Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

alcharagia posted:

Bench Dantares, stick in Hagane.

I'm never going to stop trying.

You arn't going to get Dantares out of the party until the last fight, or maybe for some level grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Stanfield posted:

Ninjas in Shining Force games are always so disappointing. Ruburan and Hanzou in the GBA remake are the good ones, to the point of being broken. Not Slade though, Slade sucks and is bad.

Well that's a fascinating opinion. I'm very curious, why does he "suck"? (Considering how he seems to actually be one of the best units...)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Serifina posted:

Well that's a fascinating opinion. I'm very curious, why does he "suck"? (Considering how he seems to actually be one of the best units...)

I would assume that the difficulty in raising him to a useable level (THIF Slade is terrible) combined with the fact that he dies if an enemy so much as looks at him offsets his huge attack stat.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
He doesn't really suck, but I do think he's more of a filler for 11th/12th spot rather than one of the best units. Maybe he just doesn't suit my style of play, but I find him really mediocre starting around North Parmecia.

He has below average attack for a front line guy, and poo poo defense and HP. His high movement is useless because he can't take more than one hit from anything short of mages (and in Super he gets one-shotted by a lot of things), so sending him out ahead will just get him killed and he doesn't have enough MP to reliably do damage from range. You could keep him back and just use him to finish guys off but that could be done by anyone, not to mention it'd make the Gisarme's ability irrelevant.

I guess I've just never been in a position where I was glad I picked Slade over another warrior/centaur/whatever, It's mostly just "Oh great, Slade just died to the third enemy we've faced. Now I have to spend the next battle feeding him kills so he doesn't fall behind, again :geno:".

Then again I like using Janet so the gently caress do I know :v:.

EDIT:

KataraniSword posted:

I would assume that the difficulty in raising him to a useable level (THIF Slade is terrible) combined with the fact that he dies if an enemy so much as looks at him offsets his huge attack stat.

His attack isn't huge is the problem though. If he could hit like Peter/Gerhalt/Claude it'd at least be something to consider, but he's on the same level - if not worse - as Jaha and Lemon, who are both much tankier as well.

Taffy Torpedo fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 8, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The only thing disapointing about Slade's damage numbers is that seeing them means the Gisarme didn't proc. :downs:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Yeah, Slade is proven to have the third highest attack after Peter and Gerhalt, so I don't know what you're talking about. :confused:

Also, Janet gets you cool points, but she's really just a stopping point for the mid-game until May actually become useful.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Bench Horst

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
You must of gotten some really weird growth with Slade in your playthroughs. He has always been the best glass cannon for me and his attack has been on par or surprising Peter. That being said he tends to find his way to my bench somehow or another. I'm actually in the midst of another play through of 2 right now and am determined to use some characters I never used to much like Claude, Zync, and I tried Elcrik and Janet but ugh.

In my own :blush: line up for 2, I ALWAYS tossed May to the wayside. Peter and early promotion Kiwi just never left anything for her and she always fell behind.

Bench Danteres! Ratchet is still the second best archer you have.

vv I haven't messed with the editor, but does it factor weapon into its calculations? also how do you never take karna? I mean you can't go wrong with anyone at creeds as they typically are the best of whatever class but I'm usually desperate for a second healer by then.

Losem fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

inthesto posted:

Yeah, Slade is proven to have the third highest attack after Peter and Gerhalt, so I don't know what you're talking about. :confused:

Really? Going off the SF2 editor he averages out to about 8th or 9th, which is in line with the playthroughs I've used him in, where he's had around the same attack as Bowie and Jaha. Unless his growth is late because I usually dump him 2/3 of the way through the game.

Still though, to be able to use his attack he has to be alive, and being alive isn't exactly something Slade's good at.

But if we're on the subject of weird things we do in SF2, I almost never pick Karna or Tyrin at Creed's.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Stanfield posted:

Really? Going off the SF2 editor he averages out to about 8th or 9th, which is in line with the playthroughs I've used him in, where he's had around the same attack as Bowie and Jaha. Unless his growth is late because I usually dump him 2/3 of the way through the game.

Still though, to be able to use his attack he has to be alive, and being alive isn't exactly something Slade's good at.

But if we're on the subject of weird things we do in SF2, I almost never pick Karna or Tyrin at Creed's.

Why yes, Slade does have a sudden late game boost to his attack.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Add that to Gisarme's instant death ability, and Slade is definitely one of the best party members - even if you do have to carry him through his thief levels.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Serifina posted:

Add that to Gisarme's instant death ability, and Slade is definitely one of the best party members - even if you do have to carry him through his thief levels.

