Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Solution: keep a backup recording device in the form of a Yak Bak to avoid these problems. Even if the audio quality is crap, I'm sure people won't mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Heh, didn't idle thumbs record their early episodes on a yak bak?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ja2ke posted:

Episode 150 was recorded with all five of us on Monday night and then it got corrupted somehow and we are super mad/sad. There is a conf grenade with Tom Francis coming out. Bahhhh.

Ah man that must be so frustrating. :(

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I thought this was where a goon jumps in to say they can uncorrupt it with their nerd powers.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
hosed podcast audio can't be unfucked, especially if the file is just straight up lost. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost an episode, because it's cosmically dispiriting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now, keep in mind I have no knowledge of recording studios and stuff, but would it be possible to have a lovely backup recorder that's has crap audio quality, but at least records it at all as a precaution? Like, my Yak Bak comment was a joke, but is there something that's 100-200 dollars that would be sufficient in its stead for a low-quality recorder in case the good one is lost?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Now, keep in mind I have no knowledge of recording studios and stuff, but would it be possible to have a lovely backup recorder that's has crap audio quality, but at least records it at all as a precaution? Like, my Yak Bak comment was a joke, but is there something that's 100-200 dollars that would be sufficient in its stead for a low-quality recorder in case the good one is lost?

It would probably make sense to also run our Zoom recorder or something. I'll look into how annoying that would be to implement beyond it just sitting in the room (eg if we can plug it into our board properly, even if it's through the monitoring jack or something).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ja2ke posted:

It would probably make sense to also run our Zoom recorder or something. I'll look into how annoying that would be to implement beyond it just sitting in the room (eg if we can plug it into our board properly, even if it's through the monitoring jack or something).

I just say this because you have the absolute worst record for lost podcasts I've ever heard of. :v:

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
I might be completely ignorant so feel free to shoot this down but could you “stream” the audio somewhere so that it auto archives? Something like a Mixlr stream but you could do something like make is password protected so people couldn’t tap into it? It’s just a random thought as the quality might be terrible but at least it would save something.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Song For The Deaf posted:

hosed podcast audio can't be unfucked, especially if the file is just straight up lost. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost an episode, because it's cosmically dispiriting.

Years ago when I was 16 I did a few episodes of a one man podcast and made an episode that went just over an hour. That's the one that got lost. I re-recorded a 50 minute one :smith:

No I'm not posting any.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I will say my favorite episode of the Bombcast is the result of them losing the original recording. It's the December 8th 2008 episode and it's one I'll just download and relisten to now and then and never tire of.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I can't believe I'm the one saying it, but I'm kind of enjoying Garnett on Games. I guess the result of going solo on the podcast means that all his irritating aspects (being overly confrontational, playing the devil's advocate for no reason, making wild tangents or bad jokes) never happen. It's just a really cool monologue about what an industry vet finds fun.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I just say this because you have the absolute worst record for lost podcasts I've ever heard of. :v:

It might be our setup? It's just complicated enough to be too unwieldy for an unmaintained amateur studio. But when it's working it's so easy and sounds nice!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Szmitten posted:

Years ago when I was 16 I did a few episodes of a one man podcast and made an episode that went just over an hour. That's the one that got lost. I re-recorded a 50 minute one :smith:

No I'm not posting any.

I was going to say that I wish podcasts existed when I were a kid and I did this, but then I remembered that I made dumb radio shows with a tape recorder and a Realistic microphone from Radio Shack. The shows would star various household objects, my toys, and sound effects provided by an Atari 2600.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been listening to Video Games Hot Dog after dropping it a while ago and when I got to the discussion of unions in the 11th episode, the ignorance and toxicity and "don't like it, leave" argument was so appalling I nearly dropped it altogether, but then got to episode 12's discussion on appropriate speech on the podcast, it was interesting how sensible Guy Who Sounds Like Alex Navarro(sorry, it's gonna take a while for me to remember your real name and not immediately call you Alex :v:) was and accepting that maybe he is wrong about things or doesn't know everything, so I'll keep on listening. I had something about Unions typed up but this isn't really the thread for it. Suffice to say, they're a necessary evil, they might not always do the right things, but they're important in many situations all the same.

