-Drone, with a pair of weapon mounts.

Much like Matches I'm not sure exactly how this works.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Matches, Birch, roll Charisma + TV Rating.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Dess
Nuyen: 13000 Rating: 7.5

Keeping tabs of the various requests and variables floating around the room were difficult to keep factored in, but between the satellite photos, the patrol and security intel, and the surrounding topography, there was at least some weakness here to be exploited. The numbers were low, but the armaments were high. Government soldiers, and no aims at appearing otherwise. Getting caught in a straight firefight would be just a few rungs under suicidal without good gear. Dess idly began tracing notes over the general airfield snapshot. Taking a stand, but still obviously lost in the details, she turns her attention to Mr. Vance.

"Transport on standby? On site? Point me to it. I plan better in a fuselage than an office."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker

"I think once we have our gear, it should be easy enough to get done with the plan we got. I can help with tactical movement, as I'm not exactly the best shot with one of those AKs." Nina nods over at Dess, thinking the same thing. "Best be moving before it gets too late. We'll be in and out before you know it."

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Birch

Rotodrone aquistition: 8d6=2, 4, 2, 4, 4, 3, 6, 4]

Birch's haggling skills leave much to be desired. Or maybe the seller was a trog.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 6280 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 23

Popping out to pick up an Machine Gun: 8d6t5 3

Not to bad. Can we retcon it to say I was looking for an PKP rather then a RPK? I got my commie guns mixed up, I really wanted a medium machinegun to help knock the choppers out.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 29, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Vance nods at Dess, and says, "It's on standby. They're loading up the SVD and the vests now, and it will fly it over here for a roof pickup when you need it. Contact the rigger when it's go time. He's reachable with internal Ares Contact Code AE25F-A66A-32FB4."

Glancing at his watch and then the door, he continues, "Is there anything else you need? I've got another meeting at 2130, and more arrangements to make. Are there any other last-minute details?"

You leave the building, rejoining the overfull city streets to find your last-minute hardware, and you notices Matches leaving just after you. Within ten minutes, you find a small drone store, well-lit and scattered with electronics, that has four Lockheed-made rotodrones, slightly used, at 6000 each. There's an ork man behind the counter, sporting chipped tusks and a blue mohawk, that smiles as you look the rotodrones over. "Heya, pal! Looking for some fliers? I've got these four, Lockheed Kestrals. They've got weapon mounts pre-installed, and I'll throw in the uzis on them right now for free. Say, weren't you on TV earlier?"

pre:

Lockheed Kestral
Hand 3, Speed 4, Accel 3, Body 3, Armor 2, Pilot 4, Sensor 3, Avail 6, Cost 4000

Used: Speed -1, Sensor -1                                              Cost 3000
+ Weapon Mount                                                              2500
+ Uzi                                                                        450
TOTAL                                                                       5950

You start walking the city streets looking for a large machine gun, and you see Birch duck into a drone store a block or so down. As you come to the intersection, you see an elven man on the corner selling guns out of a large, rotating glass case on the sidewalk. He looks European, and as you get closer you watch him sell off a Remington Roomsweeper to a young Lonestart-branded soldier. He's finishing the transaction when you hear his this Slavic accent, as he says, "Da, thank you."

And then you see it: the classic piece of Russian hardware, sitting next to a great belt of ammunition. It was a PKP, but it had been chromed and modified with a shock pad and gas venting system. Even so, it gleamed in the case, and an arrow reading 6000 floated next to it.

pre:

PKP MMG
Acc 5 / 12P / -2AP / FA / 0RC  / 50c or 100b / 12F / 5000
+ Bipod

+ Chrome                                              500
+ Gas Vent 2                                          400
+ Shock Pad                                            50

TOTAL                                                5950

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 31, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 280 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 23

Oh for fucks sake, what kinda fuckin tacky rear end Russian mobster bullshit is this? Why the gently caress would you chrome a loving machine gun?

"Hey buddy, lemmy see that PKP, I wanna see if Ivan hosed the thing when he had it dipped."

Did Ivan the Bubba gently caress up this loving gun. (LOG +: 10d6t5 2
And I glitched, so I guess I bought it at full price, hope it doesnt suck too much!

