Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
For some reason during the Firefly segment there are just two goons hanging out next to a gargoyle on the bridge, and they count that as a Predator section. If you silently take both of them down you get a trophy :v: Pretty easy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I want to punch whoever decided to make you unlock all the useless armour upgrades before getting to the real goodies right in the nuts.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Excels posted:

e: if they added Batmobile skins from like the Burton movies or the comics I would be so down for that though

Apparently, there's box art showcasing a Walmart-exclusive prototype Batmobile skin, so I think it's reasonable to expect more. Most of the best Batsuits have already been covered in the last three games so that could be new DLC territory.

I'm looking forward to the Cold, Cold Heart DLC even though I wish WB Montreal did something more original than just rehashing Heart of Ice. After that I doubt I'll play Origins much more. Asylum and City are just so much more fun to replay.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm hoping these Anarky achievements mean that Anarky is involved in the plot of Cold, Cold Heart.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I want to punch whoever decided to make you unlock all the useless armour upgrades before getting to the real goodies right in the nuts.
I have never seen more gang tags.

I also completely agree--Batman shouldn't be draped in 10,000 layers of armor to fight street crime.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
AC question, doing some of Catwoman's challenge rooms but it seems like she breaks a combo every-time she uses a gadget? Why is this? I don't have the same problem with batman.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, having been playing it some more, I have to agree, something seems a little off with the combat. Maybe a bit of the camera and sometimes countering seems a little bugged. Like, I'll counter, but I'll do this weird little motion, I don't get hit, I don't counter hit, and my combo dies.

I also had some trouble with the challenges, I spent a while on the "Win a high threat combat situation with an A rank" and "Use a sonic batarang to distract an enemy and take them down." The window for the sonic batarang one is really tiny. And the combat one, after getting into a bunch of fights and either getting an A rank on a medium threat combat scenario or a B rank on a high threat one, I apparently finished the challenge when I used a vent takedown on a single officer in the GCPD building. I have no idea.

Oh, and sometimes when I'm gliding, Batman's body starts moving up and down. Like a hand fan or something. This game has a weird mix of bugs.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

For me, the difference in the combat is the fact that there are moves that had i-frames in the previous games that don't in this one.

edit: in addition to the wonky counters etc.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

catlord posted:

Ok, having been playing it some more, I have to agree, something seems a little off with the combat. Maybe a bit of the camera and sometimes countering seems a little bugged. Like, I'll counter, but I'll do this weird little motion, I don't get hit, I don't counter hit, and my combo dies.

I just played through origins again to 100% it and got this bug a fair few times.

I encountered even more bugs in this play through then when I played it at release. I got no major bugs like at release, just a TON of minor bugs which I think have been introduced in patches. Either that or I was really lucky on my initial runs. There's a lot of good stuff in origins, I just wished they hadn't skipped testing before release.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is anyone who's playing with "weird" combat using a controller or kbm? I used a wireless 360 controller on PC and felt no differences from City, really. And I'm usually pretty spergy about that kind of thing.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Man, I don't like enemies having freeflow in Orogins, breaks up the flow of combat, and I think grappling is bugged or there aren't enough hitspots? Moving around the city can be a pin in the rear end.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pirate Jet posted:

Is anyone who's playing with "weird" combat using a controller or kbm? I used a wireless 360 controller on PC and felt no differences from City, really. And I'm usually pretty spergy about that kind of thing.

I used a wireless 360 pad and I had the same wonkiness of counters sometimes not registering or failing to execute at all.

It's a great game but I have zero interest in 100%ing. Especially since I didn't realize I'd need to prepare my way through the challenge tracks as the game progresses. My backlog is big enough anyway :v:

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

360 controller on PC for me. There's definitely a difference between City and Origins combat. I've been playing both recently. Origins seems a lot faster than City. Easy to notice if you play one after the other. On modes where you can see the warning indicators in combat you also see some enemies go to attack and then suddenly change their mind and stop. Problem is, if you automatically hit that counter button like most do, Batman does this weird air hug thing and your combo breaks. Doesn't happen all that often, but did happen a fair few times on my recent play throughs. I have never encountered this problem in (far too many hours of) city.

Best part of my latest new game + run: took out the room full of armed armored thugs in the GCPD. That was fun.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Did AO do really poorly or something? It's really surprising to see a game and its season pass go on sale before all the DLC included is even out for it. Bioshock Infinite is in way worse financial straits than AO and even it didn't put its season pass on sale when the base game was.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Did AO do really poorly or something? It's really surprising to see a game and its season pass go on sale before all the DLC included is even out for it. Bioshock Infinite is in way worse financial straits than AO and even it didn't put its season pass on sale when the base game was.