Don't forget his magic which has higher base values than the wizard equivalents (no it doesn't ignore resistances).

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but going by that chart and the SF2 editor Slade ends the game with Attack in the low 50s, with the +42 from the Gisarme puts him around ~95. That's less than Bowie and Jaha, who are pushing ~100 with the Force Sword/Rune Axe respectively, and about equal with Lemon and Eric, all of whom can take a hit or two.

For me the instant death and Magic are the things stopping him from being on the same level as someone like Chester. I don't even mind him when he's a thief. He doesn't take up anyone else's spot and he's not as bad to babysit as Kiwi. It's everything between Creed's and - at best - getting mithril weapons that I have a hard time with. It kind of goes back to my point about Slade being a filler member; I use him when I've already got 11 guys and I need one more front-line unit and just think "gently caress it, Slade'll do".

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Yeah that's not right at level 17 promoted Slade is already at 80 with the great sword in the play through I'm doing right now. I honestly expect this to finish it around level 25 or so and he has plenty of room to grow.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Losem posted:

Yeah that's not right at level 17 promoted Slade is already at 80 with the great sword in the play through I'm doing right now. I honestly expect this to finish it around level 25 or so and he has plenty of room to grow.

I think all of it revolves around, most importantly, keeping Slade alive. If he bites it early-on in a battle, or if he sits a single battle out, he won't keep competitive with experience, and if he doesn't keep competitive with experience, he'll fall behind on the levels he needs which makes it far harder for him to keep up. He's a very momentum-based character, unlike Peter and Lemon, who start out great and can easily catch up if they lag behind.

Basically, he's got all of Gerhalt's problems, but more extreme since he has equipment he has to manage.

Contrast Ruburan, who is Peter-tier and a ranged attacker to boot, and Hanzou, who has to have enough stats to be decent with only four battles left after his recruitment in the Genesis version, or who has similar stats but a recruitment point (and levelling opportunities) two chapters earlier in the GBA version.

EDIT:

Stanfield posted:

Eric is easily the best non-archery centaur (May is such a late bloomer that you could arguably call him the best centaur period) and Randolf is a perfectly usable choice if Jaha's falling behind. It's just that two physical attackers tend to pale in comparison to a healer that can grind levels with Boost, and the game's requisite Bolt-Barfer; especially the latter since Kazin is so much better off as a Sorceror than a Wizard.

Basically, there is no technically wrong choice to make at Creed's, though I'd think twice about picking Randolf if your Jaha is doing well; Gladiators are notably worse than Barons in most circumstances, and you can only get one Baron before Lemon.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 8, 2014

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Maybe I'm just weird or lucky, but I never had a problem with keeping Slade alive past, basically, the hobgoblin cave. I've even used him as a bottleneck point/leash attractor without any issue. It's just getting that far that's frustrating - the first couple of battles while he catches up in level are a pain in the rear end.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

KataraniSword posted:

I think all of it revolves around, most importantly, keeping Slade alive. If he bites it early-on in a battle, or if he sits a single battle out, he won't keep competitive with experience, and if he doesn't keep competitive with experience, he'll fall behind on the levels he needs which makes it far harder for him to keep up. He's a very momentum-based character, unlike Peter and Lemon, who start out great and can easily catch up if they lag behind.

I actually dropped him for a few battles. Basically the battle from when you get Jaro to the Lemon fight and he caught right back up and even surpassed a few. Momentum for him is a lot easier for the player to control versus say Jaha. Slade has the agility to go first and the movement to keep up or jump in with the centaurs. Once promoted I never really had trouble with him lagging behind unlike before he was promoted like Luke for instance. At least you get a good birdman in 3 with Eldar. I'm not sure how intheso is doing with her, but all the times I played 3 I'd say 75% of the time she turned out Danteres level for me and the other 25% just serviceable. Honestly between Eldar and Irene Danteres didn't really stand out to much for me. Yeah he was a killing machine, but Irene with the white ring and Eldar with maxed wings were just as effective.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Losem posted:

At least you get a good birdman in 3 with Eldar. I'm not sure how intheso is doing with her, but all the times I played 3 I'd say 75% of the time she turned out Danteres level for me and the other 25% just serviceable.

From what I can make out from the LP, she's no Kiddo or Sword of Hajya Claude, but she's certainly no Balbaroy or Skreech, either. A very adequate middle-of-the-road "competent unit that becomes great because flight is a tremendous boon in Shining Force". I don't know if she's Dantares level, but she's definitely Obright level.