Matches gives the gun a quick once over, mostly trying to see if the chrome hosed up anything important.

QuantumNinja posted:

You start walking the city streets looking for a large machine gun, and you see Birch duck into a drone store a block or so down. As you come to the intersection, you see an elven man on the corner selling guns out of a large, rotating glass case on the sidewalk. He looks European, and as you get closer you watch him sell off a Remington Roomsweeper to a young Lonestart-branded soldier. He's finishing the transaction when you hear his this Slavic accent, as he says, "Da, thank you."

And then you see it: the classic piece of Russian hardware, sitting next to a great belt of ammunition. It was a PKP, but it had been chromed and modified with a shock pad and gas venting system. Even so, it gleamed in the case, and an arrow reading 6000 floated next to it.

pre:

PKP MMG
Acc 5 / 12P / -2AP / FA / 0RC  / 50c or 100b / 12F / 5000

+ Chrome                                              500
+ Gas Vent 2                                          400
+ Shock Pad                                            50

TOTAL                                                5950

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Birch

Birch tries to hide his distaste as he examines the Kestrels. Lockheed was a great company, and they made lots of great drones. The Kestrel was not one of these great drones. Half the potential firepower of their MCT-Nissan competitor, and with a design that handles like a porcelain toilet with wings. And that was NEW, which these things definitely were not. Every single one needed an engine overhaul and sensor rewiring. Birch needed a drone with firepower on it, but he'd be damned if he would pay one nuyen more than he had to on these flying scrap piles.

"Oh the interview? Yeah, not exactly my kinda thing. 'Least I did better than that ork fellow. That guy doesn't seem to mind living up to just about every trog stereotype there is. Would you believe he threw a fit over me graciously offering to loan him some ammo? And I'll take just one, thankyou. With two hundred and fifty rounds of explosive ammo if you have it. If not I'll take the regular."

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Resources: 9030 Rating: 8

Darius shakes his head in answer to Vance's questions and heads in the direction of the roof.

OOC: My vote is for the stealthy approach as far as actual strategy.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

After another moment waiting, Vance gives a short nod toward the group and says, "Thank you. Do tonight right, and we'll be sure your squad is taken care of in the games. Satellite blackout should end around 0100 on our current timeline, so try to make sure you're out of sight by then. Your hazard payment will be in your Ares accounts the moment I've confirmed the job is complete. And I personally look forward to seeing each and every one of you compete in the Desert Challenge. I hope that we've got Alpha Company on the winner's podium at the end of this."

He flashes his pearly-white teeth, too shiny not to be out of a lab somewhere, and steps out of sight, into the darkness of Training Facility B. You're left less a rigger and a murderous ork, full dossiers laid out in front of you, with maybe thirty minutes to spare.

Last-minute things to do before heading out?

The ork grins, and retrieves the best-looking of the drones for you. He sets it on the counter, and you can see the desert sand worn into every last crevice: if you could just give the thing a solid cleaning, in and out, it would probably clear up every problem it had. While you look the hardware over, he also retrieves your ammunition: faded carboard covered in Russian letters and cartoonish drawings of dynamite sticks covered. "I stock this for my special customers, but a fellow like you knows all about that."

As he punches his commlink to ring you up, he says, "So, the Desert Challenge, huh? Your first time, right? How's that gonna be? That'll be the six thousand nuyen, plus another two thousand for the bullets. Credit or cash? I prefer large, non-sequential bills, Captain Corp."

His broken-tooth grin just grates at you, really, the ugly ork.

You give the chromed gun a once-over, marvelling at the rear end in a top hat who did the job and how little he must have known about the weapon: every part of the gun seemed to be covered in the poo poo coating, from the firing pin to the bipod to the inside of the flash covering. What kind of rear end in a top hat tries to chrome the interior of a flash covering on a machine gun? But all things considered, the gun did gleam. And it looked to be in working order to boot. The man smiles and says, "Da, good matchine gun. Got last week, tested myself."

The man swipes your card on his commlink, and even offers you a printed receipt with a logo that reads "Dr. Ivan's Crazy Arms Sales". And before you really know it, you're headed back to Training Facility B with what's either an effective weapon of death or an oddly-shaped mirror.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 31, 2014

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Dess

Finalizing whatever notes were left to take on the airfield map, Dess ditches the pen and switches off to her Avalon, giving each document a quick scan into the device. Better to pan the documents in AR form, easier management. She opens the Ares messenger, plugging the necessary fields and belting off a quick message on their coordination channel.

