Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ddraig posted:

You're not hearing things. This was a development version of it, though, and he said the reason he put that in was because he wanted to see if various sounds were actually firing off properly and it was rather distinctive. It's not in the final version, so don't worry :v:

As for the changes, it's basically built around ARS which is a minor mod along the lines of AMK for Call of Pripyat. Basically, any changes that ARS makes to the gameplay will be true as he's mostly just made new anomalies.

Actually, speaking of ARS, do you have a changelog on hand so that I can see what it does? Right now I have an English version of it sitting in my computer waiting to be installed but I want to know what I'm getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just a few quality of life improvements, really. And a few minor changes so that things make a bit more sense.

The main things are:

* Refillable thermos flasks. You can take a thermos flask to the barmen, and they will fill it with tea, coffee or water. Each thermos has multiple uses.
* Adds a few "primary needs", so you can get sleepy/collapse, and taking too much caffeine will make you hyper and you can actually have a fatal dose.
* You can now be stolen from in various sleeping spots. If stalkers are around, they will steal from you, unless you put stuff in your safe box, or sleep in a few safe areas (or ask someone to watch out for you while you're sleeping)
* Safe boxes are now not automatic. You have to rent them. The one in the Skadovsk has to be rented, the one in Yanov is unchanged.
* Adds a few new achievements. Getting a certain number of headshots, healing a certain amount of people etc will give you new achievements and new rewards.
* The map is not automatic. New areas are added to your PDA as you explore. Finding all the areas in a given level will give you an achievement that allows you to travel between levels on your own without a guide.
* A few quests have been changed. You now have to get some food for Noah before he'll take you to the Plateau etc.
* A new mutant looting system. The hunters in Zaton and Jupiter will give you pointers on how to take trophies from mutants. You'll need a hunting knife (which you can buy from them, there are various levels that make getting trophies easier). There's achievements associated with this, also.
* A new "notebook" item that allows you to document things in the Zone (think of the PDA from SoC)
* Dynamic news along the lines of AMK

Those are the main things I can think off of the top of my head. It also has the standard weapon tuning that most mods have etc.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
The concept of Sky Anomaly sounds awesome. I don't have any experience of CoP so I can't comment on those ARS changes. Is the mod in english?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ars-mod/

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

And how about Sky Anomaly? Does it introduce any new dialogue? Does it include the English version of ARS? Or should I copy files from ARS to experience Sky Anomaly in English?

(That said, it will literally be a month or two before I'll be playing any Call of Pripyat anyway... but it's nice to know for when I do.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Am I doing something wrong or do you have to ctrl+a that ModDB page to be able to read anything on it? It's like a light gray font on a white background.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

your evil twin posted:

And how about Sky Anomaly? Does it introduce any new dialogue? Does it include the English version of ARS? Or should I copy files from ARS to experience Sky Anomaly in English?

(That said, it will literally be a month or two before I'll be playing any Call of Pripyat anyway... but it's nice to know for when I do.)

The ARS english translation should work fine. I think the only thing it adds, apart from the ARS stuff, is new anomalies.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
So that DLL file in the OP for CoP is set to private now, is there some other place to get it?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Am I doing something wrong or do you have to ctrl+a that ModDB page to be able to read anything on it? It's like a light gray font on a white background.

It may just be me, but it seems like moddb is pretty hosed up right now.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Revdomezehis posted:

So that DLL file in the OP for CoP is set to private now, is there some other place to get it?

This is exactly what I was about to post.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
You know, as stable as OGSE is, it's been crashing like hell for me. No bugtrap either it just pauses, does a CTD, and then i need to task manager it to kill the game exe file.

Also, why is my screen sepia'd out and I can hear a rather loud heart beat?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Monolith. posted:

You know, as stable as OGSE is, it's been crashing like hell for me. No bugtrap either it just pauses, does a CTD, and then i need to task manager it to kill the game exe file.

Also, why is my screen sepia'd out and I can hear a rather loud heart beat?

You've been zombified. Probably wandered into a psi-field without realizing it. Time to get to Yantar so the scientists can cure it, unless you like having every faction want to shoot you on sight. On the bright side, zombie stalkers are your bros now. You can even talk to them.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
So I tried out Shaders Max and it works fine except for like... weird shadow stretching at the edge of the screen, like the shadows just off screen are stretching into the frame and I can't figure out what is causing it. I'll probably just chuck it, but I was hoping someone has an idea.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Open the console.