(Even Dantares is coming off a little short; this LP so far seems to be the Noon/Masqurin Power Hour.)

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Eric is easily the best non-archery centaur (May is such a late bloomer that you could arguably call him the best centaur period) and Randolf is a perfectly usable choice if Jaha's falling behind. It's just that two physical attackers tend to pale in comparison to a healer that can grind levels with Boost, and the game's requisite Bolt-Barfer; especially the latter since Kazin is so much better off as a Sorceror than a Wizard.

Basically, there is no technically wrong choice to make at Creed's, though I'd think twice about picking Randolf if your Jaha is doing well; Gladiators are notably worse than Barons in most circumstances, and you can only get one Baron before Lemon.

Yeah, I don't take Karna because I find boost-leveling incredibly boring, so I might as well just use Frayja, who gets Aura 3 and 4 early enough that you don't really have to powerlevel outside of just healing every turn.

Tyrin's more just a timing thing. The battles right after Creed's are some of my least favourite in the game, and Eric and Randolf both just smash through them, catching up with the rest so fast that they pretty much have a 4 level advantage the whole time, whereas Tyrin spends most of them trudging along with Freeze 2, dreaming of when he learns Bolt and can actually start doing damage.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
The number of centaurs in this game pleases me. :)

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Yeah, let's drop Horst.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

(Even Dantares is coming off a little short; this LP so far seems to be the Noon/Masqurin Power Hour.)

In my run right now, that's pretty much it too. Once those two are soulmates, everything is dying to big damage from even level 1 Blaze/Freeze. Dantares is pretty lacking right now, and I think Cybel is currently stronger.

I'm currently at the levelling dungeon right now, wanting to get all my characters up to at least level 17. Getting Penn up to promoted was actually a lot easier than I remembered. Mainly because I stuck the Elbesem Orb on him and had Muramasa and Irene block off and use Blaze/Tornado level 1 on one of the skeletons to leave it with less that 7hp and then have Penn finish them off for the experience. Then they repeated the process when the new one spawned. It's so much easier than using Penn's attack and hoping for a critical. Also, I had no deaths until the drat Skull Mage used Soul Steal level 2 on me and took out Horst. Why couldn't you use Tiamat on the last turn like you did every other turn, you bastard?

Also, bench Ratchet.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 27 :words:

Hey everybody, it's time I finally got bored of clubbing people in the dome in Dark Souls 2 PVP updated this LP. Short one today, since this section is ridiculously wordy and the next fight is a real slog.

Take a look at the view from the observation decks. It helps to clear the mind to see everything going on below.

Here we get to walk around Lookover Tower and look out from a bunch of telescopes. It's mandatory to do all this in order to progress the plot.

On a clear day, you should be able to see the continental pathway in the middle of the ocean to the south of us. A little over twenty years ago, all the citizens of the Republic came here using that pathway.

To the west, you can see the valley that divides Aspinia and Barrand. Looking at the beautiful landscape, it's hand to imagine Barrand is now a war-torn country that's at the very center of this war.

That snowy mountain visible to the north is where Bulzome palace lies. That's where Bulzome would awaken, were that allowed to pass. A natural assumption would be that the sect is heading there.

Every time I look that way, I wonder what lies beyond. Someday I'd like to take a ship and find out.

However, with more activity in the evil sect's army, the gem glows brighter. It seems to be an indicator of the dark power of Bulzome.

That's enough to progress the story, but one thing first.

Not that we're going to use it, but it could come in handy way down the line.

Lord Conrad, King Benetram and I had a mutual agreement. If one of us were to go down before our goal was achieved, the remaining two would resume, and instruct another person to continue in the place of the fallen. With Conrad's passing, that person is Synbios.

The way this is worded implies that Benetram and Palsis have their own successors lined up in case of their deaths. Makes you wonder who they are.

Do the Vandals have something to do with "your goal"? King Benetram always seemed absorbed in learning about Bulzome.

Researchers at Flagard were studying the legends of the Thousand Year Kingdom and the excavation of the ancient ruins. Is it all related to the revival of Bulzome?

I'm not seeing how this fits together with the war.

To prevent this continent from falling under the rule of the Vandal, you must take over your father's work. I offer whatever help I can give to aid you in this task.

So what should we do now?

Attack the Bulzome Sect directly and stop the revival of Bulzome. It would be nice if it were that simple, but there's so much to do.

And we're back into stupid “do unrelated thing because reasons” JRPG territory. At least this scenario managed to stave it off for the majority of the game.

