Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xemloth posted:

I'm sure I saw somewhere that the second mistborn trilogy was going to start with a misting SWAT team against a mistborn serial killer

I need that in my life.

Holy poo poo, that sounds amazing.

Jorenko posted:

The Wax books are not part of the original Mistborn plan, which is:
1. medieval fantasy trilogy
2. modern fantasy trilogy
3. space fantasy trilogy

The Wax and Wayne books are 1.5: westerns!

Yeah, it was planned to be a one-off, but Sanderson being Sanderson it kinda grew a little bit, because he needs more stuff to write on airplanes, I guess. It's a great setting, though, so I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Xemloth posted:

I'm sure I saw somewhere that the second mistborn trilogy was going to start with a misting SWAT team against a mistborn serial killer

I need that in my life.

This sounds so potentially awesome, but I am pretty skeptical of Sanderson's ability to actually write a serial killer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also it's apparently 80s level tech, computerwise, and the main character is a nicrosil misting.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jesus aaaaaagh I just finished WoR and I'm majorly fangirling out over Seth getting motherfucking NIGHTBLOOD at the end?! Holy poo poo! Sanderson already said that Nightblood is to Shardblades what a Shardblade is to a practice sword. Holy poo poo that's a hell of a powerup.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

-Fish- posted:

Jesus aaaaaagh I just finished WoR and I'm majorly fangirling out over Seth getting motherfucking NIGHTBLOOD at the end?! Holy poo poo! Sanderson already said that Nightblood is to Shardblades what a Shardblade is to a practice sword. Holy poo poo that's a hell of a powerup.

Except Szeth didn't have a Shardblade before.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

-Fish- posted:

Honestly, I loved the book, but that one scene was the point that I literally had to put my reader down and have an ecstatic nerdy moment. So pumped for that.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

-Fish- posted:

I really can't remember much from Warbreaker (specifically about Nightblood). What do we have to indicate (in terms of abilities) that it is so much better than a shardblade? I guess its major disadvantage (constant use of Breath) is essentially eliminated on Roshar because stormlight can be used as investiture, which would up it's relative "power". I'm also interested to see how far shardblade shapeshifting abilities can go. If a shardblade can be normal sized, or small, and they are always lightweight to the wielder... is there any reason Kaladin couldn't, say, use his shardblade as a sort of spear harpoon gun (i.e. making it rapidly extend 100 feet into an enemy, contracting, then repeat), or a comically ridiculously 10 story high sword

Would be cool if their only real limitation was imagination, since then the shapeshifting ability of the shardblade would make it a green lantern power ring

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Shakugan posted:

I really can't remember much from Warbreaker (specifically about Nightblood). What do we have to indicate (in terms of abilities) that it is so much better than a shardblade? I guess its major disadvantage (constant use of Breath) is essentially eliminated on Roshar because stormlight can be used as investiture, which would up it's relative "power". I'm also interested to see how far shardblade shapeshifting abilities can go. If a shardblade can be normal sized, or small, and they are always lightweight to the wielder... is there any reason Kaladin couldn't, say, use his shardblade as a sort of spear harpoon gun (i.e. making it rapidly extend 100 feet into an enemy, contracting, then repeat), or a comically ridiculously 10 story high sword

Would be cool if their only real limitation was imagination, since then the shapeshifting ability of the shardblade would make it a green lantern power ring

Basically Sanderson said so, but from how they're used it can be inferred that Nightblood is more powerful. Swing a shardblade at a wall and you have a cut in the wall. Swing Nightblood at a wall and the wall is loving gone.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Shakugan posted:

I really can't remember much from Warbreaker (specifically about Nightblood). What do we have to indicate (in terms of abilities) that it is so much better than a shardblade? I guess its major disadvantage (constant use of Breath) is essentially eliminated on Roshar because stormlight can be used as investiture, which would up it's relative "power".

Warbreaker: Let's put it this way. A scratch from a shardblade will render your limb useless.

