Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Off topic, but I saw a Pulsar driving around a few days ago, Sportback and all. Same colors too, red with silver rear. You don't live in the Orlando area by any chance, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

That looks fantastic! What products have you used?

Thanks! I start off with 1500 grit finishing paper, then 3000, then onto Meguiar's 105, 205, 3, and lastly 20 which is the sealant. Bought a clay bar kit too to keep it nice and smooth.

EDIT: ^^^ California. Good to hear there's another running around though, never seen another one driving around here.

PhoenixWing fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 30, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

ratbert90 posted:

Single bucket car washes can be good for light amounts of dirt. If your car is really bad I suggest taking it down to a non-automated car wash and spraying it off there first with a high pressure nozzle and soap. DO NOT USE THEIR BRUSHES. Then you can bring it back home and do a single bucket car wash.

Yeah, I'll usually stop by an automated, touchless wash or one of these places to rinse the car off before I hand wash it.

I wish claybarring wasn't so tedious. The Mazda3 hatch has so much surface area. :(

Full Circle posted:

I just did my first hand wash of the year since moving into an apartment. I used Optimum No Rinse with a bucket/gritguard and 4 microfiber towels. The whole process took under 20 minutes and had just as good results as when I had hose access and used normal wash liquid.

That's the brand I've been looking at. Where did you pick yours up, and are there any coupons or discounts for Optimum stuff?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I happened to find some for sale at a local auto body place for the same price as amazon, otherwise it seems like autogeek is the only other good option.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The brushes themselves are not bad, they're very soft bristles with nice foam. What's bad is the grit and dirt and crap that gets in them from people cleaning their mud trucks, wheelwells, etc.

So, what I do is take about 15 seconds on high-pressure soap and blast the gently caress out of the brush itself, as it's hanging on the wall. This gets all the nasties out, and give you a nice brush to use.

One piece of missed grit could scratch your paint. Not worth it IMO.

metajew posted:

I wish claybarring wasn't so tedious. The Mazda3 hatch has so much surface area.

Got a DA polisher?

http://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-003-AutoScrub-Medium-Polisher/dp/B005RCD9L8

Enjoy!

PhoenixWing posted:

Thanks! I start off with 1500 grit finishing paper, then 3000, then onto Meguiar's 105, 205, 3, and lastly 20 which is the sealant. Bought a clay bar kit too to keep it nice and smooth.

EDIT: ^^^ California. Good to hear there's another running around though, never seen another one driving around here.

Nice! It looks fantastic for sure! :feelsgood:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The only thing that touches my paint is clean microfiber. (Not including DA pads)

Seriously there is no reason to ever use a brush on paint and those brushes are usually filthy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Repost from my project thread:

I love single stage paint.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looking good. Better take the Mazda badge off, or you'll never be able to finish, though!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This one is for you Rhyno (and Adiabatic): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah9JTgv-5wAxdE1qWUl3VF90X2J3T3RrN2Fac00tT0E&usp=sharing

Note: this is what it cost me, so yeah...

Also, this looks like a really decent deal if you're looking to start assembling a kit: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griots-Garage-6-inch-Random-Orbital-Polisher-Swirl-Remover-Kit_p_704.html

Double also, Detailer's Domain has an S2Ki forum coupon floating around.

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 1, 2014

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
I'm looking to get a new set of pads and polish for my PC. All the stuff I used to have (polishing-wise) has either been lost or mislabeled in a few recent moves. So what I need is maybe three pads and two stages of polish. IIRC there was a link in this thread to a deal where you could get LC pads and the appropriate polishes as a kit, but I can't seem to find it. I have everything else, so a lot of the packages on AutoGeek aren't what I'm looking for, unless I missed something.