AE25F-A66A-32FB4 posted:

-----BEGIN UNSIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: A66A
Sent: 10:23 PM Local Time.
To: ARES INT RCVR

Site B roof. 10 minutes.

-----END UNSIGNED MESSAGE-----

Unsigned. The Ares channels used their own internal encryption to block access, though not the hardest to crack open, but in the noise storm of corporate memorandum and messaging already saturating this city it would be lost quickly to whomever wasn't on the receiving end.

"Okay, we're sent. Just a matter of time now. Floor seventy-five landing pad when you're ready to go."

Clicking out of the Ares mapping system for the training site B complex, Dess hits off to the elevator with whomever was trailing along, dropping her scanned dossier in the refuse disposal by the door on her way out

----

At the roof, Dess sat herself on the landing pad steps, pulling a projection of the dossier satellite images and map from her commlink , spawning up a few icons as she'd wait for the rest of the crew.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Nuyen: 20000 Rating: 7

Bell glances at whatever is inside the dossiers for any additional informations, scanning them in her comlink to take another look at them when she receives a message on the team's coordination channel.

Time to kill, time to make friends, or both in this desert, Bell sighs, heading out to shred her copy of the dossier before heading over to airfield.

-----

Once she arrives to the roof, she beelines towards Dess.

"The briefing seems simple enough," Bell deadpans, wondering what reaction she would get. "All we got to do is kick the tires and light the fires."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker
TV Ratings: 7.5

Nina also scanned some of the dossiers into her cyberdeck, giving her something to help on the ground while everything's moving.

Nina made her way to the rooftop, catching up with the others there. She nodded in greeting to each of them again. "So, how fast do you think we can get this done?"

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Birch

Birch grinds his teeth and grudgingly handed over the eight grand to the smug trog. If he wasn't in such a rush he'd attempt to haggle the price down. It was criminal that he was paying nearly the cost of a proper drone for a disposable poo poo heap like this Kestrel. His unpleasant purchase completed, he ran out the door with his rusty prize, suddenly anxious not to be late or left behind for the Op. He at least had to get back before that brute and whatever useless hunk of scrap he undoubtedly purchased.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 280 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 23

Matches walks back into the barracks with his tacky prize. He wishes he had more time to look it over, but prepping the charges is more pressing. He figures there is always a AK97 if this fucker goes tits up.

Matches is bringing along the chrome monster, his flamer and 4 refills, the riot shield across his back and his medikit. He is wearing his combat armor and has his helmet. Let's say he grabbed a cheap backpack to hold the provided det charges in.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
Mr. White goes over the dossiers provided in detail while he awaits delivery of the Dragunov SVD to his specifications with appropriate ammo. Being disturbed in the middle of his studies by a commlink call from the armorer. "Hey man hows it going. Yeah I know its a rush job but you know corporate man, is the work done? What? What do you mean you can't mount the smart link on the top rail? Look, calm down. Name the parts you need and I'll go into town and bring them to you myself. Yeah I'll be over at the armory in 2 mics, we'll ride out." Mr. White then makes quick jaunt into town to secure spare parts to ensure proper mounting of a external smart link system, a compatible vision magnification vision mod, a bipod, and about 50 rounds of APDS chambered for the rifle.

Tell me whats covered by Ares and whats covered by me gg

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Nuyen: 20000 Rating: 7

"Gods know fast enough to please our employers," Bell shrugs cheerfully, turning towards Nina, "How do you do the things that you do so well that seems like voodoo to everyone around?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The response comes back almost instantly: whoever was flying, they must have been waiting on you.

code:
Hash: A66A

GOCODE Alpha. ETA 10 minutes. 

And then you had the entire map in your Avalon, perfectly laid out in augmented reality and littered with AROs shared with your team. With any luck, this would be just like that time in Zimbabwe.

You get the information into your commlink doubly-quick, and end up on the roof with Dess, an AR structure of the blueprints hovering between you as you wait for the air support. The team's commlinks had been synchronized during routine training earlier that day, and everything seemed to be intact as you see the 10-minute ETA buzz in your vision.