A scratch from Nightblood will transmute your entire body into a puff of smoke, and then devour your soul. Furthermore, if your opponent is "evil" (according to Nightblood's opinion) then said opponent is somehow mentally affected in some way, presumably, causing him to leave himself open (or if Nightblood is not in its master's hand, will cause said "evil" person to pick up Nightblade, kill everyone else that is "evil", and them kill himself, all without even being DRAWN FROM THE SCABBARD). I believe Nightblood also grants its wielder superhuman strength and reflexes much as shardplate does, and ALSO grants actual skill in using it, no training required.

All this, for the low low cost of the investiture equivalent of about one breath per second.

As said, a shardblade might as well be a training sword compared to Nightblood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Warbreaker: Let's put it this way. A scratch from a shardblade will render your limb useless.

A scratch from Nightblood will transmute your entire body into a puff of smoke, and then devour your soul. Furthermore, if your opponent is "evil" (according to Nightblood's opinion) then said opponent is somehow mentally affected in some way, presumably, causing him to leave himself open (or if Nightblood is not in its master's hand, will cause said "evil" person to pick up Nightblade, kill everyone else that is "evil", and them kill himself, all without even being DRAWN FROM THE SCABBARD). I believe Nightblood also grants its wielder superhuman strength and reflexes much as shardplate does, and ALSO grants actual skill in using it, no training required.

All this, for the low low cost of the investiture equivalent of about one breath per second.

As said, a shardblade might as well be a training sword compared to Nightblood.

Pretty much, yeah. Nightblood's breath cost per second also accelerates as he's drawn, which implies that he might have some even more powerful poo poo he's charging up.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Huh. So 500 pages into Mistborn Vin (and Sanderson) show their teeth--she offs Shan in a reasonably tense fight with a pretty cool maneuver and then tells off Kelsier for being a dick. I wish she would have grown a spine and found some agency around two hundred pages earlier when she could have been sneaking off to Elend's balcony in full Mistborn get-up to do some interesting conspiring or something rather than gently caress around in the countryside with an army of non-characters but whatevs. There's only about a hundred pages to go and even though it's pretty late I might have to try and get it done tonight so good job Sanderson I guess.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

HaitianDivorce posted:

Huh. So 500 pages into Mistborn Vin (and Sanderson) show their teeth--she offs Shan in a reasonably tense fight with a pretty cool maneuver and then tells off Kelsier for being a dick. I wish she would have grown a spine and found some agency around two hundred pages earlier when she could have been sneaking off to Elend's balcony in full Mistborn get-up to do some interesting conspiring or something rather than gently caress around in the countryside with an army of non-characters but whatevs. There's only about a hundred pages to go and even though it's pretty late I might have to try and get it done tonight so good job Sanderson I guess.

Congratulations, you have now hit the moment everyone reading a Sanderson eventually hits: The Sanderson Avalanche. Toward the last 100 books, you'll always be feeling like you should get some rest—the universe will bent reality to make sure it is always late in the night when this happens—and you will tell yourself "Just one more page. It can't hurt. I've seen this book's pacing before, it's pretty slow, I can stop at any time I want—when did it become morning?"

Every Sanderson book. Every Sanderson book. And I love it :allears:

...Except when I wake up with like, 30 minutes of sleep and end up being like "I kind of hate myself for being up this long. I mean I would and will do it again when he writes something else but, still. I hate myself."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No joke, The Sanderson Avalanche is the main reason I read these books. I kinda casually read the first 75% of the book, then I save it for a Saturday or Sunday when I can just sit with a beer and read for a few hours in a row.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

OmniBeer posted:

Honestly, I loved the book, but that one scene was the point that I literally had to put my reader down and have an ecstatic nerdy moment. So pumped for that.

I honestly had to as well. I just walked away for a few hours because I wasn't prepared for stuff to start merging like that.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Reading Mistborn while listening to my phone's new music streaming app has been quite an experience. More Than A Feeling just came on when Vin decided she was going to storm the Lord Ruler's palace single-handedly after deciding Kelsier didn't abandon her to die. I'm starting to get why you folks love these books so much.

