Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Surprised more cars didn't get caught in that.

The gently caress, Power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Holy poo poo, gently caress Will Power.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Lades and Gentlemen, the Verizon IndyCar Series

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Will Power's gotta get a penalty for that; or I lose all trust in indycar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when did rolling restarts become something drivers have no idea how to do

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Power deserves a penalty, mos. def.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

This is the first modern Indycar race I've bothered to watch but Will Power is already my least favorite person

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:psyduck: Oh Indycar, I've missed you so much.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Moxie Omen posted:

This is the first modern Indycar race I've bothered to watch but Will Power is already my least favorite person

Will Power can sometimes own. Other times he's an intolerable rear end in a top hat. Today he's the latter.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cannot Find Server posted:

Will Power can sometimes own. Other times he's a wanker

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There talking about how he's "bringing them slowly to the Green" but he's clearly slowing down on the front straight before the restart zone. They shouldn't have given them the Green if they weren't in the restart zone; but its definitely all Will's fault...

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Uh, Hawksworth sounds nothing like Mansell you loving idiot goober. Who are these morons?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Americans? :patriot:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'm kinda pissed that they are apparently not penalizing Power

Then again, if they did it'd give the win to RHR so whatever I guess

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Clownshoes restart aside, this was a really good race.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah right penalize the title sponsor car, doubtful.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gently caress Penske, gently caress Power. I don't think he will get a penalty because the restart rule is sort of gray on the situation. But that doesn't make it any less of an rear end in a top hat move.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
If he did go, IndyCar would probably penalize him for going before the restart zone, because IndyCar.

edit: fuckin :lol: Helio

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 30, 2014

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Scott Dixon was very supportive of Power. That surprised me.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Andretti looked really weak today.

outside of RHR, it was not a good start for them.

I think just a lack of cautions kind of messed the field up a bit. It needed bunched up quite a bit earlier, but alas there was just some good clean racing up until the stunt power pulled.

But I mean, it's what makes ICS so good. You can't just go "NASCAR" on everything and throw phantom penalties to ensure you have a classic finish. Sometimes you get duds. It comes with the territory.

I do think the field is quite strong. Smaller than recent years? Yeah. But it feels like everyone has a shot at winning a race any given weekend. I think the only two you could really kind of go "meh" to would be Saavadra and potentially Huertas

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think just a lack of cautions kind of messed the field up a bit. It needed bunched up quite a bit earlier, but alas there was just some good clean racing up until the stunt power pulled.

But I mean, it's what makes ICS so good. You can't just go "NASCAR" on everything and throw phantom penalties to ensure you have a classic finish. Sometimes you get duds. It comes with the territory.

I do think the field is quite strong. Smaller than recent years? Yeah. But it feels like everyone has a shot at winning a race any given weekend. I think the only two you could really kind of go "meh" to would be Saavadra and potentially Huertas

Even Saavedra did okay today with an 11th place finish.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

George Zimmer posted:

Even Saavedra did okay today with an 11th place finish.

Who knew that he's actually pretty fast as long as he doesn't have a brain fade? I feel like just about everyone in the field save for The rookies and him can plausibly win a race this season.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sato fell off pretty hard.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's another way of looking at it - the standards have got so high it's remarkable they went so long without a single incident.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Really, we were just a Kimball brain fade (and stalling the car) away from an all green race. Pretty impressive when you see that SiPag visor cam and I can seriously barely see poo poo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Can anybody re-post the image from the 1970's of Robin Miller holding the pit board? I have a t-shirt to make.

vv :hfive:

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 31, 2014

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Minto Took posted:

Can anybody re-post the image from the 1970's of Robin Miller holding the pit board? I have a t-shirt to make.

Ta-da.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hinch had something going on that I didn't catch, they mentioned it in the broadcast - boost limit? Rev limit?

I'm almost willing to give Power the benefit of the doubt - as long as he really wasn't slowing further, if they threw the green before he was technically allowed to go then that's as much on ICS as it is on him.

Oh well. We're racing again! :woop:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hinch had an electronics problem that was causing the engine to hit the limiter too early. Something like that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
22 cars is not that bad of a grid tbh. Ideally I'd want 27-28 but the racing is good so who cares.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

animeliker posted:

22 cars is not that bad of a grid tbh. Ideally I'd want 27-28 but the racing is good so who cares.

