Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This not pissing me off: My company has moved me to a WFM project headed up by our lead PM (the owner's son) for our largest account, I've been creating/executing the test plan, assisting with T2 issues, and other misc things that pop up such as bringing up issues that aren't a part of our testing (features that already were handled in previous project, but randomly have broken etc). This has been a huge boost to my morale, I felt (rightfully so) that my 'drive' and technical ability was being underutilized as a T1 call center agent, and I've been rewarded! They dumped me into the project to take over for my brother, who was the test lead. The last month has been hectic as loving poo poo because I got dumped into this work about 2 weeks before our first go-live (we're rolling out over 2300+ remote locations and should be done by the end of december) and it's been crazy getting up to speed with everything, scope of project etc. Finally, today, is my first day where I'm not feeling very overwhelmed and have a good grip on the project, what work I can/should do, how to do it quickly etc etc.

things kind of pissing me off: The PM I'm under, while extremely intelligent, with lots of experience and generally a good head on his shoulders, can be a bit spastic. He will tell me to do something because it's on his mind, but doesn't really care about it actually getting done. Not a big deal, I've kind of figured out how to prioritize stuff now that I've been here a little. Then, on big things I know he Wants Done, he won't give me specifics of how he wants it done, so I'll take a guess because he's got a ton of crap going on so I can never catch him for 5-10minutes of "show me how you want this done once and I'll do it like that forever" session, and he won't respond to my email requests asking for clarification. Basically I'll do Thing however, then when I turn it up to him, we'll sit for an hour, while he looks it over and then he will just re-do the thing how he wants it.

tl;dr new position, no more t1 call-center crap (hopefully forever), with minor annoyances like a PM with ADHD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Ynglaur posted:

Why is he obligated to drop whatever it is he's doing to answer somebody he may or may not even know? Voicemail is there for a reason. Calling is asynchronous communication; once you pickup it becomes synchronous, which is disruptive.
Not answering the phone is fine, but people who can sit next to a phone which is beeping once per minute to tell them they have voicemail, without ever turning it down, are either horrible or amazing people. That sound drives me up the wall, I don't know how you sit next to it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not answering the phone is fine, but people who can sit next to a phone which is beeping once per minute to tell them they have voicemail, without ever turning it down, are either horrible or amazing people. That sound drives me up the wall, I don't know how you sit next to it.

Hearing the drat thing ring 8 times is annoying too. Turn the volume down to be considerate of your cube mates.

But what bugs me even more, is 6-7 times a day his desk phone plays some recorded message, on speaker phone: "You have reached Jane Doe. Please leave me a brief message at the tone. BOOOP!"

The guy who does our phones has no clue why it does it and can't get it to quit. I told him I'd buy him a pizza if he makes it stop.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The company I work for is full of these. I'm located in a building with a few offices and the lunch room. Lunch room is on the first floor, I'm on the second.

We have a water cooler with the amazing feature of beeping every minute when its out of water because clearly a light would not be sufficient.

Anyways, the amount of times it will beep for over 10 minutes while 5-7 people are eating lunch is loving ridiculous. I end up changing the water myself because its distracting as hell. Apparently these people can deal with the noise.

Sometimes they just open the door to stop the noise, instead of replacing the water because moving a jug a few feet is far too much work, but at least then I don't have to deal with it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
One of my coworkers refuses to refuse my calls when in a meeting. He just lets it ring indefinitely and chews me out for letting it ring. I assumed he wasnt in his office, what other reason not to just hang up?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You haven't heard annoying until you heard the Cisco saxophone ringtones go on for 2 minutes.

For reference, skip to 1:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z9yfkZt2Z4

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SEKCobra posted:

One of my coworkers refuses to refuse my calls when in a meeting. He just lets it ring indefinitely and chews me out for letting it ring. I assumed he wasnt in his office, what other reason not to just hang up?