What is that thing you mentioned earlier that was headed south? The Walcuray?

The Walcuray is a flying weapon used in ancient times by the Vandals.

Vandals again! What's their role in this war?

As you know, this war between the Empire and the Republic began because of the treachery of Bulzome's followers. They also seem to be involved in various rebellious movements within each government.

Not just the peace conference, either. The Bulzome Sect was also involved in our clashes with the Baersol army and General Fafhard.

Why in the world would the Bulzome Sect do such thing?

Um, maybe it has to do with that giant glowing crystal we looked at not ten minutes ago.

This is still just my own speculation, but dark human emotions like terrror, hate, and despair seem to feed the Vandal. Take a look at that.

So the Bulzome Sect is creating tragedy, through the chaos of war, in order to bring about the revival of Bulzome?

So to stop Bulzome, we have to...

In order to stop the revival of Bulzome, we must prevent his power from increasing any further. To do so, we must first put a stop to all the warfare within the nation. Let us visit Tristus of Malorie. He is very well respected in Aspia. He can put an end to the internal quarrels.

That's good thinking, Duke Palsis. Lord Tristus is the brother-in-law of Lord Synbios. It should be easy to ask this favor of him.

He says that like saying “Hey, can you end this war that's destroying our economy?” is a favor. :downs:

That's right! Everyone, time is critical! We must leave for Malorie immediately!

Almost immediately.

NEXT TIME: Laser Eye Mk 3

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is there, like, a second promotion layer in this game? It seems like you're going to be level huge by the time you get done dealing with this.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Glazius posted:

So is there, like, a second promotion layer in this game? It seems like you're going to be level huge by the time you get done dealing with this.

Yes, but not till Scenario 3.

Of course, empowering people now causes issues of it's own at various points.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 28: Why do we have to do this again, Camelot?

Now that Palsis is following us around, he takes Dantares' place as our adviser. Things are probably better off this way.

Also, Ratchet lost the vote by a margin of one! We're not really missing anything, since I kept losing all his supports. Oh well.

Out the back of the last map, where those monks spawned, is where we need to go next.

I'd love to spend more time touring this marvel but unfortunately there is no time for that now.

Now that we have saved Duke Palsis, do you think the Bulzome Sect will try again? Or would they... Do you think...

The cult wants the Republic destroyed. I believe their next target must be Lord Tristus of Malorie. Although it has its dangers, the Great Wall will take us to Malorie. We must move quickly.

The corridor is so long and narrow. It would be the ideal landscape for our enemies to lie in wait for an ambush.

Well, thanks for jinxing it, Dantares.

This is a pretty drat long map with a lot of chumps on it. There's no new enemies here, just a ton of monks. A ton of them.

There's really not much to do except move forward and clear out the lizardmen who are initially blocking our way. Once we move past the lizardmen, something happens though:

A familiar voice... Wait, that's Murasame. Fear not, he's on our side, Synbios. Explain in detail, Murasame. Where is the enemy hiding?

Oh gently caress no.

The giant golem establishes superiority by hucking a giant boulder down the corridor. I think we know where this is going.

Sneaky bastards. So there's the giant golem. Synbios, work with Murasame and bring it down!

We now get Murasame as a guest character on our side. He's slightly better than Hagane. We can't control him, but that's fine as he's not too useful anyway. However, we do have to deal with the golem now, who's more of an environmental hazard than a real enemy.

Another mithril for the stockpile.

The golem runs on a pretty simple schedule. It will use tremor two turns in a row, which hits every character within two squares of it for some amount of physical damage.

On the third turn, it uses rockfall. This deals about 20 magic damage to everything in a three-row wide line, which covers most of the corridor we have to hike down. Not enough to kill anyone outright, but
will kill most people if I don't heal between them.

That's right, Camelot dropped another Laser Eye fight on us.

The smart thing to do is just load everyone up with a healing drop, as that covers the damage and you can easily reach the golem and kill it within two rockfalls. I'm not that smart, however.

The rank 1 critical for katanas is a giant flying suplex that has a chance to confuse the enemy. As always, confusion is a useless status effect on enemies.

Once the golem spawns, masked monks begin to spawn behind us. I don't know if it's infinite or not, but it sure was tempting to find out by ranking up Masqurin and Noon's support.

As a result, we're gonna just sit around the corner here for a bit, safe from the golem's rockfall while the stupid monks get killed by it. This isn't Resurrection of the Dark Dragon, so there's zero impetus for me to rush things. Especially when my emulator has a fast forward button.

