Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i used that jamacian beer's bottles once (red stripe?) and holy poo poo do not use those thin pieces of poo poo for your own beer. there is nothing worse than waking up to the sound of wet explosions. trying to get them outside when half have already gone off is special kind of terrifying too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

there is nothing worse than waking up to the sound of wet explosions.

speak for urself :fap:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

i know what this means but it always sounds like a euphemism for taking a poo poo

down where i lie a grower is another term for a vagina so i hope you're not talkng about taking a poo poo in a women's vagina. gross

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the solution is to drink lots of Grolsch in flip tops and reuse the bottles. flip tops own for home brewing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who wants to help me with an epic amp question

OK

so i have my sub sorted. i am looking for an amp for my regular stereo speakers

requirements - um stereo input and stereo output

that is all

i dont think i have an ear for quality so unless its tragically terrible i can probably deal with it

currently i am using an old pioneer all in one cd/tape/tuner unit i got like 15 years ago and have it permanently on aux inpt and it works OK but its huge for what its doing and it puts out some fuckin hot air ALL THE TIME and im starting to feel its a safety hazard

it seems very easy to find either very small amps and cheap n poo poo or you skip straight to tube amps worth $1000s of dollars

this current amp says its 270 watts. i have no idea wehther to believe that or what its meaning exactly it doesnt even say rms or whatever

and in fact to be honest the car amp i am using for my sub powered from a pc power supply is probably perfect only i dont have another one... maybe i should just look at that.

welp this is futle

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

spankmeister posted:

the solution is to drink lots of Grolsch in flip tops and reuse the bottles. flip tops own for home brewing

if you like grolsch you can actually get a decent amount per empty bottle reselling them too

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

they come new in all kinds of sizes too
plus they're fun to open and make a big noise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in fact it fucks me off how hard it is to find a simple decent amp

like its all features out the wazoo or other bullshit

car amps are good in the sense that they are single purpose, they dont gently caress around etc... but they are 12v... mother fuckers

if i could find amps for housoe stereos but designed like car amps, you know, just amplify and nut else.. wow. so cool

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

some cheapo receiver from wherever might be good enough?
you know all the inputs and outputs like what you already have

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*by decent i mean cheap as gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

some cheapo receiver from wherever might be good enough?
you know all the inputs and outputs like what you already have

i just dont see them in the shops. its all hdmi inputs or whatever other jazz to make it expensive

why dont more people build to my frugal expectations

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

sony strdh130
not sure you can get much more boring

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

echinopsis posted:

*by decent i mean cheap as gently caress

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PAMP1000-Channel-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002UL0XH2/

Get some cheap pyle or pyramid or boss piece of poo poo. Got a buddy that has one for his computer speakers that he got at rat shack for like $30, works fine.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
pyle: we put the product reviews in the name

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enotnert posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PAMP1000-Channel-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002UL0XH2/

Get some cheap pyle or pyramid or boss piece of poo poo. Got a buddy that has one for his computer speakers that he got at rat shack for like $30, works fine.

hey thabks that's a great starting place to start hunting

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
last beerchat non computer idiot spare time project post for a while (i promise):

fucker is really going. the airlock is bubbling like crazy.

the gaffer's tape is because i'm using a brand new stopper and the drat thing wouldn't stay in.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can't swing a dead cat on ebay without hitting a $30 50 watt per channel t-amp

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doc Block posted:

last beerchat non computer idiot spare time project post for a while (i promise):

fucker is really going. the airlock is bubbling like crazy.

the gaffer's tape is because i'm using a brand new stopper and the drat thing wouldn't stay in.

why is it red?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you can't swing a dead cat on ebay without hitting a $30 50 watt per channel t-amp

whats a t amp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

whats a t amp

its a particular kind of class d amp, known for sounding ok and being cheap with reasonable efficiency

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

why is it red?

i think it's just the lighting. it's in actuality a brownish color.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
class a amps ftw

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Doc Block posted:

i think it's just the lighting. it's in actuality a brownish color.

Much like your posts!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Chill Callahan posted:

class a amps ftw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chill Callahan posted:

class a amps ftw

well of course you fuckin morone

unless you're considering price or practicality or any of those things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
run a mesa boogie mk iv as your daily driver erry day

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
real talk buy an old professional audio amp like a hafler or a crown.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wild EEPROM posted:

real talk buy an old professional audio amp like a hafler or a crown.

esp. if have been looking at space heaters, kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

my stepdads beer posted:

brewing is fun and cool but the bottling part is dumb and boring and prone to explosions if you're impatient

this is why you buy a pressure barrel with a tap and if you want to sperg out and be classy, buy a pump and stick it in a bar if you drink it all the time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you can't swing a dead cat on ebay

thanks obama

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

spankmeister posted:

why is it red?

BLOOD BEER :black101:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
GOD DAMNIT

Had a blow off. poo poo's messy.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
beer got blue balls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...%3D291107023645
so i got one of those. it has a -12v... correct me if i am wrong but this isn't ground right.., it means -12v realtive to ground so -24v relative to the +12v line?

also is that voltage adjust thing just for minor adjustment?

i dont know what i am doing. good huh

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

presumably.
the description just says "12v"!
so if you see GND, 12V and -12V you get out a meter and see. are the labels right? do you get 24V between the two 12v's?

if you don't have a meter then just lick the terminals and gauge off pain :)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey, hi, i have a question

i have a very stupid idea for something which would basically require the same guts as the haptic compass (except instead of being a buzzy belt it's something else)

my question is how the heck do you connect an arduino to an iphone app

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Werthog 95 posted:

hey, hi, i have a question

i have a very stupid idea for something which would basically require the same guts as the haptic compass (except instead of being a buzzy belt it's something else)

my question is how the heck do you connect an arduino to an iphone app

nfc or bluetooth module id guess

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh i googled it and yeah bluetooth

i guess to get ur bearing u need to make an app that lets u set a waypoint and then just constantly sends the bearing over bluetooth. unless u put a gps module on the arduino thing itself so u only need to send over the coordinates

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bluetooth low energy to be specific

ugh it's times like these that make me wish i had an android. no developer license and my macbook is currently busted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

presumably.
the description just says "12v"!
so if you see GND, 12V and -12V you get out a meter and see. are the labels right? do you get 24V between the two 12v's?

if you don't have a meter then just lick the terminals and gauge off pain :)

using my multimeter... hmm genius... why didn't i think
of that???? (because i am morone)