I have a co-worker who can't seem to not answer his cellphone during a meeting. It seems like both need to learn how to mute a ringing phone.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh for gently caress's sakes Time Warner why am I having to explain to you how your own static IPs work? I just want this combo unit to be a modem, just do that.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

mewse posted:

My keyboard doesn't work and I am a 30 minute drive across the city

Really?

"Plug it into a different USB port." Didn't work? OK, stand by.

cmd -> Shutdown /r /f /t 0 /m <remote ip>

If that doesn't work, then we'll send a physical person with a a spare keyboard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Caconym posted:

we'll send a physical person with a a spare keyboard.

Really?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Caconym posted:

Really?

If that doesn't work, then we'll send a physical person with a a spare keyboard.

I currently have a ticket for this. What does that actually do?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dogstile posted:

... what does the shutdown command do?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

dogstile posted:

Force an immediate reboot on target machine.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

... what does the shutdown command do?

I meant the rest of the slash's, but I suppose I could have googled them. The shutdown and the /f was self explanatory, I've never really done the other lot.

E: And like that, it makes sense. Thanks, google and fruit.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

dogstile posted:

shutdown /r(eboot) /f(orce all programs to close) /t(ime to shutdown in seconds (miliseconds? can't remember)) 0 /(co)m(puter) <target>

Other common flags include /s(hutdown) and /l(ogoff)

Linux is pretty much the same except the flags use "-" instead of "/", shutdown is -h, and you don't use -t for the time you just append the time at the end.

edit: it is seconds, and apparently you can specify a shutdown time of up to 10 years in the future :eyepop:

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 31, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

hihifellow posted:

shutdown /r(eboot) /f(orce all programs to close) /t(ime to shutdown in seconds (miliseconds? can't remember)) 0 /(co)m(puter) <target>

Other common flags include /s(hutdown) and /l(ogoff)

Linux is pretty much the same except the flags use "-" instead of "/", shutdown is -h, and you don't use -t for the time you just append the time at the end.

edit: it is seconds, and apparently you can specify a shutdown time of up to 10 years in the future :eyepop:

It's extra fun when you're logged into some device and screw this up like I did. I may or may not have been logged into a print server and did a reboot... except the reboot was 10 minutes from now. The best part? It helpfully logged me out after the shutdown command, but wouldn't let me log back in to do an immediate shutdown, it also wouldn't do anything else except wait for the reboot to happen. Thank god I didn't accidentally put 10 days or something dumb, although I was on the phone with someone on site at the time so they manually rebooted.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MF_James posted:

It's extra fun when you're logged into some device and screw this up like I did. I may or may not have been logged into a print server and did a reboot... except the reboot was 10 minutes from now. The best part? It helpfully logged me out after the shutdown command, but wouldn't let me log back in to do an immediate shutdown, it also wouldn't do anything else except wait for the reboot to happen. Thank god I didn't accidentally put 10 days or something dumb, although I was on the phone with someone on site at the time so they manually rebooted.

shutdown /a aborts the pending shutdown :ssh:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm glad we didn't know these commands with NT 4.0. My CS major classmates and I hosed with people enough just using netsend.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

hihifellow posted:

shutdown /a aborts the pending shutdown :ssh:

If only I could have logged back into the device to do that, but it refused all incoming connections after I executed the command, which is (I'm guessing) a design oversight/flaw.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

mewse posted:

Really?

Well, eventually... :v:

Pissing me off: we have consistent 40% packet loss to one of the nodes of our internal BigIP VPN thingy and the team respoblible just sits on our tickets. :argh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

If only I could have logged back into the device to do that, but it refused all incoming connections after I executed the command, which is (I'm guessing) a design oversight/flaw.
As mentioned above, the "/m" switch lets you send the command to a remote machine.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Pissing me off: After our network team and I spent two weeks trying to figure out a way to control the behavior of an F5 BigIP's port translation function, I finally suggested a setting that made it work the way we needed (assigning translated port numbers for active mode FTP data connections sequentially instead of randomly so it doesn't try to re-use port numbers a few seconds after the previous connection with the same endpoints was closed). Then last weekend the network guys updated the OS on their BigIPs, and now it's gone back to assigning port numbers randomly again. Even better, undoing our setting change, instead of just causing it to keep assigning ports randomly like before, now just causes it to use the same port as the previous connection every time. Seriously, what the gently caress, F5? :bang: (Of course, it wouldn't even be an issue if the BigIP's RNG wasn't so godawful that it somehow always picks the same number twice within a few dozen tries out of a pool of ~64k possible numbers... :downsgun: )