Stuff we're not going to use because Julian is gone.

I accidentally leave Horst one square out too far. One amusing thing about rockfall is that it flattens the model which never actually resizes during the animation.

Once the first wave of enemies has been stamped out by rockfall, it's time to charge forward. I'm going to eat at least one rockfall and not all my characters have healing items, but Grace has Aura so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Inevitably, this happens.

More people than this get hit, but this is decent evidence that rockfall is magic damage. Which element, though, I have no idea.

Centaurs look funny when they're squashed.

And one of the mages finished off Dantares before I get a chance to heal him. I'd be upset about this, except knight supports suck anyway. The only real loss is his support with Synbios being downgraded, so he loses all of 2 points of attack when they're together. Oh no.

Grace fixes everything with a single spell. :toot:

The golem's stats. He's quite the upgrade from Fiale, but it's really his slew of multitarget attacks that are worrying. Fortunately, the golem is huge and occupies three separate spaces.

If Synbios targets the golem, it doesn't quite reach that monk off to the side, but it does work the other way around. It's weird, because spells can only target the golem's center, whereas normal attacks can his any space occupied by the golem. Don't ask me.

Hah, that's barely anything! He'll rockfall next turn, but without any support, nobody's going to die by the time we rip apart his pool of 180 HP.

Even Synbios, after eating a tremor and a rockfall, has enough HP to withstand another tremor.

Due to the golem's sheer size, you can line up five melee characters to wail on him. That's to say nothing of archers and mages. Speaking of, I left Masqurin and Noon behind to farm those monks. I didn't want to risk losing their support to a badly time rockfall, and the monks are so non-threatening, it's free support points for them anyway.

Getting a lot of criticals beats down the golem in no time.

And Synbios finishes the fight in style. Not a hard fight – in fact, incredibly easy if you just load up on healing drops – but one that requires patience.

You went searching for Bulzome, but you've returned. Something must have happened.

The other day, I... to my eternal shame, I erred and was captured by the Bulzome Sect. I... I tried to hold out, but their magic... they forced me to tell them about all our plans!

No wonder they seemed a step ahead of us! Blast that infernal cult!

I returned despite my shame because I have important information for you. The Walcuray, as you know, is a large flying weapon controlled by Bulzome. But it seems that's not the only weapon in his arsenal.

Something other than the Walcuray? A gigantic flying weapon isn't enough?

It is controlled in the same fashion as the Walcuray, but is much more deadly. It is a gigantic and powerful weapon that they intend to use against the Republic soon.

More deadly than the Walcuray? Where is this weapon, Murasame?

I am sorry, but I do not know. I believe they're still digging it out of its resting place, but more time is needed.

I see. Understood, Murasame. Then the sooner we advance on them, the better our chances. They must be setting more traps ahead to delay us further. Let's hurry on, but beware, Synbios.

NEXT TIME: Wait, that wasn't the end of the chapter?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Walcuray? Walcuray?

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Loving the LP, Shining Force 2 was the first RPG I ever played, so I've always held a soft spot for the series, in spite of its obvious flaws. I was sad when the US never got the full release of Shining Force 3 back in the day, so it was awesome to finally be able to play it with the translation patch a few years back. It was great and definitely a needed step up for the series, although it starts to wear down as the scenarios advance. You're doing a great job breaking it down, keep up the good work.

Glazius posted:

We're not actually that far from the finish line for scenario 1.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

alcharagia posted:

Walcuray? Walcuray?

After saying it out loud to myself a few times, it now dawns on me that the localization team was desperately trying to avoid using the obvious name "Valkyrie". At least they did an okay job of dodging the awkward as gently caress names "Dauntless", "Chivalry", and "Justice".

bluh posted:

Loving the LP, Shining Force 2 was the first RPG I ever played, so I've always held a soft spot for the series, in spite of its obvious flaws. I was sad when the US never got the full release of Shining Force 3 back in the day, so it was awesome to finally be able to play it with the translation patch a few years back. It was great and definitely a needed step up for the series, although it starts to wear down as the scenarios advance. You're doing a great job breaking it down, keep up the good work.

We're not actually that far from the finish line for scenario 1.

Shining Force 2 was also my first RPG, and I've played through it so many times that I LPed a romhack and dissected the game pretty thoroughly in the process. :D

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inthesto posted:

After saying it out loud to myself a few times, it now dawns on me that the localization team was desperately trying to avoid using the obvious name "Valkyrie".

