Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Rare earth magnets come all the way down to 1mm.

Yep. In my experience 1mm are a little weak even for plastic bits resting on top of one another. Get 2 or 3mm by 2mm and they will give a good strong hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ah noted. Guess I'll need to order a bunch then since I was planning on magnetizing some Leman Russ main guns too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The first good day for priming since last summer, and I slept through half of it. :negative: At least I got a Skyray and Riptide primed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

X-post from the 40k thread.

Using photoshop, I've mocked up my colour scheme for my Scions.

Just want to know what you guys think, and how I would achieve it easily.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

First time I've picked up my brushes in six months, god drat I'm rusty.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

X-post from the 40k thread.

Using photoshop, I've mocked up my colour scheme for my Scions.

Just want to know what you guys think, and how I would achieve it easily.

Looks nice enough to consider getting some and I don't even play 40k.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cooked Auto posted:

So I'm almost done with a set of heavy weapon gun tractors for my IG but I'm kinda uncertain how I want to mount the weapons onto the tractors. Either I just glue them onto the top which means they can't rotate or be swapped or I get some plasticard to cover up the original mounting hole and drill a smaller hole in for the guns to be mounted on so I can swap them out if I so want to.

I too vote for magnets. If you're looking for other feedback, I'd consider giving them stabilizing legs like on a thunderfire cannon. That big gun on the little tractor seems like it would be... wobbly?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I too vote for magnets. If you're looking for other feedback, I'd consider giving them stabilizing legs like on a thunderfire cannon. That big gun on the little tractor seems like it would be... wobbly?

I guess so even if they looked kinda okay when I tried them before painting.

No idea how to make them though, other than I guess cutting up a bunch of the HWT bipods. Maybe I've got more of those than Mortar tubes but I'm not too sure.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Though, how many soulgrinders do I need?

A lot if they're painting like that

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Posted this earlier in the 40k thread:

Here come some crappy pictures - yesterday and this morning I just finished my IG artillery choices. 1 Manticore, 2 basilisks.

Happy with them. Only table top quality, there are a few little imperfections and low-effort bits. The more detailed things I did - scorched barrel ends, lenses on searchlights etc, squadron markings, crew details, and the nameplates, I am more or less happy with. Some of them didn't quite come off as I'd hoped. Still better than nothing.

Named the basilisks 'revenge' and 'retribution' and the Manticore 'surprise'.

Unfortunately I'm the kind of person who now feels the need to have 3 basilisks and 3 manticores. Symmetry for the squadron god!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Please, paint ROYAL MAIL on one of the missiles.

And a pilot wearing a chainmail shirt. :downsrim:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Please, paint ROYAL MAIL on one of the missiles.
But, you can't ship missiles with Royal Mail. I mean, there's paint on them! :v:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
So I didn't actually get this thing painted while Helbrutes were relevant in discussion, and I've had this guy built since Dark Vengeance was released, but it's finally done. I wasn't too fond of the regular face Helbrutes have, so I swapped it with the big eye from Chaos Spawn kit to give it a more alien, less human look.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Crosspost!

quote:

Oath Complete!

Detektuv's Jurnal is that he's a composite of 3 other kits as described in my oath post.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just poured water effects for the first time. Hope it turns out well! It's supposed to be murky white before it cures right?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just poured water effects for the first time. Hope it turns out well! It's supposed to be murky white before it cures right?

Hope you didnt pour more than a couple of mm at once. With water effects the more you pour, the longer it takes to cure. One of my friends made the mistake of doing an entire river in one hit and it was still curing 4 months later.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
xpost

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Working on a Ravenwing guy. I know the entire Ravenwing is supposed to be mounted on bikes but whatever they're going in a drop pod.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

serious gaylord posted:

Hope you didnt pour more than a couple of mm at once. With water effects the more you pour, the longer it takes to cure. One of my friends made the mistake of doing an entire river in one hit and it was still curing 4 months later.