One of the things Mark Miles and Derrick Walker has to work on is to get more people involved.

How does one get more teams involved though, is the question.

I think perhaps the return of Cosworth, and some ability to connect drivers/teams with sponsorships would help quite a bit.

I do think you want quanity over quality at this point though. Better we have a field like this, then say a field full of people like Milka Duno, Marty Roth or Dr. Jack Miller.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

FuzzySkinner posted:

One of the things Mark Miles and Derrick Walker has to work on is to get more people involved.

How does one get more teams involved though, is the question.

I think perhaps the return of Cosworth, and some ability to connect drivers/teams with sponsorships would help quite a bit.

I do think you want quanity over quality at this point though. Better we have a field like this, then say a field full of people like Milka Duno, Marty Roth or Dr. Jack Miller.

I watched the NASCAR race live and St Pete on DVR today (my folks were visiting and my dad is old). The 16th driver in a 22-car IndyCar street race field is much more competitive than the 31st driver in a 43-car NASCAR race or whoever is trundling around at the back of the pack in F1.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

skaboomizzy posted:

I watched the NASCAR race live and St Pete on DVR today (my folks were visiting and my dad is old). The 16th driver in a 22-car IndyCar street race field is much more competitive than the 31st driver in a 43-car NASCAR race or whoever is trundling around at the back of the pack in F1.

It's also nostalgia haze for me; I was a CART fan when I was really young but in hindsight the back-markers in those times were pretty bad; like Arnd Meier and Shigeaki Hattori. It seemed like Meier was always in dead last.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The ideal scenario is that you get around 28 seats for the regular season, and 33 seats for the "Triple Crown" events.

Going more ideal, the "Backmarker" seats should be pretty much for GP2/GP3/Indy Lights champs/winners. Guys who show quite a bit of promise, but Ganassi/Andretti/Penske probably wouldn't take a swing on until they have some results under their belt.

You don't want those seats filled by people who you know...suck.

Hawksworth, and Munoz are great additions to the field. The former impressed me quite a bit today (prior to the accident with Marco), and the ladder was pretty fantastic last year.

The series is at a point where the ability to win seems to solely reside on good luck, whether the car is set up well, and if the driver is talented enough. In theory? That should allow a lot more of the cream to rise to the top if everything is done correctly.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not blaming Hawksworth for that happening.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

animeliker posted:

I'm not blaming Hawksworth for that happening.

Seriously, if he was getting told "green green green", he did what every race driver does and stood on it. The problem is that people in front of him weren't.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
In my eyes the restart issue was 100% caused by the flag stand. If you watch the video they're waving the green flag before the leader reached the acceleration zone. As a result I'm sure every spotter was saying "green green green" too early which made the accordion effect that much worse. It didn't help that Will Power was going slower than normal before the acceleration zone, but that restart looked more like an iRacing restart than an IndyCar restart.

But perhaps the best moment was when Helio called Power a wanker. Also,

Will Power posted:

"The thing to me was Helio was getting out of line. That's when I lifted off the throttle. Why are you getting out of line? Are you going to go like you did last year and jump-start completely and get the lead that way? I wasn't going to let that happen. I wasn't even in the zone, so it did not matter. He got out here, he's going to do his thing, jump the start, he was getting out of line, I was going to make it obvious by lifting a little. Then I just went.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

KingShibby posted:

In my eyes the restart issue was 100% caused by the flag stand.

I'm starting to lean in this direction too. First impression was that Power was being an idiot, but I didn't know about acceleration zones being a thing. I'm glad Indycar didn't punish Power for what was ultimately their own gently caress-up.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Couple of books on the 500 are coming out soon

http://www.amazon.com/Beast-Jade-Gurss/dp/1937747336/ref=zg_bs_16606_92 - Story of the 1994 race, focusing on the Penske team and their 1000hp engine

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1250017777/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=SKZFGP7L5KC6&coliid=IF1B701IOZ6KF - The ill-fated 1964 race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The new Z/28 will be the pace car this year. :patriot:

• Locked thread