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

Have you looked on chemical guys? They have a lot of pads for the PC, and a kit for microfiber pads + polish if you're looking for a two stage set up. I believe they also carry the LC pads as well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So now that the Mazda's back on the road, I want to clean off the layer of grime from sitting in the garage for a year. I'm gonna Dawn wash and claybar it later today. There's some swirls from terrible rag washes past, so it's gonna need polishing at some point. I don't really have budget for a DA right now; what would be the best way to go about hand polishing? I've got spare time at the moment, so I can do a panel at a time if need be.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Phone posted:

This one is for you Rhyno (and Adiabatic): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah9JTgv-5wAxdE1qWUl3VF90X2J3T3RrN2Fac00tT0E&usp=sharing

Note: this is what it cost me, so yeah...

Also, this looks like a really decent deal if you're looking to start assembling a kit: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griots-Garage-6-inch-Random-Orbital-Polisher-Swirl-Remover-Kit_p_704.html

Double also, Detailer's Domain has an S2Ki forum coupon floating around.

Thanks for the effort bud!

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Stultus posted:

Have you looked on chemical guys? They have a lot of pads for the PC, and a kit for microfiber pads + polish if you're looking for a two stage set up. I believe they also carry the LC pads as well.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up buying the Chemical Guys three pack of hex-logic pads along with v34, v36, and v38 polishes. I'll post some before/afters with details about the products and combos that I used once I get some time.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I recently made an effort to hand wash my car in hopes to fix this lovely paint situation on my hood.

(This is an after picture, roughly 2 months after)

My process was basically: wash with car soap, leather shammy dry, clay bar, a three stage wax solution from mothers and then a carnuba wax to top it. The spots in my paint didn't go anywhere.
Unfortunately, I didn't know about the compound solution that Meguier's makes until after I washed it.
I bought some, but before I spend another three-four hours washing my car, will that fix the spotty paint on my hood?

Also the headlights. I've spent about two weeks researching how to clean them up but I always got mixed results ranging from "only use chemicals", "don't screw up the UV protection layer!" to "Use compound", "wet sand them, then buff the poo poo out of them".
As far as I know, they're plastic headlight cases and that's about as much as I know about them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That is what's called "dead paint." You may be able to buff a shine to it, but it'll never be right.

For the headlights, just wet sand, then polish. If that doesn't work, just get new ones on eBay for cheap. It's a VW, they're everywhere.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 24, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I never understand the "damage to the UV protection" angle. Look, they're hosed anyway, have at them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I never understand the "damage to the UV protection" angle. Look, they're hosed anyway, have at them.

The point of that is that once the UV protectant is off of them they will end up looking just as hosed forthwith (like 3 to 6 months depending on where you live) so then you have to do it all over again.

Or just spray it with a UV protectant to begin with and get some more time out of all of the sucky labor you did.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I know. I mean people seem to say it as a reason not to fix them in the first place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I know. I mean people seem to say it as a reason not to fix them in the first place.

Oh....sorry then.

If they're that screwed up the UV protection has been long gone for quite some time.

Also, unless you're driving something a bit exotic you can get repros pretty drat cheaply. I think the last set of headlights I put on a Camry were like $65 including new bulbs from Rock Auto (the dealer wanted like $200+ for the factory parts).

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Fucknag posted:

So now that the Mazda's back on the road, I want to clean off the layer of grime from sitting in the garage for a year. I'm gonna Dawn wash and claybar it later today. There's some swirls from terrible rag washes past, so it's gonna need polishing at some point. I don't really have budget for a DA right now; what would be the best way to go about hand polishing? I've got spare time at the moment, so I can do a panel at a time if need be.

Hand polishing is unlikely to remove swirl marks unless you spend hundreds of hours on your car. Orbital machines work around 6k orbitals per minute (100 orbits per second), which is roughly 100 times faster than you can do by hand. It takes at least 2 hours to do one pass with a machine, so...expect 200 hours (which is absolutely absurd). The best you can do is use some sealant and then wax your car after claying it. Your car will look a lot better after this, but this process will never remove the swirl marks. Wash your car regularly and save up for a DA polisher.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:pwn: Will do, guess I underestimated just how much those things do.