The files go in easy, your deck nearly buzzing with energy from its full battery as you hit the roof of the structure.

You're just heading back when your commlink buzzes: air pickup will be there in 10 minutes, just enough time to hustle back with your sand-covered poo poo-heap Kestrel. As you reach the door, you see the ork round the corner from the other end of the street, a gently caress-off shiny machine gun slung over his shoulder. A clown's gun, really, because the lord knows he needed more help looking absurd. And what's more, Mr. White is just on his way out when his commlink lights up and he stops in his tracks.

As you complete your purchase, your commlink lights up: only 10 minutes until the air transport arrives, and it's a ten-minute walk. You make your way quick, headed for the training facility, and the entire time the chromed gun seems to reflect the light from your AROs. As you get closer to the facility, though, you realize whatever rear end in a top hat covered it in chrome painted the whole thing in an ARO to give it that extra shine, almost like a cartoon, and it seemed wired in good enough that you'd need a decker to rip it out.

Yeah. This gun.

As you round the last corner, you see the dwarf rigger hauling an ancient-looking rotodrone inside, and he takes a moment to look over your obscene purchase.

The explosives are in a bag.

The panicked call from the armorer was some of the dumbest poo poo you had dealt with in a while, but what could you really expect? It wasn't like you had called up Bristles and told him you'd be at his loft in half an hour and you needed a rush job on a thermal-scope throwaway rifle. He'd have had it done and polished by the time you got there, but these Corp assholes couldn't fit a smartlink on an SVD with a full workbench? Didn't Berber rebles do it in caves and desert camps?

But you head for the door, intent on finding the parts to make thinsg go easy, and you make it as far as the lobby before your commlink lights up again.

code:
Hash: A66B

poo poo, got it. Bolts weren't going on right because 
I thought it should be 3/8ths instead of 11mm. 
Everything should be snapped into place in time, 
but I'm gonna have to hop on the chopper and finish 
it there. Got the APDS, too.

Before you can turn back, you watch Birch come through the door with an old piece of scrap with an uzi strapped to it, and right after him Matches with a Pecheng, like the one Bristles had above his mantle, except this has every inch chromed.

You get onto the roof without trouble, but each empty floor of the structure was more unnerving. The next few minutes pass faster than you'd think on the roof, and soon enough there's a blue Hughes Stallion setting down. A lone dwarf's tucked in the seats, frantically adjusting the smartgun system mounted on an SVD and consulting a cyberdeck with each tweak, and he introduces himself as you climb aboard. "Hi, I'm Fadil, ended up coming along so that I could get this poo poo bolted together on the way. That's okay, right?"

Before anyone could respond, he went back to his work, trying to make the last-minute adjustments required to get everything in place.

The gear is scattered across the back of the cargo area: a large, black bag held the SEMTEX, another contained the armor vests and Berber clothing, and the AKs piled into a huge, canvas duffle. The Strikers and miniwelder each got their own attache cases, and the Meta Links were tossed into a plastic bin, but not the worse for wear. When you're all aboard, the commlink channel opens up and you hear another voice, "This is Polecat, I'll be your pilot this evenin', folks. Now y'all all loaded on up, we'll go 'head get this bird in the air."

The Hughes whined and shivered as cool desert breezes swept the rooftops of the overgrown city, but soon enough there was nothing but smooth sand disappearing below. The sliver of a moon is clear away from the city light, and the evening air is nice, maybe even perfect. There's just enough cloud coverage to make your life easy without hiding all the stars: a good night for desert ops.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 1, 2014

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Dess

All things loaded and going over the different hits, barring any overzealous reporters or wannabe heroes this hit should glide over just as smooth as the S-K heavy industry mine in Zimbabwe. A clean in/out and an entire security force left reeling, wondering what just sucker punched their collective jaws. Of course, that operation always left a bad taste in her mouth. Aztecnology moved in quick to sweep up any floundering market available, but that was part of the point. Anything to knock S-K down a peg and make way for Ares, even if it meant handing swaths of rare earth metals over to the Big A.

"Yeah, should go something like that..."

