Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

When was the last time they hyped a guy and had him debut on PPV, as in physically debut there? Not counting stuff like Fandango or Brock, who all showed up on TV beforehand? I mean like, Taz, where they did teases and whatnot and then the first time you saw him was on PPV.

Rocky Maivia and Vader both count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

What is the kayfabe reason for storing kendo sticks under the wrestling ring? Is there one?

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What is the kayfabe reason for storing kendo sticks under the wrestling ring? Is there one?

It's out of the way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

So wrestlers will hit each other with them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Where are you going to put them, on top of the ring?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

In case of surprise Steve Blackman return

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

The ring crew is into some weird poo poo.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Kennel posted:

Give me some huge upsets with a jobber getting a clean victory.

The only one I could think of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obwnbKlbysM

Would Cena's debut count?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blasmeister posted:

I choose to believe this is always the answer to that question.

That, or they let a homeless Sandman live under the ring.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Perdido posted:

Would Cena's debut count?

He lost so no

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Kennel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkTRCSzbIOE

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJvfpAY2co

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I imagine they use kendo sticks because you can hit smack a dude with one and it sounds / looks pretty sick even if it's gimmicked. Safer than a chair, right?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EugeneJ posted:

Heyman was lead booker of Smackdown in 2002-2003 and it was AWESOME.

His genius in ECW was taking a bunch of scrubs and making them into stars by hiding their weaknesses. But when he was given actual talent to work with in WWE like Edge, Eddie, Rey Rey and Benoit - holy poo poo, what a fun product.

The trouble with Paul is that he can never seem to stick his landings. He's great at building stuff up, but even with the Smackdown Six the stuff fans were paying for on PPV wasn't any better than what they got on free TV every week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MisterGBH posted:

Does Stone Cold have any heat with Dusty Rhodes?

He frequently talks about Dusty as one of his favorite people, mentions going hunting with him, and has had him on his show where he seemed to spend most of it going :allears:

Lotus Brony
Feb 21, 2012

by Cowcaster

Luigi Thirty posted:

Where are you going to put them, on top of the ring?

On a pole. Duuuh! Everyone know you put odd things on poles: turkeys, gloves...even your mom! Well, not YOUR mom, but a wrestleman's mom.

Speaking of which, has there ever been a stable consisting of a whole family, moms and daughters included? Only one that SORTA comes close that I can think of are the Macmahons, and Linda doesn't seem to be too involved in the wrestling aspect, more financial stuff.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

He frequently talks about Dusty as one of his favorite people, mentions going hunting with him, and has had him on his show where he seemed to spend most of it going :allears:

It makes sense, if Stone Cold's account on his podcast is correct, one of his first memories of wrestling was from when he was like 8 or something, flipping over to see Dusty busted open and asking his mother why the security guard near the ring wasn't helping him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Better to keep dangerous weapons under the ring than in a desk drawer or beneath a mattress, where a kid could find it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I could somehow understand keeping a spare chair, table or ladder. I just didn't know whether there was a kayfabe-specific reason for kendo sticks to exist within a wrestling arena when the Singapore caning thing happened over two decades ago.

However, I do like the idea of them being Blackman-traps.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Those bamboo sticks are there in case they need to build the Punjabi Prison that night.

e: I forgot they did a kendo stick match one time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQfuL6ShHAw&t=3825s
1:03:45 - It starts awkwardly. It may have been edited on UK Raw

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 1, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Shima Honnou posted:

It makes sense, if Stone Cold's account on his podcast is correct, one of his first memories of wrestling was from when he was like 8 or something, flipping over to see Dusty busted open and asking his mother why the security guard near the ring wasn't helping him.

Is it wrong that when I try and picture Stone Cold at eight years old, he still has the trunks, vest and beer?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Blasmeister posted:

Don't tease me like that.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Did WCW offer Mean Gene a lot of money to join them, or was WWF simply not interested in retaining him?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Jerusalem posted:

Oh right. I always assumed that Austin wasn't fond of him due to the way he was booked in WC. I know most posters listen to his podcast but as of yet havent listened to any episodes yet and dont know where to start.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

ZDar Fan posted:

Did WCW offer Mean Gene a lot of money to join them, or was WWF simply not interested in retaining him?

