Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Snowdens Secret posted:

(I'm pretty sure blocking the walk is ticketable more or less everywhere in the US)

OTOH, this likely falls into the same category of "unless you give a cop a reason to write you a ticket they aren't going to enforce it" as the majority of traffic laws that aren't speeding, DUI or window tint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Geoj posted:

OTOH, this likely falls into the same category of "unless you give a cop a reason to write you a ticket they aren't going to enforce it" as the majority of traffic laws that aren't speeding, DUI or window tint.

Admittedly I'm not a LEO but if I saw someone parked on the sidewalk I'd just say "hey, thanks for making my job so easy."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Admittedly I'm not a LEO but if I saw someone parked on the sidewalk I'd just say "hey, thanks for making my job so easy."

Unless you were on meter maid detail you'd probably say "gently caress it, not my problem."

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Depends if your department has quotas or not. If they do that's worth about 1/5th or 1/6th of your day's activity and takes all of 3 minutes to handle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I know for a fact that cops loooooove to ticket and/or tow douchebags for parking in handicap spots without a reason/tag.

Which I have absolutely no problem with, honestly. Ticket those assholes all day and I'll clap.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Parking on a sidewalk or pedestrian thoroughfare here like that is at least a parking ticket. If the Fire Marshals show up though and they figure your blocking some sort of fire lane/access to hydrants/or emergency entrance egress of any type you'll likely find your car in the tow lot pretty fast. Most departments don't have "parking quotas". This would fall more under "community relations".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want to thank the owner of the 335i perpetuating stereotypes about BMW drivers who was so incensed at being forced to drive at a mere 45 in a 40 mph zone that he zigged between lanes about four times in a quarter mile trying to find a hole, crossing a double yellow to try and figure out why people were blocking him (spoiler: the road was full and no one could go faster) and flipping his high beams rapidly because we didn't part like the red sea to allow his lordship through.

He hugs up on my bumper and does this for a few seconds, so I brake checked him. That finally got him to back off but as soon as a car in the other lane made a turn he juked around me at full throttle and tried to brake check me back. Unfortunately for him I knew it was coming so I'd let off the gas and all he ended up doing was looking like an even bigger dick.

About 100 yards later he made a left turn, and jerked the wheel three times as he tried to decide which side to slip around the next car in front of him, all before he'd even finished the turn.

Stupid shitface, hope he impales himself on a guardrail.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Galler posted:

Depends if your department has quotas or not. If they do that's worth about 1/5th or 1/6th of your day's activity and takes all of 3 minutes to handle.

Quotas are Illegal and You Will Not Find Them In Any American Police Force, Citizen. :commissar:

Unrelated, am I a dick for strictly enforcing stop signs and the 20/25 (it varies) speed limit in my neighborhood? It seems like every day some jackass turns off the main road about 1/4 mile behind me, and by the first stop sign they're breathing down my neck, and stay there until one of us turns off.

Doesn't help that there's 5 routes into my neighborhood. They all intersect directly in front of my house, which leads to a shitload of people turning right on the corner my house is on because they're using it as a cut-through in lieu of the 35mph north-south street further east, but going the same speed. Even worse, my driveway is on the right after said turn, so I essentially have to make a wide u-turn into it, which combined with impatient dickwads behind me ignoring the stop sign means I've come within inches of being T-boned on numerous occasions.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Right, right, if the department has activity requirements a ticket of any kind may be worth somewhere around 1/5th or 1/6th of the daily activity requirement.

I forget whatever dumb totally-not-a-quota name my department used.

e: No you're not a dick. I'm fine with people going about as fast as they want outside of towns/cities but slow the gently caress down in residential areas.

Galler fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 1, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I want to thank the owner of the 335i perpetuating stereotypes about BMW drivers who was so incensed at being forced to drive at a mere 45 in a 40 mph zone that he zigged between lanes about four times in a quarter mile trying to find a hole, crossing a double yellow to try and figure out why people were blocking him (spoiler: the road was full and no one could go faster) and flipping his high beams rapidly because we didn't part like the red sea to allow his lordship through.