It was almost universally blasted for launch bugs that rendered the game unplayable for a lot of people. I got one particular bug that liked to wipe my save games several times.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

catlord posted:

I also had some trouble with the challenges, I spent a while on the "Win a high threat combat situation with an A rank" and "Use a sonic batarang to distract an enemy and take them down." The window for the sonic batarang one is really tiny. And the combat one, after getting into a bunch of fights and either getting an A rank on a medium threat combat scenario or a B rank on a high threat one, I apparently finished the challenge when I used a vent takedown on a single officer in the GCPD building. I have no idea.

Oh, and sometimes when I'm gliding, Batman's body starts moving up and down. Like a hand fan or something. This game has a weird mix of bugs.

My system is at the low end of the compatibility range for AO, and I also have these problems- they make it virtually impossible to do high-level play. Try playing on Easy, see if the problems in combat go away. I found easy was playable at about normal levels (although of course enemy damage was laughable), which suggests that it's a difficult-reliant change as well. My theory is that something in processing is interfering with the timing on things, which is exacerbating the window-tightening other players are reporting in the thread.

You can fix the glide-flipping by briefly releasing then re-pressing the glide button.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 30, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I played through the game over a weekend, did all the side missions and then never touched it again. Good thing too, since big chunks of the map started refusing to load immediately after I was about done with everything.

Also, unlocking Enigma's secret base is one of the worst rewards in any game ever made. Two hundred data packs, and once you get them all?

The door unlocks in his HQ, revealing... THAT HE WAS THE RIDDLER DUN DUN DUNNN

and then your reward is A loving RIDDLER TROPHY.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skoll posted:

It was almost universally blasted for launch bugs that rendered the game unplayable for a lot of people. I got one particular bug that liked to wipe my save games several times.

There is probably also an element of snatching up people with a Batman itch after seeing the Arkham Knight announcement.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Excels posted:

Also, unlocking Enigma's secret base is one of the worst rewards in any game ever made. Two hundred data packs, and once you get them all?

The door unlocks in his HQ, revealing... THAT HE WAS THE RIDDLER DUN DUN DUNNN

and then your reward is A loving RIDDLER TROPHY.

Yeah, I was hoping I'd get to punch him in the face or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the rationale behind the riddler trophy is that it gives a metric ton of xp to pick up. I said there was a rationale, not that there was a good one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, but chances are that by that point you will have all of the EXP that you need. You'll be near the end of (if not finished with) story mode and you'll have picked up all of the datapackets.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
As far as Arkham Origins Riddler goes, A punch in the face and a trip to the cops would have been far better - then to have a follow up mentioning how Nigma managed to get off the charges scot-free, with Bruce mentioning that "He might prove to be a problem later, best not to underestimate him."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

For me, the difference in the combat is the fact that there are moves that had i-frames in the previous games that don't in this one.

edit: in addition to the wonky counters etc.
The counters aren't that "wonky" if you play normal challenge mode, if you bumped the difficulty up in story mode or use a certain modifier in combat maps then they feel wonky or it seems like thugs can freeflow punch you.

They probably tweaked a few moves and tightened up the period where they have i-frames, mostly the final hit of the ultra stun. I haven't really noticed anything else after putting almost 70 hours into it, story and challenge modes combined. The only thing they really nerfed was the aerial redirect, which I don't kind of agree with but I can see their rationale, since in AC if you redirected it seemed to give you a small period of iframes if you accidentally used it against a non-shield enemy (which is where it doesn't have any iframes, and as long as they didn't already start swinging when you started the attack), so instead they "soft punish" you for using it against non-shielded enemies since it now lasts as long as a ground pound when you land rather than simply using it as an easy out for making a technical mistake in combat.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished the bank mission, and tried to do the "do these four takedowns" challenge. I have never, ever done any kind of ledge takedown, so imagine my surprise when I don't get the challenge because I accidentally did a reverse ledge takedown instead of a hanging ledge takedown. After I spent so much time trying to set up the loving vent takedown, too!

And Mad Hatter's mission suuuuucked.

Also I wish I could use all those neat costumes I have, at least City had the code to let you use them any time (I think I only used the main costume a handful of times in City).

And finally, I was a little surprised to find that I apparently had Deathstroke? I have no idea why, I sure as Hell didn't preorder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

Just finished the bank mission, and tried to do the "do these four takedowns" challenge. I have never, ever done any kind of ledge takedown, so imagine my surprise when I don't get the challenge because I accidentally did a reverse ledge takedown instead of a hanging ledge takedown. After I spent so much time trying to set up the loving vent takedown, too!

And Mad Hatter's mission suuuuucked.

Also I wish I could use all those neat costumes I have, at least City had the code to let you use them any time (I think I only used the main costume a handful of times in City).

And finally, I was a little surprised to find that I apparently had Deathstroke? I have no idea why, I sure as Hell didn't preorder.