----

Dess didn't say too much between arriving on the roof and the arrival of their transport. Group planning moved quicker than scattered figuring. Once the heavy pickup touched down, the gears were turning, pushing past the dwarf by the bay door towards the back. Aks, commlinks, and outfits, it was all here, so she dropped her gear and suited up, ditching the Ares fatigues for a rigid armor vest and one of the the shin length berber coats stuffed into a bag. It'd take a little time to adjust to moving in the sort of loose hanging wear the local rebels were decked out in, but with any hope running would be done at a minimum.

"Okay. We have the better part of an hour to settle on a plan."

She'd click through her Transys commlink on the jumpseat to pull up a very roughly scribbled on map, handily swiped from the dossier.

"Landscape around the facility seems mostly flat. Reduces blowaway sand from the heavy traffic, so our best bet would be to move in from the south, here. Counterclockwise guard rotation, so it should be have the most time between patrol checks, we can cut a big enough hole through with the welder. There's a chance the fence is electrified, and if it is, a big chance the electricity is wired to the alarm grid, so we'll need to be prepared for that."

Picking up a metalink from the bin and wrapping it over her arm, she makes a momentary link with her Avalon, AR marking over the two points at either end of the airfield.

"Our highest risk is from the sniper tower and the guard outpost. The outpost could be a target if we wanted to hit the most guards on the ground, but it's optional at best. The tower sniper is non negotiable. Kill him or flush him out. The rows of helicopters should cover us from there, along with the smoke grenades... White, since the sniper rifle is yours, I'm assuming that's what you're planning on using."

She'd motion off to the dwarf clinking and fidgeting away on a makeshift workbench, bringing the lightly aged marksman rifle back to the present.

"There should be a small dune or hill just near where we'll set down. From the south, that should give you a long reach over the airfield and a good spot to remove the tower guard, yes? We can keep in touch with you via the metalinks, and we'll mark out targets as we see them. We'll have to be conservative on the thermal smoke if we want cover fire... Minus White, that leaves us with eight on the ground, and two explosives experts. You and you-"

Dess points both to the Dwarven mage, Bell, it was, and the large Ork lugging a signalling mirror.

"-Will handle the semtex. The two of you-"

Still keeping a motion pinned on the Ork, she swaps over to include Bradford in his trademark Firewatch swagger.

"-, If I read your profiles right, should take a Striker each. We'll split into two teams of four and keep a close formation. Once we're in between the helicopter rows they'll shy away from any explosives or area of effect weapons. Likely no suppression fire either. Their job is to protect the hardware... I don't know how we should break the teams, but my only other thoughts are we can hit the generator as an option, or put one of out people up in the guard tower with a striker... Other than that... Anyone suggestions? Addition? Alternate plans?"

Although she paced with a stern, detached meter in her voice, all in all the cut of her attitude marked with more rushed than commanding, she opens the floor to any opposed ideas.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Karl Bradford
Nuyen: 2683 Rating: 7

After suiting up in the supplied gear and checking the action on the AK (a bit grimy, but functionally sound), Karl settles into the bucket seat at the back of the Hughes. The disguise is itchy and uncomfortably hot considering the desert terrain, but he's put up with far worse.

"I can make a push for one of the guard towers and take out the watchman, try to keep things quiet until the fireworks start. I assume we'll have any cameras hacked to cover our entrance?"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 4500 TV Rating 7

After getting settled into the chopper, Matches turns to Nina:

"Hey, any chance you can get the loving shine off of this fuckin thing? I can try and tape over the fuckin chrome but that AR poo poo has got to loving go, loving tack-rear end russians. "

He then begins to check over the charges and detonators, building them into slim, flat 1kg charges, something that could easily be wedged into a gap in the choppers. When he is done the charges go in a pack with the riot shield hanging over them. This doesnt seem like a "get shot in the loving back" kinda gig but you never fuckin know.

When the charges are all squared away he turns his attention to the Strikers, giving them a quick once over. He is going to keep them in their duffle for now.

"Oi, any of you able to hump these for me? I wanna use the charges to blow the fuckin choppers and save these fuckers incase we run into any real resistance."