He hugs up on my bumper and does this for a few seconds, so I brake checked him. That finally got him to back off but as soon as a car in the other lane made a turn he juked around me at full throttle and tried to brake check me back. Unfortunately for him I knew it was coming so I'd let off the gas and all he ended up doing was looking like an even bigger dick.

About 100 yards later he made a left turn, and jerked the wheel three times as he tried to decide which side to slip around the next car in front of him, all before he'd even finished the turn.

It's always the 335s, isn't it? Rarely will you see such obvious idiocy from the 328s or even M3s, but you'll always see a jackass in a 335.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Unrelated, am I a dick for strictly enforcing stop signs and the 20/25 (it varies) speed limit in my neighborhood? It seems like every day some jackass turns off the main road about 1/4 mile behind me, and by the first stop sign they're breathing down my neck, and stay there until one of us turns off.

Technically, no. :v:

I started doing full stops about a year ago, mostly as a passive aggressive reaction to a lot of bad driving. Sort of a "if you're gonna piss me off by driving sloppy, I'm gonna piss you off by delaying your schedule by two seconds."

Oddly it never seems to trigger any rage. What surprised me even more is that a certain portion of drivers will start to do full stops too. My assumption is they're looking for the cop or something, but I'll take whatever works.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was taking a left on green and the minivan coming my way gave me the horn for getting in his way, so I flipped the guy off. It's green, gently caress you. Then I realized it was his right of way and I felt like a douche. The guy didn't get close enough to have to use his breaks but still, eh. I am the idiot you share the road with.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

xzzy posted:

No matter how much of an rear end in a top hat someone's being, brake checking is a pretty terrible idea all around. It's an easy way to cause an accident and inconvenience a whole lot of people other than the parties involved.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

blk posted:

No matter how much of an rear end in a top hat someone's being, brake checking is a pretty terrible idea all around. It's an easy way to cause an accident and inconvenience a whole lot of people other than the parties involved.

This. Also you can continue at speed and annoy much more by just lightly tapping the brake pedal once in a while to trigger the lights without actually braking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Volt has a "low gear" setting, that essentially changes the regenerative braking curve to be more aggressive, and lets you mostly drive with just the accelerator pedal. It's great for heavy traffic, but it still doesn't light the brake lights, which means it's great for causing people to panic-brake, because they're following too close, and the idiot lights didn't come on. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

blk posted:

Normally I agree but this guy pissed me off sufficiently that I was half hoping he'd hit me and we'd have to settle it with the cops present. It's not hyperbole when I say I have never seen a driver as aggressive as this one, you'd have to watch NASCAR to see anything comparable.

I wasn't in the right but I ain't apologizing for it. :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not condoning parking on the sidewalk (I'm pretty sure blocking the walk is ticketable more or less everywhere in the US) but a lot of people may have bought their houses/flats/whatever with the understanding that that was legal and permissible parking. Waving your hands and going "you have to park two blocks away because you're frustrating me on my casual Sunday stroll" is a pretty big dick move.

Waving you hands and going "I'm gonna park on the pavement so I don't have to walk two blocks to my car" is also a pretty big dick move.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
You share the road with me driving around in one of these:

Sorry guys. :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

turn in your card

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Your car is anonymous and everybody who sees it assumes that there's a reluctant and confused pedestrian inside anyway, so go hog wild. Be that person.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Ror posted:

Your car is anonymous and everybody who sees it assumes that there's a reluctant and confused pedestrian inside anyway, so go hog wild. Be that person.

At least I stay out of the left lane and I don't drive like a moron. v:shobon:v

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Fucknag posted:

You may be an rear end in a top hat, but you're my kind of rear end in a top hat. Keep up the good fight! :patriot:

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

MrYenko posted:

The Volt has a "low gear" setting, that essentially changes the regenerative braking curve to be more aggressive, and lets you mostly drive with just the accelerator pedal. It's great for heavy traffic, but it still doesn't light the brake lights, which means it's great for causing people to panic-brake, because they're following too close, and the idiot lights didn't come on. :v:

This is yet another reason why I love manual transmissions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had a red light runner tonight. Honda Odyssey, really beat up, holes in body panels, et cetera. Actually started braking when the light turned yellow - then the light turned red and they floored it. Right in front of a car whose light just turned green. :psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

dpidz0r posted:

This is yet another reason why I love manual transmissions.