All of the announcers afaik jumped ship because Vince couldn't afford them anymore and WCW was offering a bunch more money.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MisterGBH posted:

Oh right. I always assumed that Austin wasn't fond of him due to the way he was booked in WC. I know most posters listen to his podcast but as of yet havent listened to any episodes yet and dont know where to start.

I think Austin blames Hulk Hogan for that more than Dusty.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ZDar Fan posted:

They couldn't afford him anymore. Vince was having bad financial problems. He said they never offered him a contract but that he didn't try to negotiate one either. Heenan left around the same time because of his health problems and they offered him a ton of money (and Turner health insurance!) to come to WCW, I don't know how much WCW offered Mean Gene.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 1, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MisterGBH posted:

Start at the beginning. The first bunch of episodes are basically just Stone Cold goofing around, sometimes with a guest, until he starts getting guests more regularly after his Mexico trip.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Kennel posted:

The Rock vs The Hurricane owned. The Rock was on fire at this point in time heading into Wrestlemania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztwfe5vgPgQ

Full Match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQs1VD6eYN8

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ZDar Fan posted:

He was offered a ton of money guaranteed and a nice cut of his hotline revenue which led to him just making poo poo up all the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Did Hogan get a cut of his hotline when it was the #1 1-900 number in America in the early 90s?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

He was offered a ton of money guaranteed and a nice cut of his hotline revenue which led to him just making poo poo up all the time.

The guys at the roundtables seem to give him a lot of poo poo about that hotline, and every once in a while I hear a reference in the WCW thread to Gene saying something really awful on the hotline.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want to see this Heyman era of Smackdown. When exactly did it start? Hopefully the Network puts it up

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The guys at the roundtables seem to give him a lot of poo poo about that hotline, and every once in a while I hear a reference in the WCW thread to Gene saying something really awful on the hotline.

The one I've heard is Mean Gene saying a former world champion has passed away and call the hotline for details. The hotline message was him rambling for 10 minutes, then saying Jerry Blackwell, AWA world tag champion in like 1979 died.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did Hogan get a cut of his hotline when it was the #1 1-900 number in America in the early 90s?

Th way WCW was going he probably got paid 150% of the hotline gross.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Start at the beginning. The first bunch of episodes are basically just Stone Cold goofing around, sometimes with a guest, until he starts getting guests more regularly after his Mexico trip.

Just any of them where he's telling stories is great. His latest episode he talks about almost dying from the exhaust fumes from the monster truck segment among an hour of stories and answering emails.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Anyone remember how in the original Fandango teasers his name was spelled "Fandangoo"?

Fandangoo

Fan-dan-gew

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MisterGBH posted:

Pick an episode where Stone Cold talks to someone you think sounds interesting and listen to it. There's not a lot of backstory you need to know or anything. If you like it, listen to another one. And keep going.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Anyone know anywhere in Northern Ireland that's screening Wrestlemania, or where I might be able to search myself? Not sure where to look for something like that but there's gotta be somewhere.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The one I've heard is Mean Gene saying a former world champion has passed away and call the hotline for details. The hotline message was him rambling for 10 minutes, then saying Jerry Blackwell, AWA world tag champion in like 1979 died.

Cameal posted:

What was probably the most infamous story in regards to the hotline is when Gene teases a story about a 45 year old former world champion having died (the implication being it was Ric Flair) only for it to be Jerry Blackwell, former AWA tag champion. I believe that particular hotline was the biggest money-drawing one they ever did.

Funnily enough, the money the 900 number brought in caused WCW to temporarily rethink how valuable Flair really was to them (it didn't last).
That's the carniest thing I've ever heard about Okerlund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

I really want to see this Heyman era of Smackdown. When exactly did it start? Hopefully the Network puts it up

I would say around late 2002 or early 2003.