Also, is it only me who can't place names to voices until I've seen the people in question speaking on camera, and then I can suddenly distinguish them all easily? Like Idle Thumbs, it wasn't until I saw Jake, Chris and Nick talking on camera a while ago(might've been the Oktoberkast maybe) that I was then always able to place names to who was speaking on the cast, but before I would always mix Nick and Jake up and that hasn't happened ever since I saw them on camera. It's like I'm able to visualize them sitting in a recording studio, similar to the Bombcast's, and that way I can imagine who is speaking when? It's weird how the brain works in associating and organizing things.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been listening to Video Games Hot Dog after dropping it a while ago and when I got to the discussion of unions in the 11th episode, the ignorance and toxicity and "don't like it, leave" argument was so appalling I nearly dropped it altogether, but then got to episode 12's discussion on appropriate speech on the podcast, it was interesting how sensible Guy Who Sounds Like Alex Navarro(sorry, it's gonna take a while for me to remember your real name and not immediately call you Alex :v:) was and accepting that maybe he is wrong about things or doesn't know everything, so I'll keep on listening.
Much like Idle Thumbs did, VGHD has been really good about trying not to be accidental shitlords since then. I'll be honest, what little I've gleaned of Zack's politics certainly doesn't seem to line up with my own, but I'm not listening to - and they're not making - Politics Hot Dog, so on the few times things do start veering that way it's not a big deal.

Also I'm p. sure you're talking about Zack, except he doesn't sound greasy enough to me to sound like Navarro. Even listening to Navarro makes me want to wash my hair.

quote:

Also, is it only me who can't place names to voices until I've seen the people in question speaking on camera, and then I can suddenly distinguish them all easily?
It's always weird for me to put a face to the voice, with only two exceptions - Gerstmann and Breckon. They both look pretty much exactly like they sound to me.

e: No, three exceptions, Jeff Gerstmann, Nick Breckon, and Alex Navarro's hair.

e2: Was just looking at Wikipedia and there is a whole section on Idle Thumbs' page entitled "Dishonored Return of Nick Breckon"

sub supau fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 25, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TetsuoTW posted:

but I'm not listening to - and they're not making - Politics Hot Dog, so on the few times things do start veering that way it's not a big deal.
Of course not, but when they spend a decent chunk of time discussing it so aggressively and misinformed, it's pretty gross. Hopefully that's a relic of the earlier episodes and they stick to things they're more knowledgeable about in the ones past here, and if not, I'll just skip over those sections.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I had something about Unions typed up but this isn't really the thread for it. Suffice to say, they're a necessary evil, they might not always do the right things, but they're important in many situations all the same.
A necessary evil? :crossarms:

Man, some peoples views on Unions are hosed up.

TetsuoTW posted:

Much like Idle Thumbs did, VGHD has been really good about trying not to be accidental shitlords since then. I'll be honest, what little I've gleaned of Zack's politics certainly doesn't seem to line up with my own, but I'm not listening to - and they're not making - Politics Hot Dog, so on the few times things do start veering that way it's not a big deal.
This is true, but it's hard not to tangle up someone's political views with their personal views, and their personal views with whatever it is they're producing. The idea that you can separate politics from, well, anything really is fairly problematic, which is why you get stuff like the Orson Scott Card situation.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

TetsuoTW posted:

e2: Was just looking at Wikipedia and there is a whole section on Idle Thumbs' page entitled "Dishonored Return of Nick Breckon"

This makes me want a serious-themed, vaguely Thumbs-related game where the chapters are all taken from Idle Thumbs episode titles. "The Death of Nick Breckon" "Remember the Airfield" and "Jeff 'Gone' Goldblum" would all make great stories that would surely make the audience cry.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pasco posted:

Yeah that guy sounds very ignorant and uninformed and I almost stopped reading his post.

TetsuoTW posted:

Also I'm p. sure you're talking about Zack, except he doesn't sound greasy enough to me to sound like Navarro. Even listening to Navarro makes me want to wash my hair.

e: No, three exceptions, Jeff Gerstmann, Nick Breckon, and Alex Navarro's hair.

I like Alex Navarro quite a bit but that man is his gross greasy goatee made into a whole person.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I did a podcast for awhile and the setup was really simple, so simple that it seemed foolproof (ie. me-proof) and we still lost episodes. It just seems like one of those things that happens with audio recording, I have no idea why.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

VGHD (and by extension the KoL podcast) has been much better as of late. I remember there was a dogged refusal to stop using words like "retarded" or "gay" to describe things (that may have come about before VGHD was a thing), but they've been much, much better about potentially distasteful things like that while not being afraid to still be themselves.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

VGHD (and by extension the KoL podcast) has been much better as of late. I remember there was a dogged refusal to stop using words like "retarded" or "gay" to describe things (that may have come about before VGHD was a thing), but they've been much, much better about potentially distasteful things like that while not being afraid to still be themselves.

As I recall there was a discussion about this with Zack in one of the previous incarnations of this thread and it got them to change this (or at least seemed to be one of the factors that caused the change). It was a very nice thing to witness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pasco posted:

Sorry it was 5 AM and I worded it wrong/used the wrong phrase, but not everything about unions are good, and not every union is good. However, I do believe they are absolutely necessary for both protecting the rights of employees and keeping corporations in check. I am part of Teamsters and don't agree with some of the things they do, but they also provide support in many ways for employees both inside and outside of the workplace.