Type in:

"r2_sun_near 20" and "r2_sun_near_border 1"

Enjoy!

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks, that did it. I decided to play a vanilla go through recently mainly because despite owning it since 2007 I never actually beat it. I was hyped for it since like I want to say '03, so uh yeah.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Revdomezehis posted:

Found it by googling a bit:

Link to download
Link found here

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Call of Pripyat has a few ambitious mods. The one I'd recommend people try right now is the "Sky Anomaly" mod that I just linked.

The guy who made it is a bit of a genius. He decided, rightly so, that it was loving weird that the premise of Call of Pripyat is that there are anomalies in the sky, capable of downing a helicopter, but you never actually see anything like that.

So you now get truly weird poo poo in the Zone. All done very cleverly with textures, particle effects, and modifying existing anomalies to do some truly bizarre poo poo.

You can tell that the guy was heavily inspired by Roadside Picnic as some of the new anomalies look like they were ripped straight from there. You can be walking along suddenly and you'll hear a huge cacophony of sound, weird poo poo slivering around that doesn't seem to do anything... anomalies that appear to do nothing (but they may - who knows?) etc.

One of the REALLY creepy things, beyond the "Swan Lake" anomaly in that video, is in the kindergarten area in Pripyat. Let's just say it's rather ingenious and I'm shocked nobody thought of it before.

That sounds fantastic and what ive been wanting out of the stalker series since forever, the existing anomalies are cool but like roadside picnic showed the potential for these amazing impossible things is just so much more.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So after removing one file, I got Autumn Aurora 2 to work pretty well. If any of you have played it, is there a way to bring back at least your ammo counter? I'm really digging the minimalistic hud and how nice the game looks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So it turns out Sky Anomaly also adds in a bunch of dynamic objects to the world. Stuff like grave markers, extra bushes/trees, and a loving great hulking blown up helicopter right out near the sawmill. This also happens to be an anomaly field.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I'm going to get a move on with the STALKER franchise so I can experience Call of Pripyat and that Sky Anomaly mod since loads of... well, anomalous behaviour is definitely up my street.

My new favourite thing in OGSE is the anomaly activation feature. And yeah, I know lots of previous mods have had that too, but I never played them, so... yeah. I put together a little video of some hijinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy-H05cQqnI

I next tried it with a Meat Chunk, which should have created a Whirligig... but it appears that creating a Whirigig crashes the game. (The second anomaly in the video was a Vortex, they are pretty similar.)

Also I've been editing the scripts for anomaly avoidance. They are clearly based on the "Stalkers are not blind (anomaly evasion)" mod, except that in that old mod there was a percentage chance that a STALKER would screw up and blunder into an anomaly, and that chance was increased if they were in combat. In OGSE the chance was turned down to 0%, which seemed a bit silly given that OGSE makes anomalies harder to see and I accidentally blundered into a number of them.

I also found a cool mod for vanilla STALKER that allows you to do anomaly activation and it makes it so that you actually hold the correct model of the actual artifact rather than a blue-grey sphere every time. I wish I knew how to integrate that into OGSE.

Does anyone know of any good packs of weapon reskins for vanilla STALKER? It surprises me that there are packs for rexturing the environment and structures such as the Absolute packs or the photorealistic zone packs, but I've not seen anything along similar lines for the guns. I have seen individual reskins of individual guns, though, does everyone just download a crapload of individual reskins for every gun?

I know STALKER Complete includes weapon reskins, as does OSGE, I guess I could try and extract the relevant textures from either of those.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That real artifact activation has a problem with one of the models. I believe it's the fireball model.. it will crash the game consistently. Cool concept, but nobody's ever really fixed it.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

EDIT: IGNORE THIS, SEE MY NEXT POST

Fortunately, someone found a solution and posted it in a comment on one of the sites where the file was hosted:

quote:

Super mod but only one problem.
You need to replace "wpn_artefact_fireball_hud.ogf" in folder 'gamedata/meshes/weapons/artefact' by the original file of the game.