I have 11d6 for LOG + Demo so I would like to buy 3 hits to prep the charges and check everything over. If this isnt ok can try and roll this afternoon.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker

Nina's attention gets drawn back into the conversation once she hears the words camera followed by her name. "Yeah, I can get the cameras. Shouldn't be too much work, but it should keep me busy. As far as your gun goes, what makes you think I wanna touch that thing? Looks like two guns and a chrome arm tried to slot and got stuck that way. Just stick with tape, we're getting all this stuff hidden after the job, don't need to do real work on anything."

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Nina Walker

"Would you be able to keep an eye on the civvies inside the place?" Bell inquires of Nina, taking a look at the diagram closely. "I am sure I can whip out something to keep anyone involved to stay out of it but I rather not have to do it since I'm helping Matches with the kablooie stuff."

Bell glances over at Matches checking off their supply of explosives. "Hey Matches, split some of that stuff up, will ya? Sometimes a girl has to do her own work without resorting to the magicks all the time."

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Birch

Birch wasn't suprised the ork had somehow managed to buy an even more worthless looking piece of equipment than he had. At least if the ridiculous chromed gun gave them away it would draw attention to the ork, instead of someone useful. Ignoring the ork for now Birch finished suiting up and taking a quick inventory. He set aside his Roomsweeper and put the AK in its place. He hadn't actually used a gun with his own hands since Academy, where he'd been in the top 3 marksmen in his class. Unfortunately handheld marksmen training had consisted of three hours total, mostly devoted to how not to shoot yourself in the foot. Hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.
As the spook finished up his plan he began thinking of how best to use his limited assets. The sniper tower was the biggest danger, but it was also an easy predictable target. The large outpost was an unknown however.

I think once we land I should scout out the outpost before we even cut through the gate. I can use the Kestrel however you deem best, but I suggest using it on the generator to draw attention from our entry point, and if it doesn't get blown out of the sky send it to help lockdown the largest concentration of guards. This uzi is a piece of poo poo, but the explosive ammo will make just about anyone piss themselves and dive for cover.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The Semtex was divided into 1kg slabs when you got to it, like oversized, grossly orange candy bars. You flatten them out a bit, leaving them in their cellophane wrappings as you reshape them: just shove it into the right place, punch it with a det cap, and you'd be good to go after that. I'll allow that to function as 'Taking Aim' with a TN of 3: since you spent time preparing the explosives, you get the standard Take Aim bonus when planting them.

The extra weight of the charges was heavy, but no worse than the time you lugged that crate of Renraku prototypes off a sinking tugboat in the Bering Strait. The Strikers seemed to be in proper working order, but flipping one on started its factory-default boot sequence---these things has been taken out of manufacturing crates and tossed on the helicopter, from the looks of it. And then Bell asked for half of your explosives, and Dess seemed to support that choice.

The AKs are in working order, if in need of more than a field cleaning, and the Berber garb promised a bit of stealth in the sand below. The Meta Links were a stark step down from your current gear, with second-rate software on top of third-rate electronics, but at least none of your personal stuff was really on the line. They pulled the maps over easily enough, but the entire thing felt sluggish as Dess laid out her plan on it. You collaborated at the sand flowed behind you, dunes and scrub and oases lost in the midnight-blue sky as you swept across the desert in an umarked helicopter with unmarked weapons in strange clothing---this wasn't really Desert Wars as it was described on the trideo, but this was the Big Time when you worked for Ares.

The whole time, the dwarf works ferverishly over the sniper rifle, cursing quietly to himself, and maybe 15 minutes into the flight you hear Polecat's voice again, "So, where y'all gonna want down, exactly? A kilometer do y'all?"

Keep planning and working stuff out, I'll give you a little longer for last-minute details. Let's say around 6 hours OOC (or maybe more, if you get into heated debate) and we'll hit the ground.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 4500 TV Rating 7

What the gently caress is it with the loving runties this week? Did I loving step on one the other day and not notice?

To Nina: "Well no poo poo I am gonna tape it up but I sorts figured you could loving help out with the loving AR poo poo all over it. We are stuck using half rear end loving gear as is and I would loving love to have something incase these fucks are rolling with armor. "

Turning to Bell: "You know how to use this stuff? This old poo poo is kinda loving fussy." He takes half of the charges and hands them to her. "Just make sure we are good and clear before we blow them, the loving choppers will shatter into a million loving fragments and go pretty far." He knocks his head with a metal hand. "I ain't got much to worry about from shrapnel but I suspect you don't have loving armor plates under your skin." He smiles, clearly trying to be friendly. It is not of the best smiles in the world but at least he takes the cigar out.