Just handwashing and (gradual) claying has already made a huge difference, though. I don't think this thing's gotten anything more caring than drive-through wash with hand wax the entire time we've had it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

DevCore posted:

Also the headlights. I've spent about two weeks researching how to clean them up but I always got mixed results ranging from "only use chemicals", "don't screw up the UV protection layer!" to "Use compound", "wet sand them, then buff the poo poo out of them".
As far as I know, they're plastic headlight cases and that's about as much as I know about them.

I had similarly bad headlights on my Forester, and got really good results with a Sylvania headlight restoration kit. I think it cost me about $15, and took about 30 minutes to do both headlights.

After about 16 months (much of that in Arizona, without covered parking), there are a couple of small spots that are starting to haze up again (probably because I didn't get the sealer on them very well initially), but the lenses still look really good overall.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Does anyone have any experience with ultrasonic paint thickness meters? I was looking at the high-dollar ($300+) at autogeek, but then started to look elsewhere. Seems like Harbor Freight used to sell one under the Centon name, still available on eBay. Also, there are a number of Chinese tools, some obvious knockoffs of others. See:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Biao...1714069010.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-...1708002751.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Pai...=item2a3a3ea121
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Ult...063813438&rt=nc

I've seen that the cheap knockoffs are virtually just as accurate as name brands with IR thermometers, digital calipers, etc. Are ultrasonic paint thickness meters the same way?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody know of the best method for fixing large chips in clear coat and whatnot? Is paintscratch.com still a good source for materials?

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 5, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Does anyone have any experience with ultrasonic paint thickness meters? I was looking at the high-dollar ($300+) at autogeek, but then started to look elsewhere. Seems like Harbor Freight used to sell one under the Centon name, still available on eBay. Also, there are a number of Chinese tools, some obvious knockoffs of others. See:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Biao...1714069010.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-...1708002751.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Pai...=item2a3a3ea121
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Ult...063813438&rt=nc

I've seen that the cheap knockoffs are virtually just as accurate as name brands with IR thermometers, digital calipers, etc. Are ultrasonic paint thickness meters the same way?

I have a buddy with one of the Harbor Freight ones. He's a professional detailer and it works fine for him. He's checked it against other high dollar ones before and found little to no difference in the readings.

Phelan
Dec 23, 2004
So i've got a 97' e36 328i with a matt strip forming down the middle of the roof of the car after the sunroof. The matt section looks fine if the car is wet. I'm pretty new to all this detailing stuff so but i get the gist of it. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is a pic to sum it all up.

Is their anything that can be done to make it look respectable again?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phelan posted:

So i've got a 97' e36 328i with a matt strip forming down the middle of the roof of the car after the sunroof. The matt section looks fine if the car is wet. I'm pretty new to all this detailing stuff so but i get the gist of it. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is a pic to sum it all up.

Is their anything that can be done to make it look respectable again?

There probably is.

The matte section looks like someone was doing a wet-sand or deep compounding and missed polishing that section back out. :iiam:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a DA polisher and go to town on it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I don't have anything to buff with except some microfibre cloth. That has done me 'mostly' well, except for when I spend two weekends claybarring and cleaning the car afterwards.

I really want to get my (stupid plastic) turn lamps nice and bright and shiny - like the ones they just replaced. Is there anything I can use over the counter to buff them up nice and shiny by hand? They're not UV destroyed - just old and a bit dirty, with no luster. :(

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

West SAAB Story posted:

I don't have anything to buff with except some microfibre cloth. That has done me 'mostly' well, except for when I spend two weekends claybarring and cleaning the car afterwards.

I really want to get my (stupid plastic) turn lamps nice and bright and shiny - like the ones they just replaced. Is there anything I can use over the counter to buff them up nice and shiny by hand? They're not UV destroyed - just old and a bit dirty, with no luster. :(

Tape off around the headlight. Wet sand with 600grit sandpaper and spray with clearcoat. Or just buy one of those 3M headlight restore kits.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Brain Issues posted:

Tape off around the headlight. Wet sand with 600grit sandpaper and spray with clearcoat. Or just buy one of those 3M headlight restore kits.