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I'm glad we didn't know these commands with NT 4.0. My CS major classmates and I hosed with people enough just using netsend.
I used to send a ping of death to people I didn't like in computer class in high school. NT4 workstation was vulnerable to that and it would just hard lock the computer.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
At some point, Windows lost the ability to stop a scheduled task after an arbitrary amount of time.

Either that, or it just hides the ability behind a dropdown list, which may be even worse.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

hihifellow posted:

9 years, 364 days and 2 hours from now...

"What the hell man, I didn't even save, the stupid computer just shut down!"

"Mine too! What the hell!"

:black101:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

You haven't heard annoying until you heard the Cisco saxophone ringtones go on for 2 minutes.

For reference, skip to 1:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z9yfkZt2Z4

Harpsichord ringtone here.

Seriously, someone in my office uses the "ARE YOU THERE?" ringtone and i want to beat him senseless.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Caconym posted:

Really?

If those switches aren't in a static order you could make it shutdown /r /t /f /m

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If those switches aren't in a static order you could make it shutdown /r /t /f /m

:eyepop:
I never noticed that.
I think /t needs a parameter if you use it at all though (default is 30 or something if you skip /t entirely)

namol
Mar 21, 2007

nitrogen posted:

Harpsichord ringtone here.

Seriously, someone in my office uses the "ARE YOU THERE?" ringtone and i want to beat him senseless.

My cisco ringtone is the Scatting Octopus from the Geico commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT1fUeWLFQc

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This is now considered good practice

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
Ok, story time. I'm curious to know what you guys make of this, not because I want to have ammo to fire at my boss (I plan to grovel like a dog), but more for my own sanity, I want to see if other people think this is a bizarre string of events.

I was working with a blackdiamond sxps this afternoon. It had been formerly used by another group, who had set the EDID's to a fixed resolution, and among other things I needed to set them to the resolution of the projectors we were using.

Cue consultation of the manual.

On pages 83-86 are a list of commands, some that relate to changing EDID's. At the bottom of page 85 is the command "PROGALLEDID", which resets all the inputs (the ones the graphics cards are attached to) to the factory default.

At the top of page 86 is the command "PROGEDID". It, and the four commands following it, all tell you to disconnect the input specified before issuing them. I noted the oddness between PROGALLEDID not requesting this and PROGEDID requesting it at the time, but shrugged and assumed that they would have put the warning on PROGALLEDID same as the others if it needed it.

I sent the PROGALLEDID command, and lost monitor signal, which was not unexpected. However, when it didn't return, I reset the PC and was greeted with the "video card error" beep code (1 long 2 short).

I went to do some simple troubleshooting of the card. I did a few basics (took the main monitor off the switch, plugged it directly into the card, no dice. Tried again with the built in graphics, still no success. Possibly relevant: I powercycled it and it booted fine, but still didn't display anything. I power cycled it again and the beepcode came back). So as a next step I decided to try a different PCI-e port.

Power off the PC, turn off the PSU, unplug it from the wall and then hit the power button on the PC to drain the caps. Seat the card in another slot and plug it in. Perfectly normal operation, no fuckups. As I went to plug the PSU back in, I brushed the turbocharge button on the back. I didn't know what it did at the time, so I pressed it again to reset it, but since it was a soft-on button I couldn't really be sure if I'd pressed it properly, so I can't be sure what state it was in when I turned the PC on. This is all with no power in the machine.