Which is weird, since, as you said, it's an obvious choice. You've got a giant death airship, you name that fucker something like Valkyrie. It's just how these things go. :black101:

It's less sensible to name your child "Dauntless". Unless you're Frank Zappa.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

You should really go back and talk to the citizens of the previous town, some of them talk about why the Republic is falling apart.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ardeem posted:

You should really go back and talk to the citizens of the previous town, some of them talk about why the Republic is falling apart.

I decided to go back and look. Hot drat, you're right.

MINI-UPDATE: Looks like somebody was right all along!

Most towns, if you go back to them after a fight, will have some new things to say. Lookover Village didn't have anything too interesting before the fight, but there's a bit of new stuff afterward taking down Fiale.

First off, we learn that Palsis is kind of a lovely mentor. Not too much point behind this one, but it amused me. For all the intelligent musing he does, he doesn't teach his students poo poo.

Also, before we tussled Fiale, the weapons store was closed. The merchant returns after the fight with Fiale is complete. But uh, this vein of gold thing sounds kind of interesting. Wasn't the entire republic constantly sweating about how poor the country was?

Okay, stifling commerce is a bit shady, but I'm sure Palsis doesn't want to attract too much attention to his location, since he's doing secret research and all.

Oh.

Oh.

Oh.

So this is a minor point that, as far as I know, is never touched on in the main plot, but it's worth bringing up. Turns out Palsis and Conrad weren't objectively the upstanding good guys we thought they were, just because they're on our side. Fafhard's suspicions that they were hoarding wealth for personal use were right all along. Fafhard and the Baersol army were right to revolt, as Conrad (and possibly Benetram too) were holding out on them. And Synbios, without having all the information, killed them for it.

Wow, that's kind of a downer.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
I'm guessing it was less avoiding Valkyrie in this case, and more that they didn't understand what was being written. Walküre in German means Valkyrie, and it was probably written as Walküre in the original script, and they just translated it phonetically and didn't bother figuring out what it could be.

EDIT: Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Dantares and Cybil are mistranslations too, since they're basically the exact same thing just misread slightly. Dantares is basically the exact same screw up as Walcuray.

Justin is the only one that could not have been conceivably hosed up.

Neremworld fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 31, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Neremworld posted:

I'm guessing it was less avoiding Valkyrie in this case, and more that they didn't understand what was being written. Walküre in German means Valkyrie, and it was probably written as Walküre in the original script, and they just translated it phonetically and didn't bother figuring out what it could be.

EDIT: Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Dantares and Cybil are mistranslations too, since they're basically the exact same thing just misread slightly. Dantares is basically the exact same screw up as Walcuray.

Justin is the only one that could not have been conceivably hosed up.

... You know, it's just now at this very moment that I realized his name is actually Dauntless. :aaaaa:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

inthesto posted:

At least they did an okay job of dodging the awkward as gently caress names "Dauntless", "Chivalry", and "Justice".

Ardeem posted:

... You know, it's just now at this very moment that I realized his name is actually Dauntless. :aaaaa:

Holy poo poo

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

The rank 1 critical for katanas is a giant flying suplex that has a chance to confuse the enemy. As always, confusion is a useless status effect on enemies.
Being pedantic here, but Izuna Drop is the katana rank 2 critical, and yes, confusion isn't that good. The Izuna was better in Shining the Holy Ark when it would pretty much immobilise the enemy that got hit by it.

Butterfly Dance is the katana rank 1 critical and causes sleep. A much better status effect.

Ardeem posted:

I wonder how many other people just realised this. I know I just did.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I got curious about this and had to go and look up some of the name origins and references. A guide book for the series has both the Japanese verions of the names and the words that inspired them. Synbios was inspired by symbiosis, and Masquirin was inspired by masculine. No, really, I'm telling the truth here. Masculine. Cybel's Japanese name was Sibarly, inspired by chivalry. Justin's name was Justice. Medion is inspired by medium, which is a depressingly bland name for someone who will presumably later be playable. Ratchet is Manupil, inspired by manipulator. And that's only a few of them. There's a hodge-podge of names taken from virtues and names taken from just random words.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 1, 2014

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I wonder how many other people just realised this. I know I just did.

*raises hand* Yup. :stare:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A centaur named Dauntless is actually pretty cool, in a different-people-take-different-types-of-names kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 29: How many bosses was that?

There is no doubt! A trap has been set here.

drat that Bulzome Sect! Qill they try to prevent us from going forward by more trickery?

Malorie castle might be unsafe as well.

Um... We must... remain cautious.

Duke Palsis, with your permission, I would like to enter Malorie Castle ahead of the Synbios army.