It's not brake checking if you're trying to use the gear that offers the best balance between acceleration and engine braking in traffic. :colbert: Less wear on your clutch!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Two fun ones this morning. First was some dip poo poo with no lights on while driving down a country road with no lighting. I'm riding along and something looks strange...oh yup this rear end in a top hat.

Then engine braking up to a long red light (just turned) some guy decides I'm slowing too slowly for him. Passes me on the shoulder then cuts back in front so he can slam on his brakes. I'm on the motorcycle so I just pass him and filter up to the front of the line to get away from the idiot.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Captain Bravo posted:

You may be an rear end in a top hat, but you're my kind of rear end in a top hat. Keep up the good fight! :patriot:

I agree with this goon. I do the same thing. Keep on keepin' on, man! :glomp:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Then engine braking up to a long red light (just turned) some guy decides I'm slowing too slowly for him. Passes me on the shoulder then cuts back in front so he can slam on his brakes. I'm on the motorcycle so I just pass him and filter up to the front of the line to get away from the idiot.

I've never understood why anyone in a car ever thinks they need to be in front of a bike at a light.

I mean assuming it's not a Harley and there are turns in visible distance

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

my path in the blue, the moron in the silver grand am who I almost tboned when he pulled out in front of me in the red. I had a green arrow going right and I was going maybe 30 mph since I carried a bit of speed around that corner. How the hell do these people survive so long taking unprotected lefts without actually looking both ways?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or you know use one of the three other exits that don't dump you right into an intersection. That exit they used should probably be configured for right turns only.

Regardless of what direction they wanted to end up traveling, the exit in the upper right would have been superior.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rscott posted:

How the hell do these people survive so long taking unprotected lefts without actually looking both ways?
Because there are still some people on the road that pay attention and don't want their car destroyed. There's been so many cases in the past month where if I hadn't done something both cars would have been wrecked.

I want to borrow my friends M939 (military 5-ton) again and just stop caring but my commute would take way too long if I had to explain why I ran over some rear end in a top hat who pulled out in front of me. I had way too much fun driving that thing through Atlanta.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 24, 2019

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011
whats the best use of money if I want extremely loud horn(s)? Had a girl slowly try to switch lanes into me without looking despite me holding down the horn the whole time.

It was pretty funny because we then pulled up to a red light and she would have been right beside me but she stopped like 4 car lengths back. At least she was ashamed I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

a real rear end nigga posted:

whats the best use of money if I want extremely loud horn(s)? Had a girl slowly try to switch lanes into me without looking despite me holding down the horn the whole time.

It was pretty funny because we then pulled up to a red light and she would have been right beside me but she stopped like 4 car lengths back. At least she was ashamed I guess.

Train horn, and not one of those pussy chromed plastic EBAY shits. Idiots can't hear anything less than 150db

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I bought and installed Hella Supertones - they're loud, but they're not THAT loud. If I was getting a horn now I would probably go straight to an air-horn.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

a real rear end nigga posted:

Fiamm Highway Blasters are louder than Supertones and much much cheaper.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fiamm Highway Blasters are louder than Supertones and much much cheaper.

But they're not round and red, so even if you do put them right in your grille, nobody knows you have them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

But they're not round and red, so even if you do put them right in your grille, nobody knows you have them.

If you're buying Hella Supertones and you haven't had the horn grille powdercoated hot pink I don't even know what to say to you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you're buying Hella Supertones and you haven't had the horn grille powdercoated hot pink I don't even know what to say to you.

But the uniform code clearly states they should be red.

The 4 requiremnts are
-Red hella supertones
-red rally armor mudflaps
-A ken block t-shirt
-A buddy in the passengers seat that is totally gonna kill mustangs once R34 GT-Rs become legal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
what's the downlow on truck horns vs. train horns vs. marine horns, and is there a way to connect a relay so they go off if I hold both horn buttons