Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Remember TV works differently in other universes, so if you don't see "Rick and Morty" on the schedule, look for "Old Scientist Man And His Ki- I Mean His Grandkid Who's Not A Scientist, Actually He's The Opposite Of A Scientist, He's Kind of An Idiot Really, Anyway These Two Guys Go On Space Adven- On Sci-fi Adventures In Space And Time With All Sorts Of Gadgets And Funny Things Happen, It's A Cartoon, You Get The Idea".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tempo 119 posted:

Remember TV works differently in other universes, so if you don't see "Rick and Morty" on the schedule, look for "Old Scientist Man And His Ki- I Mean His Grandkid Who's Not A Scientist, Actually He's The Opposite Of A Scientist, He's Kind of An Idiot Really, Anyway These Two Guys Go On Space Adven- On Sci-fi Adventures In Space And Time With All Sorts Of Gadgets And Funny Things Happen, It's A Cartoon, You Get The Idea, hehhehehe..it's called Rick and Morty."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I want to believe this is intentional, even though it certainly isn't. :v:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
TV scheduling isn't always easy.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Which means that sometimes it is easy.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
It's more likely to be a repeat. However, it is airing within 90 minutes of April Fools Day, which I seem to remember [as] has put into action before midnight April 1 before. All bets are off.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Does Adult Swim do april fool's at midnight day-of, though? I can't remember how they've handled it in the past, but most of their other scheduling works on the day that the block starts, rather than the day it ends in.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Funkmaster General posted:

Does Adult Swim do april fool's at midnight day-of, though? I can't remember how they've handled it in the past, but most of their other scheduling works on the day that the block starts, rather than the day it ends in.

AS usually does April Fools at midnight, right as March 31 becomes April 1. So yeah, it's tonight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So they'll be playing "Doc and Mharti" instead of a new episode?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

PostNouveau posted:

So they'll be playing "Doc and Mharti" instead of a new episode?

To prepare us for their guest spot on next week's episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not a new episode.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Welp, there you have it. Raising Gazorpazorp. Unsurprised, but still a tad disappointed.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Awwww bitch....no new episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Look at the airdates of the original Twilight Zone episodes: one a week, every week. No breaks for even loving Christmas. Some of the best TV ever. And this was 9 brutal months a year. Ahh, the good old days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Twilight_Zone_episodes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not too disappointed, because if my TV Calendar is right - the next episode is the last of the season anyway :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are two left, actually.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

There are two left, actually.

should have done a double feature then :colbert:

reeally, really bummed that this wasn't a new-ep week. lovely family trauma and everything, man. Only alcohol and irreverent cartoons are the answer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really should stop relying on that drat thing. Good news at least!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I saw 40 posts in the thread and thought there must have been an episode after all :emo:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Look at the airdates of the original Twilight Zone episodes: one a week, every week. No breaks for even loving Christmas. Some of the best TV ever. And this was 9 brutal months a year. Ahh, the good old days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Twilight_Zone_episodes

Well that's because Rod Serling and his wife used to have weird sex games that would become the premises for Twilight Zone episodes. e.g. "What if you woke up and I had a pig face" "Oh I'd cum buckets"

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Alan Smithee posted:

Those teeth are terrifying

Yeah I thought fabric paint would be a good idea, it probably wasn't. Easier than cutting and gluing felt, but shortcuts aren't always a good idea

Working on a couple of the day-old Meeseeks too. You think this one is frightening? HAH

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Planet Piss posted:

Yeah I thought fabric paint would be a good idea, it probably wasn't. Easier than cutting and gluing felt, but shortcuts aren't always a good idea

Working on a couple of the day-old Meeseeks too. You think this one is frightening? HAH

It would be fascinating to see one done with taxidermy teeth like the fuggler dolls. Fascinating, but creepy.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I've been rewatching old episode and I finally noticed that in the opening sequence when the saucer is being chased by Cthulhu, Summer turns around and she's holding a baby Cthulhu.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I hope you guys are ready for season 2, Its gearing up soon, And this year I will be returning as a :siren: Prop Designer :siren:

A Prop for you non production people is a object that a character interacts with, So all the spaceships, spoons, gadgets, vehicles you see in season 2 will be draw by me! hopefully. Unless the art director wants to do it himself.

Oh also you better watch Community this Thursday, for the GI JOE episode. Me and my Goon girlfriend animated and designed on it. we also lost a lot of sleep over it. But I wont go into that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typical posted:

I hope you guys are ready for season 2, Its gearing up soon, And this year I will be returning as a :siren: Prop Designer :siren:

A Prop for you non production people is a object that a character interacts with, So all the spaceships, spoons, gadgets, vehicles you see in season 2 will be draw by me! hopefully. Unless the art director wants to do it himself.