Permission granted. Gather the intelligence we need, Murasame.

If the Bulzome high priests aren't there yet, I wil never be detected. Okay then, see you in the castle!

Murasame then spins around a lot and disappears. Ninja magic. And that means no Murasame yet. You didn't think they were going to give us two ninjas in a row just like that, did you?

If we cross that plain to the southeast, we will reach Malorie, but let's go to that nearby village for rest and supplies first.

Hey, this place looks familiar! It's the same town from back in chapter 3 where we recruited Justin. The villagers say different things, the merchants sell new stuff, and most importantly, there's new items to be found.

A nice wand to throw on Masqurin! This baby comes with Phoenix, which is the fire elemental summon that Synbios' weapon also has. Since Masqurin's highest base affinity is with fire, we want this on her.

Unfortunately, she's rank 3 in staffs but rank 0 in wands. Switching weapon types not only cuts down on her attack power, but also cuts her magic bonuses. Doing this actually cuts her damage output by a lot, but she's done more than her fair share of work, and it's not like her support with Noon gets any worse. Also, the name is kind of a cute throwback.

Did I say cute? I meant fabulous.

And I regret buying it, but these things have to be done in the name of playing video games for the internet.

Yes:

:j: People were going in and out of Malorie Castle. Looks like something happened. If that Imperial ship that's supposedly in Baersol harbor is a prelude to an invasion, they're probably preparing for war.

No:

:j: I wouldn't recommend heading towards Aspia. If the Imperial army arrives in Baersol, they are bound to move north. You'll be walking into a war zone.

Interesting, it looks like the Imperial army has entered our territory by way of Baersol. Is this because the Baersol army has sided with the Imperials, or have the Imperials simply taken advantage of poor defenses during the infighting?

And it looks like an old buddy is still alive! I'm sure we'll have a reunion soon.

Some new stuff in the weapons store. An ankh for Grace so she can also cast Resist and ease the MP burden from Irene. There's also a shuriken, which is a ranged weapon for ninjas that I won't be using because it's awfully late to build weapon ranks. Finally, the merchant will offer us a deal for a mithril spear which we will also not be using, because spears really suck in this game.

With all that done, let's head out! This will be the final fight of chapter 5, meaning we're just about at the endgame.

We don't have any time to spare, Synbios.

Let's press ahead. We can't give the Bulzome sect any more of an advantage.

I know speed is critical, Synbios, but if what Murasame said is true, the enemy will be waiting for us here.

But if we sit here wringing our hands, Aspia will fall to the Imperials!

I realize that as well, Dantares. Keep everyone together, Synbios. Keep the fighters up front, and we should reach Malorie with no casualties.

The map looks extremely sparse. Naturally, together with the previous bits of dialogue, this means we're getting ambushed.

No support, no weapon bonus, and the enemy is resistant too. Yeesh, it's like I'm playing Shining Force 1 again.

But it's all okay in the end.

Eldar's gonna flap off and do her own thing, as usual. This one's actually important, though.

Whoa! Those worms are of a variety which only live in the southeast part of the Republic. They are called sting worms.

Did you say sting worms? What would sting worms be doing here, so far from home?

They've been brought up here to kill us.

This must be a trap by the Bulzome sect.

Sting worm venom is potent. Be extremely careful, Synbios.

Sting worms don't travel alone. There may be other worms around here. I only hope a queen isn't among them.

Come on, Palsis! This is the last fight of the chapter. Of course there's going to be a boss here.

The stats are nothing to sneeze at.

Sting worms do hit decently hard, but...

Ouch! Now that really is some poison to be afraid of. This would be the one point in the game where the knight support, which decreases the chance of enemy criticals, would be useful. The upside is that I have a ton of antidotes lying around. The downside is that I forget that I have them.

Everything turns into a giant clusterfuck of trying to clean out the worms as quickly as possible before they can poison too many people. Since the rest of the enemies are several fights old now, they're safely ignored until I can clean them up afterwards.

Eldar is still protecting Aspinian skies.

The worms will also respawn several times. Not fun.

I cure Horst with Grace's Antidote, and he gets poisoned again immediately. :argh:

I just remembered that Noon's weapon has +8 DEF on it, in addition to the +10 DEF on his ring. I don't know why the AI still prioritizes him, but he's turning out to be more useful than I would have guessed.

So much for no casualties. While Horst's support is useful, I don't think he had any.

Hey, now that's not so bad. Worms, as usual, are weak to fire and Masqurin has support again. What a difference that makes.

