Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

The new Z/28 will be the pace car this year. :patriot:

When I'm at Belle Isle I'm gonna look into buying one of the Camaro pace cars because drat do they look good:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm kind of bummed we don't have a race for two weeks or so.

It's kind of a symptom and a problem that the sport has right now is that it really doesn't have much in terms of a "Week to week" momentum that NASCAR has.

Even with the race being kind of so-so in terms of being "Entertaining" on the track, off the track? We have quite a few things that would be intriguing to carry over to next week.

Also did anyone else feel that ABC/ESPN seems to be putting forth more of an effort with their ICS coverage?

It'd be really nice if the series could work out a better TV deal for the next go around. I'd ideally like to see a split between NBC/NBCSN/ABC/ESPN in some regard. (Both networks broadcast races on both their main networks and their cable stations)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also did anyone else feel that ABC/ESPN seems to be putting forth more of an effort with their ICS coverage?

Yeah it did seem like ABC/ESPN put in more effort, but the one thing that upsets me about their coverage is that they don't broadcast qualifying or the Indy Lights race like NBCSN does. When ESPN broadcasts Nationwide/Truck qualifying but not IndyCar, that bothers me a lot.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's kind of a symptom and a problem that the sport has right now is that it really doesn't have much in terms of a "Week to week" momentum that NASCAR has.

Well that's having a lack of races. The schedule is much more compressed now so mid-season there will be less breaks and on top with double-headers. I don't have a problem except adding more races and starting a little bit earlier, maybe early to mid march.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

KingShibby posted:

When I'm at Belle Isle I'm gonna look into buying one of the Camaro pace cars because drat do they look good:

Not trying to sound like a hater but that car looks ugly as hell.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Well that's having a lack of races. The schedule is much more compressed now so mid-season there will be less breaks and on top with double-headers. I don't have a problem except adding more races and starting a little bit earlier, maybe early to mid march.

I'd start mid-january, and then just leave most of February for Speedweeks.

Then come back the first week of march some place.

KingShibby posted:

Yeah it did seem like ABC/ESPN put in more effort, but the one thing that upsets me about their coverage is that they don't broadcast qualifying or the Indy Lights race like NBCSN does. When ESPN broadcasts Nationwide/Truck qualifying but not IndyCar, that bothers me a lot.

I kind of went through how ESPN did this when the IRL/CART had perhaps it's most visible time on TV.

2001, the two series were both on the ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 Family of networks. The year when both series pretty much met up at Indy, etc.

Here's how it broke down:
CART
8/21 races were on ABC Sports(38%)
2/21 races were on ESPN2 (9%)
11/21 races were on ABC Sports (53%)

IRL
7/13 races were on ABC Sports (53%)
1/13 races were on ESPN2 (7%)
5/13 races were on ESPN (40%)

So pretty much 44% of the time there was an IndyCar race on broadcast television of some sort. I want to say all qualifying was aired on ESPN/ESPN2 for CART, though I cannot say the same for the IRL. (I want to say yes, but I have no proof to back that up)

This isn't including how much coverage they gave the Month of May, as well as having Speed Channel, ESPN, and RPM 2 Night airing highlights. It also isn't including the Dayton Indy Lights, Formula Atlantics coverage as well. (Nor USAC which we can kind of count).

Compared to the current series:

ICS
5/18 races are on ABC on ESPN (27%)
13/18 races are on NBCSN (73%)

Qualifying/Indy Lights only airs on NBCSN (and 4 qualifying sessions will not be shown).

I'm unsure if this would be unfair though. It could have been the reason that Indy got increased coverage around that time was due to the NASCAR FOX/NBC deals, and ESPN pretty much tried to use them as a replacement. Also the economy was quite better, and it could have been a result of the Gordon bubble at the time.

Regardless it's not a good deal.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

BMB5150 posted:

Add a Sebring race, make it the day after the 12 hours.

Go back to New Hampshire, make sure that race is marketed better.

Providence also, possibly marketing it alongside the NH race and hold it the next week. Hell, see if you can get races in the other 4 New England states, make it a mini-championship.