To everyone: "I wanna blow the loving choppers closest to the housing first. One, it would be loving nice to do a fighting withdrawal and blow the fuckers as we retreat past them. Second, the loving light show and smoke from them burning will give the loving reporters something to aim their loving cameras at, something that ain't is. Maybe it'll keep the dumb fucks outta the line of fire as well, assuming they aren't so dumb as to wade through a line of burning poo poo."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker

Nina sighs. "Right, I forgot, you don't speak English." She raises her voice, talking like a tourist even over the other sounds. "I. Don't know. What. The gently caress. You. Are. Talking. About." It took her about three seconds tapping on her deck to figure it out. "Oh, you meant it's covered in AROs. Words mean things." Nina stops to look over the gun. "Jesus, did you steal the gun from a blind man?" Nina mumbles something about communication, then gets to tapping.

What's the fastest way of getting them off? What sort of effort/skill would it take? The goal here is speed over perfection, given that they're on their way.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
It's a Change Icon test, Extended, Quick, Hard. It'd be Average if you spoke the language---Tricky Russian ARO code.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Resources: 9030 Rating: 8

Darius listens to Dess's plan silently then asks: "It's a good plan, but what about the second sniper on the roof tower? If we leave him operational he could make things messy once the party starts. If there's just the one guy in the tower I could try to take him silently before or after we breach the compound. Karl could probably do it as well but he might have more utility on the ground. If there are two guys up there I might be able to take both, but maybe not. Rifle isn't exactly my specialty. If it's the latter then it might be better to just hit it with a striker once things pop off."

Darius grabs an ak, 2 mags, and the rest of the gear provided as well as 4-5 thermal smokes if no one objects.

OOC: If I totally misunderstood the plan and you'd already accounted for him then feel free to make fun. I have an IC persecution complex to fuel.

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

You set down in the cool evening sand just over a kilometer west of the compound, behind a particularly large dune. Before you depart, the dwarven man delivers his newly-refined SVD to Mr. White, with the attachments he requested in a few magazines of APDS ammunition to boot. This was the real deal, and it was time to make good on the employment opportunity you've been given. Polecat rings over the comms, "I'll be here, y'all need a lift out. Just get back within the hour, ya heard?"

And then you're in the sand, in Berber clothing with older AK-97s and enough explosives to do a good bit of damage to any city-sized electric plant, maybe a fifteen-minute hike west of the media staging compound, and your clocks all ready 2330---whoever Polecat was, he knew how to make time in the deserts of Algeria, but you were still under a bit of a time crunch. Best to get moving.

As the facility came into view, you saw upwards of 70 helicopters, covered in corporate branding and illuminated with burning halogen, the guard towers imposing silhouettes in the halo of beaming light. A quick thermal scan reported two guards in each tower, and it looked like four more were making the perimeter, and four others were in the guard wing of the plasteel building. Black coffee filled cups, almost iridescent in the thermals as the soldiers sipped it to stay awake the last half hour until the shift change. They hadn't seen you yet, and you still had plenty of time to arrange your attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

[Let me take a look in astral space to make sure they have nothing going on before I start casting anything,] Bell glances at Nina, trying hard not to shake the cold clinging sand from her desert garb all over.

[We got time, right?]

pre:
1x Berber Desert Garb
1x Armor vest  Rating 9
Electronics
  Subvocal Microphone
1x Meta link Comlink
1x Goggles
  /w Image Link
  /w vision enchancement
  /w vision magnification
  /w Flare Compensation
Weapons
  *AK 97                2 clips |  
        Dam 10P         Acc 5(6)        AP -2           Mode SA/BF/FA   RC 0            Ammo 38c

Ammo                                    
  *AR Ammo 76
1x day of MREs' and Water
3x Grenades, Thermal
5x Explosives
5X detonators timers

Assensing: 3+3: 6d6t5: 5
...what a roll

AmyL fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 3, 2014

• Locked thread