I just wanted to clarify a bit, I don't want to have this discussion here, if you'd like to have a union talk make a thread for it somewhere else(I dunno, D&D? GBS was where the last one was but...well...that'll end badly now)

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 25, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I made a Sinner's Sandwich for breakfast in honor of the latest WOLF episode and it was glorious. Gonna eat all my turkey sandwiches like this from now on, there's nothing Chex cereal can't make better!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was thinking about the sinners sandwich after that episode and concluded that it might be in a ballpark with and probably not that much weirder than a Monte Cristo sandwich

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

kuddles posted:

Garnett on Games.

Great idea Mr Lee, because it was definitely those other people in your podcast that were incompetent and everyone hated. You've solved the problem. Solo podcasting. rear end in a top hat.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Garnett's not incompetent, just insufferable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I just listened to an episode of Super Best Friendcast and it's so much fun.

I was had put off giving it a shot because I was a little intimidated by the 3 hour run time, but it flew by.

Some might not like how they yell over each other trying to get a punch line out, but that doesn't happen that often. It's not for everyone but now I'm hype about listening to their previous episodes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
This is going to be a hugely controversial opinion and I'm prepared to be yelled at and eventually exiled over it, but the new Idle Thumbs theme is pretty good...

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Incidentally, when is Chris going to do another song? It's been like... five years.

In the original thread Idle Thumbs had a two sentence description and one of them was like "Chris also sings." :v:

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The last song was a secret in one of the Phaedrus-sponsored episodes. The one with Steve talking about Receiver, that Wolfire game jam game.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_RWkH1NrwI

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Incidentally, when is Chris going to do another song? It's been like... five years.

In the original thread Idle Thumbs had a two sentence description and one of them was like "Chris also sings." :v:

Have you seen the twitch streams? The Kerbal one is especially nice.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I like the new Thumbs theme quite a bit. I'm not as into the new transition into and out if breaks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I just realized that the older Alex Navarro gets the more he looks just like Steve Buscemi from escape from LA

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Timett posted:

I like the new Thumbs theme quite a bit. I'm not as into the new transition into and out if breaks.
It feels like the vocals get a bit drowned out in places, but yeah, I like it. The transition OK, and I think it'll grow on me.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've just started a new gaming podcast (you know - like everyone else under the sun) so I thought I'd sling it here.

First episode here: http://www.gatecrashnetwork.com/podcasts/the-game-that-got-away/ and should be on iTunes...soon?

It's called The Game That Got Away and is basically a podcast encouraging guests to finish games they've not got round to completing. I talk to the guest about who they are and what they do, then we chat about what game they really want to finish. Then we both go away and try to finish it in a couple of weeks, to talk it through on the next episode. Each episode has two guests and each guest features on two episodes. All clear?

Good.

The first episode (as there is no previous episode's guest to interview) kicks off with an interview with Mark Meer, voice of the male Commander Shepard from Mass Effect (amongst other things).

I have not played Mass Effect. This was fine.

The second part of the episode is an interview with gamer, goon and comedian, Steve McNeil, who returns in episode 2 to makE life difficult for me once more.

God this is horribly confusing. It makes sense when you hear it, I promise.

The one thing I've learned is that having a professional voice actor as your first guest on your first ever podcast makes you sound like a stammering lunatic in comparison. It's okay though. It gets better, I swear.

I've got some ace guests lined up for future episodes and their interviews went really nicely. They include a writer for the BBC, the deputy editor of The New Statesman and an author of a book on how the nascent British videogame industry of the 70s and 80s helped shape the industry today. It's rad as hell and I'm really excited about releasing more. One thing I want is to have this show get really nerdy, so rather than two comedians talking to each other, I want to get people in the industry involved, or people from interesting backgrounds &c. Basically I want as much behind-the-scenes stuff as I do chucklestuff.

As an aside, I'm committed to having an even gender split in my show, so while ep1 is just two dudes, there are women in episodes 2 and 3 and beyond - I'm going to do my goddamn best to get a 50/50 balance.

Would be really interested to hear your thoughts!

EDIT: We're now on iTunes! At last! https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-game-that-got-away/id849984650?mt=2

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 5, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Sounds rad, Guy. Definitely going to listen!

edit: giving you highly valuable retweets and facebook shares so now you owe me a life debt

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2014

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Flint_Paper posted:

Would be really interested to hear your thoughts!

I've actually been following you on twitter for a while, didn't know you were a goon though! I really enjoyed the first episode, the conversational tone is really good but doesn't feel unstructured, and you've a much better voice for hosting than 90% of people who host podcasts! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

I have to wonder about the release schedule, you mentioned it would be monthly, but I'm not sure if that would be good, given the nature of the format. I suppose you have to consider the guests and make sure they have time to play the games they've chosen but I can't help but think that it might be too long from the listener's perspective. Maybe I'm all wrong though and you've already considered this, either way I'll be waiting on the next one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Once a month isn't bad, but only if he has a better release schedule than Robert Ashley.

• Locked thread