Go to Laguna Seca. Add a race in the Pacific Northwest (maybe even revive Portland). Add more races in the fall.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Shameless self promotion for my iRacing league going into Season Two: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621266

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm at a pacers game and Lindy thackston is on my jumbotron :allears:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

Regardless it's not a good deal.

Reminder that the St Pete race got a .6 overnight on ABC. There's a reason IndyCar doesn't have a better TV deal.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ordinaire posted:

I'm starting to lean in this direction too. First impression was that Power was being an idiot, but I didn't know about acceleration zones being a thing. I'm glad Indycar didn't punish Power for what was ultimately their own gently caress-up.

At the race the announcers even said that it was good they didn't just jump all over Power and blame him but instead made a more level headed response because it was pretty clear that the green was early. You couldn't even see the cars from the other side of the straightaway where I was sitting before it happened. They had barely even come out of the last turn.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

Reminder that the St Pete race got a .6 overnight on ABC. There's a reason IndyCar doesn't have a better TV deal.

Jesus Christ, I knew the cable races were shithouse, but I figured the network races would pull a solid 1.0.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

Jesus Christ, I knew the cable races were shithouse, but I figured the network races would pull a solid 1.0.

Not going up against both an NCAA tournament elite 8 game and NASCAR.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, poo poo, I forgot about the NCAA stuff. That makes way more sense then.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

You're going against College Basketball, and a NASCAR race that went about 5 hours.

It's a chicken/egg problem.

Are people not watching because they're not aware of the product's existence?, or are they not watching because they choose not too?

If we had a broadcast partner akin to ABC/ESPN circa 2001 would the ratings be this low?

It certainly hurts that Indy's promotional department is way, way below NASCAR'S, let alone any given Stick and ball league/team.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They really need to add an earlier race, preferably an oval. A race at Phoenix at the start of March would be perfect, nothing other than NASCAR is really going on the first or second weekend of March.

e- maybe Homestead or Texas would work, too

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

They really need to add an earlier race, preferably an oval. A race at Phoenix at the start of March would be perfect, nothing other than NASCAR is really going on the first or second weekend of March.

NASCAR should not be running Phoenix in the spring.

It's bullshit they dropped Rockingham in favor of doing that. Because not only did they gently caress over an entire town with that stunt (it's depressing having to go through there now), but they also destroyed an open wheel tradition (that yes, USAC shared in as well) that had been going back to the 50's.

All for what? So we can hear Darrel Waltrip yammer on about Hanky-Panky or some poo poo while stock cars go single file?

VikingSkull posted:

e- maybe Homestead or Texas would work, too

Absolutely.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That racingnomics guy showed the week to week momentum thing is kind of a myth.

But yeah the season should start on an oval, it'd be cooler if it was a short oval. Pop the bigger ovals after the 500.

Martinsville :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The IRL drew comedy numbers for crowds the last few years they raced at Phoenix. This is not some kind of NASCAR plot to kill the heritage of open wheelers or some poo poo.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The IRL drew comedy numbers for crowds the last few years they raced at Phoenix. This is not some kind of NASCAR plot to kill the heritage of open wheelers or some poo poo.

Last years WNBA All Star game outdrew St. Petes :negative:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Right, but in theory when one has a 2nd NASCAR race, why would one bother to host an ICS race?

It's not a conspiracy theory, as it's kind of the result of NASCAR's incompetence spilling over to hurt another racing series.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If NASCAR never went to Phoenix at all, you could still argue that since 2000 Indycars would still draw poo poo crowds. That's a symptom of the split, not the France family. Sure, NASCAR causes some spillover issues for Indy, but the split is the main reason for most of the current woes in regards to ratings and race attendance.

e- also if Indy had any balls they'd invest in Rockingham or North Wilkesboro and claim them as their own

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 1, 2014

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Also dumb as poo poo to go to the east, then west, then east, and then west again. At least with Phoenix it groups things up with Vegas to keep travel going crazy. And remember Phoenix was long long gone from the IRL schedule and the Copper World Classic died along with it while NASCAR took it in 2011. NASCAR didn't kill it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