If not : crash when you enter the undergrounds in Agroprom.

Expression : fatal error
Function : CResourceManager::_GetBlender
File : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\ResourceManager.cpp
Line : 49
Description :
Arguments : Shader 'effects\shadow_world' not found in library.

So yeah, guess I've got to extract all my STALKER files to get at that original file. (Unless you happen to already have those files extracted and can get at it easily?)

EXIT: IGNORE THIS, SEE MY NEXT POST

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 30, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
So I see SGM 2.2 has the Clear Sky grenadiers. drat. Anyone played it on lower difficulty than Master and could say whether the pinpoint accuracy is caused by that? I'd rather turn it completely off as the last option.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
I remember just turning it off. It seemed even worse than vanilla Clear Sky.

I understand they want to prevent players from hunkering down in one spot but jesus christ this is not the way to do it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

your evil twin posted:

So yeah, guess I've got to extract all my STALKER files to get at that original file. (Unless you happen to already have those files extracted and can get at it easily?)

Can't you get to that stuff in your Gamedata folder? Unless this is different, mods should just have their own Gamedata folder that you use instead of the original, so you should just have to get the file out of the vanilla Gamdata and copy it over.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Turns out that there's no such thing as an original wpn_artefact_fireball_hud.ogf in the game files anyway, all the artifact weapon models in the mod are custom-made models based on the artifact designs. The modder messed something up with the custom hand-held fireball model, and that causes the game to crash simply if there is a fireball in the level, I guess cause the game already tries to preload everything to do with the fireball, including the animation for holding it.

I solved the problem! I simply made copy of the Moonlight artifact weapon model (wpn_artefact_electra_moonlight_hud.ogf) and renamed it to wpn_artefact_fireball_hud.ogf.

I choose the moonlight artifact weapon model because is a solid white sphere. (The real model you find lying on the ground has pretty special effects, but the hand-held version is just solid white.) I figured that was the closest match to the orange fireball sphere.

When the artifact is actually activated and dropped on the ground you see the correct orange sphere. No crashes.

Since the fireball is just one of many artifacts in the game, there's a good chance most players won't ever even activate that particular artifact and notice that it has the wrong model. Still worth it for all the other artifact weapon models.

So yeah, I think I'll upload the file to stalkerfiles!

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 30, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Antignition posted:

I remember just turning it off. It seemed even worse than vanilla Clear Sky.

I understand they want to prevent players from hunkering down in one spot but jesus christ this is not the way to do it.

This has nothing to do with anything stalker, but I like your avatar.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My personal project for Misery is coming along well. Right now I'm just transferring the unique anomalies from Sky Anomaly to it. Thanks to TGKP on the GSC forums, I've figured out how to enable/disable anomalies randomly, so now the Zone will no longer be static. Truly weird poo poo will happen. There's a random chance you might see a second moon in the sky one day, and it be gone the next. Patches of little to no gravity, ghostly vehicles haunted by god knows what. Random screams and shaking in certain buildings that come from nowhere. In other words, putting the Alienation back into the Zone of Alienation.

Kind of pisses me off how Trojanauch seems to hate virtually everything about the stalker setting. I get the feeling that if he could entirely get rid of the anomalies/artifacts without it pissing people off, he would.

http://imgur.com/a/Sk0L6

Sadly my idea for you making GBS threads yourself to death in first person was too much :effort: to implement well, so I went for the next best thing :v:

You can even see the aftermath of taking it, where my compadre decides to loot me.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's looking really good. Can't wait to play your version of Misery or whatever you choose to call it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By compadre do you mean a dedicated companion? One of the things I liked most about misery was being able to tag along with a group of Stalkers across the zone. It'd be great to have a friend I could hire or persuade to come with me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Acquire Currency! posted:

By compadre do you mean a dedicated companion? One of the things I liked most about misery was being able to tag along with a group of Stalkers across the zone. It'd be great to have a friend I could hire or persuade to come with me.

It's part of Second Way, one of the elements I've incorporated into Misery.