Plug the PSU in, flick the power switch on the PSU. Turn the PC on. BANG. PSU kills itself in dramtic fashion, tripping a circuit breaker in the process. No smoke, but something went up like a gun, no doubt about it.

So here's the thing:

Was I an incautious arse with the PROGALLEDID command, or was it reasonable for me to assume that blackdiamond would not include a "murder all graphics cards attached to this device" (fortunately only one in this case) command without at least affixing an explicit warning and/or a commandline "are you sure y/n?" question.

I don't actually know if the card is dead at this point, but it's not looking good, that's for sure (It's a Quadro 4000, they aren't cheap). Is this something about matrix switches that everyone but me knows? What the hell is it doing in the process of resetting the EDID that could damage an attached card, and why does it not do it when using, say, the COPYEDID command (p83)?

On top of that, did I gently caress up with the PSU, or was I a victim of staggering bad luck? The PSU turbocharge button says that all it does is allow the PSU to draw more power, and it should be specced to do so. It doesn't seem to be of the ilk of the old voltage change switches that we all flicked at least once on a primary school PC to see what they did.

I feel like I screwed up bad, but I think that nothing here was my fault.

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 1, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Caconym posted:

:eyepop:
I never noticed that.
I think /t needs a parameter if you use it at all though (default is 30 or something if you skip /t entirely)

Sadly, /t without a parameter doesn't do anything.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

namol posted:

My cisco ringtone is the Scatting Octopus from the Geico commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT1fUeWLFQc

If you had that in my office, I think it would be about 48hrs before you'd be using a receiver that had been inside my trousers.

and not in a sexy way.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Jesus why is it so hard not to set your toast on fire you fucks!

Sir_Substance posted:

I feel like I screwed up bad, but I think that nothing here was my fault.
My money is on a completely coincidental hardware failure, likely related to running such a high-end graphics card from such a low-end power supply.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"I don't have Todd Johnson's email address, can you send this to him?"

What's your email address?

jane.smith@company.com

"What's my email address?"

bob.morales@company.com

"If you had to guess, what would you think Todd Johnson's email is?"

:haw:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

"I don't have Todd Johnson's email address, can you send this to him?"

What's your email address?

jane.smith@company.com

"What's my email address?"

bob.morales@company.com

"If you had to guess, what would you think Todd Johnson's email is?"

:haw:

T.Johnson@company.com

His email never changed when the rollover to exchange 2003 came through. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

T.Johnson@company.com

His email never changed when the rollover to exchange 2003 came through. :v:

To be fair there are about 15 people who have been with the company for 20 years and have lastname@company.com

Not to mention the emails are in the COMPANY DIRECTORY on the intranet and on the phone list and probably 50 other places. Or call Todd and ask him, IT isn't your personal assistant.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair there are about 15 people who have been with the company for 20 years and have lastname@company.com

Not to mention the emails are in the COMPANY DIRECTORY on the intranet and on the phone list and probably 50 other places. Or call Todd and ask him, IT isn't your personal assistant.

I don't know either, but I think there's a place to check, and it's not the IT helpdesk.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

sfwarlock posted:

At some point, Windows lost the ability to stop a scheduled task after an arbitrary amount of time.

Either that, or it just hides the ability behind a dropdown list, which may be even worse.

It's hiding. It doesn't look like it but you can type into that dropdown box (I think you can do the same with any other dropdown in the scheduled task creator as well). I had a task running every 30 seconds that would stop after 25 seconds if it was still running. The server wasn't overly happy with it but it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off today? Android, android is pissing me off today.

Hey Android guys! Ueventd sucks! :argh:

No seriously, I understand the need for security, but adding any device to uevent is a gigantic pain in the rear end, and I am about to just write a good chunk of code to fix it, because this poo poo is turning into bullshit real quick.

Also the documentation straight up lies to you about it, specifically this area:

code:
system/core/init/readme.txt

on device-added-/dev/compass
   start akmd

on device-removed-/dev/compass
   stop akmd
See that poo poo? It doesn't exist in code, because that would be too easy.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 1, 2014