If NASCAR never went to Phoenix at all, you could still argue that since 2000 Indycars would still draw poo poo crowds. That's a symptom of the split, not the France family. Sure, NASCAR causes some spillover issues for Indy, but the split is the main reason for most of the current woes in regards to ratings and race attendance.

e- also if Indy had any balls they'd invest in Rockingham or North Wilkesboro and claim them as their own

Well and you could argue that the France Family and it's role in creating issues for ICS was caused by the split.

Maybe if cooler heads prevail in '96 we're not talking about Roger selling his tracks? Maybe Chicagoland is still co-owned by IMS?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Can't really fault them for taking advantage of the split, that was just great goddamned business sense. I would have done the same thing, especially when my daddy would regale me with stories of the guys at Indy tossing him out on his rear end at Thanksgiving dinner.

If there's one thing the France family is good at, it's holding a grudge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Truth. There weren't even any scalpers.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Right, but in theory when one has a 2nd NASCAR race, why would one bother to host an ICS race?

It's not a conspiracy theory, as it's kind of the result of NASCAR's incompetence spilling over to hurt another racing series.

More accurately it's not even an option. NASCAR screamed about the possibility of a late year street race when Champ Car was in its death throes because it was too close to the fall cup date. Even with lights you won't get anyone to PIR on a June, July, or August night (except me and my family). NASCAR will pitch a fit about a race in February, March, April, October, November, and probably September too. Which leaves you with January, May, or December.

They practically sell out both races too, even though the last two fall races I've been to we're pretty much poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I find humor in the fact that a family with the surname "France" is in charge of an American sport.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Can't really fault them for taking advantage of the split, that was just great goddamned business sense. I would have done the same thing, especially when my daddy would regale me with stories of the guys at Indy tossing him out on his rear end at Thanksgiving dinner.

If there's one thing the France family is good at, it's holding a grudge.

Well yeah.

NASCAR had every reason to kind of did what they did in the 90's.

CART and the IRL were squabbling the whole time over trivial poo poo.

NASCAR? They legitimately had a GREAT product. They had a great batch of stars, and they "Got it". Once they did a reverse sherman and found themselves at 16th and Georgetown in '94? That was the ultimate sign that it was they, and not Indycar that was the top in American Auto Racing.

There was probably a time during the late 1990's when the Brickyard was a bigger race (attendance wise) than the Indy 500. Really it made sense. Unlike CART/IRL which had seem fans camp out (stupidly mind you) against the other? They had a pretty unified and organized fanbase.

While the first CART teams were crossing the picket lines to race at the 500? NASCAR was signing record breaking TV deals.

IOwnCalculus posted:

More accurately it's not even an option. NASCAR screamed about the possibility of a late year street race when Champ Car was in its death throes because it was too close to the fall cup date. Even with lights you won't get anyone to PIR on a June, July, or August night (except me and my family). NASCAR will pitch a fit about a race in February, March, April, October, November, and probably September too. Which leaves you with January, May, or December.

They practically sell out both races too, even though the last two fall races I've been to we're pretty much poo poo.

The last time the president of PIR was asked about it, he said this:

quote:

Sperber would have to spend close to $1 million to market an IndyCar return. With no guarantee of a formidable crowd, he can't also afford to pay IndyCar's current asking price on a sanctioning fee believed to be about $1.5 million a race.

I don't know, I just think in theory that if PIR had only one Cup weekend, I don't think they'd be in position to be as stingy about it. I think one of the reasons that ICS is able to race at Fontana is because of that reason.

Pocono is a bit of wildcard, but I think the sport truly lucked out by finding a guy like Igdalsky who is one of the good guys in the sport.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know, I just think in theory that if PIR had only one Cup weekend, I don't think they'd be in position to be as stingy about it. I think one of the reasons that ICS is able to race at Fontana is because of that reason.