You're now not a single person being sent into the Zone. You have someone else who you report to, who will scout Jupiter while you scout Zaton. It's mostly just a flavour thing, as aside from a small mission in Pripyat, you rarely interact with him other than sending each other messages. Misery does have a companion feature, but it's disabled. I'll be testing it out to see how broken it is, though. If I can get it working I'll definitely enable it.

If you decide to walk the Black Road, he will be dead on arrival. I was thinking of adding in several elements where your cover could get "blown" or severely compromised, and one of them involves the Black Road, where if he dies and you don't find his body, after a certain amount of time someone will find his body, loot it, and it contains information about your mission, and depending on how freely you've been throwing your name around it might come back to bite you in the rear end.

e: There's also a small easter egg if you deliberately kill him at the start :v:

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 30, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Anyone knows how to trigger the quest "Blockade: wait for a nightfall" in SGM 2.2? I'm on the verge of installing 2.1 and being done with it, because I can kinda see why more areas ≠ better. I've been running around like a dummy trying to find that special artifact, too, but gently caress me if I'm supposed to check every single anomaly in Cordon.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Anyone knows how to trigger the quest "Blockade: wait for a nightfall" in SGM 2.2? I'm on the verge of installing 2.1 and being done with it, because I can kinda see why more areas ≠ better. I've been running around like a dummy trying to find that special artifact, too, but gently caress me if I'm supposed to check every single anomaly in Cordon.

You can't find the special artifact until you have the prototype detector. Also, no clue on the the other thing, its been a while. v:shobon:v

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Is there any way to make it so enemies don't constantly throw 100% accurate grenades from 200 meters away in misery? That poo poo makes it completely unplayable.

I fixed the AI shooting you with 100% accuracy at that range but idk how to do that with the grenades.

EDIT: I think I'll just wait for ddraig's mod at this point, since that's far from the only terrible design choice in misery.

Abysswalker fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 30, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I just made a video of the suicide pill in action.

My Major Degtyarev just isn't cut out for life in the Zone.

e: Here's a few I've already uploaded (the other one is taking forever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfplA6SKSNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVTQA7x13lc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU1xuQMfusY

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 30, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm a big fan of the Roadside Picnic style of "what the gently caress even is this?" style of anomalies, and wish there were more. Things that don't hurt you, don't give you anything, don't seem to even do anything. They're just there and inexplicable. Like a cargo container just floating 10 feet off the ground. Doesn't move, doesn't react to anything. Brave/stupid stalkers might make a camp fire underneath it to get out of the rain. Superstitious Stalkers might avoid it entirely. No artifacts to be seen. Just a floating cargo container.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's plenty of those.

Right now you might be wandering around and suddenly you can't move. Open your backpack and it turns out something with an incredible amount of weight has just appeared. Doesn't do anything, you're not even sure what it is, it's just there.

A few of Misery's misc items have had cloned versions which have a different description and do things, so that picture of a woman you picked up could be a freaky version of it that constantly feeds the sound of a crying woman into your head until you get rid of it.

You could be walking around randomly and a ghostly image appears infront of you and then vanishes immediately.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Sounds excellent.

I've only gotten into STALKER mod stuff in the past week and had no interest in Misery cause it just sounded like some ultra super hardcore mod for masochists. But if you're revamping it into something sensible and you're gonna have all that awesome anomaly stuff, I'll definately want to check out your mod.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right now I'm only really adding and expanding on stuff. I will be giving the player a better starting loadout, as even if the Misery logic of "They would screw you over with equipment because you're supposed to be a stalker" holds true, it would cost them nothing, wouldn't compromise a drat thing, and be much more sensible to give you, say, a bandit jacket with some basic body armor underneath. You know, something that's protective, plausible that a stalker might have, and actually worth a drat.

I'm also going to be making the controller death radius much smaller, less deadly, but more capable of actually disorientating you rather than outright killing you because you got within a mile of them.

I've also made a script that will dynamically change the eye range value of stalkers based on time of day and weather conditions. When it's foggy, you can't see more than 6ft infront of you. If you can't see beyond that, why does every other stalker in the Zone have the ability to ignore it?

Likewise, at night ztalkers will be able to see much shorter distances. The only stalkers that will ignore this are the Monolith, because I want to give them that weird, freaky hive-mind ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
ETA on this? I'm pretty interested and still want that ShoC mod you had a while back.