Deathstroke was "buy new" and not preorder IIRC.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I can't be the only person that made sure to beat up the room full of armed police in the visit to the GCPD instead of avoiding them with the remote claw. Should have been an achieve like Party Pooper.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

a cock shaped fruit posted:

As far as Arkham Origins Riddler goes, A punch in the face and a trip to the cops would have been far better - then to have a follow up mentioning how Nigma managed to get off the charges scot-free, with Bruce mentioning that "He might prove to be a problem later, best not to underestimate him."

Yeah. This was a missed opportunity. My favorite treatment was in Arkham Asylum. You never see The Riddler, but he taunts you constantly throughout the entire game. Then once you've collected all the trophies you're treated to overhearing his HQ get raided by Gotham PD through the hacked comm channel in your cowl. You deal with Riddler like he's just a non-threatening afterthought. It's one of those great BatGod moments that Asylum and City are full of.

With Origins, my biggest complaints are with the bugs (which seem to be mostly patched by now), the inexplicably tampered upgrade system, an over-emphasis on combat in the open world and in the side missions, and the rigid, linear achievement system. But it was full of touches I absolutely loved - Anarky's radio station with his readings of Luigi Galleani, a couple great Joker monologues, and some great goon dialog. I'm hoping the story DLC will sate me until Arkham Knight comes out. I'm trying to avoid media for it as much as possible so the anticipation isn't overwhelming.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

catlord posted:

Unfortunately, that means you won't complete the Worst Nightmare stuff until New Game Plus. :smith:

Unless you manage to do that rank during the Deadshot fight.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I can't be the only person that made sure to beat up the room full of armed police in the visit to the GCPD instead of avoiding them with the remote claw. Should have been an achieve like Party Pooper.

Oh I most definitely did. Except in New Game Plus where they all get body armor.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I keep activating the shock gloves by mistake since the window for the two button press is kinda large, so I hit someone and counter someone right away and bam, shock on

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

I keep activating the shock gloves by mistake since the window for the two button press is kinda large, so I hit someone and counter someone right away and bam, shock on

Same, I can't keep the gloves off, yet I also can't get the system to recognize double counters or knife dodges.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Same, I can't keep the gloves off, yet I also can't get the system to recognize double counters or knife dodges.

For knife dodges, I was tapping both the direction and the counter button, when I just kept the direction key pressed it became second nature almost

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

catlord posted:

I'm pretty sure you can switch your costume at any point in the game if you go to the batcave. You don't even need to beat the game like you had to in City. Granted, I've never used it since most of the alternate costumes sorta suck, so I don't know of it resets to the default costume after you leave the batcave or something.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mogomra posted:

I'm pretty sure you can switch your costume at any point in the game if you go to the batcave. You don't even need to beat the game like you had to in City. Granted, I've never used it since most of the alternate costumes sorta suck, so I don't know of it resets to the default costume after you leave the batcave or something.

You can't switch costumes unless you're in the post game or NG+, sadly.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I just finished Arkham City's NG+, and it was a very fun ride but I kind of feel that I would have found the plot more enjoyable if Ra's Al Ghul hadn't shown up personally, he just feels wasted and it takes away from the Strange and joker plotlines to throw him in there too. They should have left him as a background factor, manipulating events through Strange and creating a pretty cool sequel hook but instead he just ends up ignominiously impaled on his own sword. Oh well, I hear Arkham Origins has a pretty good plot at least, I guess I'll see!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Unfortunately, that means you won't complete the Worst Nightmare stuff until New Game Plus. :smith:

Fuuuuck. It really is a terrible system.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

khwarezm posted:

So I just finished Arkham City's NG+, and it was a very fun ride but I kind of feel that I would have found the plot more enjoyable if Ra's Al Ghul hadn't shown up personally, he just feels wasted and it takes away from the Strange and joker plotlines to throw him in there too. They should have left him as a background factor, manipulating events through Strange and creating a pretty cool sequel hook but instead he just ends up ignominiously impaled on his own sword. Oh well, I hear Arkham Origins has a pretty good plot at least, I guess I'll see!

The twist would have been better if you hadn't so utterly owned the mastermind halfway through the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It helps to realize that the "mastermind" is crazy and obsessive, much like his pawn, plus he has a side order of addiction.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Crappy Jack posted:

You can't switch costumes unless you're in the post game or NG+, sadly.

Well poo poo. Why is it even there until then? :smithfrog:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

khwarezm posted:

So I just finished Arkham City's NG+, and it was a very fun ride but I kind of feel that I would have found the plot more enjoyable if Ra's Al Ghul hadn't shown up personally, he just feels wasted and it takes away from the Strange and joker plotlines to throw him in there too. They should have left him as a background factor, manipulating events through Strange and creating a pretty cool sequel hook but instead he just ends up ignominiously impaled on his own sword.

It's a wicked loving boss fight, though. Way more memorable than the final boss fight, which I had totally forgotten about after playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mogomra posted:

Well poo poo. Why is it even there until then? :smithfrog:

You can use the other skins in the challenges, which are accessible from both the main menu and the Bat Cave.

• Locked thread