Sure, but... when they sell out (or near as possible in this economy) two Cup races a year, there's nobody (aside from open wheel fans) who want to drop either race. The fall race has been a chase staple, the spring race gets them somewhere to run that has much lower odds of inclement weather than the rest of the country in March, so both are a win for NASCAR. The crowds alone mean both are a win for Sperber.

I completely agree with the cause of the situation. No fans at the last IRL races here means no more IRL date means nice opening for NASCAR to double up on PIR, and I just don't see them letting that go.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's why I've always said the Indy guys need to go hat in hand to NASCAR and ask them for help. I don't say that to poo poo on Indy, I say it because that's realistically the easiest way to gain more ovals, and quickly. Go to them, ask to run on a Saturday night before a Cup race and basically be somewhat of a support series. NASCAR holds all the cards when it comes to ovals, and burying their heads in the sand and acting like they are still the superior series still ain't gonna help them.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

That's why I've always said the Indy guys need to go hat in hand to NASCAR and ask them for help. I don't say that to poo poo on Indy, I say it because that's realistically the easiest way to gain more ovals, and quickly. Go to them, ask to run on a Saturday night before a Cup race and basically be somewhat of a support series. NASCAR holds all the cards when it comes to ovals, and burying their heads in the sand and acting like they are still the superior series still ain't gonna help them.

I agree with this, but the odds of that happening are slim to none :smith:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FuzzySkinner posted:

They're compressing 18 races into five months what more do you want??

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/102371-indycar-paul-tracy-joins-nbcsn-broadcast-team

quote:

NBC Sports Group’s extensive coverage of the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series will feature 13 races, double-headers in Houston and Toronto, the season finale from Fontana, and two new members of its broadcast team, including former Indy car driver Paul Tracy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

The problem is...the fans that you're expecting to go buy tickets to this weekend are most likely going to separate like oil and water.

I can't recall, but one of the goons ITT went to the champcar race in 04/05 and reported a very similar thing.

There's auto racing fans, and then there's NASCAR fans. Auto racing fans? Chances are you can get them to go see ANYTHING, and they're likely following NASCAR as well. Anyone who's in the SASCAR/Indycar/Misc. universe fits that criteria.

NASCAR fans? Don't give a poo poo, and likely will never care. NASCAR fans are likely in the majority. It's not even just about not caring about Indy, but I guarantee they wouldn't share any interest with watching a dirt race, or several other forms of the sport.

Now...I do see two Nationwide races where in theory this could be attempted. (Chicagoland and Kentucky), but I don't see either track promoter all that interested in it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah, Axbreaker and I went to the Trucks/CART doubleheaders in Vegas, I think easily 60-70% of the crowd left after the Trucks were done. It was a nice idea, at least.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
It completely baffles me that people would rather watch NASCAR over IndyCar. IndyCars are faster, higher tech, better looking (imo), and require more skill to drive.

The only reasons I can think of are that they can bump and that they are simpler for Americans to understand.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Apart from the split, it's probably because after about 2001 Indycars and Champcars combined for ten consecutive years of absolutely dogshit racing product.

As for running to NASCAR, I'm just wary of any scenario that involves DMG taking over Indycar. Apart from them murdering AMA, (and I really do not have high hopes for new new USRC after Daytona and Sebring) this would result in Daytona owning every single major aspect of US motorsport apart from, like, GRC or some poo poo, which would be bad out of principle.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 1, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

It completely baffles me that people would rather watch NASCAR over IndyCar. IndyCars are faster, higher tech, better looking (imo), and require more skill to drive.

The only reasons I can think of are that they can bump and that they are simpler for Americans to understand.

NASCAR earned their fanbase in the 90's by having a great product.

period.

They had some great personalities, some unique tracks, and really connected with the auto racing fan at the the time.

I would not understand why one would be a recent convert though.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

I would not understand why one would be a recent convert though.

Marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KingShibby posted:

CART and the IRL pissed away any goodwill the series had after 1995; Americans "understood" it just fine and enjoyed it.

• Locked thread