This was what sadly led to my water mage's wall of water collapsing into a sort of flop of water in last month's Oath... Water Effects dries in about 24 hours if poured thinly, but cures... a lot longer.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm painting up my Super Dungeon Explore minis and I want that bright cartoon look. Should I highlight? Edge highlight? Or just paint them flat?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I'm painting up my Super Dungeon Explore minis and I want that bright cartoon look. Should I highlight? Edge highlight? Or just paint them flat?
Highlight but don't blend/feather the edges between layers, so you get that 16-bit look :allears:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I think anything would work, as long as the colors were super saturated. Or you could go insane and cel shade.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, just use super-vibrant colours. LOTS of thin layers, and nothing like washes or drybrushing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

serious gaylord posted:

I poured 1/8th of an inch like the instructions said(maybe a little more in a couple deep spots). It's 9-10 hours later and it appears to be coming along nicely. The bottom is still murky but you can tell that the top is clear.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Got home from work and it's totally clear besides the low spots at the very bottom. My swamp tar pit crater looks pretty sweet, I'll post some pics tomorrow when it's hopefully totally clear.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Crosspost from 40k thread

The Sisko posted:

I posted earlier about how I'm fixing up an army for my little brother. I finally managed to strip some of the worst offenders of our ebay rescues and its yielded some interesting results.

Here they are before I stripped them.

I don't know what this model is exactly. What I do know was that it took almost 30 minutes to scrub off 3 layers of paint.

I love the pose of this model. I think I'll call him Sergeant Gaston. (Also has an Inquisition shoulder pad)

"He went that way!"

Also whoever mentioned Castrol Super Clean deserves a medal. Made stripping them a piece of cake.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Xpost

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Almost finished a Ravenwing guy, going to be with a drop pod squad (their bikes are being repaired)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Man I do love it when stuff arrives in the mail the day after you order it. :D Got the magnets now to start magnetizing the Weapon tractors and guns then.

Turns out it was such a tight fit with the 3mm magnets I didn't even need to bother gluing and just need to push them down.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 1, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cooked Auto posted:

Turns out it was such a tight fit with the 3mm magnets I didn't even need to bother gluing and just need to push them down.

Still - glue them in. You don't want the magnets to come out at a bad time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Still - glue them in. You don't want the magnets to come out at a bad time.

Considering I had to really force them in I would like to doubt that.
Or in other words, I saw this message a bit too late and there is no way I can actually pry them loose right now without damaging the model.

Now for the guns I'm gonna have to cut off the knob and then probably drill either a 3mm or 1,5mm hole into the base for the magnets. Might just go with the 1,5mm magnets because the base on the autocannons is just 4mm wide which doesn't leave much room for errors.
Now I wonder if we even have such small drills in this house or not.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cooked Auto posted:

Or in other words, I saw this message a bit too late and there is no way I can actually pry them loose right now without damaging the model.

Just layer some CA/super glue over the top of the magnet and let it fully dry. It'll seep into any gaps.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Sisko posted:

Crosspost from 40k thread

Also whoever mentioned Castrol Super Clean deserves a medal. Made stripping them a piece of cake.

While I found the Super Clean recommendation elsewhere, I brought it here, and you're drat right I'll take credit. After all the nay-saying I got, to hear that people actually use it and can see how much better it is, is genuinely satisfying.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Just layer some CA/super glue over the top of the magnet and let it fully dry. It'll seep into any gaps.

Ah good point, will do that later then.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah good point, will do that later then.

Just wait and see if it pops out during normal use. If it does then glue it; if it doesn't then don't.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just wait and see if it pops out during normal use. If it does then glue it; if it doesn't then don't.

Yo IB! I tried PMing you last week, can you drop me an email? krushgroove169 at gmail.com

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Yo IB! I tried PMing you last week, can you drop me an email? krushgroove169 at gmail.com

PM inbox has been culled. Message away.

(I'm worried I know what this is about).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

(I'm worried I know what this is about).

Cue Jaws music...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

That wasn't what I thought it was going to be at all. (Replied in PM).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So, this is quite possibly one of the best Phantoms I've ever seen.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

serious gaylord posted:

So, this is quite possibly one of the best Phantoms I've ever seen.

What have I been doing with my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I recently picked up a Stormwall for Warmachine, and while I'm still cleaning it up, I'm going to be starting on painting it in the next month or two. My brother suggested that I use spraypaint to account for the white areas I plan to have on my Stormwall, owing to the sheer size of it. I use Krylon White for primer, but would Krylon Flat White be good over it, or is there another suggested white spraypaint?

• Locked thread