I think I'll pop them back out to do it, since it requires two screws (for both sides) :v:

I figured that was the solution, but was hoping for something a bit less invasive. Thanks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

I think I'll pop them back out to do it, since it requires two screws (for both sides) :v:

I figured that was the solution, but was hoping for something a bit less invasive. Thanks!

Meguiars 10 and 17 when used together will make a clear finish without sanding. The "cleaner" is abrasive enough to remove significant hazing, you just need to put A LOT of friction into it to work it. The "polish" is almost unnecessary, but it does help to make a final shine.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

Meguiars 10 and 17 when used together will make a clear finish without sanding. The "cleaner" is abrasive enough to remove significant hazing, you just need to put A LOT of friction into it to work it. The "polish" is almost unnecessary, but it does help to make a final shine.

Guess I'll have more goodies to add to my queue. Thanks, Detailpimp. Can you recommend any cheapish random orbitals? I'm looking for a basic "starter" kit that I can hurr-durr cut my teeth on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I posted one last week.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Thanks for the info! I'm ordering the Sylvania kit.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I received my Autogeek starter kit with the PC7424XP and pads. I had some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish on hand as well as some wax. I've been playing with my technique this week on the car after work. So far the work has been limited to the trunk lid as I want to be confident in my technique and materials before doing the entire vehicle. Even with the PC it's still time consuming, between washing and claying the car between attempts to trying to go slow and make enough passes over the area. First I didn't have the speed high enough to be effective so I watched the YouTube videos again for a refresher and made adjustments. The area I've been working on still isn't perfect but it's vastly improved. Here are some pics:

Unwashed and untreated. Note the swirl marks and spiderweb effect everywhere. This isn't very noticeable from 10 feet away but up close it's everywhere.

Fairly noticeable scratch:

More spiderweb:

Taping the area off:

What happens when you freak out trying to answer an important phone call while polishing your car:

Here were the results after the first attempt. Not the best lighting but definitely improved.

Taken the next day in bright sunlight, you can still see a good amount of spiderweb/swirl marks:

Attempt 2: Taped off a square in the middle of the trunk lid and tried again. Much bigger difference this time.

Attempt 3: This time did the entire trunk lid again. Pics in bright sunlight:

The swirls are getting to the point to where they are hard to photograph, at least on my phone. However, the pics are a little misleading and I'm still not satisfied with the final results. There are still visible nicks and swirls on close inspection. My process has been wash, clay, several passes w/ yellow pad and compound, several passes with orange pad and compound, several passes with orange/pink pad and polish, and finally wax.

Should I step up to the M105 compound at this point? I can't imagine spending this much time going over every body panel, it would probably take 40+ hours at this rate.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You are moving into RIDS at this point. You can step it up with m105/205 and LC orange/white pads for sure, but if you want it perfect, then sanding is going to be your only option.

RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you guys think of the interior on this S2k I'm looking at? It looks worn a little harder than I'd expect from 33,000 miles on the car. I wonder if the sun has been hard on the leather, or if it's just glare/flash in the photos. The carpets do look worn/soiled, any suggestion there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

What do you guys think of the interior on this S2k I'm looking at? It looks worn a little harder than I'd expect from 33,000 miles on the car. I wonder if the sun has been hard on the leather, or if it's just glare/flash in the photos. The carpets do look worn/soiled, any suggestion there?

That perforated leather can be a tough one. It doesn't look that bad in the pictures, though.

The biggest concern I'd have is in the picture above. It looks like the door was opened until it smacked the adjacent car... and looking at the door on the adjacent car, well... looks like it has happened, a lot. If you look, there's a consistent grouping of chips in the adjacent door, one row and then another row about 1" down. It looks like the S2000's door was hit into it when it was opened to get in, and to get out. If the chick driving it is somewhat of a :btroll: (quite possible from the reflection in the last picture), then it would match perfectly. Also, the end cap of the window wiper molding is just about out, which is odd.

And the scuffing on the sills and the seatbelt wound up outside of the holder is evidence of giving no poo poo whatsoever.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 16, 2014