The critical from Cybel's ark halberd, which is appropriately named Lightning. I have no idea if it's flat magic damage or if it scales off of the attacker's stats.

Characters will do silly things when they're confused. It's a bit weird that we got this one with Eldar, though. :gonk:

One of the rare times when I have to heal Synbios with an item. If I hadn't been so cavalier at the start, this would have gone over much more smoothly.

Eldar finishes her duel and wakes up. Good, because I need her to do this:

With a free mithril weapon and getting her third rank in wings shortly thereafter:

Hot drat, that's a jump of 12 points in ATT! She's now only five or six points behind the heaviest hitters, and actually does some drat good damage. The weapon also comes with a new critical attack and boosts her counter rate. God, I love free mithril weapons.

It's time to patch up all the damage caused by the sting worms in one turn and keep going. drat, Aura is awesome.

What do you mean, Palsis?

That queen worm is unnaturally huge. She must have been enhanced by the Bulzome sect.

They used magic to do this?

That thing must possess the strength of a dragon. We must concentrate our efforts if we hope to destroy it, Synbios.

And there's our chapter 5 boss with a few extra mooks. The thing is huge and has acid breath to lower our defenses, so no need to get cocky around it. If only we could somehow tame it and use it for ourselves.

Let's clean up these monks first.

A little bit of back and forth.

And Eldar's new weapon critical is to drop a god drat nuke on her enemy. I approve.

Hagane will help by being a support character. It actually works, which is quite nice. The real reason I included this is because when he casts this spell, Hagane says “Can you beat my ninja technique?” in an accent that can only be described as cartoonishly racist. I'll get a recording of it and throw it on here sometime. In the mean time, have a pretty decent Shining Force Medley I found on YouTube while searching “shining force 3 hagane”.

Hey, it's my LP. I'll be as off-topic as I want.

The queen worm only has MOV 4, so it can't move very far.

But the smaller sting worms do respawn. Looks like it's just a question of getting all the burst damage in before the sting worms can poison everybody.

The reason why I like Cybel better than Dantares? Because the rank 3 critical for halberds is so much cooler.

It's time to lay into these worms.

Ouch. Obviously, the follow up to this would be for a sting worm to finish off the weakened character, but I've killed the worm near Eldar, so she's in no danger for the time being.

If Shining Force 2 Challenge Mode taught me one thing, it's to dump all your summons on the boss as quickly as possible. I don't recall wasting quite so much of Noon's MP on the normal enemies, but it means I can't use Wendigo 2 on the worm. Also, no support. Oops, next time.

Still can't argue with over a quarter of its HP in one shot.

Masqurin also goes in with her own summon, albeit weaker for reasons I've already mentioned. She also gets no support due to positioning, but this will bring her one step closer to full support with Noon. The damage still isn't bad, but it could have been so much stronger.

Synbios gets in his own two cents with a critical for 39 damage. Three attacks and we've done well over half the boss's HP. And this wasn't even particularly optimized! Just imagine what we'd be doing if I had used rank 2 summons with supports. :getin:

When did Synbios get all this defense?

Continuing the quest for ultimate mage supports, but still nothing. I better get it quickly at the start of chapter 6! :argh:

Synbios finishes things and gets a support rank with Noon. Not useless, since it means stronger casts of Spark.

Finally, we've made it. Malorie is just ahead.

Is there something wrong, Duke Palsis?

I was just thinking about Murasame.

Now that you mention it, we haven't heard from him since he headed to Malorie.

This game is a bit weird with its time scale. It's hard to say how much time has passed since the beginning of the game, but this implies that one fight alone was on the scale of days, if not weeks.

I believe it's safe to say something will be waiting for us in Malorie.

Do you have any idea what it will be? Another ambush?

I don't know... I dont' know but, either way, we can't stop now. We must get to Malorie. No matter what happens, turning back is not an option. Let's go, Synbios. Lead us to Malorie!

Intent on avenging his father's death, Synbios headed to Lookover pursuing the Bulzome High Priest Fiale. At the ancient tower he caught up with Fiale, who murdered Conrad and planned to do the same to Duke Palsis. Synbios and his allies defeated Fiale and rescued Duke Palsis, who joined them. Palsis told Synbios the truth about his great father, which renewed and strengthened the young man's vow to continue his father's mission. To restore peace to the Republic, they must hurry on to Malorie, where Synbios' sister Margaret and her noble husband live. Meanwhile, the Empire moves forward with its invasion of the Republic's heartland.

NEXT TIME: More ambushes?!?!?!?

• Locked thread