Ahahaha and No More Mr. Nice Guy came on when Elend stands up to his father and joins the rebellion

E2: Oh and Love Her Madly for the final scene with Elend, that's kinda sweet. More palatable than the wrap-up of stuff that you already figured out/sequel hook that the rest of the epilogue was. It's pretty great that Sazed literally hulking out twenty pages earlier served a vital purpose in defeating the Lord Ruler, and hey I guess I can't complain too much that everyone always told Vin she was so smart when she finally did something with it.

Do the later books get better about, I dunno, target audience? Or do I have to sit through Sanderson telling us everything again?

HaitianDivorce fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 31, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

HaitianDivorce posted:

Reading Mistborn while listening to my phone's new music streaming app has been quite an experience. More Than A Feeling just came on when Vin decided she was going to storm the Lord Ruler's palace single-handedly after deciding Kelsier didn't abandon her to die. I'm starting to get why you folks love these books so much.

Ahahaha and No More Mr. Nice Guy came on when Elend stands up to his father and joins the rebellion

E2: Oh and Love Her Madly for the final scene with Elend, that's kinda sweet. More palatable than the wrap-up of stuff that you already figured out/sequel hook that the rest of the epilogue was. It's pretty great that Sazed literally hulking out twenty pages earlier served a vital purpose in defeating the Lord Ruler, and hey I guess I can't complain too much that everyone always told Vin she was so smart when she finally did something with it.

Do the later books get better about, I dunno, target audience? Or do I have to sit through Sanderson telling us everything again?

There's going to be some level of tedium, particularly in the navel-gazing. He does get better about it though.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Finished WoK on my tablet on Friday, bought a hard copy of WoR last night, holy shiiiit.

Just got to the bit where Jasnah starts actually explaining things and then DIES. :frogsiren: WTF :frogsiren:

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Just finished Words of Radiance, but I haven't read Way of Kings yet. I feel like I got the main gist of Kaladin's story from WoR -- am I making a huge mistake by not going back and reading WoK?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Zypher posted:

Just finished Words of Radiance, but I haven't read Way of Kings yet. I feel like I got the main gist of Kaladin's story from WoR -- am I making a huge mistake by not going back and reading WoK?

This is a troll, right?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Not trolling. Obviously the best experience is to go back and read it, but I'm wondering if I can get by just on what's been implied / reiterated over the course of WoR.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
It's not that you can't, it's more that I really don't see why you would want to.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Zypher posted:

Not trolling. Obviously the best experience is to go back and read it, but I'm wondering if I can get by just on what's been implied / reiterated over the course of WoR.

I just.. don't understand why you would read the second book of an epic fantasy series (about the furthest from episodic you could possibly ever get) before the first. You made the "huge mistake" already, by not reading the first book first.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Picked it up at the airport, wasn't spoiled for choices, and couldn't put it down once I started reading. I never felt lost or that I needed the context of the previous book to understand anything, as everything in the world seems to get re-explained fairly well as far as I can tell.

I'm just curious if there are characters / plot threads in lands untouched by WoR that I'm completely missing, or if this book picks straight up from where the previous one ended.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It picks straight up. To anyone else I would recommend reading WoK but having read the second first I feel like it's spoiled enough to not be worth reading the entire huge book. You are probably missing certain pieces but you should be able to get by just fine.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Thanks! I thought that might be the case.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So who is Vasher again? Did we meet him in the WoK or WoR books at another point?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Vasher is the main character from Warbreaker, and quite possibly a worldhopper, quite possibly a Herald and the person who created the sword Nightblood, which Szeth gets given at the end of WoR

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Vasher is the main character from Warbreaker, and quite possibly a worldhopper, quite possibly a Herald and the person who created the sword Nightblood, which Szeth gets given at the end of WoR

Worldhopper, yes, that one's quite obvious. But where are you getting the idea that he's a Herald, especially considering he's a Returned?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Signing info: We haven't seen any heralds in other books

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
So guys should I finish reading WoR, p150 ish and then read Warbreaker or quickly read Warbreaker first?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Stereo posted:

So guys should I finish reading WoR, p150 ish and then read Warbreaker or quickly read Warbreaker first?