Oh also you better watch Community this Thursday, for the GI JOE episode. Me and my Goon girlfriend animated and designed on it. we also lost a lot of sleep over it. But I wont go into that.

Congrats!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Typical posted:

Congratulations, and thanks for the terminology explanation; I had not known about that. :tipshat:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Typical posted:

C/D: Rob Schrab is an rear end in a top hat and beats his wife.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Typical posted:

Just curious... Do you work for Turner as an employee or is it contract work or what?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Typical posted:

Wow, you are a cool person! I never thought that those little things are designed by someone whose job is to design specifically props.
Are you allowed to add pop-culture references or whatever that weren't in the script? How much freedom do you generally have designing props?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Congratulations Typical! You sure have a dream job. Better make sure this news isn't a low power simulation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Typical posted:

Me and my Goon girlfriend animated and designed on it. we also lost a lot of sleep over it. But I wont go into that.

Ah animation, so brilliant until you realise just quite how many almost identical drawings you have to do.

But yeah as others said congrats on the crazily brilliant job.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As it turns out, my dad likes this show too. So now we have this and Venture Bros :toot:.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Congrats, it's always great to know people here are working on the stuff we really like.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Typical posted:

Follow up: will schrab ever be nice or is he always mean? Does he eat his own poop and/or drink his pee

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Typical posted:

I'm going to send you random props to put in the show. :D

Sneak them in, so we can get some goon influence on this show.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You may regret what you wish for. Congrats though, sweet job.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

C/D: Rob Schrab is an rear end in a top hat and beats his wife.

Occupation posted:

Follow up: will schrab ever be nice or is he always mean? Does he eat his own poop and/or drink his pee

Rob Schrab is NOT an rear end in a top hat, He is amazing, and super friendly, smart and good at drawing. But this project really stressed him out because Dan wrote the script late and we had to animate the thing in 2 months (normally an episode takes 6 months) so yeah, he worked like 17 hour shifts for 4 weeks.

Dan wanted to mock him for his tweets so he had the guy who sings the GI joe song sing a special "Rob rear end in a top hat version" Then he comes waddling into the office and says, "Rob I need you to approve this", and plays the "Rob rear end in a top hat is there" song from his phone while the whole office laughed. meanwhile rob just sitting there grimacing and doing his best to not acknowledge what Dan has done. He's kind of a "Really guys? whyyyyy are you doing this to meeeeeee????? Come on Guys!!!!" sort of reaction.

thathonkey posted:

Just curious... Do you work for Turner as an employee or is it contract work or what?

I work for the production Company Starburns. They are the design Company, they made, Morel Orel, FrankenHole, The puppet animation community episode and others. When you work for a production company, you work as long as it takes to make the season, usually 6 months or so, then, I guess you have to find other work or wait it out till the next season.

Paladinus posted:

Wow, you are a cool person! I never thought that those little things are designed by someone whose job is to design specifically props.
Are you allowed to add pop-culture references or whatever that weren't in the script? How much freedom do you generally have designing props?

Thanks, I worked very hard to get into this thing, and be qualified to do this kind of stuff. I had to take a test where you draw space ships from various angles, cars and explosions. It was one of the most difficult tests I've ever taken, but I was well prepared for it from doing prop design on two other shows. The designs are very specific, and they allready know ahead of time if it is supposed to refrence something specific from pop culture. and if you try to do anything to much different than what the script calls for. It will make the show feel weird. Your trying to draw a thing that will enhance the script the best and make sense to the viewer. Some times you can put in your own stuff, but a lot of times it isn't worth it. The only time I ever really tried to add my own flare was when I colored a computer interface that was obviously designed to be OSX, but I did it like a windows 2000 theme. Which I thought was really funny. And it made it into the episode.

dr_rat posted:

Ah animation, so brilliant until you realise just quite how many almost identical drawings you have to do.

But yeah as others said congrats on the crazily brilliant job.

Yes, you do have to redraw the thing a lot. but Rick and Morty is half tweening. so a lot of it is just puppeted around really well to fool you into thinking its done by hand. its still really good though.

CelticPredator posted:

I'm going to send you random props to put in the show. :D

It would be funny, but ideally you want to draw something that will be funny to the rest of the audience too.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That response is classic Schrab too. He did that on Harmontown when Dan was ripping on him and the whole room turned against Dan. Then Harmon kept saying, "This is what he DOES! He KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING!"

Schrab guest episodes are some of the greatest Harmontowns.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is this going to be like regular TV where the next season comes 3-6 months later, or is it more like Adventure Time which I don't think has gone on hiatus for longer than a month in the last couple of years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Typical posted:

It would be funny, but ideally you want to draw something that will be funny to the rest of the audience too.

Oh, of course!

• Locked thread