Keep in mind that you don't need to read Warbreaker first to understand anything. That said, reading Warbreaker first will make you giggle like a little kid later, so it might be recommended. It's a fairly quick read(by Sanderson standards) and also free on Sanderson's website, so if I were in your situation I'd quickly hop to Warbreaker, finish it, then go back to WoR.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Xemloth posted:

I need that in my life.

I vaguely remember hearing something like that. :swoon: This will the best poo poo.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
To that guy who read WoR without reading WoK, you may want to go and read most of the interludes as those are, for the most part, not reiterated in WoR. Though I would recommend you read it all.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Fezz posted:

To that guy who read WoR without reading WoK, you may want to go and read most of the interludes as those are, for the most part, not reiterated in WoR. Though I would recommend you read it all.
As would I. Still, a lot of WoK will seem redundant after reading WoR.

Why on earth would you read WoR first? I can't fathom that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Because it was in the airport? Quit giving the guy such a hard time.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

thespaceinvader posted:

Actually, Nightblood was created by Yesteel, a friend of Vasher, whom he later killed. In Warbreaker, he killed one more "friend" and was aiming to go after a fourth in the epilogue.

Since we can assume that Vasher has been absorbing stormlight to substitute for breaths, would that mean that he could also permanently increase his supply of breaths via stormlight? If it instead leaks out over a week or so, would he then be able to absorb a lot of stormlight all at once to reach the ninth heightening and then awaken a dead shardblade or an honorblade?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Gardenator posted:

Actually, Nightblood was created by Yesteel, a friend of Vasher, whom he later killed. In Warbreaker, he killed one more "friend" and was aiming to go after a fourth in the epilogue.

Since we can assume that Vasher has been absorbing stormlight to substitute for breaths, would that mean that he could also permanently increase his supply of breaths via stormlight? If it instead leaks out over a week or so, would he then be able to absorb a lot of stormlight all at once to reach the ninth heightening and then awaken a dead shardblade or an honorblade?

I genuinely have no idea where you're getting the idea that Vasher is alive, can absorb Stormlight, is in a position to absorb Stormlight, and can use it in place of breaths. Where is the information coming from that we can assume any of this is happening?

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

-Fish- posted:

I genuinely have no idea where you're getting the idea that Vasher is alive, can absorb Stormlight, is in a position to absorb Stormlight, and can use it in place of breaths. Where is the information coming from that we can assume any of this is happening?

Zahel (the guy who was training Kaladin to use a shardblade) is implied to be Vasher

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

BannedNewbie posted:

Zahel (the guy who was training Kaladin to use a shardblade) is Word of Brandon stated to be Vasher

fixed that for you due to signing spoilers.

Also in regards to the other questions So far there's no indication that Vasher can absorb stormlight, there's a running (semi-logical assumption) that as far as Nightblood is concerned it feeds off *investiture* (which Breath and Stormlight are both forms of) and thus Szeth could feed it with stormlight.

Personally, given Lopen's POV at the end, I'm of the opinion that stormlight absorption can be learned. It explains how so many worldhoppers are on Roshar, potentially cut off from their sources of power (Elantrians especially, whose power decreases the further they are from Sel, Elantris specifically) and yet have hopes of getting home. I don't know if that means Vasher can awaken with Stormlight...but the potential *does* exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

treeboy posted:

Also in regards to the other questions So far there's no indication that Vasher can absorb stormlight.
Not so. Word of Sanderson also states that the whole reason Vasher is on Roshar to begin with is because something he needs is much easier to get, there. There is a finite quantity of breath, it's hard to obtain, and actually taking someone's breath is taking part of their soul and sort of morally grey at best. And he needs that stuff to live. It's not hard to see why Vasher would want to get away from that, and he can by using Stormlight to stay alive instead of using up breaths. Presumably the Stormlight doesn't as 'breaths' for him to use with Awakening or whatever, but it seems any form of Investiture is enough to keep one of the Returned alive.